• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Rip

Patch 2 broke 3440x1440 resolution for me. Before Patch 2 this res worked fine. Now it just won't apply and remains at 2560x1080 (despite the UI saying differently.) Odd thing to break with a patch.

Game runs fine at 3440x1440 for me.

burgerdog

Is the game freezing for anybody else? I can still move the camera but Arno and npcs freeze in place. It's happened three times today :/

Qassim

Finally given it a proper go (unlocked midnight here in the UK).

I'm having a remarkably smooth experience. Not just reasonable framerates, but consistent frametimes too. I was expecting a bad experience but I'm getting the opposite, it's actually pretty good. (Patch 1.2)

i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
GTX 780 x2 SLI
16GB RAM
GSync

Settings:
1920x1080
Ambien Occlusion: HBAO+
Antialiasing: 2x MSAA
Environment Quality: Ultra High
Shadow Quality: PCSS
Texture Quality: High

My average framerate is somewhere in between 55-70fps, and because of GSync, it's all smooth. But from other people's experiences, I expected much less consistent frametimes, but I'm playing in the Paris, running around the dense crowds, trying to fit as much on screen as possible and it is holding up remarkably well.

It's smoother than Black Flag for me and Unity is doing quite a bit more. I'm actually quite impressed. Surely I'm not the only one having a reasonably good experience?

Yeah, it's not perfect, lots of glitches, the NPC and building detail pop-in is weird, but is just inherent to the design of the game. I haven't had any game crashes though, and I'm running uPlay in offline mode, I haven't actually tried it with uPlay in online mode yet so I don't know if this is making any difference.

ELCID777

Neo Member
I'm hearing that the advanced graphics now show "NVIDIA" options with the new patch, can anyone confirm this? I'm still at work.

thabiz

Finally given it a proper go (unlocked midnight here in the UK).

I'm having a remarkably smooth experience. Not just reasonable framerates, but consistent frametimes too. I was expecting a bad experience but I'm getting the opposite, it's actually pretty good. (Patch 1.2)

i7 4770K @ 4.5Ghz
GTX 780 x2 SLI
16GB RAM
GSync

Settings:
1920x1080
Ambien Occlusion: HBAO+
Antialiasing: 2x MSAA
Environment Quality: Ultra High
Shadow Quality: PCSS
Texture Quality: High

My average framerate is somewhere in between 55-70fps, and because of GSync, it's all smooth. But from other people's experiences, I expected much less consistent frametimes, but I'm playing in the Paris, running around the dense crowds, trying to fit as much on screen as possible and it is holding up remarkably well.

It's smoother than Black Flag for me and Unity is doing quite a bit more. I'm actually quite impressed. Surely I'm not the only one having a reasonably good experience?

Yeah, it's not perfect, lots of glitches, the NPC and building detail pop-in is weird, but is just inherent to the design of the game. I haven't had any game crashes though, and I'm running uPlay in offline mode, I haven't actually tried it with uPlay in online mode yet so I don't know if this is making any difference.

same rig, except 2600K @ 4.5. smooth as butter. in fact i dont think ive come across any crazy glitches. some shadow pop, but thats par the course for AC.

after everyone freaked out, i played the game. i thought i got a different build or something.

chip123

Haven't had any problems on my system.

i5-4670k at 4.0GHz
Radeon HD7950 3GB at stock
8GB ram

All settings on max, AA set to FXAA, FPS stays around 50 with no stuttering. Haven't had any crashes or glitches either.

Bebpo

Banned
Wasn't there supposed to be an effect to make the rain look good? The visuals are quite nice, but the rain is pretty disappointing compared to rain in other games. Like I want to see wet cobblestone flooring and drops in puddles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol at the frenchy politicians getting pissed off by Assassin's Creed Unity. This is very serious.PLEASE READ IT:

https://translate.google.com/transl...unity_4523542_4408996.html&edit-text=&act=url

https://translate.google.com/transl...ution_4523940_4408996.html&edit-text=&act=url

https://translate.google.com/transl...roite-selon-melenchon_1621922.html&edit-text=

https://translate.google.com/transl...reed-et-les-jeux-video.php&edit-text=&act=url

They must be surely among the secret community of the templars of nowadays

Please someone make a thread about it.

Wow. French to English Google translate is surprisingly readable.

Aurarian

Anyone with an R9 290 chimed in? My experience is 30-50 fps, sometimes 60 in certain places. It's paired with a i5 4690k. I've been locking it down to 30 fps before this patch. I also updated to the beta 14.11 drivers from AMD's site.

Dario ff

Banned
I got a performance change after the patch alright. From 30-45 FPS to 10 FPS, even on the menu screen. What the hell did they do... I changed absolutely nothing on the system since the last time I booted it.

The weirdest part is that it does show up as 100% GPU usage.

EDIT: Seems back to normal after a system reboot. I have no idea what this was about.

Bricky

Try to verify files. It worked for me when game was crashing.

Can confirm this method might work for people with crashes. It's been 1.5 hours and I've not experienced any since I did the verification.

E: Aaaaaand a crash. Oh well, at least it makes them less frequent it seems.

Also something very interesting I discovered, and I do not know if this is already common knowledge, but the PC version of Unity has native DS4 support! While pressing the L2 button I noticed the short appearance of the PS4 button layout in the upperright corner, so I turned off DS4Windows and voila; it all works perfectly. Nice to see this being implemented.

jackharm

Neo Member
So the patch has been released? If so now I am noticing some flickering from a dark filter to a lighter shade (like a sliver) on the bottom of the screen when running sometimes while playing, and with cut scenes there are some shimmering.

My performance has been surprisingly good even in Paris. I did lower AA from 4x MSAA to FXAA but my framerate hovers around 75-80 with dips into the 60s.

Edit:

And then it crashed in a spectacular fashion, actually somehow lowering my desktop resolution in the process. Ha ha.

Corpekata

Banned
Uh, has the LOD/ Environment detail been fucked by the patch? Seeing WAY more of the half rendered building even at max now. Also just started seeing people right next to me with their textures not loaded in.

When you launch the game, at least on Uplay.
it's so annoying. You have to start the game for it to trigger the update... They advertised uplay to act as steam does - downloading in background. It would be nice if it would download when uplay is running, but no way. ARGH

d00d3n

Gsync seems to make pc gaming so much easier and more fun. Eizo must release a VA monitor supporting gsync ASAP.

Does anyone experience a complete freeze/hang for a couple of seconds in game?
I'm roaming around the first town/village, just checking the game out, when every couple of minutes everything freezes only to continue a couple of seconds later.
WTF? Is that the draw call issue? Does the CPU literally stops at that point or what? Dammit Ubi. :/

Galava

This is what I experienced with i5-2320, GTX 650 1GB, 6GB RAM. Running latest version, 1.2

Quality: Low
Resolution: 1280x720
Fps when looking straight: 15 (sometimes 18-20)
Fps when looking a bit to the ground: 27

Resolution: 1920x1080
Fps when looking straight: 14 (sometimes 18-20)
Fps when looking a bit to the ground: 25

Quality: High (AA off)
Fps when looking a bit to the ground: 26

The game is completely unplayable, but the problem doesn't seem to be my rig or just demanding game, changing settings didn't affect the framerate (except AA, that hit hard). The framerate problem appears when looking into the distance (the street with people).

This isn't people's rigs being not powerful enough, as you can see my config is pretty crappy and I can achieve this fps. There must be some kind of memory leak or I don't know(i'm not into technical stuff) that NEEDS FIXING ASAP.

banjoted

Patch doesn't seem to have dented performance for me, although I dunno - maybe the framerate is dropping below 60fps a bit more. Hard to tell. Not using a counter as then I'll start obsessing.

Shadownet

Banned
I'm roaming around the first town/village, just checking the game out, when every couple of minutes everything freezes only to continue a couple of seconds later.
Yeah it's happening to me too. I would get around 33-49 fps then it just drop to 5 fps and bounce back up again.

Kezen

Banned
That first time portal, with the statue of liberty when the wind kicks in, FPS bombs to low 20's.

This is using a GTX 980 overclocked 8Ghz memory and 4984 core clock with a 3970x at 4.6Ghz with ultra high settings at 1080p and X4 MSAA.

I am having to run this at capped 30fps because the fps drops are unbearable.

Bad port yet again then.

I don't see anything wrong here, 4xMSAA being what it is.

This is what I experienced with i5-2320, GTX 650 1GB, 6GB RAM. Running latest version, 1.2

Resolution: 1280x720
Fps when looking straight: 15 (sometimes 18-20)
Fps when looking a bit to the ground: 27

Fps when looking a bit to the ground: 25

Quality: High (AA off)
Fps when looking a bit to the ground: 26

The game is completely unplayable, but the problem doesn't seem to be my rig or just demanding game, changing settings didn't affect the framerate (except AA, that hit hard). The framerate problem appears when looking into the distance (the street with people).

This isn't people's rigs being not powerful enough, as you can see my config is pretty crappy and I can achieve this fps. There must be some kind of memory leak or I don't know(i'm not into technical stuff) that NEEDS FIXING ASAP.
CPU limitation.

Ok, in game vsync and AA i definitely broken as fuck. :/
Enabling them via NVIDIA Inspector WORKS and GREATLY improves the framerate. Do it!

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Assass..._with_in-game_Anti-aliasing_and_Vsync_enabled

http://pcgamingwiki.com/images/0/04/Assassins_Creed_Unity-performance-guide-AA-Vsync-v0.2.jpg

Just tested it myself again.
With "NVIDIA recommned" settigns (HBAO+, TXAA, PCSS, ...) I get 30-40 fps with dips below 20.

Using the above recommendations (I added 16x AF on top of it) I get somewhat stable 60fps (stable in the 55-60 range) which is OK considering the game's state.

God dammit Ubi.

Evo X

Already done that bud, still getting dips into the low 50's especially in cutscenes and outdoors, just going to try adaptive now see if that makes any difference.

Cut scenes are extremely intensive, even for a 980. Dipping to 50fps is normal. Use FXAA, and turn down shadows from PCSS to High and you should be getting great performance. I'm playing with a 980 smoothly at 2560x1440, so I don't see why you would have problems at 1080P.

-Deimos

Ok, in game vsync and AA i definitely broken as fuck. :/
Enabling them via NVIDIA Inspector WORKS and GREATLY improves the framerate. Do it!

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Assass..._with_in-game_Anti-aliasing_and_Vsync_enabled

http://pcgamingwiki.com/images/0/04/Assassins_Creed_Unity-performance-guide-AA-Vsync-v0.2.jpg

Just tested it myself again.
With "NVIDIA recommned" settigns (HBAO+, TXAA, PCSS, ...) I get 30-40 fps with dips below 20.

Using the above recommendations (I added 16x AF on top of it) I get somewhat stable 60fps (stable in the 55-60 range) which is OK considering the game's state.

God dammit Ubi.

Forcing FXAA didn't have any change in performance for me, at least before the latest patch. Are the gains from the new patch only?

Kabouter

WTF? Is that the draw call issue? Does the CPU literally stops at that point or what? Dammit Ubi. :/

I had this for the first time today, first glitch I've run into (maybe 7 hours played or so), game froze for like 2-3 seconds before it resumed without issue. Not a big deal since it's thankfully not so common for me as it is for you, but annoying nonetheless.

Evo X

What settings are you using and what is the lowest you have seen your fps dip? I was just on a cutscene and witnessed it dip to 42 fps at 1080p using fxaa, I haven't tried putting shadows on high yet but will that really give a good bump in fps?

Everything max except for FXAA and High shadows. Lowering shadows gave me like a 10fps bump. On the rooftops, I'm usually around 60fps, streets around 45-50fps, and cut scenes average around 35-40, but I've seen them dip as low as 30.

But through the magic of GSync, I don't really notice it unless I'm staring at the Fraps counter.

Nabbis

Played the game for about 3 hours straight, performance is surprisingly smooth. The only time fps dips below 30 is from some of the cutscenes and that one church before you join the assasins. I expected it to be far worse based on the streams. i7 4770 Stock, 780GTX DC II 3Gb stock, 8Gb ram and an SSD.

Now if only they could fix the damn popups and shitty collision detection, those are horrible.

Edit: The settings were 1080p, maxed out with Nvidia goodies. Used FXAA. Might benchmark it with a 4.5 Ghz overclock if im not lazy.

Evo X

Yup pretty much same for me at your res but a little bit quicker (maybe due to my overclock?), just tried it on high shadows gave me a nice fps bump for sure, same cutscene now 7fps faster than before.

1080p only gives me maybe 5fps more tbh so might as well play at the higher res.

Good to hear. Yeah, downsampling looks great in this game. Wish I could play at 4K. The IQ is fucking great but my fps goes down to 20. lol

Changing the in game graphics settings does seem to mess up framerate. For example, I can be getting 60fps solid and then try a couple different AA settings and the framerate will go down as usual, but then reverting back to the original setting and the framerate maybe goes back up 4-5fps. Restarting the game gets me back to solid 60fps.

SlickVic

I don't know why do we keep expecting anything from ubisoft on pc. I haven't seen a single good port from them on pc(aside from rayman origins and all games with that engine). from what i have seen,all games from the ps3 era(i did not play on pc before) are utterly awful. can anyone tell me otherwise?

Meh, I always hear that, but I played through AC Revelations, III, Black Flag, and Far Cry 3 this year on PC and can't say I ran into any significant technical or performance issues with any of those games. Unity is first one I'm playing this year that I'm running into significant bugs and performance problems, though admittedly, it's also the most demanding game of that bunch.

Never dabbled much with Watch Dogs so can't comment on that one, but can't really say I've have many issues with Ubisoft games on PC in the past (outside of Uplay being lame).

I get this.

I initially assumed it was a VRAM thing, but changing everything down to low did nothing to alleviate the issue. I'm hoping it gets fixed with either driver updates or game patches.

ELCID777

Neo Member
Welp, the new patch seems to have borked performance. I was getting a solid 30fps before and now I get constant dips, even though I haven't changed anything.

On the flip side, the patch improved GPU usage up to 99%, but it's doing weird shit with crossfire. I get 99% on one card but only 50 - 60% on the second. I was getting 70% average on both before the patch.

What a launch this has been. And still no mention of fixing the crappy LOD's in future updates either....smh.

Deepo

The game plays beautifully for a while, hovering close to 60FPS at all times, but then it suddenly starts to stutter about every 2-3 seconds. It almost seems like the game engine loop resets itself to keep up. This can be seen by clothes and hair on NPCs "jumping" a bit, like the physics engine has just been started. The only solution seems to be to restart the game. This can also start to happen when doing fast travel, or starting a coop mission. It seems related to when the engine loads in a lot of assets. Here are my specs:

ASUS X99-S
Intel 5820K 6-core
Nvidia GTX 690 2GB VRAM (running in SLI mode) Driver 344.65
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Windows 7 (fully updated)

Game settings (the issue occurs regardless, but I'll include them anyway):
Environment quality: Ultra High
Texture quality: High
Shadow quality: PCSS
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+
Bloom: On

Any other SLI users seeing anything similar?

Seems I may have fixed my stuttering problem by locking the frame rate to 59 in Nvidia Inspector. What I failed to mention in my previous post was that it was stuttering even when standing perfectly still and watching civilians passing by. Didn't seem like a VRAM issue. I'm playing at 900p, so 2GB seems to be enough, as long as the engine behaves itself.

sgs2008

I keep getting a failed to start download when trying to patch the game is anybody having this problem or is there a manual patch method ?

memi75

Neo Member
After a clean driver install, i can't manage to download new sli profile through geforce experience anymore....nvidia inspector gives me always the profile included in the driver release (the one with unity plus others Assassins Creeds). Is there another way to download only the sli profile a part from checking with experience? And why doesnt't it show up anymore?? Yesterday it did!! Help.

Running a i5 2500k @ 4.5, 970. The prologue seemed to run at 53-60 but as soon as I hit Paris, my frame rate tanked and I was seeing it as low as 38. Decided to limit it to 30 rather than have a wildly fluctuating experience, and with that I had the added bonus of being able to top out all the settings and still have a smooth experience. 60 seemed great, but I think my CPU is going to hold me back unless they find some trick to get slightly older CPUs to play nice.

I thought I actually found a good mix of settings, selected ultra preset, bumped detail down to high, selected txaa, shadows to high, and running at 720 (lol). Was actually running in a playable state for a good 45 minutes to an hour, then in the middle of a mission everything went to hell. As others have mentioned, there definitely seems to be some memory leaks going on here. Running 3570k @ 3.4 7850 8gb. Wasn't expecting amazing results with this rig obviously, but I was hoping for something more playable past an hour of gameplay. Really hope they patch the AMD issues soon, I'd like to play it, gorgeous game even at a low res, sense of scale is unlike anything I've seen in an open world title. Loving the new animations and combat system too (except for those damn snipers). I wanna play it ubi fix yer shit!

Spacejaws

After the last patch The cutscenes are a little more stable and due to my laptop I'm aiming for 20 - 25fps but I've noticed this freezing issue aswell. I'm experiencing it like once every 30mins just a complete freeze for a few seconds and not even when there's anything intensive going on.

Not ruling out my rig though, this is the first game to make me think its a piece of junk :(

Edit: Great, first "ACU.exe has stopped responding" crash. Was playing co-op and funnily enough co-op is where I saw the last two freezes...

Top Bottom