• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8's Soundtrack is Amazing

ffdgh

I nearly lost my shit when I heard the first race track music from Mario Kart 64 sounding the way it did on the direct.

Can OP (or anyone) divide the tracks up by which game they come from. Not much into Mario Kart but I love this music. Really, I just want to know which ones are from Mario Kart 64.

Just mario kart 64?

Royal Raceway
Yoshi Valley
Toad's turnpike
N64 rainbow road.

Gardex

Everything about Mario Kart 8 seems to be amazing.

Except Battle mode... NINTEEENDOOOO!!!!111111oneabc
While the stages leave something to be desired, we're still getting battle mode like it was back in the N64 days, and this time with customizable rules.

Still crossing my fingers for a secret Block Fort hidden in the game.

jett

D-Member
I love how much effort Nintendo is putting in their flagship games' soundtracks.

...but why couldn't Tropical Freeze get live instruments too :|

Oidisco

I love how much effort Nintendo is putting in their flagship games' soundtracks.

...but why couldn't Tropical Freeze get live instruments too :|

It did use a lot of live instruments, but they processed the music to make it sound more in-line with the original trilogy. David Wise mentioned it in an interview last year.

Sherbet Land hits me right in the nostalgia, always enjoyed that theme and I'm glad they kept the whistling.
Moo Moo Meadows and Rainbow Road 64 are also top stuff but then again I always considered the originals as two of the best in MK music.

As a whole this soundtrack is a big step up from the post MK64 soundtracks which have all just been pretty basic stuff outside a few exceptions, not sure if this one is full on amazing quite yet, I might just be duped by the use of live instruments on top of the usual Mario Kart fare.
That being said a number of the new themes jump right out at me, the main theme, Shy Guy Falls, Dolphin Saxophone Shoals to name a few.

This sounds like an inspirational Christian rock ballad.

But instead of being about Jesus, it's about Captain Falcon.
Well damn, upon listening again I can't argue with this statement.

Yep, the soundtrack is amazing. And this is coming from someone who deeply disliked MK7's soundtrack (which I found to be completely boring), and haven't truly liked an MK soundtrack since 64.

jett

D-Member
It did use a lot of live instruments, but they processed the music to make it sound more in-line with the original trilogy. David Wise mentioned it in an interview last year.

Source? TF's soundtrack was mostly synthetic as far as I could tell.

Josh7289

I'm seriously considering buying the game just for the soundtrack. At the very least I'm really hoping for a soundtrack release.

EDIT: I pre-ordered it.

Oidisco

Source? TF's soundtrack was mostly synthetic as far as I could tell.

It was from a podcast interview back in December. Not sure what part he mentions it at, been a while since I listened to it. The actual interview starts at 10:00. The whole thing is pretty long, mostly focusing on his history composing and what it was like working with the different systems.

There is a lot of synth too ofcourse, but there's a tonne of live instruments too. I actually thought it was mostly synth as well, until David said otherwise!

The Boat

Brilliant soundtrack, a shame there's no option to mix the sound and put the sound effects lower. It's hard to focus on the music will all the sounds when you're playing 4 player.

I agree very much so! :D Between 3D World, Tropical Freeze and now MK8 Nintendo really produces amazing soundtracks again lately and they add a ton to the games! :) Dolphin Sholes (I love the jazz-y vibes!) and RR64 are my favorites so far!

I... I don't even... as kind of cheesy that is, it's amazing... why didn't I heard this before? o.o Oh yeah because I never made it past level one in F-Zero GX's Story mode :(

Waiting for game release.

I can't get behind listening to a game's soundtrack before even playing it.

Afterward, sure. But part of the joy of playing a new game is experiencing everything in a complete package.

Also, had to turn off the Nintendo Direct the other day... just too spoilery. Game will be out soon. I can wait.

entremet

Does the main theme harken another piece of music? It's on the tip of my tongue. The sax section melody reminds me of something from the 8-16 bit day.

Good to hear. I didn't listen cause I want to hear it in game first, but Mario kart and Mario kart 64 had amazing soundtracks and after that it turned into kiddy baby noises and trumpets and kooky sounds.

Yeah, Moo Moo Meadows is my favorite so far, haven't heard them all yet. I love the variety in this soundtrack, definitely going to buy it when/if they release it!

Effect

Amazing!!!

I'm glad there is no voice chat during online races now. I personally wouldn't want anything ruining this soundtrack.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Bowser's Castle is great and all but it ain't got nothing on the King
Really loving the new verison of Cheep Cheep Beach. Dat xylophone

Top Bottom