• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO GHOUL |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackage

I thought the manga started off great, then it got awful for a long time, then all of a sudden (minor spoiler)
the main char doesn't suck anymore
, and that's where I am with it.

I kind of want to just hold off watching the anime until it gets to that point heh.

Tacitus_

Watched the first episode (2nd seems to be behind a paywall for now). Praise Sagan for region unblockers.
The art is cool and the theme could be interesting.

Nasser

second episode was good... Expect the censorship, which I can understand, but man what a let down. I fell in love with the opening guys.

Frog-fu

Banned
Been looking forward to this one for a while. The first episode was... interesting. Will watch episode 2 later tonight.

duckroll

Episode 2

That was pretty bad. If not for the stuff towards the end I would seriously consider dropping the show entirely. The premise is still edgy as fuck and ridiculous, but the drop in production values makes it much less enjoyable since I really don't give a fuck about the story. At least when the action started there's the promise of some nice fights and cool powers. I wonder if the weird ass color switch was a form of censorship... lol. Anyway, the sooner they drop the lameass "character" stuff and go full shonen fight action, the better. I like the action and powers, I don't really care about anything else. And at least the fights have good animation. Can't say the same for the rest of the episode.

I suspect this will be me by the end of this series:

powyEYg.jpg

Much better than episode one
though why Hide have to be kicked and out of commission for much of the show, it would be good if he can go ahead and learn about Kaneki ghoul nature since he is best friends, and seemingly his only friend

Post credit scene was funny
surely he isnt dead?

Mononoke

Banned
I'm kind of enjoying this like a b-movie/trashy sort of thing. I don't expect there to be much depth to the plot (maybe I'm wrong?). So far I've enjoyed all the Ghoul stuff. SO basically, I'm in as long as it entertains me.

Forkball

Pretty mature and darkish and bordered on being hilarious even though it didnt mean to be, the food scene in his home and his favorite hamburger for example.
tumblr_n85swqoeOD1rpfx57o1_500.gif

Though I like it for Hide and his voice and friendship with Kaneki.

I wonder if it will be anime original end or just an random ending point due to the episode count.

Song used to end the first episode was excellent for that scene. I just wish they didnt cram so much info on all the groups and their social structure into one minute like that.
light-eats-a-potato-chip-o.gif

when I watched new anime by 2nd episode I would raise my hands and left, but 2nd episode still keeping me interested...actually good episode.
The main guy's power kinda reminds me of Naruto's Nine Tails. Not only because of the appendages on his back but Rize's influence showing up. Also the main character changing to berserker mode.

now I have 2 animes to look forward to (its been awhile)

Kinyou

The censorship is kinda off putting. I just want them to get to the fun stuff of the manga but that may still take a while.

The city scene when its panning upward on the CCG building was one of my favorite parts, I thought it looked great least in HD and on a 40 inch screen or so, reminded me of one of my parts of the initial pv for the series when it was going to the building there.

Alright episode better than the first two. Still kicking Hide to the sidelines was necessary.

Finalow

y this is thread is so dead, it was on page 9 lol.

episode 3 was pretty weak. nothing really happened and it basically set some things in motion for the next one. still a better episode than the second one. not sure why the tsundere girl says "I'm gonna keelll your friend if he knowssss" since his only friend is clearly immortal. (>see episode 2) at least the new character looks interesting.

that being said, if the mc keeps crying and behaving like an autistic kid (it was resonable to do that for the first episodes after it happens, and ok the next one too but then you just stop) and if they keep censoring fights like they did in the first episodes, I drop it.

Episode 3:

Wow that character at the very start of the episode cracking his knuckles with only one hand. I thought I was the only one who did that.

thenexus6

I checked out the first episode yesterday, interesting idea but not sure if I will still with it.. maybe i'll wait for a for more episodes to come out and try them again

BtVLMwlCIAIl_d8.jpg

Gullible
Kaneki is great. Alright episode, I kind of really liked it just for Mr. Tsukiyama's voice, when he would sound like a mix of Rin with the over the topness of Karnevals Yogi mixed with Nobunaga from Nobunaga the Fool it was awesome.

Why was he showering though, best pointless scene.

Qvoth

i didn't watch the anime, but i thought they were showering to get rid of the sweat?
in the manga the dinner was 3 person, the journalist, a fat lady and kaneki, is the anime version different? pretty sure the journalist was told to shower as well, and the announcer mentioned they will get rid of the lady's make up

Rnr1224

Just started watching this and i am loving it so far. I love the dark and horror tone. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Finalow

dead OT is dead.

just copy-pasting from the anime thread some impressions of the last episode and the anime, which I should have dropped but whatever.

Tokyo Ghoul 8 / Anime

now that I've read the manga I just gotta deal with the fact the anime adaptation is bloody awful.
the whole fight Amon vs Kaneki was terrible while in the manga it's pretty good. Kaneki doesn't get beaten up for no reason like a dumb kid (which he is, but not as dumb as the anime portraits him) and then he suddenly bites him. he realizes whatever he said "I'm the only one - I have to make him understand etc" *ghoul eye activated, then he provokes him - Amon loses his concentration, Kaneki dodges his attacks and bites him.
the Mado fight, well, I didn't even like it in the manga. it's funny how *manga spoilers*
Hinami is totally useless after that, like they use her just a couple of times for "her senses" and that's it.
while from this fight she appears to have some super kagune capable of killing a pretty skilled investigator.

anyhow, as far as I remember the scene Mado vs Jason and the whole Jason "introduction" is just an anime filler. I don't understand why they would do that since they're trying to skip a lot of stuff. they also did the whole ghoul restaurant thing way before it happens in the manga, they also did it much worse. like Kaneki going there for no reason besides "uuh let's accept my weird friend invitation" makes him even more stupid, while he actually has a reason in the manga.

and censorship, it's really awful etc. but I can't imagine how they're going to deal with some scenes later on if they can't even show an hand getting cut off, lol. they even changed the hand that Hinami was holding with a purse.

-

anyway, if you find the show somehow interesting just drop the anime and read the manga. it's not bad and it's surely better than his anime counterpart.

Qvoth

i really recommend the manga, should really check it out
anyway for the
torture
scene i expect they will just do a kaneki scream into blackout or something like that

Finalow

i really recommend the manga, should really check it out
anyway for the
torture
scene i expect they will just do a kaneki scream into blackout or something like that
yes it might be like that, or even with most of the screen being black and you just see their faces. it's going to be really bad and it won't have the same effect as the manga, that's for sure.

Really liking the Anime, didn't know there were changes from the manga. Maybe they will reboot the anime, if it gains enough interest.
if you like it you should probably try the manga. they won't go too far with the first season anyway.

I'm with Rynocirator, I'm enjoying this show, manga accuracy be damned! It's pretty to look at but mmm...not a whole lot to talk about. :/

RubyFaith

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO I THOUGHT THIS ANIME WAS FINISHED

I ONLY BINGE ON ANIME

AND IT'S TOO LATE TO START THE MANGA

kaneki_after_eating_burger_and_tears_up.gif

RubyFaith

Episode 9 was great but man this anime is moving at such a fast and weird pace, I can't see how they're going to wrap everything up in just three episodes and they STILL haven't told us Rize's deal.

Regiruler

That feel when you binge without knowing it was unfinished.
I had no idea this anime was so recent.

Kaneki for most useless shonen protag ever?

phaze

That feel when you binge without knowing it was unfinished.
I had no idea this anime was so recent.

Kaneki for most useless shonen protag ever?

Touka is badass enough for the two of them. :)

I'm usually the first to rail against whiny, useless characters but for some reason, I find Kaneki weirdly endearing. He took down Nishiki and Amon so its not like he's completely useless.

In general, I think the show managed to pick itself nicely after the incoherent mess that was the Gourmet arc. I hope they will get to continue the show but with at least two cours so as not to repeat the incessant rush through the chapters.

Started this a few days ago, I'm on episode 8.

Absolutely love this anime. They don't sell the manga anywhere around here but I intend on reading it online.

The concept is pretty incredible and the characters developments tend to be a bit slow but I believe its starting to pick up.

I can't wait to see this entire show uncensored. I want that raw gore factor ;____;

injurai

Banned
The manga is amazing. The anime will end just before the good things... And they really cut a lot of things...

I think I'm going to start it, I binged episodes 1-9 a few weeks ago and I haven't been hooked by an anime like this in a long time. Haven't seen ep 11 yet, will find time today.

But I think I will start the Manga, ep 12 I think will be the last this season. Hopefully they renew it. But I hear really good things about the manga and it's drastically further.

phaze

don't watch anime anymore, at which point does the anime end?

Don't read manga so can't guess but the last episode had CCG/Anteiku assault on Aogiri. Ended with appearance of "One eyed owl" and a short cut of Kaneki's white hair. One more to go.

Qvoth

Don't read manga so can't guess but the last episode had CCG/Anteiku assault on Aogiri. Ended with appearance of "One eyed owl" and a short cut of Kaneki's white hair. One more to go.

has kaneki been
tortured
?

daniels

God i gave this a chance i really did! But why does every anime protagonist have to be such a huge wuss that whines constantly??
Every freaking anime its the same lame ass loser dude with just different looks wtf.
Its just like this formless loser chameleon that wanders around from anime to anime with the goal to destroy it with its shit.

phaze

^ Supposedly (manga spoilers probably)
this is the point where Kaneki changes drastically.

has kaneki been
tortured
?

Yup. We had needle to the eye, some worm that I have no idea what Jason did with as they didn't show it. Nothing too graphic unfortunately.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i just read the last few chapters, ok what the fuck just happened? did this get fucking cancelled or some shit? goddamn this is so retarded

Im assuming there has to be a part two. Theres a lot on the table for it to just end like it has.

MayMay

Banned
Just started watching the Anime, and holy shit - the censoring is obnoxious.. The beginning of E2 was ridiculous, there were a couple of seconds where the whole screen just went black for the sake of censoring.. and those inverted colors -_-

I suppose it's gonna stay like that in the later episodes? Now I feel like putting it on hold to wait for the Blu-Ray release D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom