• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO GHOUL |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
if this 2nd season includes the time period between the last chapter and the sequel i might watch this

Jaeger

I'm about to read the manga. Should I be excited?

WrgFZjk.jpg

Mendrox

This show on par with say Attack On Titans? I need a fix so bad.

Anime sucked imo..well if you read the manga, but otherwise it is a ultra compact series and the sequel starts next week. But it is not on par with Attack on Titan. Watch other good series where budget and time constraints arent problems ;-) Go watch Parasyte or Shingeki no Bahamut e.g.

This show on par with say Attack On Titans? I need a fix so bad.

I would say the manga is. The first half of the anime is great imo but they start to really rush things later on which makes it turn to shit. im happy i read the anime after watching the show cause I was really just about to drop the series after the anime ending.

MayMay

Banned
First ep of S2 is out now (on Funimation) - and.. damn. I love it. Only thing I dislike is the opening.. lol.

It picked off right where the last ep of S1 ended, which is very nice. Oh this is hopefully gonna be a great season.

Jaeger

So good. I am so excited that one of my faves from last season is back. So, Kaneki
joined the enemy. I wonder what the motivations are. The Manager is SO boss. Those new armors the police have is BOSS, and helps them out in taking on these mega powerful Ghoul (but at a high cost/risk it seems).

That one Ghoul with the big ass smirk.... he seems to be pretty much
immortal.

5hgOPbT.gif

Can't wait to see that
Centipede Kakuja.

Moaradin

First ep of the new season is pretty decent. Made me interested again after a pretty lame first season. But holy shit, I did not them to pick up right where S1 left off. No recap or anything lol. I hardly remember any of the characters at this point. This episode should have been the last episode of the first season lol.

I enjoyed the first episode, it was like District 9. Really interesting to see the protagonist helplessly turn into a ghoul and the world beginning to change around him.

However, the rest of the series was dissapointing though as it turned into a cheesey shonen powerlevel fantasy where almost every outcome of any battle is predictable. The first person to show their power first loses because the opponent will turn the tide by revealing an even more awesome power and then it goes back and forth. Still excited for S2 just to see how the story turns out.

arumisan

First ep of S2 is out now (on Funimation) - and.. damn. I love it. Only thing I dislike is the opening.. lol.

It picked off right where the last ep of S1 ended, which is very nice. Oh this is hopefully gonna be a great season.

The first time I heard the new opening, I agree. The first season captured the whole tone of the show a lot better I feel.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A Episode 1

Yeah it definitely going anime original, but that's not bad thing. I mean I rather have this than 77 chapters crammed into 12 episodes.

The Opening song I actually liked because it fully described Kaneki's state of mind. It's unique and the art gives of a sense of sadness, tragedy, and bizarreness. The flowers add a bit symbolism towards Kaneki's character, which I feel some people miss. I also feel that the OP will visually change as more episodes air. Anyways the haters are wrong about this OP.

The Ending is fuckin great with the bits of art shown. I mean Ishida Sui's art is really good especially Touka's, Rize's, and Uta's. It just adds a bit of flavor to the ending. The song itself is great and beautiful.

Now onto the episode, it was pretty good. Seeing that scene while Kaneki was holding Touka was great. Seriously though Touka suffers too much like
she comes to save him from Aogiri the same organization that tortured him. To only later get a reply from him that he's gonna join Aogiri. Like fuck too much suffering. I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't any 103 bones anatomy lesson, but oh well at least we get Kaneki joining Aogiri.
Then it ends with Kaneki heading out in the Sunset. Anyways I'm hyped for the next episode.

Sweet Jesus the OST was fuckin amazing, towards the end that song was soooo good. I need it right now! Also I forgot no censorship at all.

arumisan

Who knows, the OP may grow on me...

I definitely agree with the EP though - that was one thing I always looked forward to watching as I really enjoy Ishida's art.

RangerBAD

So they're going to totally ignore the manga. At least they're not going to have to stick to a set plot anymore. I'm sure elements of the manga will still be there.

I hope the censoring isn't as brutal this season.

That episode definitely delivered.
Kaneki joining the enemy is so damn confusing but I'm stoked to get to know all of these new characters and where this is all going. Oh & poor Touka :(

daveo42

Banned
Not a bad start, though it feels way too disjointed and this episode should have been the closer to season 1 instead of the opener of season 2.

So they're going to totally ignore the manga. At least they're not going to have to stick to a set plot anymore. I'm sure elements of the manga will still be there.

That's my guess. Manga spoilers/S2 theory (seriously don't read unless you've read the manga or don't care about being spoiled):
My guess is the reason why Kaneki joins up with Aogiri is to figure out what their goal has been, which will most likely loop back around to Rise and the doctor to transplanted her organs into him. The whole prison break bit will probably be dropped for a more direct approach in locating the doctor, revealing Rise being alive, and finding out there are more "One Eyes" out there in the wild. More direct in getting to where we want to go, but it also makes for one hell of an odd character choice. The anime end will probably be close to the same as the manga end as well.

phaze

I don't get the reason for joining Anteiku.

PS: Should I read the manga of this?

I don't think it's anything special but things tend to make more sense there,even more so now after this episode. I read just a few chapters ahead of where we currently are though.

After rewatching this, I thought it was pretty bad. Neither of the fights have been given proper weight or animation and the show just rushed them to conclusion. Kaneki has apparently evolved into full blown magician and just pulls his mask and a new attire out of thin air. Him joining Aogiri without single line of dialogue between them is just weird, regardless of his or their motives. The lackluster OP and the visuals makes me think Pierrot is giving this show even less money than it gave its predecessor.

Someone explain to me how did Amon manage to recognise Kaneki.

Defuser

The first episode is too disjointed and doesn't make sense with Kaneki pulling out his mask out of thin air or Amon recognising Kaneki. Root A is already off to a bad start with the Kaneki vs Ayato fight being butchered badly and the stuff mentioned above. It's baffling how they can't adapt the whole Tokyo Ghoul since there is a Tokyo Ghoul:RE sequel but chose to adapt alternate draft by Ishida Sui. What is the production committee thinking....

phaze

I find it funny that in the first season, almost none of the good action cuts from PV's made it into the show. They even redid the Amon vs Kaneki in inferior quality as far as I can tell.

And Ken sounds completely like Inaho now.

Mista

Banned
Hello Ghouls

I finished the first season in a day and half! Just got to watch this amazing anime

Got to admit, its 2nd fastest anime that I like so fast! Waiting for the 2nd season to finish for the Blu-Ray version!

The first episode is too disjointed and doesn't make sense with Kaneki pulling out his mask out of thin air or Amon recognising Kaneki. Root A is already off to a bad start with the Kaneki vs Ayato fight being butchered badly and the stuff mentioned above. It's baffling how they can't adapt the whole Tokyo Ghoul since there is a Tokyo Ghoul:RE sequel but chose to adapt alternate draft by Ishida Sui. What is the production committee thinking....

Really? I thought KanAyato was the best part, curious how it was in the manga if it was considered bad in this anime version.

Mista

Banned
The whole censoring thing is rubbish really

Shingeki no Kyojin had the same amount of blood and it wasnt censored!

The Investigator Seido is amazing, hes the best one really. Im glad they finally have no lamelords for investigators anymore. None of them were anyway good.

I wish we had a full season of the adventures of Ayato and Kaneki, best duo already. This season is pretty amazing.

Kinyou

Did the censorship overall get any better? (and by better I mean less)

That kind of annoyed when I saw the first few episodes.

injurai

Banned
No, I think I stopped around episode 4. (though I did read the manga, so I know the overall story)

Well I haven't read the manga, so maybe it's much more graphic. But that last episode is pretty gory. Though I guess some stuff still happens out of frame. Definitely give it a go.

phaze

Did the censorship overall get any better? (and by better I mean less)

That kind of annoyed when I saw the first few episodes.

There's an uncensored version available. That is, if you live in Japan and speak the language. :p

And the new season so far has no censorship.

Kinyou

Well I haven't read the manga, so maybe it's much more graphic. But that last episode is pretty gory. Though I guess some stuff still happens out of frame. Definitely give it a go.
OK, will give it another try. Maybe I just have to get used to it.

There's an uncensored version available. That is, if you live in Japan and speak the language. :p
Japan, always getting the good stuff :(

And the new season so far has no censorship.
Ah, that sounds good.

Mista

Banned
EP2 was okay I guess. It started with flashbacks and stuff then a meeting where I didnt think it was organized as an episode.

This whole episode was obviously about Mado's daughter

This new season is so weird, it feels like I missed a couple episodes.

True, especially with this new episode.

Epcott

I hope this leads into Tokyo Ghoul: Re.

Where can you watch this at?
Hulu and I think Crunchyroll.

EDIT: For a moment I thought they mixed parts of the final confrontation of the TG manga with the Kaneki escape arc, until they showed Juuzou dragging Yamori by the legs (which one could hardly tell at first glance). They've really taken some liberties with the story here lol. Yikes. I certainly don't remember Kaneki
joining Agori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom