• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does a 3D Pokemon adventure have a chance of gracing my Wii U?

Jinko

This thread is basically wahh why wont Nintendo do my genius idea that i though of they must be stupid and unable to come up with this brilliant idea them selves.

Seriously not every idea you have is good or smart when it comes to running a business and making money seriously if you wanna make this argument sit down and make a full business plan including research in to cost,long term viability etc . because if you did most would realized how pointless the idea is as a money making venture.

TBH its hard to imagine how lucrative an open world pokemon RPG on home console would or wouldn't be, because its never been done.

I am sure if Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy can bring in good sales numbers a pokemon game could too.

Besides this thread is more like "wouldn't it be cool if" not "why won't you do my idea Nintendo".

JoeM86

TBH its hard to imagine how lucrative an open world pokemon RPG on home console would or wouldn't be, because its never been done.

I am sure if Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy can bring in good sales numbers a pokemon game could too.

Besides this thread is more like "wouldn't it be cool if" not "why won't you do my idea Nintendo".

And how is Dragon Quest X doing?

Jinko

I suppose the best hope is the next Nintendo handheld will be powerful enough to produce this kind of game (and have a TV out :p)

Zoon

I believe a good console pokemon game and pokemonxMH are nintendo's secret weapons and will be unleashed when everything else fails.

I don't see why they shouldn't make a mainline Pokemon game for console.

With Wonder Trade and other online features being the main way to trade even on handheld, translating that to HD wouldn't be a big ask.

Pokemon Bank would let you transfer your Pokemon with ease between the two systems.

There'd be no need to give it a Dragon Quest VIII style camera angle and look, just make a somewhat prettier top-down game with the occasional scenic view. Integrate Miiverse into it, have other players affect your world in small ways (like secret base type stuff).

Yes, it won't sell as many as a 3DS entry, but it'll sell a hell of a lot more than another Pokemon puzzle game or random dungeon crawler surely. Bundle it with the console, maybe with a limited edition console like the old ugly Pikachu N64 from the early 2000s/late 90s, and a Gamepad that looks like a fancy Pokedex/Gear.

It'll never happen, but I'm 100% sure it would be great if they actually put their minds to it.

OmegaDL50

1 Million +, isn't released out side Japan and has a subscription model so not really comparable :p

A better point of reference would be Dragon Quest VIII or Ni no Kuni with integrated online for trading, battling, etc.

Using an online-only MMO is a rather ridiculous strawman to propose the idea that a console Pokemon title wouldn't work.

Fey

Banned
mmm yaa that rich, vibrant, and absolutely LUSCIOUS looking kanto in HD oh ya baby thats what ~I~ want

Mr-Joker

Banned
GameFreak owes that to us. The people who grew up with the first generations and made GF what they are now.

Still targeting children and forgetting the older fans who gave them success is like a betrayal = (

Pfffwahahaa, firstly Game Freak was pandering to gen 1 people with Pokémon X and Y. Secondly they don't owe you anything.

A lot of typical Nintendo mindset here. Like if playing safe without taking any risks were the only way to go.

Everyone would shit themselves if a good 3D Pokemon adventure came to consoles.
Pokemon is not a success because you can bring your handheld anywhere, it's because the combat is fun, and catch'em all a challenge, and the overall gameplay is addictive.

The portability was always a plus, but not the core.
'Pokemon is for handhelds' is just a bad argument.

You can have all of this in console, but better in every aspect. You could still interchange pokemon with friends and battle online, have coop adventures, everything in a 100x immersive maps.

There's absolutely no logical reason to not want a console Pokemon if you are a Pokemon fan.

The main series Pokémon was born on the handheld and was created with the handheld in mind, it will never be released on the home console.

Beside Main series Pokémon on the home console offers nothing of any value other than HD graphic, which isn't really needed and playing it on the big screen.

beautifly1.jpg

Oh man I can't wait for the Hoenn remake, it's going to be sweeeeeeeet.

L Thammy

Everyone and their mother knows that a Pokemon MMO / RPG for console would sell like 30 million copies and save the Wii U. Everyone knows that! You know, just like Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy Online did. Just like they did...

Bottom line, X doesn't equal Y. Pokemon excels at being a a portable title for children on the go.

You know, not to support the idea of a Pokemon online game, but wasn't Final Fantasy XI the most profitable game ever for Square Enix? It shouldn't be surprising if Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy XIV are similar profit sources regardless of having a low userbase.

I don't think the issue with a Pokemon MMORPG is that it wouldn't make a lot of money, but that it's rather superfluous. Let's say that the monsters in the Pokemon MMORPG are the same as in the regular games, with an expansion every generation. Isn't there a risk that the people playing the MMORPG will stop buying the normal games, then? If the MMORPG has its own set of monsters (ala Monster Hunter Fronter), then they won't be exposed to the fanbase at large, and won't be as marketable as the "real" Pokemon.

zhorkat

if any thing this kills the mmo argument going from 12 million plus sales to around 1 for most likely 10 times the cost isn't smart.

Well if you really want to kill that you would have to do better than just comparing sales numbers for a handheld RPG that was released worldwide to an MMORPG that was released only in Japan and has a subscription fee.

JoeM86

Well if you really want to kill that you would have to do better than just comparing sales numbers for a handheld RPG that was released worldwide to an MMORPG that was released only in Japan and has a subscription fee.

Then let's just use Japan only figures. Over 4 million sold in less than a year. It certainly wouldn't do well with a subscription fee, too, seeing as the bulk of purchasers are young.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also people tend to forget the bigger market audience (that is, Japan).

Reminds me of Smash threads hilariously enough.

OmegaDL50

Using an MMO as a reference for a console Pokemon RPG is a disingenuous point.

Even still MMO's don't get their money for initial copies sold but rather subscription fees for people that continue to play for months at a time.

Sure we can use the point that DQX only sold a million copies, but if you disregard say 40% of those sales are long term subscribers for a 1+ year or so then it paints a very different picture.

Besides a console Pokemon RPG title doesn't need to be an MMO anyways, if it's anything like Ni no Kuni, Dragon Quest VIII, or Xenoblade for that matter with just integrated online for the Pokemon Center stuff (Trading, Battling, Online Events, etc) then it should work.

Well you should. Especially Explorers of the Sky. Feels were had.

Anyway, Pokemon mechanics are made so that stuff you see in anime is rather hard to implement. That's why The Origins suck - because it's video game in anime form and outside of a few "shock" moments you realize how terrible the combat is in presentation. Might as well make a different game to begin with.

Aren't most spinoffs not good sellers save for a few titles?

I actually disagree. Sure there won't be a 1:1 match, but I think you could achieve the feel for sure. Wild Pokemon encounters would be real time with some form of ATB whether it's a literal gauge you can see or an invisible timer. Trainer encounters would still be a turn based combat system. With just that the game would already feel much more like the anime. But you could take it even further.

There could be battle hazards and obstacles to make the trainer account for more variables. If you are in a cave and use Earthquake it could make stalagmites fall and possible hit the enemy Pokemon or even your Pokemon. Fire attacks in a grassy field could leave areas on fire that you would need to avoid during battle. Things like that that add an extra layer or two of strategy on top.

I think making a Pokemon game that had the same feel as the anime is actually quite feasible. It would be a huge undertaking so I don't think it will happen, but it's possible.

Jinko

There could be battle hazards and obstacles to make the trainer account for more variables. If you are in a cave and use Earthquake it could make stalagmites fall and possible hit the enemy Pokemon or even your Pokemon. Fire attacks in a grassy field could leave areas on fire that you would need to avoid during battle. Things like that that add an extra layer or two of strategy on top.

Love this idea, I would also like to see something similar to what Bravely Default does with its weekly boss challenges as well.

Sure all this could be done on a hand held but a bigger painting requires a bigger canvas.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yet smash is coming to both platforms ...

I was talking about character preferences in Smash, silly :p

Like how a bunch of people cite "x character is popular!" but they forget Japan. Same with Pokemon ideas.

I actually disagree. Sure there won't be a 1:1 match, but I think you could achieve the feel for sure. Wild Pokemon encounters would be real time with some form of ATB whether it's a literal gauge you can see or an invisible timer. Trainer encounters would still be a turn based combat system. With just that the game would already feel much more like the anime. But you could take it even further.

I think making a Pokemon game that had the same feel as the anime is actually quite feasible. It would be a huge undertaking so I don't think it will happen, but it's possible.

But then you're throwing away the intrinsic stuff that made Pokemon battling great - the numbers game. Hell, mystery dungeon worked well because it is turn based, but at the same time took liberties (it's why moves not treated seriously in the main games are suddenly game-breaking in MD).

zhorkat

Then let's just use Japan only figures. Over 4 million sold in less than a year. It certainly wouldn't do well with a subscription fee, too, seeing as the bulk of purchasers are young.

That's better. However, you still have to do better than comparing Japanese sales numbers for a handheld RPG to an MMO with a subscription fee.

Grief.exe

No

Nintendo do not have the staff necessary in order to create a large scale Pokémon game. If they were to obtain the necessary manpower, the Wii U's time will have passed.

Where are you getting this? Nintendo has a massive, in-house, development staff.

DedValve

Banned
I just want HD stadium with a deep single player experience, gym leaders from all the series, a truly worthy Elite 4. A hardcore champion, a battle tower, several different locations, wonderful animations for each pokemon.

Hell maybe even throw in a Coliseum story mode to it because that game was bad-fucking-ass.

And a just as deep multiplayer with tournaments so I can fight my fellow gaffers
and get owned

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Where are you getting this? Nintendo has a massive, in-house, development staff.
Not that it matters since many/most poké-spinoffs are farmed out to third parties (Genius Sonority, Chunsoft, and so on). Plus with the amount of cash Game Freak surely must make they could afford to expand... but don't cause they feel they only need ta deal with the main handheld game series.

But then you're throwing away the intrinsic stuff that made Pokemon battling great - the numbers game. Hell, mystery dungeon worked well because it is turn based, but at the same time took liberties (it's why moves not treated seriously in the main games are suddenly game-breaking in MD).

That, in a way, is the point. The handheld Pokemon games won't stop being made, and nor should they. A home console version should be either a standalone game or it's own spinoff series (Shin Megami Tensei series vs. Persona series). Plus, the numbers game would still be very much intact, there would just be other factors as well. If I were developing the game, I'd have an option to turn all battles into Turn Based or Real Time as well as an option to turn off all environmental obstacles. That way people could play what amounts to just a home console version of Pokemon.

The Pokemon franchise has so much potential. It's sounds crazy to say it's wasted because Pokemon is still a huge deal, but it really is being wasted. I can only hope that Nintendo is desperate enough that they spend the money and effort to make a home console Pokemon and that it lives up to the hopes of its fans.

If not, Pokemon is still as addictive as ever on handhelds.

Mr-Joker

Banned
That, in a way, is the point. The handheld Pokemon games won't stop being made, and nor should they. A home console version should be either a standalone game or it's own spinoff series (Shin Megami Tensei series vs. Persona series).

It would be a watered down spin-off so that it doesn't eat into the main series sales, this is exactly what happen with the Colosseum and XD games.

The truth is the spin off are filler to tide people over until the next game in the main series get released.

If I were developing the game, I'd have an option to turn all battles into Turn Based or Real Time as well as an option to turn off all environmental obstacles. That way people could play what amounts to just a home console version of Pokemon.

Why would you put an option for real time battle in a main series Pokémon game? It works fine in turn base.

Also Game Freak already lowered the environmental obstacles from gen 5 and continued it with gen 6.

The Pokemon franchise has so much potential. It's sounds crazy to say it's wasted because Pokemon is still a huge deal, but it really is being wasted. I can only hope that Nintendo is desperate enough that they spend the money and effort to make a home console Pokemon and that it lives up to the hopes of its fans.

Pokémon potential isn't being wasted at all by not being on the home console.

This thread is basically wahh why wont Nintendo do my genius idea that i though of they must be stupid and unable to come up with this brilliant idea them selves.

It always is.

At least this time we don't have an actual example of that theoretical shitpost you made. Sometimes people are actually derp enough to say that shit and mean it.

Jinko

Why would you put an option for real time battle in a main series Pokémon game? It works fine in turn base.

Why wouldn't you ?

Choice is good, man some people are so resistant to the thought of change, as others have mentioned it doesn't have to take anything away from the current hand held games and could be something entirely separate.

The truth is the spin off are filler to tide people over until the next game in the main series get released.

Except Persona (a spin off) is probably more popular than the main franchise these days, obviously that wouldn't happen for pokemon because handheld will always beat console on sales when it comes to pokemon, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to expand the franchise and an all out console games doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me.

Nanashrew

Banned
GameFreak owes that to us. The people who grew up with the first generations and made GF what they are now.

Still targeting children and forgetting the older fans who gave them success is like a betrayal = (
No, they dont. But they could be at least grateful to us.
They become what they are with OUR help.

Forgetting about us is the perfect example of a company who only cares about money and doesnt give a fuck about their fans.

What are you even talking about? They haven't forgotten about you or me. You've forgotten about them and have moved on. You want them to cater to your needs and that is just not how it works at all. This perception problem is really getting out of hand that many people believe that every company should grow up around them and forget about the rest. Especially forgetting about the kids.

"Just don't have time" is another example and a constant theme I see from adults talking about games for just about any reason why something they think is wrong and that they should be catered to. It's a childish perspective.

I still play the Pokemon games, have been since Red, Blue and Yellow. They haven't forgotten about their fans and they're always trying to bring in new fans while doing so.

Kura

Banned
What are you even talking about? They haven't forgotten about you or me. You've forgotten about them and have moved on. You want them to cater to your needs and that is just not how it works at all. This perception problem is really getting out of hand that many people believe that every company should grow up around them and forget about the rest. Especially forgetting about the kids.

"Just don't have time" is another example and a constant theme I see from adults talking about games for just about any reason why something they think is wrong and that they should be catered to. It's a childish perspective.

I still play the Pokemon games, have been since Red, Blue and Yellow. They haven't forgotten about their fans and they're always trying to bring in new fans while doing so.

Yeah, the kids who still didnt play any of them.

Pokemon is the most wasted trademark ever. Targetting always the same audience throws out the chance to make the most epic games the industry could have.
But hey, Game Freak gets money, and thats all we care about. Theres no reason to make the most amazing game we can.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, the kids who still didnt play any of them.

Pokemon is the most wasted trademark ever. Targetting always the same audience throws out the chance to make the most epic games the industry could have.
But hey, Game Freak gets money, and thats all we care about. Theres no reason to make the most amazing game we can.

The point about sequels is not drastic changes but refinement, additional content and changes when necessary without sacrificing its core. Sounds like you want something different. Something "epic" or grandiose that Pokemon probably won't ever be in your eyes like it was when you were a kid.

onilink88

I think they should get Monolithsoft on a Wii U Pokemon RPG.

Ewwwwwww.

I honestly am not convinced that Monolith in their current state would be the right team for it, also this would be a very ambitious project. So even if it started development today it's pretty much guaranteed to miss Wii U.

Not that I'm an advocate of a Monolith-made Pokemon, but you do realize that these guys specialize in large, insanely ambitious projects, right? Xenoblade was far and away the most ambitious game on the Wii, and the same is holding true for Xenoblade X.

sd28821

That, in a way, is the point. The handheld Pokemon games won't stop being made, and nor should they. A home console version should be either a standalone game or it's own spinoff series (Shin Megami Tensei series vs. Persona series). Plus, the numbers game would still be very much intact, there would just be other factors as well. If I were developing the game, I'd have an option to turn all battles into Turn Based or Real Time as well as an option to turn off all environmental obstacles. That way people could play what amounts to just a home console version of Pokemon.

And what is there incentive to spend way more time and money on a project that would be guaranteed to sell worse and make far less money if it makes it back at all besides your feelings .

Glass Rebel

Why wouldn't you ?

Choice is good, man some people are so resistant to the thought of change, as others have mentioned it doesn't have to take anything away from the current hand held games and could be something entirely separate.

Waste of money and resources for something that only a part of the players are going to use. You'd have to spend a lot of work on a real-time mode on par with the existing combat, work that would be better spent on a separate project.

This has nothing to do with resistance to change, just common sense.

It would be a watered down spin-off so that it doesn't eat into the main series sales, this is exactly what happen with the Colosseum and XD games.

Let's use our imagination for a second. Take the Pokemon mainline games, everything about them. Now, put that in a fully realized 3D space ala Ni no Kuni. Then you could possibly even add hunting elements such as seeing bird tracks in sand or claw marks on a tree. Even if it's functionally the same, imagine it bigger with a lot more details. It isn't watered down.

It works fine as a turn based game. Another poster and I was discussing how the game could be made to feel more like the anime. Along with more, shall we say immersive gameplay elements outside of battle, adding a real time element to wild battles would make it feel closer to the anime. Trainer battles are supposed to be more structured, hence the turn based system. Having that system be real time, but with an ATB or similar system would give the battles a more frantic pace. Since you are still choosing between four moves per Pokemon it wouldn't get too complex.

Pokémon potential isn't being wasted at all by not being on the home console.

I'm not saying that, not quite. In general I think the Pokemon franchise has wasted potential because the mainline series of games hasn't really changed since generation 1. Sure there are a few more Pokemon types, new battles types and other things; but essentially it feels exactly like the original. And that's fine, the games are still fun and they are still extremely popular. All I'm saying is, at the very least, imagine that formula except with a compelling story and interesting characters. That alone would elevate the series. Then imagine all the things they could do creatively if they had much more power and freedom to work with.

It's not that Pokemon is bad - it isn't - it's that it could be so much more, especially since so many people have strong nostalgic feelings for the franchise. What I'm talking about aren't ideas I think Nintendo should necessarily employ, I'm just speaking from a "Wouldn't this be really cool." point of view.

And what is there incentive to spend way more time and money on a project that would be guaranteed to sell worse and make far less money if it makes it back at all besides your feelings .

I'm not speaking from a point of view that Nintendo should do this because it's a safe investment. If they were to really give it 100%, it would be very costly. And it wouldn't automatically make a big profit (maybe no profit at all). The only reason I think Nintendo would do this is if they felt they needed to make a high quality, fully 3D Pokemon game for a home console. Whether it's because they believe they need to expand the franchise in case of the handheld market collapsing or they believe they need to do it to help sell a new home console and help it get off to a great start.

I'm just discussing a what if, pipedream scenario. It will likely not happen. But it's fun to speculate about what could happen. And I think Pokemon has a ton of untapped potential. Ni no Kuni was a really good JRPG, and a properly done Pokemon game could be two or three times as good. That's saying a lot, in my opinion.

sd28821

I'm not speaking from a point of view that Nintendo should do this because it's a safe investment. If they were to really give it 100%, it would be very costly. And it wouldn't automatically make a big profit (maybe no profit at all). The only reason I think Nintendo would do this is if they felt they needed to make a high quality, fully 3D Pokemon game for a home console. Whether it's because they believe they need to expand the franchise in case of the handheld market collapsing or they believe they need to do it to help sell a new home console and help it get off to a great start.

I'm just discussing a what if, pipedream scenario. It will likely not happen. But it's fun to speculate about what could happen. And I think Pokemon has a ton of untapped potential. Ni no Kuni was a really good JRPG, and a properly done Pokemon game could be two or three times as good. That's saying a lot, in my opinion.

that's fine then at least your realistic about it unlike people who state that Nintendo is dumb for not doing it which is the only problem i have with these topics.

Kura

Banned
The thing is.

You may want it, or not.
You may think that Pokémon is not for home consoles, or that it could work.

But there's one absolute truth out there.

If a 3D Pokémon for Wii U were released, EVERY FAN IN THE WORLD WOULD BUY IT. Just like any fan of any franchise. And you know it's true evendough you cant think about how a Pokémon could be for home consoles.

And more, it even would sell Wii U like hotcakes.

You can explain your point of view in which I can agree or not.
But I dont think what I said is false.

A 3D Pokémon for Wii U would be a win-win.

Kyzer

Banned
People will defend their preconceived notions of what "company x" would or wouldn't do till the cows come home its totally possible. On Wii U maybe less likely because they have less motivation to dedicate resources to it at this point but there's no way to say one way or the other. If fucking Pokemon Art Academy and PokePark can be greenlit a traditional RPG for consoles is certainly not impossible.

ChipotIe

Banned
Aren't most spinoffs not good sellers save for a few titles?

I said Xenoblade Chronicles. Something that isn't pandering garbage or babby's first gamm like the dungeon or rumble games.

I want something with a serious design overhaul to human characters, setting, and background art and I want a real story. I think a lot of us would appreciate something like that.

Seriously not every idea you have is good or smart when it comes to running a business and making money seriously if you wanna make this argument sit down and make a full business plan including research in to cost,long term viability etc . because if you did most would realized how pointless the idea is as a money making venture.

You're right Nintendo is doing just fine as they are.

Glass Rebel

People will defend their preconceived notions of what "company x" would or wouldn't do till the cows come home its totally possible. On Wii U maybe less likely because they have less motivation to dedicate resources to it at this point but there's no way to say one way or the other. If fucking Pokemon Art Academy and PokePark can be greenlit a traditional RPG for consoles is certainly not impossible.

I'm not sure I want a console RPG with the budget of either these two.

JoeM86

It is impossible because Game Freak have said it is not happening and they make the decisions. It's as simple as that.

Top Bottom