• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 game that most lived up to the hype

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Kart 8 is the only game to really blow away my expectations this year. Everything else simply met them or fell short.

FLAguy954

For me it has to be Far Cry 4. Holy fucking shit, Far Cry 4 is waaaaaaaaay better than 3. I am seriously enjoying my time with the game.

Second place goes to Wolfenstein: The New Order. This games super exceeded my expectations, wow. I haven't even played a Wolfenstein game in my life and even the 'nightmare level' pushed the game up to GOTY territory for me.

Lernaean

Banned
DKC:TF, MK8, Bayo 2 and SSBU.
I also don't know what your level of hype was for TEW, but mine was low even though i'm a Mikami fan, and the game surpased my hype levels when i played it, so i'm adding it to my list as well.

Zalman

Nintendo games, mostly. Smash Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2 all the best games in their respective franchises. I was super hyped for Smash and Kart especially, but they managed to live up to it. I was pleasantly surprised with Hyrule Warriors too.

Biochet

Inquisition came out of nowhere for me like BAAM.

i wasn't hyped for it but it sure did surprise the fuck out of me.

bayonetta 2, mario kart, pokemon, captain toad

good shit nintendo

weekev

Banned
Name a Nintendo game
Pretty much this. Donkey Kong TF was an amazing start to the year, followed by Mario Kart 8, Bayo 2 is amazing and both Smashes are great then the cherry on the cake appears to be Captain Toad although for us in Europe its (just) a 2015 release.

Nintendo have delivered big time this year. Next year looks even better.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Smash U, probably.

Richgard

Neo Member
Dark Souls 2 I found it awesome but not on par with it's predecessor (PC Version so i was not there for the initial frustration in the community)

Dragon Age: Inquisistion was not hyped till I read some reviews and what can I say it might be my AAA game of the year

Binding of Issac:Rebirth I love this game except the Soundtrack

Far Cry 4: Was not hyped for it ended up liking it more then 3

COD:AW: Multiplayer is a bit like fragil UT in this one( not hyped for COD at all just interested)

Shadows of Mordor: not jet played hear amazing things

Alien: Isolation: I lthink this is the best horror game this year playing on hard is incredibly tense

Bayonetta 2. I had very high expectations and it blew those expectations right out of the water. Absolutely glorious experience, one of the best I've had in the last few years. Ten outta ten, ten outta ten, hundred outta hundred, best game, best game

Also, I think MK8 and DKC: Tropical Freeze deserve mentions. I haven't played Smash Wii U yet so I can't comment on that just yet.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
theatrythm-logo.png

logo.png

And given the early impressions, it appears that Guilty Gear Xrd will too.

a.wd

Sunset Overdrive, Hype said "this is awesome!" was awesome

Titanfall, Hype said "this is super fun and will make you relook at fps!" Did

Shadow of Mordor, Hype said "." Was probably the most engaging gaming experience I have had in ages

BokehKing

Banned
Destiny - mostly because I had my hype in check and didn't have unreal expectations and didn't follow every single story on it, every video or hang on every word the developer said.

Mario Kart 8 - everything I wanted it to be and more

Warlords of Draenor - I'm surprised every time I play it, great return to form, cementing it as my favorite MMO ever created (let's be honest, it was since it's inception)

As far as GAF Hype? Shadows over Mordor

Memory

Mk8, Smash, Age of Wonders 3, Bayonetta 2 & Dragon Age I. I had high hopes for all and they all lived upto the hype.

I have to say Titanfall. Reached Gen 10 on the 360 version and have done so again on the XBO. The gameplay is just so fluid that any other FPS (Other than Wolfenstein) has just felt 'meh'. Tried to play AW but it was just so bland after this that I traded it in within a week.

Mman235

Relative to my hype being sky-high and the game managing to match it, Dark Souls 2.

Relative to me having pretty low expectations and the game managing to surpass them by a lot, Wolfenstein.

Asbear

Banned
Mario Kart 8 and Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright for me.

I haven't played Bayonetta, but unfortunately I have an irrational dislike for combo hack'n'slash gameplay, but I can't say I wasn't ever tempted to play it with all those good reviews.

I don't think Dragon Age: Inquisition lived up to any hype but then again (but it's a great game, do play!), it's Bioware... I have dropped all hype since ME3, quite frankly.

TEJ

Mario Kart 8 and Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright for me.

I haven't played Bayonetta, but unfortunately I have an irrational dislike for combo hack'n'slash gameplay, but I can't say I wasn't ever tempted to play it with all those good reviews.

I don't think Dragon Age: Inquisition lived up to any hype but then again, it's Bioware... I have dropped all hype since ME3, quite frankly.

I'm more of a Ninja Gaiden Black/ God Hand kind of person but i'll be damned if Bayonetta 2 wasn't so damned fun. I really need to replay it soon.

Kriken

Bayo 2, Smash would be up there if the game had both versions content

Edit: forgot about Mordor, that exceeded my expectations

fhqwhgads

Tropical Freeze reached my hype expectations for sure, had high hopes for it since it's announcement and didn't let the Fucking Donkey Kong / Where's Metroid Dread anti-hype derail the hype train.

For me Dark Souls 2 was fun, but the more I played of the game the less I enjoyed it. While some of the early stages had some glimpses of good design, like climbing a ladder and facing 3 enemies while another shot from afar.. the more I progressed through the game the less carefully placed enemy encounters seemed and most of the bosses revolved around the same gimmicks or move sets. You were either fighting a giant boss with a long-reaching weapon or multiple enemies.

The level design is a far cry from the ingenious interwoven worlds of Dark Souls 1 and the PVP is just unfair. The rat and bell covenants are just plainly unfair and as harsh as PVP might have been in Dark Souls 1 or Demon's Souls, never have I felt in any of those games that anything was unfair. I think it's the weakest of all the Souls games. I haven't played the DLC but have read it is significantly better than the main game. I will revisit it when the "complete" edition comes out, but if I had to choose a word to label the original Dark Souls 2 content then "lazy" would be it.

I think Dragon Age lived up to my expectations. Admittedly, they weren't very high, but I find the combination of the new expanded areas with the continuation of the lore very pleasing. To me the story doesn't live up to the quality of the previous two games, but I'd say that the game easily makes up for it in other regards.

Mario Kart 8 exceeded my expectations. Not only is it a great game on its own but one of Nintendo's first foray into "classic" DLC content is one of the highest value ones I've ever seen. While I may not agree with their policies regarding downloadable content, this rare example of affordable content that extends the tracks of the game by 50% for less than a 4th of the game's price is excellent value in my opinion and the first batch of tracks are awesome.

Oh man, where to begin.

It can't just be one game...

Drive Club - sure it had technical issues, but this was the purest resurrection of PGR I've played to date. The handling, the track design, the visuals, it's all pure PGR. It's just so very refreshing to see a game not afraid of trying to be a classic circuit/track racer and not feel forced to try and conform to what might be considered genre norms.

Sunset Overdrive - Incredible game, traversal was right up there with Jet Set Radio, amazingly well designed world, extremely fun and engaging gameplay that never gets boring. So good.

D4 - Swery delivers yet another wonderful treat. Story is superb, voice acting is on point, dialogue is incredible, Kinect controls actually worked. It's the game Telltale's have been trying to make for the past five years and Swery knocks it out of the park on his first attempt.

Wolfenstein - What's not to love? Wonderfully told story, interesting characters, fantastic gameplay, orgasmic gunplay and it didn't need to rely on any gimmicks. It doesn't try to be anything more than it is, a pure first person shooter and that quality shines through in spades.

Velocity 2X - Not much to say other than I love the new platforming sections. Was a little worried it would be too samey, but it not only managed to feel fresh, it exceeded every single one of my expectations.

Shadows of Mordor - The nemesis system .Does any more need to be said? Not only did it deliver, it damn well set a new standard for open world games. It's going to be hard playing a similar open world game and it not featuring this amazing and dare I say, revolutionary game system.

Alien Isolation - it's rare to come across a game where the hype is actually matched by the end product, but this game right here manages to do exactly that. It's by the far the best representation of an Alien in game since AvP2 almost 15 years ago. The atmosphere, the sound, the gameplay, it's dripping in fear.

Bayonetta 2 - I really shouldn't be adding this as I haven't played more than an hour, but holy shit, what an hour. You sometimes worry that a game will feel too samey and not really feel fresh, but that doesn't apply here at all. Platinum knocked it out of the park based on my hour of gameplay and I can only imagine how much better it gets.

There are so many more, but these are the main ones for me. The ones that instantly come to mind when I think of which games lived up their respective hype.

pr0cs

Shadow of mordor - I love sandbox games and while I'm not finished it yet I really think it's my favorite game this year

Tlou:r - I never played the ps3 version but knew it was hyped to high heaven, I'm not disappointed

---
I haven't played sunset overdrive or forza horizon 2 (they're Xmas presents) but based from what I've read I expect to have a lot of fun with them too

Quite a few (for me)

Dragons Age inquisition
Alien:isolation
FarCry4
Wolfenstien The New Order
Bayonetta 2
Smash U
Shadows of Mordor

but if I had to choose one it would be Shadows of Mordor-

Top Bottom