• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO GHOUL |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
UGH why they do that, why did they need to incorporate bad writing. This was too emotional and tragic. :(
MY TAKIZAWA!! :( :( He didnt want to die. And then Juzo even, poor kid was just wanting to live and now to having the one supporter in his life gone?! :(

Fortunately
Hide finally got his Kaneki. I was afraid Hide would die

FrigidEh

I like the manga more personally. events flow better and have way more character development sprinkled in between the big battles.

This season feels like a mess compared to the first one. It seems like things just happen for no reason most of the time. I feel the manga would be more engaging.

phaze

Last few episodes have been really good.

Should I be reading the manga instead of watching the anime?

Yup, this season got a bit better after they reverted to primarily manga material but it's still pretty poor. They also butchered/completely erased one of the best arcs in the source material.

002023h6kl6.png
002016j4j0x.png
002018ftkum.png

He hath arrived

I hate Juuzo but man that scream was harrowing.

Not that it means much in the context but this was probably the best episode of this poor season. Action was on par/better then in the first one, scenes flowed nicely and the story wasn't rushed to hell. Still plenty of bad stuff - CG and some writing choices but a marked improvement.

They have telegraphed the identity of the Owl awfully in the preceding episodes but the final reveal was nicely done.

Touka has been terribly irrelevant so far, no clue what her purpose here is. And it looks like
Hide managed to get away from Noro ?

Rnr1224

This season feels like a mess compared to the first one. It seems like things just happen for no reason most of the time. I feel the manga would be more engaging.

It does have a much better reason and buildup to the big events. watching these episodes after reading the manga just seems like they are just trying to get to the next big event as fast as possible. Some events are completely forgotten about as well.

This weeks episode was SO FUCKING GOOD AHHHHH

I was legit on the edge of my seat. The clip after the credits. I fucking screamed. I cannot wait for next weeks episode. Easily becoming one of my favorite animes ever.

Only started watching this and I'm on episode 4. Is it just me or is the series dropping names here and there and expect you to know them? I think I'm supposed to know 5 different names being dropped left and right or something but I'm so confused lol.

injurai

Banned
Only started watching this and I'm on episode 4. Is it just me or is the series dropping names here and there and expect you to know them? I think I'm supposed to know 5 different names being dropped left and right or something but I'm so confused lol.

When I started season 2 I realized I only remembered Touka's name. I had forgotten even the protags name lol.

Frog-fu

Banned
Last few episodes have been really good.

Should I be reading the manga instead of watching the anime?

Absolutely. The manga is a different league of its own compared to the anime. It won't have anywhere near the same impact now because you've been spoiled by a rather mediocre adaptation, but you should still be able to appreciate the narrative superiority of the manga. The Anteiku Raid in particular had a tremendous build up to it and really paid off quite nicely.

Defect

I haven't really liked this season all that much but I hope it ends well.

It's cool how both this and Parasyte finish this week.

Finally caught up, season 2 is awesome, but Kaneki is a weird protagonist, goes from weak to super strong at the end of season 1, to fucking weakling again...IMO he's horrible and brings the quality of the show down, he was a better character in season 1... hopefully he fucking dies and we switch to a human protagonist...

Still trying to get into this. Kaneki is one annoying protagonist. The whole "nice guy" thing is nauseating. Does he grow any balls later on?

phaze

Still trying to get into this. Kaneki is one annoying protagonist. The whole "nice guy" thing is nauseating. Does he grow any balls later on?

I assume you're watching first season ? Yes he does.

Unfortunately, in the anime he's more annoying after that happens. -_-

You guys find Kaneki annoying? Really?

I honestly adore his character. There is so much depth and sadness behind all of what he is doing. I can't imagine finding him to be annoying. He's damaged as hell but his purpose behind it all is bittersweet and tragic. It's captivating and intriguing to try and understand why he did this to himself and went so far.

RangerBAD

That was a great episode. The last few episodes have been really good.
I guess we're getting a third season though.
About anime Kaneki... well, they weren't able to give him the depth he has in the manga because they removed a ton of events he was involved in.

