• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO GHOUL |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

OK, will give it another try. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

To give you an idea of how unnecessary most of the censorship is - see ep 1-3 tv/ blue ray comparison. http://imgur.com/a/tvt2r The climax scenes of Gourmet or Mado arc were both marred by rays of white&black. Even the final scene of the season makes much more sense in the uncensored version.

Weak setup episode but it makes me think that though the route is slightly different, the destination is still the same.

Also 2, too pretty to not post gifs. Stolen from reddit.
tumblr_neap92tbmt1tm0b3c4d.gif

Tokyo Ghoul Root A Episode 2

The title to Episode 3 is "Hanged Man." :0

VIOQlvu.jpg

Ishidaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Oh the suffering oh the suffering shall being.😬
Such brilliant foreshadowing I must say.

rPTSuwe.jpg

My boy Arima going hard.
A sneak peek of Arima was shown, gosh I can't wait to see more of this bastard. Akira is finally introduced whom is the daughter of Mado and has a wonderful personality. Yeah Amon I'm really sorry you got rejected but there's always a next time. Anyways things are about to go down with the CCG and the upcoming episodes are gonna be interesting.

Q8O544K.jpg

Also Suzuya who's voiced by Rie Kugimiya has finally appeared. I don't know why but I just can't get enough of him, he's just too awesome.
Gotta love this kid's creepy factor. I hope he gets some screen time.

60Ox0FO.jpg

This for some reason reminds me of Batman, I mean Kaneki is running on top of buildings.
I really hope we get to see some Aogiri missions, they sound really cool.

Last but not least we get this amazing tease...
44pJSvR.jpg

Yooooooooo 😍😍😍
Sweet Jesus those lips, my god this is too much for my heart to handle. Eto your just too much.

Anyways the OST, OP, and Ending were amazing.

Frog-fu

Banned
I read the Tokyo Ghoul manga from start to finish in the past two days. Hot damn, it's fucking amazing, and now I'm caught up with the sequel, I can't believe how much has been cut out in the anime adaptation.

Here is hoping we'll get the Tokyo Ghoul equivalent of FMA:B, an anime adaptation that is faithful to the manga it is based upon and what the fans really want.

daveo42

Banned
Root A E2

Not an overly bad episode, but not really a good one either. The majority of the first half helps to set up some of the themes and direction for the rest of this season while the 2nd half was 100% waste. A lot of this really surprises me because of how fast they want to cut through sections of the manga, but still have portions in the anime dedicated to almost nothing at all. I have a bad feeling we are going to see some pacing whiplash during the entirety of this season.

At least the art is still pretty good and might help to distract from what may end up being another letdown in the plot and pacing department. I guess we will have to wait and see.

I wish the Tokyo Ghoul adaptation was as good as Parasyte's.

They've really cocked this up.

100% agree here. It's okay if they take the show in a new direction from the manga, but so far what they are doing feels really sloppy in the story telling department.

EmiPrime

Root A E2

Not an overly bad episode, but not really a good one either. The majority of the first half helps to set up some of the themes and direction for the rest of this season while the 2nd half was 100% waste. A lot of this really surprises me because of how fast they want to cut through sections of the manga, but still have portions in the anime dedicated to almost nothing at all. I have a bad feeling we are going to see some pacing whiplash during the entirety of this season.

At least the art is still pretty good and might help to distract from what may end up being another letdown in the plot and pacing department. I guess we will have to wait and see.

100% agree here. It's okay if they take the show in a new direction from the manga, but so far what they are doing feels really sloppy in the story telling department.

Yeah what they've chosen to cut and what they've left in over 12 episodes is completely baffling as is this decision to re-write the story. They cut what happened between Kaneki's capture and his torture yet they've left in stuff like Amon asking Mado to dinner. We've also been robbed of Kaneki's beatdown of Ayato. :(

Yeah what they've chosen to cut and what they've left in over 12 episodes is completely baffling as is this decision to re-write the story. They cut what happened between Kaneki's capture and his torture yet they've left in stuff like Amon asking Mado to dinner. We've also been robbed of Kaneki's beatdown of Ayato. :(

We might get the bones later down the road as it wouldn't have made sense if they did it in the first episode because Kaneki joins Aogiri.

PranooY

I want to clarify some things.
I heard that season 2 is gonna be different from the manga and is written by the same writer. So should i read the manga now and then continue watching season 2. Is that advisable?

phaze

I want to clarify some things.
I heard that season 2 is gonna be different from the manga and is written by the same writer. So should i read the manga now and then continue watching season 2. Is that advisable?

It's hard to say at the moment. Judging by the second episode, it seems Root A may stil very well end similarly to the manga. And some twists and reveals will clearly stay true to the original so I would say its a case of deciding where do you want to experience them first.

PranooY

It's hard to say at the moment. Judging by the second episode, it seems Root A may stil very well end similarly to the manga. And some twists and reveals will clearly stay true to the original so I would say its a case of deciding where do you want to experience them first.
Finished reading the Manga. I feel so disappointed, considering the potential of the setting. The 2nd half was a mess and the ending sucked with all the loose ends. Now i regret wasting a lot of time.

MayMay

Banned
Loved the third episode.. Until now I enjoy this season alot more than the first one. Maybe it's the vastly improved pacing.

injurai

Banned
Loved the third episode.. Until now I enjoy this season alot more than the first one. Maybe it's the vastly improved pacing.

The way the first season was handled I forgot what was going on. So the second season has been even more hot air. But somehow I'm still loving it. I may just crack and read the manga.

Every episode is so good this season.

Kaneki and Ayato still looking incredibly cool whenever they pose atop buildings or stand side by side.

Hide in the info broker scene was just as fun as he was reminiscing about his lost Kaneki, I teared up a bit later.

Curious about what the goals of Kaneki and co are and how others are tracking him.

RangerBAD

It's a lot of the same events in the manga, minus some, just shifted to different times and with different people.
I'm not sure if I like that. I thought they were going total original after I saw episode one.

Frog-fu

Banned
I guess it makes sense why Ayato has a different second mask than in the manga seeing as they've went into a different direction and his second mask has considerable importance in the manga, but still, why does its replacement design have to be as lame as this? Look at this shit.
Code:
[IMG]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/tokyoghoul/images/4/44/Ayato_mask_root_a.png/revision/latest?cb=20150115184251[/IMG]

They should have kept his first one, which was dope af.
Code:
[IMG]http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/tokyoghoul/images/b/bd/Ayato_defending_against_bullets2.png/revision/latest?cb=20140911191117[/IMG]

Tokyo Ghoul Root A Episode 3

Man is this season soooo good, it's way better than the first season. The pacing is great and isn't rushed like last season. The characters are actually getting some development which again was lacking in season 1. Also no censoring, like holy shit. The OST is God Tier like the best of winter season.

The begining action scene was quite nice, seeing Kaneki and Ayato hijack the CCG vehicles to free a prisoner. Also it had a brief scene of two mysterious Ghouls that take an interest in Kaneki. I hope we get to see more of them.

I'm so happy that Naki got introduced, I really loved his character in the manga. He's just that dumb type of character you can't hate. Also the ending pictures of Naki and Yamori drawn by Ishida were amazing. And as always Funimation screwed up by not translating the text because it provide a bit more depth to Naki's and Yamori's relationship. It really made me feel bad for Naki and it also showed that even Yamori had a soft side. Here's the full translation http://i.imgur.com/RWmF1gE.jpg.

Blushing Touka is best Touka. I really love how they are developing Touka's character and deepening the relationship she had with Kaneki. I know that scene is coming. It was also nice of them for adding the chin habit info about Kaneki and how he's a good actor. That foreshadowing.

Tatsuki Sen is finally introduced and she looks so amazing, Maaya Sakamoto her VA fits so well, love that voice of hers. Anyways I have to say Hinami looks so cute in this episode.

Hide for best bro of 2015 because he's like the friend you wished you had. This dude is brilliant in his investigation skills and the way he looks out for Kaneki is just amazing. I'm really glad they are developing his character.

FORTISSIMO! Man am I glad this lovely bastard is back, he's so hilarious. Miyano his VA is really talented. The way he voices Tskuiyama is just amazing, TRES BIEN.

Mista

Banned
Why do I feel that this is season is going to be like the first?

Please dont save everything for the last episode!

Tokyo Ghoul Root A has the best OST of the winter season, it's sooo good.
This, the ost is so damn good.

While I do wish both this season and the first season had a more faithful adaptation to the amazing Manga, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think the second season didn't interest me, and it's been good so far so I'll keep watching. Looking forward to the next episode!

We have a Tokyo Ghoul thread!?
A friend of mine introduced me after the Holidays and we marathoned season one before the second debuted. I've been reading the manga lately, which is odd for me as the last manga I read was about ten years ago.

phaze

They're being painfully obvious about that one thing.

Finished reading the Manga. I feel so disappointed, considering the potential of the setting. The 2nd half was a mess and the ending sucked with all the loose ends. Now i regret wasting a lot of time.

I disliked the last arc and where things went at the end of it but in general, I welcomed the second half's much more pro active Kaneki. The manga however suffers from a very severe case of
"people don't die when they're killed."(Among other things.)
Guys, this artist is amazing.
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=48336688

phaze

Season Two feels like a HUGE improvement from Season One. I'm enjoying this season.

Funny I feel the exact opposite.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 04

Plain awful.

Like, I'm sure my perspective changed a bit since I've read the manga now but I've no intention of bitching on how they changed some events. It's just that the execution was piss poor and worse than that of Naruto's outsourced episodes. All the kagunes look awful now and they seemingly ruined
Kanekipede
with the same awful CG work they used on the Arata armor.

Had to laugh when Kaneki started his breakdown rant completely out of nowhere.

Terrible.

Funny I feel the exact opposite.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 04

Plain awful.

Like, I'm sure my perspective changed a bit since I've read the manga now but I've no intention of bitching on how they changed some events. It's just that the execution was piss poor and worse than that of Naruto's outsourced episodes. All the kagunes look awful now and they seemingly ruined
Kanekipede

Terrible.

The episode was pretty much outsourced to Koreans, it even said so in the ending credits. Don't know why they did that, though it could have something to do with production problems.

Frog-fu

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul Root A 04

Plain awful.

Kanekipede

Terrible.

This. I'm not gonna bitch about the fact they went into a different direction than the manga, but this was just poorly structured and animated. Really mediocre stuff.

Nibel

Yeah, episode 4 wasn't that good, but I kinda like the show. Not sure why, but I'm hooked.

Now.. I'm not sure if I should just switch to the manga.

phaze

The episode was pretty much outsourced to Koreans, it even said so in the ending credits. Don't know why they did that, though it could have something to do with production problems.

Ehh this not a case of single episode being bad, Naki's rescue in the previous one looked awful too and even the first episode didn't look very good, compare it to the TG's pilot and you'll see a stark difference in quality. (Though admittedly the first episode of Root A was much more action heavy.) The budget (not exactly a great one to begin with) went AWOL and it's not coming back.

Ehh this not a case of single episode being bad, Naki's rescue in the previous one looked awful too and even the first episode didn't look very good, compare it to the TG's pilot and you'll see a stark difference in quality. (Though admittedly the first episode of Root A was much more action heavy.) The budget (not exactly a great one to begin with) went AWOL and it's not coming back.

That's why I'm waiting for an episode directed by Morita. All the episodes he's done (1 and 12) were glorious. Though my guess is he's probably gonna do the last episode. Also the last arc is action heavy which I hope they are saving the budget for because it contained lots of battles.

Though it doesn't matter to me since I'm satisfied reading Re and at this point I'm tired of complaining.

daveo42

Banned
Root A E4

I understand the reason for the attack, but the reasoning behind the actions of Aogiri make little sense when compared to the reasons for occupying the 11th Ward previously. Did we even get a good reason in the show for why they decided to occupy the 11th ward other than it was adjacent to the ward with the ghoul prison? It made a ton more sense that the
11th ward was a distraction to easily release any prisoners they wanted while CCG was preoccupied.

I will also say this was one of the most poorly animated episodes of the show I've seen and rivals the shit Toei slings around in One Piece. All of the animations looked way off and characters themselves looked so out of place.

Yeah, episode 4 wasn't that good, but I kinda like the show. Not sure why, but I'm hooked.

Now.. I'm not sure if I should just switch to the manga.

Switch to the manga. It is just plain better than the show.

Root A E4

I understand the reason for the attack, but the reasoning behind the actions of Aogiri make little sense when compared to the reasons for occupying the 11th Ward previously. Did we even get a good reason in the show for why they decided to occupy the 11th ward other than it was adjacent to the ward with the ghoul prison? It made a ton more sense that the
11th ward was a distraction to easily release any prisoners they wanted while CCG was preoccupied.

I will also say this was one of the most poorly animated episodes of the show I've seen and rivals the shit Toei slings around in One Piece. All of the animations looked way off and characters themselves looked so out of place.

Switch to the manga. It is just plain better than the show.

The funny thing is, it was animated by Koreans and the director is Yoriyasu Kogawa. He did some Beezlebub and Naruto episodes and they were all shitty. This is also his first directed episode in the series, so hopefully he doesn't do another episode.

Jaeger

Everything that was wrong with the last episode, this one fixed. In fucking spades. Holy shit.

Superb animation. Directing was incredible. Hit all the proper notes. Some crazy gore (although censored in parts), and so much more.

Wow. It's like they knew 4 would be bad, and 5 would blow my fucking socks off. They pulled an early in the season Gurren Lagann on me.

Todays episode was alright, was feeling a bit shaky in the middle there as I thought we'd have some casualties of the unfortunate variety. Hopefully folks survive for another day.

Oh and also the censorship was the first time I felt it was really distraction, sure its still visible but only blurring part of the image became odd, why not just resort to some Sims style censoring.

I both adore Suzuya and want rip him to shreds.

I'm stoked to see where this is all headed.

oh and for anyone who doesn't know already. You can pick up Tokyo Ghoul Zakki by Sui Ishida - the manga illustrative art book on Ebay for around $15-20 !

This is a snipet of what it looks like ;)

NEOBK-1722283.jpg

Illustration_5.jpg

Illustration_7.jpg

Illustration_10.jpg

I want it so badly but I'm broke as shit right meow ;_____;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom