• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Ubisoft's The Crew having major connection issues, can lose 1+hr progress

I really hope this leads to a patch enabling an offline mode. I really want to play this and have no interest in the online side of things.

Just patch in an offline mode please. Already sick of games that 'need' to constantly be online.
If they did this I would be much more likely to buy this game (even though I have reservations about other aspects of it).

Hell if EA/Maxis can do a 180 after all their talk about server side calculations in SimCity, surely Ubisoft can patch in an offline mode with an offline save.

SerTapTap

It's kind of amazing that Destiny is the only game thus far to pull off "always online" properly.

I still got disconnected a few times in that, deleted the game after losing about 20 minutes of a story mission. Will never buy another always online game again no matter how people tell me it's doing it "properly". Only stuff like Driveclub with offline fallbacks.

moozoom

I can't wait for all games to be dematerialized and only playable via distant connexion, such a bright future awaits.

Donos

"AAA" games with huge budget and monster marketing get away with stuff like this but a game like the Crew who is already flying under the radar for most people, this could be further dimish the already weak sales.

Pjsprojects

If they did this I would be much more likely to buy this game (even though I have reservations about other aspects of it).

Hell if EA/Maxis can do a 180 after all their talk about server side calculations in SimCity, surely Ubisoft can patch in an offline mode with an offline save.

Exactly, all games should have an offline mode because the servers/internet are simply not reliable enough.
I'm interested in buying the game but my game time is very limited so I can't be doing with loosing story progress due to server problems.

saladine1

Just patch in an offline mode please. Already sick of games that 'need' to constantly be online.

Fucking this!

I've lost connection so many times resulting in a lot of wasted fucking time. It's becoming unbearable to say the least.
Ubisoft better patch in an offline mode very soon because i'm a lost connection or two away from pissing this game off...

BigDug13

They want your microtransaction money. They do not want to allow you an avenue to hack your saves therefore this game will remain online. This game was designed to be a revenue stream.

I don't think Sim City was quite the revenue vehicle that The Crew is trying to be. So it really wasn't so detrimental for EA to patch it out.

CHC

The media need to pick up on this, completely unacceptable practises with broken software being portrayed as the finished article.

Where do you think this article is linked to, the non-media? They are picking up on it, that's why it's published... on a gaming website...

What did they say again in referance to Ass Unity ?

Speaking with Metropolist, The Crew’s lead game designer Serkan Hasan assured gamers that those mistakes are just a thing of the past. He also stated that he has “full confidence” in the game’s stability and performance.

Biker19

Banned
Chû Totoro;141444112 said:
And Microsoft thought we were ready for always online? lol

I agree. Why can't developers go back to making games the way that they used to be without all of this "always online, microtransactions, etc." shit?

Your point seemed totally fine. I think it probably would have been much better taken if you hadn't made an antagonistic, sweeping generalization like that. You knew people would comment on that, right?

I don't think he worded it very well and JRPG is a genre that is what I would consider polarizing. Most people who play JRPG's love them (typically not luke warm or ehhh, but LOVE.) and others would glance at the title most likely have zero interest and find them weird or boring.

cappie88

maybe they don't like offline mode 'cause to unlock stuff you have to use in-game currency, I think it's pretty obvious they want to push the "always online" model in order to make money with microtransactions

Mario Kart 8 remains the best racing game of the year. Why people still buy into Ubisoft's lies is beyond me.

Good marketing can do wonders for mediocre/flawed products. Look at Destiny, Assassin's Creed 1, Jawbone's products, Beats by Dre (with the exception of the great Solo 2), etc.

Seriously, what's going on over at Ubi. Is this ignorance or apathy?

Do they really think the games are ok at the dealine or do they just have a deadline and say 'fuck it, it's gotta ship. We'll fix it later'

Petrae

Really not liking all this online connectivity in games this year.....what is wrong with a great offline game again?

As more games are online, it increases the chances that a consumer caves and pays for an online service subscription.

Then, while online, there are certain microtransactions that consumers might be persuaded to take advantage of to save time, look different, add a much-wanted weapon, etc.

Online games present more money-making opportunities for the industry than offline games do.

mclem

If you go through a raid in WoW (equivalent of these marathon races in The Crew) and the servers crash, you're kinda fucked. Trash will respawn and so on.

Yeah, but WoW raids save per-boss, so you're only going to have to reclear that boss's trash. Twenty minutes, tops, often more like five.

mclem

2014... the year everyone forgot how to properly make a racing game.

Everyone?

IsvuaYd.gif

farisr

Looks like I was right to skip this after finding out it was online only, always connected. Games that have long events, that can be played alone against AI, need to have an offline contingency or a good checkpoint system where you don't lose much progress in case you lose your connection to the server.

Ramenman

The thread title and OP should be less selective I feel, there are other stuff in this article and to be honest I'm more alarmed by the "other" issue that they mention, ie plaguing the game with stupid story driven bullshit, instead of letting you dive into the huge map headfirst... which is what the game was always about.... So wtf ???

They're there from the very opening, an hour of cutscenes and tutorials that fail to introduce convincingly the mesh of progression, events and social interaction spread out across the map.

Instead, you're introduced to your player character - Gordon Freeman as voiced by Troy Baker, it would seem, who's somehow found himself trapped in a mid-noughties Need for Speed game - and the turgid story that underpins The Crew. You're framed for the murder of your brother, and in order to clear your name you've got to go undercover for the FBI and work your way up the ranks of the 5-10, a network of racing criminals headed up by a collection of bland racial stereotypes occupying each of the map's key areas. It's muck, and it only just escapes from being offensive by being so overwhelmingly dumb.

Tech issues can be solved, this can't.... Seriously, why :/

SmokyDave

Once again, Nintendo is everything gamers say they want, but that so few will buy. Games that work at launch, offline play, reasonable MTX/DLC, 60 frames per second, etc etc...
Well, they're everything that vocal forum-goers want, and their presence on forums reflects that.

They evidently aren't providing what the larger gaming audience want. I certainly couldn't get the games I want to play on a Nintendo system, I know that much.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
They previewed the Crew back in March with a race that could last 4 hours.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103941618&postcount=30

Called it!

Yeah, could you imagine the XB1 as it was originally conceped, an always onlineconsole?

Microsoft should thank their lucky stars for all that initial complaining from us "whiny gamers " because the outrage over non-working online games would have been biblical in comparison to situationsee like drive club, unity and the crew.

Xbone dodged a bullet there

Online future. God did gamers dodge a bullet last year or what? Thanks Adam Orth.

Spot on, all of you.

Top Bottom