• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Ubisoft's The Crew having major connection issues, can lose 1+hr progress

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They're actually fairly positive on the game overall, but it seems there are notable technical issues.

Eurogamer said:
So many games fail to live up to their promise, but The Crew may be one of the first to struggle to live up to its own name. Ubisoft's newly released driving game takes its title from the ability to form squads of friends to drive around the vast, open-world digest of America that developer Ivory Tower has created. It's a feature introduced in a day one patch, and - some 24 hours after the game's launch - it's one that remains temperamental at best.

The Crew is sold on the promise of epic, cross-country drives, races that take you from the bounding dunes that skirt the Great Lakes to the swamps of the south, from the evergreens of New Jersey to the dustbowls of California - marathon events that, when the server inevitably drops, can see an hour's progress wiped in one cruel disconnection.

This hybrid of MMO, RPG and pure, unabashed driving has problems, and they go beyond the teething troubles now sadly predictable at the launch of an always-online game. They're there from the very opening, an hour of cutscenes and tutorials that fail to introduce convincingly the mesh of progression, events and social interaction spread out across the map.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-03-the-crew-is-broken-but-packed-with-potential

andreyblade

Neo Member
ShamelessPhysicalArctichare.gif

shocking no one

So will Ubisoft games start getting trailers were it shows a big online world and then zooms back in to show that you are actually all alone?

teiresias

Does the industry want to intentionally destroy itself by systematically destroying confidence in its ability to make fundamental game modes simply just FUNCTION upon release?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Where's the "Ubisoft just keeps digging deeper" gif when you need it?!

Amir0x

Banned
GAF is just picking on Ubisoft stop being so mean guyz

Seriously though, are these developers that incapable of making sure their games work on launch day online? If so, they need to really reevaluate how they test for stress and other network issues.

Floex

The media need to pick up on this, completely unacceptable practises with broken software being portrayed as the finished article.

Eurogamer said:
So many games fail to live up to their promise, but The Crew may be one of the first to struggle to live up to its own name.
Yeah I totally can't think of any other driving game this year that you could say the same about.

The media need to pick up on this, completely unacceptable practises with broken software being portrayed as the finished article.

I'm not sure they really need to. The hate is so loud that Ubisoft is getting more than enough damage, and it's not going away anytime soon.

Servbot24

Banned
because OH LOOK VICTORIAN ENGLAND

OH LOOK OPEN WORLD DRIVING

Pretty much. To each their own, but it's startling how willing people are to be pandered to in the most shallow of ways. Concept is nice, but without follow-through it should not be supported, and Ubisoft rarely follows through.

Einbroch

Banned
If this is what I think it is, um, yeah, this stuff can happen.

If you go through a raid in WoW (equivalent of these marathon races in The Crew) and the servers crash, you're kinda fucked. Trash will respawn and so on.

It's probably under heavy load. Servers crashing is pretty normal, unfortunately. Just don't do these marathon events until the servers cool down a bit.

OSHAN

Can this be played offline like Driveclub? I had interest, but I forgot all about this game, and then it just shows up on the shelf.

Percy

Banned
2014... the year everyone forgot how to properly make a racing game.

its been a truly abysmal year for these connected games

Destiny at least has been really good on this score. It's been my most played game released this year probably and issues with connectivity have been surprisingly minimal.

But yeah, every other online game this year seemed to suck bad once they got out in the wild.

Montresor

Ubisoft went from:

Assassin's Creed Black Flag (incredible AC game in my opinion, with some flaws, but the Carribean setting, the next-gen graphics, the pirate characters, and sailing with the Jackdaw all made for a fantastic experience)

Child of Light: slight negative for playing like a JRPG (putrid genre), but this was a beautiful game

Rayman Legends (one of the top 2d platformers)

Valiant Hearts (very enjoyable side-scrolling point-and-click-style adventure game)

Trials Fusion (nowhere near as good as the Trials Evolution, but still mildly enjoyable)

Watch Dogs (fantastic open-world game with actual unique puzzle mechanics - using your smart phone as a puzzle mechanic throughout the game was very satisfying)

That's 3 top tier games (Black Flag and Rayman Legends and Watch Dogs), two really good mid-tier games (Child of Light and Valiant Hearts), and one mediocre game (Trials Fusion).

And Ubisoft followed that up with:

AC Unity: English accents during the French revolution, barf. Forced companion app integration in order to open blue chests, barf - the companion app is not fun and requires hours of grinding. Forced AC Initiates web site integration in order to open other chests, barf - the AC Initiates web site is widely reported to not even work. Glitches up the ass at launch. New stealth controls don't work properly - people report issues accidentally sidling up against walls. Previous stealth controls removed - whistling to attract guards is no longer in. Performance issues - the 1000s of NPCs cause mediocre frame rate and pop-in issues. Also, a patch downgraded the graphics slightly. And the notoriously bad melee combat in the game has been made worse and more frustrating. First ever AC game to have microtransactions in the single player campaign.

Far Cry 4: Decent game by all accounts.

AC Rogue: By all accounts a decent game - essentially Black Flag 2.

The Crew: Open world online-only racing game with glitches up the ass, and surprise surprise, server problems cause lost progress. Also - there are microtransactions.

Ubisoft has fallen quite mightily... In my eyes they were kings last year.

Amir0x

Banned
Ubisoft went from:

Assassin's Creed Black Flag (incredible AC game in my opinion, with some flaws, but the Carribean setting, the next-gen graphics, the pirate characters, and sailing with the Jackdaw all made for a fantastic experience)

Child of Light: slight negative for playing like a JRPG (putrid genre), but this was a beautiful game

Rayman Legends (one of the top 2d platformers)

Valiant Hearts (very enjoyable side-scrolling point-and-click-style adventure game)

Trials Fusion (nowhere near as good as the Trials Evolution, but still mildly enjoyable)

Watch Dogs (fantastic open-world game with actual unique puzzle mechanics - using your smart phone as a puzzle mechanic throughout the game was very satisfying)

That's 3 top tier games (Black Flag and Rayman Legends and Watch Dogs), two really good mid-tier games (Child of Light and Valiant Hearts), and one mediocre game (Trials Fusion).

And Ubisoft followed that up with:

AC Unity: English accents during the French revolution, barf. Forced companion app integration in order to open blue chests, barf - the companion app is not fun and requires hours of grinding. Forced AC Initiates web site integration in order to open other chests, barf - the AC Initiates web site is widely reported to not even work. Glitches up the ass at launch. New stealth controls don't work properly - people report issues accidentally sidling up against walls. Previous stealth controls removed - whistling to attract guards is no longer in. Performance issues - the 1000s of NPCs cause mediocre frame rate and pop-in issues. Also, a patch downgraded the graphics slightly. And the notoriously bad melee combat in the game has been made worse and more frustrating.

Far Cry 4: Decent game by all accounts.

AC Rogue: By all accounts a decent game - essentially Black Flag 2.

The Crew: Open world oinline-only racing game with glitches up the ass, and surprise surprise, server problems cause lost progress.

Ubisoft has fallen quite mightily... In my eyes they were kings last-gen.

i would object to putting that Watch Dog failure on the list!

And also would add about eighty other bullshit things Ubisoft did this past year and a half.

"Wanna turn $60 customers into $300 customers with microtransactions" FTL

Hugstable

Banned
Connected Driving games just don't seem to be working out for anyone. Is it's Single Player even decent? At least Driveclub had a fun game underneath it so I didn't need to worry about the online not working for like the 3 weeks when it launched.

Time to go back to making great single player racing games and just leave MP up to normal races. We don't need all this connected stuff, we just wanna race fast and drive hard.

Top Bottom