• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

histopher

Paper Mario would be awesome. It would be really easy to implement him in the game seeing as he is 2D. They could go really crazy with his moveset and have each move include a helper - it wouldn't take much of a toll on the hardware.

Sendou

I haven't kept up at date at all but Dark Pit? Sakurai please. Come on tell me there was a shitstorm about this already.

Juansho

Banned
As a fan of the Metroid series, and someone who's been wanting Ridley since before the announcement of Melee
and thought he was gonna be in the game after seeing the intro/trailer video back then, which he wasn't :C
, I only want Metroid to get more recognition by the Smash games.

So far, every Smash game has had a Metroid stage in which there's rising lava/acid, with only 2 stages being different from that, and only one of those 2 actually fun to play on (Frigate Orpheon).
The only characters the Metroid franchise has gotten is Samus in her 2 different outfits. The series, by now, has introduced many characters that are fit to become fighters, even beyond Ridley, so there's no excuse on that front - even if it's "not a character driven series".
Most of the music that the Smash series has used for the series are either directly taken from the game or not all that amazingly rearranged (though there's some decent ones).

I'm glad that at least in this installment, Metroid is getting some really cool Assist Trophies with Dark Samus and Mother Brain, and some enemies in SmashRun, but I still feel like Metroid just doesn't get as much love as it deserves.

And Donkey Kong doesn't get the love it deserves either.

Donkey Kong deserves better, I think the DK and Metroid are tied at 4th after Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

If Sakurai did do DLC, I'd hope to see

Captain Syrup
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Pichu
Roy
Great Tiger
Lucas
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Snake

(I'm operating on the idea that Dixie Kong, Ridley, Chorus Kids, and Mewtwo made it in at launch)

I think that would be nigh perfect for me. All veterans back, plus Wario Land and Punch-Out!! get the second reps that they deserve!

JediLink

Paper Mario would be baller as fuck. I just want more recognition of the first two games. Even a Rawk Hawk assist trophy or something would be nice.

Jackano

I'd be perfectly fine with it as long as it's someone that makes sense, like Dark Samus. The whole reason I want Ridley in the first place is because Metroid needs more damn reps other than Samus and Samus. (And no, Dark Samus is not Samus.)

Dark Samus makes no sense, Dark Link isn't Link either but is just an alt costume.
True Metroid is under represented but the game franchise is about exploring planets, mostly alone. You don't have that much recurring or iconic characters after Samus and Ridley.

Zelda still have only 4 and no newcomer (and only because Sheik is standalone now), it's very weak compared to the franchise power and numbers of characters. Also weak compared to Fire Emblem. Ganon should be a given (no bad character yet) and I will hope until the end for Impa.

Regarding fakes or leak, several things comes to mind:
Sakurai just said everyone can't return, and the leaks are about making everyone return or almost that;
Sakurai said number of character can't be extended for obvious balancing reasons, and Brawl was almost at the limit;
Sakurai said he don't want clones as far as possible;

So "leaks" made of Shulk and a bunch of clones returning dont exactly get my attention.

As I said before, if we're doing DLC, all previously cut characters should be included, along with some new ones to keep it fresh.

Everybody wins that way.

neto

So are, imo at least, the myriad of Fire Emblem characters, or Pokemon.

So? Palutena and Pittoo are not easily recognized by someone that isn't a fan of Kid Icarus Uprising. All the Fire Emblem people aren't easily recognized by someone that isn't a fan of Fire Emblem or Smash (at least for Marth and Ike). Same goes for Wario characters - I doubt anybody who isn't a fan of the series knows about people like Jimmy T, Captain Syrup or Ashley.
And then there's Ice Climbers, G&W, R.O.B., Pit before KI:U and other retro characters. Being recognizable means little to nothing for being picked for a roster.
Agree with Fire Emblem, that if you don't know about the game you have no idea of who the characters are, but I think the difference is that if you played a fire emblem game you probably get to know the characters (I have only played Awakening), with pokemon for me only pichu is the outlier, maybe lucario, but I was away of everything related pokemon between gold/silver and X/Y maybe he was an important pokemon in the anime or something, with F-Zero while playing you could avoid every character and just stay with your favorite and never know anything else about them besides their faces and the machine they drive.

Ice Climbers, G&W, ROB, and Pit could be said that its just part of the history of Nintendo, that's the reason why I think the Duck Hunt Dog isn't a far-fetched character to add, and Sakurai may have a bias with KI:U

Yeah, that's why I called him Bimmy. :p I still think it's a valid idea. And we already have generic character types in Smash (Pokemon).

With pokemon I would agree if they added a random one like machamp or tediursa, yes they are generic in a sense that they are a lot in the games, but pikachu is the face of pokemon, charizard is a fan favorite, greninja is a starter of the X/Y, only lucario IDK why is recognized or important.

Dark Samus is vastly different from regular Samus. Unlike Dark Pit who is basically Pit just with a couple different weapons at best. :p As for Anthony, I'm just saying that the series has characters beyond Ridley to pick from.

If we can get Fox, Falco and Wolf in the same game, and can have a playable Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-Man, I don't believe having a second F-Zero or Metroid character would be specifically out of the question.

Honestly I was never a fan of wolf in brawl, and I'm with you, I would like to have more f zero or metroid characters, I'm only saying that I find it hard to justify having them, there hasn't been a new F-Zero game in ages and the last Metroid wasn't well received by fans.

JoeInky

Dark Samus makes no sense, Dark Link isn't Link either but is just an alt costume.
True Metroid is under represented but the game franchise is about exploring planets, mostly alone. You don't have that much recurring or iconic characters after Samus and Ridley.

Have you played the Prime series at all?

Dark Samus is completely different from Samus, a lot of different powers and abilities and possible moveset ideas.

Dark Link is always an exact clone of Link because that's what he's meant to be, you'd have to completely make up moves for him to differentiate him from Link, not the case for Dark Samus.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I just hope the Chorus Men are in, Rhythm Heaven deserves a presence in the game. It wouldn't be right to miss out on some of the godly music from the series.

Holy shit, if Paper Mario was to look like this in the game, damn.

294px-MarioPMSS.png

I just hope the Chorus Men are in, Rhythm Heaven deserves a presence in the game. It wouldn't be right to miss out on some of the godly music from the series.

The reason they're DLC is so they can coincide the release with the announcement of the next Rhythm Heaven game!

The leak is fake tho

As a fan of the Metroid series, and someone who's been wanting Ridley since before the announcement of Melee
and thought he was gonna be in the game after seeing the intro/trailer video back then, which he wasn't :C

So far, every Smash game has had a Metroid stage in which there's rising lava/acid, with only 2 stages being different from that, and only one of those 2 actually fun to play on (Frigate Orpheon).
The only characters the Metroid franchise has gotten is Samus in her 2 different outfits. The series, by now, has introduced many characters that are fit to become fighters, even beyond Ridley, so there's no excuse on that front - even if it's "not a character driven series".
Most of the music that the Smash series has used for the series are either directly taken from the game or not all that amazingly rearranged (though there's some decent ones).

I'm glad that at least in this installment, Metroid is getting some really cool Assist Trophies with Dark Samus and Mother Brain, and some enemies in SmashRun, but I still feel like Metroid just doesn't get as much love as it deserves.

I really dislike the stage choices for Metroid, everything is orange, dark and filled with lava. There are so many great different locations to choose from, such as Phendrana, Tallon Overworld, Sanctuary Fortress... and I haven't even played Corruption yet.

neto

Dark Samus is completely different from Samus, a lot of different powers and abilities and possible moveset ideas.

Dark Link is always an exact clone of Link because that's what he's meant to be, you'd have to completely make up moves for him to differentiate him from Link, not the case for Dark Samus.

I have only fully played Prime 1, and like half hour of echoes and corruption, I should finish them to know Dark Samus better

JediLink

Dark Link is an apparition that represents Link's dark side. Dark Samus is Metroid Prime after absorbing some of Samus' DNA and the Phazon Suit. They're not really comparable.

JoeInky

I really dislike the stage choices for Metroid, everything is orange, dark and filled with lava. There are so many great different locations to choose from, such as Phendrana, Tallon Overworld, Sanctuary Fortress... and I haven't even played Corruption yet.

Bryyo is one of my favourite locations in a Metroid Game and that's from Corruption.

Giant landmasses chained to the planet is the coolest thing,

I also like Santuary Fotress, Torvus Bog, Pirate Homeworld, Phaaze. The Metroid Prime series gets so much fucking right with the environment design, blows the 2D games out of the water.

Metroid and DK are treated really badly in Smash, it sucks.

He doesn't even have to play the Prime series, just look at the footage of Dark Samus' AT from the Smash Direct. I mean c'mon.

JoeInky

His name's Paper Mario, not Felt Mario! Paper Mario should only take inspiration from the real Paper Mario games.

I think it's meant to be craft paper, but yeah he shouldn't be based on anything from sticker star really.

Though I'd be fine with a Paper Mario character taking all his visual inspiration from Sticker Star, that game best realised the paper aesthetic if you ask me.

Game Guru

Regarding fakes or leak, several things comes to mind:
Sakurai just said everyone can't return, and the leaks are about making everyone return or almost that;
Sakurai said number of character can't be extended for obvious balancing reasons, and Brawl was almost at the limit;

First, we can probably guess Squirtle and Ivysaur aren't returning, so the first point has been fulfilled already. Second, Smash 4 already has 37 announced fighters when Brawl has 39. That does not even include the fact that Mii Fighter has three different versions so we are already technically at the number of fighters that Brawl has and I don't think guys like Wario, Ganondorf, or Ness will be missing from Smash 4. Third, your final point has been nullified because Sakurai added Lucina as a clone of Marth.

Basically, your last two points have been proven wrong by Sakurai's own actions with this very game, while the first one is dependent on if Squirtle and Ivysaur count as cut characters.

Anyone with Photoshop skills, some free time, and a helpful disposition want to do me a solid and do a mockup of the Wii U character select screen with the leak characters + five alleged DLC characters? I'd love to see what that would look like.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Anyone with Photoshop skills, some free time, and a helpful disposition want to do me a solid and do a mockup of the Wii U character select screen with the leak characters + five alleged DLC characters? I'd love to see what that would look like.
This?
If the supposed leak really is real, then here's what the final roster will look like, including DLC:

p6uz5F.png

I gotta say, the lack of Mewtwo and a third Donkey Kong character really bums me out, but aside from that I'd be really happy with this roster. I hope we get a new character reveal soon so we can determine for sure whether the leak is real or fake. Though, even if the leak is confirmed to be real, the supposed DLC characters are still up in the air...

Also, I keep forgetting to post this... I made an updated version of my Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U trailer compilation video that includes the Robin and Lucina video, for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i47SfBGrNc4

Bvt4nazIAAE7LOX.png

I assume quite a few outfits might be gender-specific as we've got a different female/male cowboy gunner, so ignore the use of a female wii head. (that's just my gunner template head)

Here's every mii gunner outfit I've noticed so far.

Chunky

If the leak's right and Dark Pit made it in, I hope it's because Sakurai wanted to show off more KI:U's weapons. Off the top of my head his special's would be:

Neutral B: Long-range staff attack
Down B: Palm attack from both sides
Side B: Cannon. Tapping it would smash forward with the cannon, but charging it would give you a longer range shot.

You could also do something cool with customisable movesets, by changing the type of weapon he has. For example, his regular staff would the... Dark Pit Staff and one of the customisations would be the Laser Staff. That would do a bit less percent but hit at any distance for the same damage. And his standard palm could be the Violet variant, but when customised would change to the Burning Palm and get shorter range with stronger knockback and put the enemy on fire for a bit.

Oh, before I post my #TeamReal / #TeamFake update tomorrow, does anyone else want to be added to/removed from one of the lists? If you posted a request in the last 15 pages or so, don't worry, I got it - no need to tell me again!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I think Rhythm Heaven was considered a franchise "worthy" of inclusion, just that there's so many characters that it would be difficult to pin down on one. The wrestler and karate guy seemed normally to be the "favored" characters since they actually are fighters.

I personally prefer Rhythm Monkey since they appeared in all games, have different "looks", and even got a Mii Plaza hat!

Glass Rebel

.... Become?

I mean, even more than usual.

I can see where this frustration comes from and I definitely agree about the stages and music. I don't think we've seen any other SSB4 Metroid stages besides Brinstar and Pyrosphere though, have we?

Not sure where I stand on the character side, though. Sure, Metroid has tons of characters that could make for good movesets. Hell, the bounty hunters from Metroid Prime Hunters alone could make for interesting characters. Thematically speaking though, there really aren't that many. No other character comes even close to Ridley and Dark Samus as far as iconic value and importance to the franchise goes. Mother Brain, Kraid are on the same level and maybe Phantoon and Nightmare come close but they're more fitting as bosses rather than playable characters, imo. Dark Samus could have had a great moveset but thematically speaking she's literally a clone of Samus, so I can see why they relegated her to an AT.

We'll see what Sakurai has planned for Ridley. There is definitely something going on with him, whether he's a playable, a boss character or something else entirely. So I'll just reserve judgement.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In this style:

or do you want it against Wii U select screen backdrop?

I can probably put something together later if someone else doesn't want to do it.

or do you want it against Wii U select screen backdrop?

I can probably put something together later if someone else doesn't want to do it.

Against the Wii U backdrop, like this:

zlu53IR.png

... but with all the leak characters + 5 DLC characters. Someone was doing really good mockups in the Wii U CSS style awhile back.

JoeInky

I don't even know what team I'm on anymore.

On the one hand, the leaks have taken too many chances with unique assets when unique assets weren't needed for it to be fake as well as the famitsu thing.

On the other hand, I think there's no way the final roster will be that good given the other newcomers we've had.

NeonZ

His comment was answering a question about bringing back all characters from past games, not just Brawl -> SSB 3ds/WiiU

Before Brawl's release, he also said that about Melee.

He never said that. That's just what some fans want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom