• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Ein Bear

You've actually got it backwards. During the Bungie years, nothing from the books mattered. Like, at all. Now that 343's in charge, we've actually got a chance of seeing Blue Team in game! How freaking cool is that?

It's definitely cool how the books are being made more relevent in the games themselves. But... the new books are so bad, that it kind of ruins the whole thing. Dr Halsey being in Halo 4? Awesome! Karen Traviss' bizzare Hitler-Halsey being in Halo 4? Not so much.

iMax

Needs Morello.

PhZjUBR.png

jem0208

Why can't we have both? Does one side really need to be an open cliff? Why not have one side covered in waterfalls and the other in rocks? Or one side be covered in moss and the other in ruins?

These small issues are the things that make or break maps. Shooting through the plasma pistol wall on Asylum broke the map. Being able to hide behind the carbine ramp on one side only broke the map. These are the things that, at higher level play, piss people off. It's why Solace had to be forged to be usable for 2-sided objectives.

This is a terrible way to judge things. Gameplay should always outweigh prettiness. And personally, I thought the original looked great anyway.

In this case, I'll take the pretty.
gamescom-2014-halo-2-anniversary-first-person-sanctuary-realm-of-kings1.jpg

If it really is a major issue forge in the walls.

It's definitely cool how the books are being made more relevent in the games themselves. But... the new books are so bad, that it kind of ruins the whole thing. Dr Halsey being in Halo 4? Awesome! Karen Traviss' bizzare Hitler-Halsey being in Halo 4? Not so much.

While I do hate Traviss' books with a passion, I feel like 4's Halsey struck a nice balance between Traviss' "Hitler with breasts" and Nylunds "Uber-scientist who can do no wrong." She's done some messed up shit, and it's not out of the question for people to call her out on it, especially since she's too, well, arrogant to try and explain herself. Still, she cares for her Spartans, and she remains hyper competent without being totally invincible. Actually one of my favorite takes on the character.

Anyway, the Forerunner stuff is great, and the old Nylund material is fully canon now as well, so I'd call it worth it :)

jem0208

http://imgur.com/a/IEgKN

Possible Halo 5 leaked images?

Take with a huge grain of salt. Could be completely fake.

(Also, not sure if posted already).

I see 343 are still going with the theme of impossibly floating ships.

They look pretty amazing though.

two different perspectives of one structure, 2 ships in roughly the same spot

hmmmm fake

I dunno, they look how they should from that perspective...

They're pretty far away in the skybox so they shouldn't move too much.

Is that motion tracker standard-def?
Maybe, could be an old build.
No idea, don't know when the image is from. I grabbed it off of Google.

CliQ

I think it's funny that people are being picky about bonus content in a game that lets you play the original anyway.

If you like the original more than go play the original.

BigShow36

I think it's funny that people are being picky about bonus content in a game that lets you play the original anyway.

If you like the original more than go play the original.

I just expect logic and a focus on gameplay when it comes to designing a game. I mean, we're not talking about moving mountains here.

Sanctuary Remake Design Meeting #1
"Lets make it look awesome!"
"What about one side of the map is an open cliff with an amazing vista!"
"That would be cool, but didn't a bunch of players complain about functionally symmetrical maps in the past? And I can see their point from a gameplay perspective. Can we make it look good without sacrificing symmetry?"
"Yes"
"Great, lets move on."

Problem solved. Why is this so hard?

jelly

Ladders in Halo, nope.

Halo CE I know but that was quickly changed.

Going off on a tangent, context sensitive actions like climbing ladders, leaping over stuff, Battlefield 3 etc. Something that should be in Halo or ramps for life ?

jem0208

I just expect logic and a focus on gameplay when it comes to designing a game. I mean, we're not talking about moving mountains here.

Sanctuary Remake Design Meeting #1
"Lets make it look awesome!"
"What about one side of the map is an open cliff with an amazing vista!"
"That would be cool, but didn't a bunch of players complain about functionally symmetrical maps in the past? And I can see their point from a gameplay perspective. Can we make it look good without sacrificing symmetry?"
"Yes"
"Great, lets move on."

Problem solved. Why is this so hard?

Define "a bunch".

I have a feeling it's a rather small number.

Also, adding a cliff is literally moving mountains.

;)

Ladders in Halo, nope.

Going off on a tangent, context sensitive actions like climbing ladders, leaping over stuff, Battlefield 3 etc. Something that should be in Halo or ramps for life ?

I've never liked those sort of things because they remove your weapon.

AlStrong

The single greatest thing about Halo 3 pre-release were those ViDocs. If we got those, along with weekly playtests on Twitch leading up to Halo 5's launch, Halo's multiplayer would be loved before it's even released.

Killer Instinct did it right and what's going on with Unreal Tournament is marketing genius.

That would be pretty cool. They could at least show what sort of things might change from the public beta as well and get on-going feedback/reactions.

http://imgur.com/a/IEgKN

Possible Halo 5 leaked images?

Take with a huge grain of salt. Could be completely fake.

(Also, not sure if posted already).

Can't be real. Those ships look too much like Bungie frigates.

belushy

Banned
Ladders in Halo, nope.

ramps for life.

Fuchsdh

Having a living Halsey brain available would make a type of thereputic repair of cortana make sense and is one of the ideas that I would sort of be behind.

Somehow I missed that part about the composer, Halo 4 happened while I was deployed so I missed out on a lot there, so I am going to blame that. Being able to digitiz/decompile/backup/sequence what is left of cortana using the composer/compiler would make sense, and then just building/grafting/copying to a new core, but at this point isn't Cortana DEAD dead?

Maybe. Maybe not. One option is that Cortana uploaded herself into the Domain; we don't know exactly what state it exists in, however, since Silentium suggests it got wiped as a Precursor/Flood construction when the Halos fired, but there's the Domain Terminals in Halo 4.

EIther way, there's lots of story options from here, with Chief getting a "new" Cortana, or going on a mission to reconstitute her, or just plain dealing with her being dead, and replacing that gameplay role with something/someone else.

ramps for life.

Pretty much. Notch made an interesting observation in developing Minecraft that ladders really are never fun; they're just a faster means of traversal. In terms of strategy and gameplay, ramps win always.

MP embargo ends on 7th November. That's what I heard from multiple streamers. Don't know about SP, but I assume that's all we'll see.

awesome, i guess the 20 gig patch releases prior to that then so streamers dont broadcast glitchy or unfinished maps and modes

Those pics are from Project Contingency. One of the devs said so on the r/halo page.

This is my first time hearing about Project Contingency. Pretty neat idea and the screenshots look good.

I won't get my hopes up though. I've seen so many fan projects get stuck right where they're at now.

Mix

Yup, thought they looked like something out of Contingency. lol, it looks like they're above the first level of Halo: Reach.

AlStrong

I miss the plasma nade effects of halo 1 and 2. Looked better with that more fuzzy glow instead of blue ribbons and sparks

mmhm...

I also much preferred the needler combine effect in CE. It sort of shook the screen and had a very crunchy explosive sound, and the explosion itself had a certain bright core to it. Felt very satisfying!

Halo 2 was just bad with the poofy cloud.

If it really is a major issue forge in the walls.
Yeah, I'll get right to putting that in matchmaking ASAP.

And the reason I used the term "functionally symmetrical" was because many people, here and elsewhere, made it into a joke after 343 used it to describe many of H4's maps. Either make it symmetrical or design a good asymmetrical map. Functionally symmetrical maps are those where one teams base or side of the map has an issue/advantage/whatever that makes the map play asymmetrically. If that's the case, don't bother with the pretense.

Just because you weren't around until recently doesn't mean you can dismiss the months of backlash over miscommunication and lies surrounding H4 and HaloGAFs reactions at the time. Your stupid comment about moving mountains means you didn't actually have a counterpoint.

Akai__

So I imagine the 20gb patch will be out by the end of next week then.

awesome, i guess the 20 gig patch releases prior to that then so streamers dont broadcast glitchy or unfinished maps and modes

My guess, as well. The sooner the better, because I'm really scared of download server issues.

Some streamers also had a "installation stopped" notifcation, while they were playing the MCC. I asked only one person and he said it could be the patch, since he wasn't installing anything. Maybe they are getting the patch, because they are white-listed? I don't know.

Lamesauce.

I'm fine with it. Want to see the remaining cutscenes on my own. :D

Welfare

And the reason I used the term "functionally symmetrical" was because many people, here and elsewhere, made it into a joke after 343 used it to describe many of H4's maps. Either make it symmetrical or design a good asymmetrical map. Functionally symmetrical maps are those where one teams base or side of the map has an issue/advantage/whatever that makes the map play asymmetrically. If that's the case, don't bother with the pretense.

Just because you weren't around until recently doesn't mean you can dismiss the months of backlash over miscommunication and lies surrounding H4 and HaloGAFs reactions at the time. Your stupid comment about moving mountains means you didn't actually have a counterpoint.

They said there was a classic version of each map already. Maybe there is the wall? But then the question would be is, are the classic remastered in H2A MM?

Madness

This is a really important point. Almost every area of Halo 4 was discussed to death already. It's really funny going back to the month before launch, the month after launch, and now and seeing how things played out.

That's really unfair. This place is way too exclusionary and this is a great example of how.

Top Bottom