• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member
undertaker needs to be a 2/1 or a 1/3 that only gains attack power.

I think the way it needs to go is just all new cards (particularly more 1-drops) that offer even more power/advantage than Undertaker does, so that when you're making a deck there are 1-drops that are even better than Undertaker. I think rather than nerfing cards, they just want to buff future cards. We'll see with the expansion, but I expect it to be filled with cards that can turn a game around like Undertaker from the first or second turn.

that will only make zoo and hunter more powerful. right now the winner boils down to who can barf up more 1-2 drops in the first 3 turns. : (

iNvid02

i dont know why i only had 1 2drop or how i got to 10 wins, but its all good

9X5UBxL.jpg

L8NQogV.png

B12fS6R.png

Volimar

I feel like every class has a way to deal with an undertaker in the first couple of turns. The problem is that the cards to do it are undervalued and people don't want to include them in their decks to play around one card.

johnsmith

remember me
Having to pay at least 2 mana to deal with a 1 mana creature is a big tempo loss. Especially when you have to deal with a free secret too.

Minsc

Gold Member
I feel like every class has a way to deal with an undertaker in the first couple of turns. The problem is that the cards to do it are undervalued and people don't want to include them in their decks to play around one card.

The main issue is these ways of dealing with undertaker lock you in to not having a strong opening yourself, if you mulligan for removal and damage and silence, and down the road add in secret removal when it becomes available, you end up with a hand of nothing to play when you're against a control deck or something like handlock, who will happily thank you for passing your first three turns to let them hero power to 10 cards or start the board with strong 4 or 5 drops and not having to deal with an early game played against them.

So what we need is a lot more 1 and 2 drops that make the undertaker look weak (or at least merely average). Then you could just play your own non-undertaker 1-drop that wins the game for you because your opponent only has their undertaker and a few deathrattles, which do nothing against your newly released 1 and 2-drops. Like a 1/1 divine shield poison minion with charge (and maybe windfury while we're at it) that destroys all your own minions when you attack (so you can't use it with a rush deck), that'd certainly take care of some issues.

DrDogg

I've only been playing this game for a few months and still have a lot to learn, but what is the deal with all the BM? It doesn't seem to matter if I win or lose, 90% of the people I play do some sort of BM before the match ends. I watch tournament streams and the commentators are promoting the BM.

I can put up with a lot of bad attitudes in online gaming, but Hearthstone is far worse than any fighting game (where I get messages about playing too much, etc. etc.). It really takes away from the game. Is this a Blizzard thing or some sort of socially accepted aspect of TCGs?

Not trying to whine about it, but I'm genuinely wondering why it's so prevalent.

Joeytitans

Neo Member
I've only been playing this game for a few months and still have a lot to learn, but what is the deal with all the BM? It doesn't seem to matter if I win or lose, 90% of the people I play do some sort of BM before the match ends. I watch tournament streams and the commentators are promoting the BM.

I can put up with a lot of bad attitudes in online gaming, but Hearthstone is far worse than any fighting game (where I get messages about playing too much, etc. etc.). It really takes away from the game. Is this a Blizzard thing or some sort of socially accepted aspect of TCGs?

Not trying to whine about it, but I'm genuinely wondering why it's so prevalent.

Whether I see I'm going to win or lose, I try to play as many cards as possible in order to get the most amount of experience or to try to fulfill more quests (play x amount of minions less than 2 mana). And with how we have the ability to "squelch" the opponents emoticons, and the time limit each player has, I don't see it being too big of an issue.

Also, in the last tournament, the commentators really only seemed to be promoting the BM in order to get under the opponents skin for the future matches. At the end of one series, a player BM'd and the commentators called it out and were not pleased.

I think the way it needs to go is just all new cards (particularly more 1-drops) that offer even more power/advantage than Undertaker does, so that when you're making a deck there are 1-drops that are even better than Undertaker. I think rather than nerfing cards, they just want to buff future cards. We'll see with the expansion, but I expect it to be filled with cards that can turn a game around like Undertaker from the first or second turn.

What kind of 1 drop would be better than undertaker without power creep setting in? There has to be some limit of how strong a minion can be so I am not sure how they can accomplish that.

I'm not certain enough to say that undertaker HAS to be nerfed, but I am fairly certain to say that nothing can be stronger than undertaker costing 1 mana without being broken.

If they do nerf undertaker, making it 2 mana or 1/1 would be ideal I think. 2 mana isn't actually a bad idea imo because the card is still generally stronger than 2 drops when played off curve. And 1/1 just makes it harder to get a ton of value on when dropped on an empty board hoping it survives a round unbuffed and more vulnerable to removal in general. Still most removal will go less than 1:1 in terms of mana spent at least.

What kind of 1 drop would be better than undertaker without power creep setting in? There has to be some limit of how strong a minion can be so I am not sure how they can accomplish that.

I'm not certain enough to say that undertaker HAS to be nerfed, but I am fairly certain to say that nothing can be stronger than undertaker costing 1 mana without being broken.

If they do nerf undertaker, making it 2 mana or 1/1 would be ideal I think. 2 mana isn't actually a bad idea imo because the card is still generally stronger than 2 drops when played off curve. And 1/1 just makes it harder to get a ton of value on when dropped on an empty board hoping it survives a round unbuffed and more vulnerable to removal in general. Still most removal will go less than 1:1 in terms of mana spent at least.

Unsharing Ghoul: 1-mana 2/2; When your opponent plays a minion with Deathrattle, this minion gains +1/1. Your minions cost (1) more.
Gravedigger: 1-mana 2/1; Battlecry: Gain +1/+2 for each other non-friendly minion with Deathrattle on the battlefield.

Basically, play a minion that gets buffed when the opponent plays a Deathrattle minion, or is buffed if there are already Deathrattle minions in-play. My example probably sucks though.

Neki

The problem is also that if they draw a great undertaker opening and you don't get your early removal, you flat out lose by turn three or four. No other card has that massive advantage on turn 1. There are games where I draw badly against druid or shaman or priest and can make a somewhat viable comeback, but if I draw badly against an undertaker opening it's using a 3/4 or 4/5 in addition to their other monsters and you just lose.

Kettch

Man, just went up against the best arena warrior deck I've ever seen.

Death's Bite into Arcanite Reaper into double molten giant/double shield block (on the same turn) into Gorehowl to finish me off.

Dreavus

It depends on how you take them. The internet in general is often brimming with sarcasm and "non-genuineness (?)" so it's easy to think of a "well played" as being snide or sarcastic when it's coming from an opponent who just beat you, which may or may not be how it was intentioned.

I just mute everyone after mulligans. I wish there was a default option for this.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Unsharing Ghoul: 1-mana 2/2; When your opponent plays a minion with Deathrattle, this minion gains +1/1. Your minions cost (1) more.
Gravedigger: 1-mana 2/1; Battlecry: Gain +1/+2 for each other non-friendly minion with Deathrattle on the battlefield.

Basically, play a minion that gets buffed when the opponent plays a Deathrattle minion, or is buffed if there are already Deathrattle minions in-play. My example probably sucks though.

Bad idea. Any card like that is dead if your opponent isn't playing a bunch of deathrattles. Keeping undertaker in check with an "anti-undertaker" card doesn't really solve the problem, it just limits deck possibilities.

Haunted

Sometimes you don't even realise the combo opportunities in your deck until you've played it. Putting that Void Terror between the Haunted Creepers while the Knife Juggler was up gave me the extra reach to finish that game.

They both seem like examples of power creep that shouldn't be included in the game. Even the +1 cost of minions isn't a big deal if you stop your opponent from playing any minions themselves.

Gravedigger's text looks too good to me personally. It wouldn't be unreasonable to get a 5/7 on turn 3 for just 1 mana. Soon we'll be looking for ways to add cards to counter gravedigger, is the reason why power creep doesn't really work well.

I almost can't believe I beat a secret mage who got to play 5 loathebs, with 3 of those being back to back almost.

The only thing I had going for me was that I was almost full hp, he was down to 2-3 cards, I had a healthy hand, and I could deal with loatheb the next turn fairly well.

Then he played 2 more secrets.

They turned out to be mirror entity, duplicate, and counter spell.

I planned on playing azure drake, rockbiter on my haunted creeper to remove the azure drake, and lava burst on loatheb.

I triggered the counter spell first with rockbiter. Then followed up with lava burst to remove the dude because I was still assuming that at least one of those secrets was mirror entity. Because I already had 2 totems on board, 50/50 chance to get taunt totem. Success. But yeah, duplicate triggered on loatheb... so loatheb hits the board again... I play an 8 mana feral spirit, and he hits loatheb again. Totem pass. No cheap minions to bait out mirror entity and no way to use lightning storm to clear either. He also played another secret AND pinged his undertaker to deathtaker indicating it is definitely duplicate.

With 2x 5/3s on board, due to removing feral spirits each, I finally got a chance to cast a spell.... azure drake (trigger mirror entity), lightning storm = board clear. Of course he got another 2 loathebs in his hand, but not much else. He did play a flamestrike later on but I already had him down to 3 hp with doomhammer in hand.

Gotchaye

I've had some really interesting Arena decks lately, including a few that were just stupidly powerful with lots of Fireballs and Flamestrikes and the occasional Pyroblast which easily got to 12 wins. But the most fun one only got to 6 wins or so and was built around an Archmage Antonidas and an Ice Block and Duplicate. There was a Druid deck with an unfortunate early game but 5 Druids of the Claw, an Ancient of Lore, and two of the 8/8 taunters. I got a lot farther than I was expecting (maybe 10 wins) with a really fast Mage deck that was basically all early minions and a couple Fireballs for reach and Polymorphs for taunts. Good times, and now I've got enough gold to fund Arenas for a month.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm about to go 0-3. That's it. I'm done with arena. Saving gold until the expansion comes out. So fucking sick of people having the god hands every damn game.

I can't even believe it. I've probably gotten more 12 wins than 0 wins, and it actually happened.

ShinNL

1/4, 2 mana
Deathrattle minions costs 2 more.

While we're at it also add:

1/4, 2 mana
1 mana cards costs 1 more.

1/4, 2 mana
2 mana cards costs 1 more.

1/4, 2 mana
3 mana cards costs 1 more.

1/4, 2 mana
4 mana cards costs 1 more.

1/4, 2 mana
5 mana cards costs 1 more.

1/4, 2 mana
6 mana cards costs 1 more.

etc.

The new "white" meta.

How else will Blizzard create 100 new cards Kappa

I think I learned a lot about shaman through all the pain I've been having going up and down between rank 3 then all the way back to rank 6 cause I nearly held an 80% win rate all night til I small streak of bad luck lost me 3 in a row.

One thing I was doing was over-reacting to undertaker and perhaps mulliganing slightly too greedy vs one or two match ups. I've also stopped aiming for a turn 2 unbound, turn 3 feral spirits... it just happens to not actually be all that reliable... At least not worth keeping specifically in my mulligan I feel like.

zoukka

I'm about to go 0-3. That's it. I'm done with arena. Saving gold until the expansion comes out. So fucking sick of people having the god hands every damn game.

I can't even believe it. I've probably gotten more 12 wins than 0 wins, and it actually happened.

One bad arena gets you this salty?

I am running into this persistent issue at rank 5-6 where I play a zoo type deck to counter zoo then I hit a wall of control so I move to my control decks and get wrecked by zoo. I just cannot get any momentum going either way. It is so frustrating.

Xanathus

Woo, finished a Total Dominance and 6 win Priest quest at the same time today and got 160 gold. It's (almost) OVER 9000!!!! I could probably hit legend again but (Sylvanas voice) I have no time for games.

vbh1jqT.png

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm trying to save enough Dusts for crafting a Legendary card someday, as the only thing i have right now is the Black Knight(which I got from an Expert Pack). Which one would you guys suggest to me, which isn't like the best player out there? I only play casually for the daily quests.
I assume a Neutral card is better than class specific ones since I can use them on all classes.

I'm trying to save enough Dusts for crafting a Legendary card someday, as the only thing i have right now is the Black Knight(which I got from an Expert Pack). Which one would you guys suggest to me, which isn't like the best player out there? I only play casually for the daily quests.
I assume a Neutral card is better than class specific ones since I can use them on all classes.

Without knowing exactly what type of deck you play, Ragnaros and Sylvanas are generally good in most mid-to-late game decks.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Without knowing exactly what type of deck you play, Ragnaros and Sylvanas are generally good in most mid-to-late game decks.

I don't have particular type of decks. I just pick cards I feel are good for me and the class i play and go with it. I play all the classes anyway because of daily quests.

Xanathus

I don't have particular type of decks. I just pick cards I feel are good for me and the class i play and go with it. I play all the classes anyway because of daily quests.

Ragnaros/Sylvanas/Cairne, the actual choice is very very deck specific. However I'd pick Thalnos over those 3 if you want to play Shaman more.

Haunted

I'm beginning to see the extra value of Thoughtsteal as far as identifying your opponent's deck is concerned. It doesn't really come into play in the lower ranks, where many decks contain unusual cards, are self-made, or are netdecks missing certain epics/legendaries - at least compared to the handful of deck archetypes played rank 5 and lower.

Ragnaros is a strong finisher card that has a place in many decks. Ysera is (imo) the best legendary if you like to play control-type decks. Cairne and Sylvanas are great legendaries for mid-range decks. Leeroy Jenkins is still a good card in many aggro decks.

So... it mostly depends on your playstyle, but Ragnaros is never a bad choice to craft as one of your first legendaries, imo. :)

Special C

The only two staple legendaries I still need are Thalnos and Ysera. I can craft one of them. I'm thinking Thalnos since nothing else really feels that role. I think Ysera can be subsituted with Rag in most decks.

the only thing that gets me salty is facing a bunch of the same type of deck on ladder, adjusting my deck to compensate and then never seeing that type of deck again.

it's like the matchmaker is, if BGH, then zoo. if no hard removal, then handlock.

CoolOff

I just got added by a bot.
emoticon-4339-src-07433e94eae8754e-28x28.png

I played Control Warrior and decided to farm XP against this zoo-bot, so I kept him alive at 1HP and just picked off his minions that he played. I guess the guy running the bot thought it took too long so afterwards he friended me and said some not so nice words.

Leezard

I just got added by a bot.
emoticon-4339-src-07433e94eae8754e-28x28.png

I played Control Warrior and decided to farm XP against this zoo-bot, so I kept him alive at 1HP and just picked off his minions that he played. I guess the guy running the bot thought it took too long so afterwards he friended me and said some not so nice words.

A+, you have done great if you managed to get a botter mad.

Mirimar

Couldn't they just make a 1 or 2 drop that eats a deathrattle minion for a buff, ala Hungry Crab? Actually thinking it through better, it would have to be relegated to deathrattle minions of a certain strength or else it'd be super OP.

Also, is there any reasoning behind why we don't have more debuffing cards? Like the polar opposites of Shattered Sun Cleric and Dark Iron Dwarf. A minion that gives a -2 power debuff or one that gives a -1/-1?

ZZMitch

the only thing that gets me salty is facing a bunch of the same type of deck on ladder, adjusting my deck to compensate and then never seeing that type of deck again.

it's like the matchmaker is, if BGH, then zoo. if no hard removal, then handlock.

You and Reynad would be pals. When he streams he constantly talks about how the matchmaking is designed to give you bad matchups.

Boogiepop

Okay, I'm actually kind of grumpy now. Just played a guy who clearly planned his turns solely around a knife juggler's throw hitting the 50/50 chance, and it of course worked out perfectly for him. Ugh, that should have been terrible playing but instead he of course stomps me. :(

Volimar

Okay, I'm actually kind of grumpy now. Just played a guy who clearly planned his turns solely around a knife juggler's throw hitting the 50/50 chance, and it of course worked out perfectly for him. Ugh, that should have been terrible playing but instead he of course stomps me. :(

Sorry, but I got to admit I love it when it works out for me.

I AM A GOD!

And then Mad Bomber hits me in the face 3 times and knocks me down a few pegs.

johnsmith

remember me
3 mad bomber hits to your face is far from the worst that can happen. I've had it take out a 3 health minion on my side multiple times.

inky

I've had a bomber kill my 5-2 creature (tiger) and hit my Sunwalker's Divine Shield with 5 minions on board.

I mean, he needed my DS off so he could get through with his creature so I applaud the attempt, but killing my highest damage creature at the same time was fucking ridiculous and cost me the game.

I wish we had replays.

Kaper

So, uhh... A hunter just got King Krush from a webspinner and missed lethal on me. I had used mind vision a few turns earlier when he only had 2 cards, and got a hungry crab instead of King Krush. I don't know how to feel.

This Shadow Madness -> Brewmaster tech on Amaz' stream is pretty sweet.

Somebody brought this combo up in the previous thread and I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it now. When you use Shadow Madness, you can immediately use the minion that you just stole, it effectively has Charge. What is the advantage of using a Brewmaster to put it back in your hand so that you can pay its cost to put it back out and then wait for next turn so it can attack? Adding Brewmaster just seems to use up two additional mana and one extra card in order to get the exact same result one or two turns later. The only card I can think of that would actually be worth putting back in your hand is Sludge Belcher, and only because it's hard to get him killed in one turn (if he's at full health). It might be a fun play, but it really isn't worth wasting slots in your deck on Brewmasters.

Somebody brought this combo up in the previous thread and I didn't like it then, and I still don't like it now. When you use Shadow Madness, you can immediately use the minion that you just stole, it effectively has Charge. What is the advantage of using a Brewmaster to put it back in your hand so that you can pay its cost to put it back out and then wait for next turn so it can attack? Adding Brewmaster just seems to use up two additional mana and one extra card in order to get the exact same result one or two turns later. The only card I can think of that would actually be worth putting back in your hand is Sludge Belcher, and only because it's hard to get him killed in one turn (if he's at full health). It might be a fun play, but it really isn't worth wasting slots in your deck on Brewmasters.

any card with a battlecry might be worth it. but sludge belcher is the obvious best target. that card is so good.

edit: not that I think the card is worth a slot in a deck. maybe in a super greedy control deck. which is just bad for laddering right now because of all the undertaker garbage.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

If the minion you used shadow madness on has life remaining or you can't kill it, then you've effectively used the brewmaster to both remove your opponent's minion from the board AND draw yourself a card. So let's say your opponent has a 3/3 and a Tazdingo. If you Shadow Madness the Tazdingo, kill the 3/3, and then return the Tazdingo to your hand, then you've effectively spent 6 mana and 2 cards to remove 2 of your opponent's minions, put down a 3/2 of your own, AND you've drawn yourself a card.

CoolOff

Druid in Arena uses Nourish on turn 5... but not to draw...?

Following turn, 8 mana, Ancient of War.

Turn 9: Ancient of War

Turn 10: Gruul.

Yeaaaaaah....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom