• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is playing titanfall.

Is the update with the new game modes out? I recently bought this with my Xbox one. Had fun playing this last night after a long hiatus with the PC version. The content and post launch support they added since I last played is truly phenomenal.

I played some of the free time available for the PC version and found it ok. I wasn't pleased with the weapons and feedback, everything felt muted and without a heavy punch. Even the Titan weapons just seemed a bit feeble despite their size.

Armaros

That had very little if anything to do with Titanfall's short shelf-life. No, the feature isn't "huge" on PC, either - the sensibility in including a server browser isn't platform specific, it's game specific, and in Titanfall's case it would have made absolutely no sense to have included such a thing. The only worthwhile filtering option to distinguish between games in progress in Titanfall is latency, which was already the determinant through which Respawn's "Stryder" matchmaking algorithm worked.

There are fps games on PC that have been around for years and years and yet you can still easily find a community to play with.

These games all have server browsers.

Let's see if the PC community for TF exists at all before the end of the generation.

algert

Banned
There are fps games on PC that have been around for years and years and yet you can still easily find a community to play with.

These games all have server browsers.

Let's see if the PC community for TF exists at all before the end of the generation.

Relative to the standards set by comparable titles Titanfall is already a ghost town on all platforms and that's due to the merit of the game itself, which was by Respawn's own admission rushed out the door.

Again, the utility in including a matchmaking service or a server browser is dependent upon the game itself. Left 4 Dead 2 was released five years ago and uses a matchmaking system, yet the game's still populated today and the matchmaking service continues to function as intended. Natural Selection 2 was released just two years ago and uses a server browser, yet that game is as dead as a doornail and that would still be the case even if it had matchmaking. If a game stands the test of time it's because of the gameplay, whether or not it has a server browser for the PC version is irrelevant. It's decidedly stupid to think that a game's staying-power is contingent on having a server browser, it's outright wrong to claim that all examples of such long-lasting PC games have them, and it's a mistake to assume that just because a game is on a console or PC that it's supposed to use matchmaking or have a server browser, respectively.

LoveCake

This is what happens when a game is released with nothing on the disc as the dev/pub wants to throw DLC maps at a game, all it does is split the user-base.

I have not played Titanfall myself but maybe people were a bit disappointed in the game & then when Destiny came out everyone moved over to that?

Atone13

The new hoard mode in Titalfall is pretty awesome.

I agree with this. I actually fired up titanfall today with a couple buddies on PC to check this out and we had a freaking blast. Also related to this, and the previous bit of discussion about bot AI, you can definitely see a marked improvement in the bots gameplay between a normal mode, and the horde mode they just added.

Now, I'm not saying it can only be attributed to the azure servers, nor am I saying that the level of AI will make us worry about the machines taking over, but that said, there is a marked improvement in how the bots perform. While the grunts remain pretty much that, spectres and enemy titans in that mode have much slicker routines they follow. From spectres being able to now rodeo your titans, to enemy titans switching between defense and aggressive play styles, it can really keep you on your toes.

It is but fuck Mortar Titans

Definitely this lol. They need to be dealt with quickly or they can really unleash hell.

Rembrandt

Banned
Is the floor is lava game mode out yet? I was on last night and didn't see it, but I wasn't sober, so I probably missed it.

dLMN8R

I agree with this. I actually fired up titanfall today with a couple buddies on PC to check this out and we had a freaking blast. Also related to this, and the previous bit of discussion about bot AI, you can definitely see a marked improvement in the bots gameplay between a normal mode, and the horde mode they just added.

Now, I'm not saying it can only be attributed to the azure servers, nor am I saying that the level of AI will make us worry about the machines taking over, but that said, there is a marked improvement in how the bots perform. While the grunts remain pretty much that, spectres and enemy titans in that mode have much slicker routines they follow. From spectres being able to now rodeo your titans, to enemy titans switching between defense and aggressive play styles, it can really keep you on your toes.

People have freaked out over "dumb AI" for way too long.

Yeah, grunts are dumb. Because they're supposed to be! Specters always show a little bit of intelligence - they hop around, do a little better.

But Titans have AI too. When you set a titan to follow or defend, did everyone forget that some AI has to power those too? They're pretty smart. Sure they won't put up a huge challenge, but it's still not easy to get a titan to navigate a map correctly, use all the available powers in sensible ways, etc.

Does it need Azure? Of course not. AI routines like that can run on any dedicated server. It's just that Azure can scale easily and it's much cheaper (if not free) for developers to use compared to the static dedicated servers found in games like Battlefield.

Rembrandt

Banned
finally played frontier defense and my god, it should have shipped with it. it's perfect and very fun. i've just been playing with randoms, but we've been doing pretty well so far. great addition to a great game.

Tegernako

Banned
Relative to the standards set by comparable titles Titanfall is already a ghost town on all platforms and that's due to the merit of the game itself, which was by Respawn's own admission rushed out the door.
A game developed by 56 people (Is the standard dev team 200+?) by a new company with no established IP, while being sued by Activision, and running out of money half way through development is rushed?

They made the AI "dumb" on purpose in those modes, so it's no surprise they turned out to be nastier then we expected after killing so many of them lol

Man release a GOTY version on PSN and I'd gladly pay 60 for it. I would love to play all the new stuff.

Not going to happen, ever. So why post that?

It was limited time only, and everybody hated it.

Hate doesn't begin to describe it. In general, the only people who liked that mode were people who were incapable of doing anything more then ADS while cruising down a sidewalk.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
If the numbers are this horrendous on XB1 I wonder if it is even worth booting up on PC?

Played it for a few weeks at launch and never touched it again.

Here is to hoping Titanfall 2 is the sequel it has the potential to be.

Wow, bought the season pass because of the sale and the WW player counts for attrition on the first two packs are in the teens. Brutal. Let's hope the sale this week gives a boost to the player pool.

Top Bottom