• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO GHOUL |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

tokyoghoulbannervfk7m.jpg

SYNOPSIS
In modern day Tokyo, society lives in fear of Ghouls: mysterious creatures who look exactly like humans -- yet hunger insatiably for their flesh. None of this matters to Ken Kaneki, a bookish and ordinary young man, until a dark and violent encounter turns him into the first ever Ghoul-human half breed. Trapped between two worlds, Ken must survive the violent conflicts of warring Ghoul factions, while attempting to learn more about Ghoul society, his newfound powers, and the fine line between man and monster.
STAFF
Original Creator : Sui Ishida
Director : Shuhei Morita
Series Composition: Mikasano Chuji
Character Design: Kazuhiro Miwa
Music: Yutaka Yamada
Animation Studio : Studio Pierrot

Cast
Natsuki Hanae as Ken Kaneki
Sora Amamiya as Tōka Kirishima
Kana Hanazawa as Rize Kamishiro
Katsuyuki Konishi as Kōtarō Amon
Mamoru Miyano as Shū Tsukiyama
Shintarō Asanuma as Nishiki Nishio
Sumire Morohoshi as Hinami Fueguchi
Takahiro Sakurai as Uta
Takayuki Sugo as Yoshimura
Toshiyuki Toyonaga as Hideyoshi Nagachika
Yūichi Nakamura as Renji Yomo

Promo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNGhKIcHVQc

Why should I watch this?
If you like grim dark edgy horror action battle where people gets brutally murdered and being feast upon not to mention struggles and despair then look no further this show is for you!

How long is this show?
1 cour which is equivalent to 12 episodes.

Where can I watch it?
You can watch it on funimation
http://www.funimation.com/shows/tokyo-ghoul/home
For Austrialia and New Zealand
http://www.animelab.com/beta
France
http://www.wakanim.tv/library/animes-TI4J/2F/tokyo-ghoul/ShowEpisodes

The first episode is already out.

ominator

Neo Member
What a coincidence. just an hour ago my girlfriend told me to read the manga, which we got at free comic book day. I will read it later.

Cerity

I've been reading the manga and can say this is should be very much worth watching. The fighting is a little generic but it's great when it comes to dealing with ghoul and human relationships. Kaneki sits right on the fence of the two worlds and it's fantastic to see how he deals with both having to live as a half-breed and the (toxic) relationship between humans and ghouls.

He also becomes a certified badass later on, his growth as a character is done really well IMO.

Pretty mature and darkish and bordered on being hilarious even though it didnt mean to be, the food scene in his home and his favorite hamburger for example.
tumblr_n85swqoeOD1rpfx57o1_500.gif

Though I like it for Hide and his voice and friendship with Kaneki.

I wonder if it will be anime original end or just an random ending point due to the episode count.

Song used to end the first episode was excellent for that scene. I just wish they didnt cram so much info on all the groups and their social structure into one minute like that.

Nasser

This episode was pretty good, first half was ok then it got better towards the end.

Question for manga readers, does the episode follow the manga exactly the same?

Mecha

This episode was pretty good, first half was ok then it got better towards the end.

I believe the beginning of the episode wasn't at the start of the manga.

Blusby

Lol no, it pretty much went through to the first half of chapter 6, skipped chapters 2 & 4 (4 will be in the next ep probably, 2 is forever gone), cut down Kaneki's intial meetings with Touka from three to one, and cut out key monologues that introduce the core themes of the narrative as well as cleverly hint at the MC's development path. I can imagine how they'll rush through the plot, stripping away the intrigues of Kaneki's character in order to make it all fit into one-cour. It's Brynhildr all over again, though it looks damn pretty, so it's not a total loss.

Maybe it's because I am reading the manga but I didn't like the first episode. I felt it completely lacked any subtlety at all. Kaneki looking at the mirror and seeing Rize in the reflection was completely unnecessary and just showed how the show felt that the audience was stupid and needed to have everything rammed down their throats.

What was the purpose of telling us that blades cannot hurt ghouls just before Kaneki is about to stab himself?! The whole point of that scene in the manga is to make you squeamish as Kaneki actively rationalises about hitting the right organ and getting a transplant, instead the anime straight up tells you it wont work which removes any possible tension. The loss of Kaneki's internal monologue makes the entire mood completely different, and not in a good way.

The artstyle lost the high contrast used in the manga and instead is overly saturated colours. At the very least they could've used the style for the manga covers which is a lot better.

RangerBAD

First few minutes are wrong. Introduces a character way early which means that I have an idea of what they'll try to adapt up to and that also means we're getting an anime ending. And, yeah, there were other things missing like someone else said and also some non-manga sequences added.

Lol no, it pretty much went through to the first half of chapter 6, skipped chapters 2 & 4 (4 will be in the next ep probably, 2 is forever gone), cut down Kaneki's intial meetings with Touka from three to one, and cut out key monologues that introduce the core themes of the narrative as well as cleverly hint at the MC's development path. I can imagine how they'll rush through the plot, stripping away the intrigues of Kaneki's character in order to make it all fit into one-cour. It's Brynhildr all over again, though it looks damn pretty, so it's not a total loss.

Brynhildr stayed on course until skipping an arc and just snipping things out to get to the ending they wanted.

Nasser

hmm that means I should be reading the manga instead. I hate it when anime start messing up the original story from the beginning.

duckroll

Hahahahahahaha. Episode 1 was so edgy I feel like I got cut all over just watching it. It's so ridiculous it can't even be offensive. Solid animation, great colors, really stupid premise, and some confusing direction here and there, but man, dat edge. It's like watching Underworld reimagined as a shounen action anime, without the sexy lead. Less guns, more OM NOM NOM NOM. Roflmao.

Not sure if it'll be able to last 12 episodes of this, but I'll try, the visuals are really pretty. Too bad it's pretty heavily censored!

Adrian

Banned
subscribed, gotta check the manga for plot development, I've been reading Gantz recently and seems like a cool anime to keep that gore going on

It seems good, The first half was kinda dry until the climax of the episode then the show started to get interesting. Ill keep this on my anime watch list.

Also,When does this show usually come on Funimation?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, despite the awesome production values, I'm definitely going to just read the manga instead. The changes sound pretty awful.

Hahahahahahaha. Episode 1 was so edgy I feel like I got cut all over just watching it. It's so ridiculous it can't even be offensive. Solid animation, great colors, really stupid premise, and some confusing direction here and there, but man, dat edge. It's like watching Underworld reimagined as a shounen action anime, without the sexy lead. Less guns, more OM NOM NOM NOM. Roflmao.

Not sure if it'll be able to last 12 episodes of this, but I'll try, the visuals are really pretty. Too bad it's pretty heavily censored!

lol, if you're impressed by the edginess here, I hope you plan on watching Akame ga Kill.

Awrans

Neo Member
Interesting! Episode 1 succeeded in showing how cruel to be different from others and how awful to realize that and accept it. Loved what i saw from this show.

DominoKid

food scene was hilarious.
kaneki not wanting to eat was hilarious.

but i was highly entertained.
i just wish it was 26 eps instead of 12.

I like the premise, I think it has potential to be interesting but, as some of you gaffer said before, the OVER-THE-TOP reactions in certain situations like the hamburguer scene or that part where he didn't want to eat and the girl shove a piece of meat into his mouth in slowmo made go "da fuck?".

I hope it gets better from now on.

Dennis

Banned

Don't you watch Sword Online?

I'm gonna give this a try, love this kind of anime. a little disappointed its not following its source material more closely though.

Kinyou

I don't mind some streamlining. Thought some of the manga was a bit too slow at times. Though they should have left the first meeting with Touka. Here she comes off as a little too nice

Considering some parts of the PV have scenes from chapters in the 70s, A LOT of stuff is going to be skipped or condensed. It seems the morality issue won't be as big of a plot point and they'll just get to the straight battle seinen action as quick as possible.

Blusby

Considering some parts of the PV have scenes from chapters in the 70s, A LOT of stuff is going to be skipped or condensed. It seems the morality issue won't be as big of a plot point and they'll just get to the straight battle seinen action as quick as possible.
A real shame as the battles in Ghoul admittedly really aren't all that great.

Really didn't enjoy the first episode much. I pretty much knew what was going to happen about 2-4 minutes in.

Also don't like how it's trying to take itself so serious yet some things just come off pretty silly and you can't help to laugh. I thought it would end up being a bit more serious in tone, similar to Hellsing or D.

Will keep watching though.

I find ironic that Mr. Edgy is immune to edges (i.e. knifes!).

I wonder if them skipping the "morality issue" is maybe a good thing, as I would hated them being overbearing with it.

Okay. I liked the first episode so I decided to give the manga a chance. Boy... It's amazing! Now I kind of dislike the anime because it skips a lot of content and change some things.

Just watched the first episode (have not read the manga btw) and wanted to post in the anime thread before I saw this OT.

This wasn't any good to me really. As pointed out pretty much every tragic/dramatic moment is so over the top that it achieves exactly the opposite. This being a shonen anime and having the MC scream like that in the first episode already, Jesus, that's going to be annoying.

Completely agree with Moral Panic's comment as well. Absolutely zero subtlety. I rolled my eyes when he was at home listening to the TV which just so happens to speak about Ghoul's eating habits, you know, just when our MC was wondering about that. There's too many scenes with this kind of garbage TV exposition anyways.

Since this sounds like the same voice actor that also voices Eren Jäger I was especially annoyed by the melodrama because those moments are pretty much the biggest weakpoint in AoT, too. So I didn't want to be reminded of that ;p

Otherwise just... so very generic and predictable, I'll probably drop it soon. The amount of "badass" characters we've already gotten is way too high, too. And the few battle segments we had so far were completely lame. I just hate it when injuries and body physics feel just so unrealistic. Like how MC just runs away despite having his fucking shoulder partially bitten off and then just getting smashed through some brick wall or so, which should kill or severely injure him if he's human but he just immediately stands up. Ergh.

I just don't think I need a generic shonen anime.

Tokyo Ghoul 02

Still better than average visuals, but behind ep1 in that regard. It's the typical more budget than usual for the first episodes, I suppose around episode 4 it will be just your normal weekly anime and won't be a strong point any more.

Though the heavy censoring (black screen!, inverted colors scene lol!) messed it up in this episode.

So this is predictable.
We predicted him clutching hard on the notion of still being a human and negating everything, it happened. We predicted being emo because he isn't nor human nor ghoul,and it won't fit well anywhere it happened (and still will happen in the following eps, I imagine). In the middle of the episode I predicted him not eating putting in danger his close friend by making the crazed hunger worse, it happened. I predicted receiving a powerup or activating his abilities to save his friend, hey, guess what!
Add to that the bad guy being unredeemable one-dimensional bad, and the crazy looking guy at the end doesn't look much better, and the little hope the first episode gave is starting to evaporate.

I liked the opening, and the illustrating used in the ED are nice. At least something positive?

edit: of I forgot, the post ED scene played for laughs was tone-jarring.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Should this show be intending to be reminding me of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Deadman Wonderland?

If being Brynhidr all over again means we get 40 manga chapters translated into english in the span of a few month, bring on the rushed ending.

Live in UK. Managed to get kill la kill and attack on Titan on us Netflix. Is there any place I can watch this online?
Looked in to crunchy roll but don't have it here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom