• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny: The Dark Below – PlayStation exclusive content detailed

bombshell

The Dark Below is coming. It’s the first Destiny expansion and it launches on 9th December. What better way to celebrate the holidays than to clash with a seething evil of ancient origin? If you’ve been defending the Traveler’s Light since launch, The Dark Below expands the world of Destiny with an ample supply of new content. And guess what? PlayStation gamers have a couple of incredible exclusives to look forward to.

A Strike:

15742443008_8081b17c01_b.jpg

An Exotic weapon:

15927925681_ce12e8c1cb_b.jpg

The non-exclusive stuff:

Now steel yourself; here’s just a taste of the other content coming with the expansion.

• New story missions that pit you against a Hive god.
  • New weapons, armor, and gear to further customize your Guardian.
  • The ability to increase your Light level to 32, and five additional bounty slots.
  • Three new competitive multiplayer maps: Pantheon, Skyshock, and The Cauldron.
  • New cooperative Strike: The Will of Crota. Purge a twisted horror from the Cosmodrome.
  • An additional resident of the Tower: Eris, a resolute survivor of an ill-fated mission.
  • And a new six-player Raid: Crota’s End. Face him in the deepest dark.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/12/02/destiny-dark-playstation-exclusive-content-detailed/

tbm24

For as much as I love Destiny and will dive in deep into The Dark Below, I'll never understand why they thought it'd be cool to make a strike exclusive.

Lone Wolf

Do the original exclusives from the launch of the game come to Xbox now? Or do we have to wait until late next year like this content?

3 months and they still can't model a new strike boss? Cheap and lazy.

Crota will definitely just be a knight up sized.

Honestly, the exclusive content wouldn't hurt so much if the base game had more content. There are so few strikes and so few unique looking weapons (the majority are reskins with slight model changes), not having access to these (in addition to the current exclusive strike/exotic) for a year really sucks.

Having said that, LOL at the boss being a reskinned Hydra. Amazing, really.

D6AMIA6N

I'm pretty sure I'm over Destiny as a casual player. I can't imagine hardcore people being turned back on by this meager offering.

Honestly, the exclusive content wouldn't hurt so much if the base game had more content. There are so few strikes and so few unique looking weapons (the majority are reskins with slight model changes), not having access to these (in addition to the current exclusive strike/exotic) for a year really sucks.

Having said that, LOL at the boss being a reskinned Hydra. Amazing, really.
Yea after playing through all the content available on the ps4, and having it feel very barebones and lacking with depth. I couldn't imagine having to play on the X1 with the missing missions and gear. Shit sucks

tbm24

So the strike has the same final boss as an existing strike?

Well, it's also the same model as the templar and those two fights aren't similar at all. Lets hope they put effort into this encounter mechanic wise. It'd be in their best interest to do so.

3 months and they still can't model a new strike boss? Cheap and lazy.

Crota will definitely just be a knight up sized.

Oh definitely. All destiny bosses are just upscaled normal enemies, was so refreshing to start playing Diablo 3 again and every boss is visually unique.

So the shotgun is full auto and has a faster rate of fire than any other shotgun. Also it's 5 shot instead of 4 like Invective. Wonder how Invective will hold up. And that strike boss...jeezus.

With that said I'm excited for the weekend so I can play it post patch. Apparently some good changes.

glaurung

Laziest new boss design confirmed lol.

If the PS4 (Sony?) stuff is exclusive until late 2014, will anyone care about them by then?

Still a wait on there. The release is a nebulous "Fall 2015."

No its an even more nebulous "at least Fall 2015." Could be be next Fall, could be later.

As for the boss, *sigh*. Even the description of the encounter sounds like the Nexus mind strike on Venus. I'd say its as bad as Blizzard with recolors, but Blizzard games have way more content to begin with.

At least the shotgun looks awesome, though the special talents are just exisiting talents that other guns can roll...

Killzig

So the strike has the same final boss as an existing strike?

And the bosses are all bigger versions of common enemies. Yay Destiny.

Edit: someone else already mentioned this.

I enjoyed my time with Destiny, but nothing I'm seeing from this expansion has me wanting to come back. It all feels way too familiar at this point.

If the PS4 (Sony?) stuff is exclusive until late 2014, will anyone care about them by then?

2015. And for me, it depends. Will it cost money for Xbox players that already own the DLC? If so, I definitely won't be buying this different colored exclusive content I already paid for.

$20 for that pathetic content which is mainly all reusing the launch game's assets. Destiny was fun while it lasted, but no more money out of me if this is how it is.

As long as the mechanics of the fight are interesting who cares if it's another version of a previous boss? The templar and the nexus strike boss are both the same type of enemy in extremely different fights.

Shotgun looks neat but I can't see myself ever using a secondary other than my Plan C.

Every single Destiny discussion is full of so much negativity I don't know why I bother reading them anymore.

mclem

Meet the new boss.
Same as the old boss.

Won't get fooled again.

(Okay, the mechanics are likely to be different, to be fair, but I couldn't resist!)

Meet the new boss.
Same as the old boss.

Won't get fooled again.

(Okay, the mechanics are likely to be different, to be fair, but I couldn't resist!)

the mechanics are probably still going to be "move around to get a shot in through it's shields until it dies"

to be fair, i'm okay with them just reusing a boss for a new strike if it's going to be exclusive. better than them actually keeping something unique and cool strictly to one platform.

As long as the mechanics of the fight are interesting who cares if it's another version of a previous boss? The templar and the nexus strike boss are both the same type of enemy in extremely different fights.

Shotgun looks neat but I can't see myself ever using a secondary other than my Plan C.

Every single Destiny discussion is full of so much negativity I don't know why I bother reading them anymore.

We *I'm trying to swear less* paid for new content. We're getting "the Nexus...recolored!"

Top Bottom