• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

Finished Black Mirror 2, didn't enjoy it as much as Black Mirror 1 even though its technically a better game. The puzzles were definitely not as good as BM1 and some story choices the developers made were less than stellar. Really good game though and the soundtrack was phenomenal, one of the best in games I've ever heard. I did some research and I found out that the developer Cranberry Productions is now making mobile games and it made me really sad.

Gorger

Finished Black Mirror 2, didn't enjoy it as much as Black Mirror 1 even though its technically a better game. The puzzles were definitely not as good as BM1 and some story choices the developers made were less than stellar. Really good game though and the soundtrack was phenomenal, one of the best in games I've ever heard. I did some research and I found out that the developer Cranberry Productions is now making mobile games and it made me really sad.

You still have the third game left to play. It's quite good as well.

Terra_Ex

Any thoughts on Cognition? Gives me a Still Life vibe which sounds right up my alley.
It's good, could use a little polish in some areas but it was one of the more enjoyable PnC games I played in quite some time. I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot.

TripleSun

Man I will always be sad that BM is over with because that series is among my favorites. BM3 is superb so have fun with it!

Dsyndrome

Missed that Book of Unwritten Tales 2 was coming out soon on the first page (saw someone mention in the Steam thread), stoked to play it! The first one was great with the multiple protags and humor, second was ok but still fun. Anyone play the Early Access and have impressions?

TripleSun

Interesting premise at the very least. Visually, it doesn't leap out at me like Kathy Rain did due to the limited palette but I do like those rain effects on the windows. Definitely a game to keep an eye on.

Yeah the premise sounds pretty cool, plus it seems like everyone's mesmerized by the rain effects lol

Card Boy

Banned
Old news but something i discovered just recently. Someone is remaking making Kings Quest 4. Some forum member on AGS was working on a 3D remake of the game but she suddenly passed away but the project was continuted in dedication to her but this time in the vain of Kings Quest 5 graphics.
kq4_remake___vga_backgrounds_by_lovelymaiden-d5rbnw2.png

graham_bed_by_nightfable-d7dwpzv.gif

cut_scenes_by_nightfable-d7dwq02.gif

kq4_004c_by_nightfable-d7e6ccn.gif

All WIP and not finished yet.

In case you forgot what the original KQ4 looked like.

This is what the girl that passes away was working on.

Add this to the Kings Quest 1-3 remakes and the The Silver Lining unofficial KQ game and i'm a happy camper.

Don't know how the game is but it seems The Apotheosis Project is on the lowest pledge level for the new groupees bundle. DRM-free and will give a Steam key if it gets greenlighted.

https://groupees.com/biab3

[edit] Damn another great looking AGS game. Check it out! http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51693.0

TripleSun, you are keeping this thread alive! This new game looks great too. I love the 90's esthetic. It's weird, I am going to upgrade my laptop soon so I should be able to play some more demanding games, but all the games I am most looking forward to are these small AGS games.

On another note, did anyone else back Starr Mazer? I upped my pledge over the weekend hoping for that cassette,but it seems like they are going to struggle all the way to the finish line. It's too bad, I would love if the PS Vita port became a reality since I think that will be more enjoyable for playing the shmup sections.

Also there is a poll going on at adventuregamers.com to vote for the top adventure games of 2014 in various categories. So if you're interested go check it out and vote for your favorites.

TripleSun

Hah funny you bring up that you're upgrading but AGS games are your most hyped games haha, pretty much the same way with me. I have this great rig but PnC is all I'm mainly stoked for as of late, well it's obviously my favorite genre. AGS people are so talented. I used to not follow that site but now it seems I'm at least glancing at it like daily lol. It's nice to have a place for people who love PnC too, I was mainly a kid who would lock up in the basement and wouldn't talk to anyone for the weekend and bust through PnC games lol.

Any way yeah the vibe in Icon Architect is like candy for the eyes. Those rain drops are magnificent and the story looks great. The only downside to finding all these cool games is that I have to wait for them knowing that they exist lol. So it's like "oh is there new news? A release date?" Lol.

But yeah I'm pushing through Syberia right now. It definitely reminds me of PnC I used to play back in the day. Still finding Sinking Island more enjoyable so far but that's just me. Sokal is great with atmosphere though. Always feels empty, full of nature and just atmospheric. Seems Adventure Gamers are coming back with a buying site like they used to have. Hopefully games that GoG/Steam don't put up I can get there. Someone here said I should try out Paradise too but unless I get a boxed copy I can't find a digital version of it to buy.

[edit] Actually Syberia is getting better and better, just I feel kinda lonely since it's been empty a lot. Thankfully I have Oscar around lol

Wow, what a start to today.Toonstruck is now available on Gog! Has anyone ever played this game before? I was always interested but never saw a copy available. I will have to check it out..

TripleSun

Hot damn, thanks for the heads up! I will definitely pick up some of them!

[edit] Just picked up Momento Mori 2. Enjoyed the first one and had been wanting the sequel but was waiting for a discount so $5 is more than generous enough.

Hah funny you bring up that you're upgrading but AGS games are your most hyped games haha, pretty much the same way with me. I have this great rig but PnC is all I'm mainly stoked for as of late, well it's obviously my favorite genre. AGS people are so talented. I used to not follow that site but now it seems I'm at least glancing at it like daily lol. It's nice to have a place for people who love PnC too, I was mainly a kid who would lock up in the basement and wouldn't talk to anyone for the weekend and bust through PnC games lol.

Any way yeah the vibe in Icon Architect is like candy for the eyes. Those rain drops are magnificent and the story looks great. The only downside to finding all these cool games is that I have to wait for them knowing that they exist lol. So it's like "oh is there new news? A release date?" Lol.

But yeah I'm pushing through Syberia right now. It definitely reminds me of PnC I used to play back in the day. Still finding Sinking Island more enjoyable so far but that's just me. Sokal is great with atmosphere though. Always feels empty, full of nature and just atmospheric. Seems Adventure Gamers are coming back with a buying site like they used to have. Hopefully games that GoG/Steam don't put up I can get there. Someone here said I should try out Paradise too but unless I get a boxed copy I can't find a digital version of it to buy.

[edit] Actually Syberia is getting better and better, just I feel kinda lonely since it's been empty a lot. Thankfully I have Oscar around lol

Yes, I was always skeptical of the old Adventure Gamers Store. At the time I was very much into Steam, but for the past couple years I have tried to just support Gog wherever possible. The old/current store does have some games that aren't available elsewhere. Have you ever played Overclocked? That game looks interesting and is available there,but no where else as far as I know.

Syberia starts so slowly! But it slowly picks up speed and by the end of it I couldn't wait to start Syberia II. I will try to replay them when Syberia III comes out. I'm not sure how soon that will be since but my hope is for sometime next year.

Does this link not work for Paradise: Paradise

TripleSun

Woah the art looks real grim and beautiful. Will look out for this.

Also about Syberia, yeah it's kinda hard to get into right now but that's probably because I'm still early in. Hoping to get into gear this weekend since I have a bunch of free time and beat it. I also have Syberia II sitting in my Steam account. Not sure how long it's been there lol..

But yeah Syberia III, they did say something about 2015 but I expect 2016 probably. It's still so in the dark news wise. But I guess if it warrants a third game it must be liked lol

I love Steam just because it collects all my games together but it sucks when you find out another site namely GoG has something Steam doesn't and I need it and then I go to GoG.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey guys, long time PnC fan here.

I'm looking for PnC games for my PS3/PS4/Vita. I got Grim Fandango, most of the Telltale Games (Sam and Max Devil Toybox, Tales from Monkey Island, BTTF, WD season 1 and 2), remakes of Monkey Island 1 and 2. What can you guys suggest? Best if it's cross platform.

I was thinking of Syberia...

One thing I really love about both Syberia games, particularly the first one, is the feeling of isolation they give. You catch these glimpses of her life back home and see how chaotic it currently is, then you're brought back into this state of tranquility by being away from it. I love lots of NPC's in adventures as much as any other fan but it's nice to get away from all of that noise once in awhile and the Syberia games provided that. It's been awhile since I played either of them, but if I'm remembering right, the second game doesn't feel quite as empty as the first. There are more NPC's throughout the game, at least compared to the first Syberia.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Machinarium is the best thing you didn't list. I love it.

Please note: No dialogue.

I also got that one, forgot to mention that. :p

Filben

Gray Matter
Already own it but I think I should give it (another) try. I just can't stand the sluggishness/unresponsive character behaviour in most 3D adventures. And I think I've encountered a plot stopping bug at the very beginning. After getting from the garage with the motorcycle back into the house, there should be someone there talking to you. But there isn't :(

I'm looking for PnC games for my PS3/PS4/Vita. I got Grim Fandango, most of the Telltale Games (Sam and Max Devil Toybox, Tales from Monkey Island, BTTF, WD season 1 and 2), remakes of Monkey Island 1 and 2. What can you guys suggest? Best if it's cross platform.
Primordia. Awesome game. Blackwell series, Resonance and Gemini Rue. Sadly no cross platform. PC only.

Holy crap, that looks amazing. I'll be getting that asap, thanks for pointing it out.

I thought the art reminded me of Beksinski, and sure enough:

The dreamlike, nightmarish atmosphere of the game was inspired by works of painters H.R. Giger and Zdzisław Beksiński. The game's final look and feel was also strongly influenced by the universes of games such as Demon's Souls or Dark Seed. This unique mixture gave life to a bleak and depressing world.

inm8num2

The Coles posted an update on Hero-U today.

We are still on target for release on Oct. 15 thanks to our talented new programming team members (see Update 60). They are rapidly filling out the game and keeping Lori and me on our toes trying to write game text fast enough to keep up with them. We still have a long way to go on development, but the light in the tunnel is no longer an oncoming train.

We plan to release a playable combat test and an updated version of the break-in house playable prototype late next month. These will lead up to a supplemental funding campaign in April-May.

There's more on their decision to return to kickstarter, but I wonder if doing something like IndieGoGo would be better. That way they don't have to hit a specified goal but could do flexible funding. Spending a month on a kickstarter and still planning to release the game October 15 also seems optimistic, but if the engine and design are set and it's just a matter of programmers and artists adding the content, perhaps it's doable. It seems a rough time for crowdfunding in video games, and people may not be as receptive to the Coles going back to KS, but it all depends on the fundraising goal and how well received the current progress will be. The other issue might be rewards, since physical ones eat up funds and previous backers have already pledged for copies of the game. Just not sure how big of an audience there will be for this campaign, but I wish the Coles the best.

neilka

Missed that Book of Unwritten Tales 2 was coming out soon on the first page (saw someone mention in the Steam thread), stoked to play it! The first one was great with the multiple protags and humor, second was ok but still fun. Anyone play the Early Access and have impressions?
I've only played the first chapter on Early Access (I didn't want to go further as there were things like the orchestral soundtrack and sidequests still missing) but it was very enjoyable indeed, definitely up to the standard of the first game. Looking forward to playing the finished article this weekend.

SOME-MIST

the preview beta information for Armikrog backers is going out next week! looks like the backers are going to be able to play part of the beta before the full beta version is officially released.

latest update almost mentioned how it's the preview build they will be using at PAX and for other promotional purposes.

I am excite :D

TripleSun

Pretty surprised how much my mind changed on Syberia. At first it was hard to get into but now that I finished it I have that feeling of not wanting it to end, even though I still have the sequel to play. Really loved the parts where
Kate and her husband ended up realizing they weren't enough for each other and how she realized that she'd rather join Hans on his mammoth adventure. I mean it's not like she has anything really waiting for her at home besides her mom anymore. She lost that passion for her job ever since she got wrapped up in this adventure. I saw it coming miles away but it still hit me hard.
What a great game. Glad I managed to push past the beginning which always halted my playing of the game. Guess I'm onto 2 now.

The Daedalic Fairytale Bundle is 66% off right now, which is $10.19. It includes Gomo (mixed reviews), The Whispered World Special Edition (mostly positive reviews), and The Night of the Rabbit (very positive reviews). Never heard of Gomo, but have heard decent things about The Whispered World (besides the main character having a horrible voice) and The Night of the Rabbit looks very beautiful.

Also, if you guys didn't know, you can now back Thimbleweed Park (Ron Gilbert's new game) using PayPal or Amazon Payments on their website.

http://blog.thimbleweedpark.com/backer

I'm honestly thinking about getting the $350 tier for the shirt, signed poster, boxed game, and a digital copy of the game. Is this a bad idea?

y/n?

the preview beta information for Armikrog backers is going out next week! looks like the backers are going to be able to play part of the beta before the full beta version is officially released.

latest update almost mentioned how it's the preview build they will be using at PAX and for other promotional purposes.

I am excite :D

It's extremely depressing to me that I missed the Kickstarter for that... I love The Neverhood. Guess I'll have to get a physical copy via eBay... I'll also never forgive myself for not being able to back Broken Age. I miss everything good. D:

TripleSun

It's so easy to fall into darkness with KS rewards. There was a time when I was gonna drop $500 on the Dreamfall Chapters KS until my friends and mother talked me out of like I was an idiot. But hell I had the money and Dreamfall/TLJ mean SO MUCH to me so I kind of tried to rationalize it lol

Hell if you have the money and love the people/games they make that much, go for it. But yeah I guess I'm kinda glad I didn't spend $500 on the KS in the end lol

Its up to you but i would never do it. You can basically buy a new console with that money.

But I already own all of the major consoles. :(

It's so easy to fall into darkness with KS rewards. There was a time when I was gonna drop $500 on the Dreamfall Chapters KS until my friends and mother talked me out of like I was an idiot. But hell I had the money and Dreamfall/TLJ mean SO MUCH to me so I kind of tried to rationalize it lol

Hell if you have the money and love the people/games they make that much, go for it. But yeah I guess I'm kinda glad I didn't spend $500 on the KS in the end lol

Yeah, I know it's kind of silly. Maybe I'll just go for the box, I dunno. I'm crazy about physical merch. I really don't need the shirt or the poster... Probably go for the $150 tier, if that.
I suppose I should start enjoying the games themselves more instead of having shit to throw on my bookshelves and show to my friends who will be impressed for about two seconds.

TripleSun

I'm the same way. I'm really bad with physical merch and when it costs a billion times more than the game itself I feel kind of silly. But meh collectors are collectors.

The Daedalic Fairytale Bundle is 66% off right now, which is $10.19. It includes Gomo (mixed reviews), The Whispered World Special Edition (mostly positive reviews), and The Night of the Rabbit (very positive reviews). Never heard of Gomo, but have heard decent things about The Whispered World (besides the main character having a horrible voice) and The Night of the Rabbit looks very beautiful.

The Night of the Rabbit is my favorite p&c game and one of my favorite games overall. Incredibly, incredibly charming. Also, the music is unbelievable.
Whispered World is also quite good, and the main character is fine. He's supposed to be a mopey sad sack, and his voice conveys that pretty well I think!

Top Bottom