Caj814

If anything Root A was more about the side characters than Kaneki. I suggest everyone who has further interest in the franchise to seriously sit down and read the original Manga run from beginning to end. You'll run into stuff that was covered in the anime while also getting much more details fleshed out and some surprises here and there.

MayMay

Banned
Disappointing ending. They left so many open questions, it's not even funny.

I did not read the Manga yet because I waited for this season to end, but I'll immediately start reading now. Those open questions bother me because I know some of that stuff has been answered in the Manga :L

Mista

Banned
About to watch the final episode as im not expecting something great like first season's final episode

Awful ending, awful writing. What a wonderful way to destroy a good anime. Cant believe I event gave this franchise a second chance.

How Hide need to die even. At least he held out long, but still. No good ky character was treated well this anime,

Caj814

Disappointing ending. They left so many open questions, it's not even funny.

I did not read the Manga yet because I waited for this season to end, but I'll immediately start reading now. Those open questions bother me because I know some of that stuff has been answered in the Manga :L

What a disappointing ending. I even regret wasting my time on this anime!

that was the ending? what

Awful ending, awful writing. What a wonderful way to destroy a good anime. Cant believe I event gave this franchise a second chance.

How Hide need to die even. At least he held out long, but still. No good ky character was treated well this anime,

Now we can see why the manga author had this as the original manga ending rejected.

i read the manga and anime and i do enjoy the anime but my god what a fucking trash ending. good god that was boring. its such a shame since the source material is soooo damn good, i haven't enjoyed a manga this much since FMA.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone who starts reading the manga now, keep in mind the first one ends with a lot of questions in the air on chapter 143, but there's a sequel called Tokyo Ghoul:re that's still being released.

Was reading the wiki since the ending left so many questions, I guess it did my favorite character Takizawa well. Hope we get a sequel.
raised my view of the franchise seeing his fate

Frog-fu

Banned
It's actually impressive how barebones the anime adaptation has been compared to the manga. They left out so much cool shit.

Rnr1224

It's actually impressive how barebones the anime adaptation has been compared to the manga. They left out so much cool shit.

Kinda sad too. I watched the first season and then read all of the manga. I was expecting Season 2 to be so cool and if they couldnt fit it all in then do a 3rd season. but watching the second season just left me in disappointment. Doubt they will do a Tokyo Ghoul: Re adaptation, at least not soon.

Frog-fu

Banned
Kinda sad too. I watched the first season and then read all of the manga. I was expecting Season 2 to be so cool and if they couldnt fit it all in then do a 3rd season. but watching the second season just left me in disappointment. Doubt they will do a Tokyo Ghoul: Re adaptation, at least not soon.

I'm in the same boat. Watched the first season, thought it was really average, read the manga and that thought that was great, and by the time season 2 started I honestly didn't expect much.

I thought this season was supposed to be new material and not follow the manga. What happened to that?

The only difference is that they left out about 90% of the plot of the manga, which is a shame. They could have done it like the original FMA anime and gone into a completely different direction, but they didn't do much of that at all. Yeah, Kaneki joined Aogiri Tree
as opposed to forming his own crew like in the manga,
but they hardly did anything with that.

phaze

I thought this season was supposed to be new material and not follow the manga. What happened to that?

I think they marketed it as an original draft of the manga so maybe it just had a lot of similarities to the later version of the story ? Who knows. As it is, it's the weirdest ever mashup of anime only stuff with the manga material. Plenty of the latter does not make much sense given the changes introduced to the story.

Dennis

Banned
This was the season finale?

Such a weak ending after some great episodes.

Literally the whole episode was one girl running and one guy slowly walking. For 20 min.

While I wasn't a gigantic fan of how they closed out the anime with the last episode as a whole I did really dig the last shot. The acoustic version of unravel the depressing shots of everyone messed up from the battle. As opposed to the sewer scene I think the anime did a good job of driving home the sheer destruction the Anteiku raid caused.

I'd love to get my hands on the soundtrack for Tokyo Ghoul in good quality. Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to find it or purchase it for download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom