• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

The Night of the Rabbit is my favorite p&c game and one of my favorite games overall. Incredibly, incredibly charming. Also, the music is unbelievable.
Whispered World is also quite good, and the main character is fine. He's supposed to be a mopey sad sack, and his voice conveys that pretty well I think!

Guess I'll have to buy it, then. :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imagosfilms/starr-mazer

2ish days to go and only $3000 left for it to reach its goal! I wanna pay with my CC but I won't be able to get it cleared til Sunday =X

THIS LOOKS BALLING.
I'm terrible at shmups but I love genre mashups and this just seems badass. How have I not heard of this?

Zaph

The Night of the Rabbit is my favorite p&c game and one of my favorite games overall. Incredibly, incredibly charming. Also, the music is unbelievable.
Agreed -- it was so much better than I thought it was going to be. The voice acting in particular was surprisingly good, especially when you consider the age of the actor voicing the main character.

Okay, this may be a bit of a long post. First of all, I have a bit over $10 in Steam credit just chilling in my account. Should I get the Daedalic Fairytale Bundle (Gomo, The Whispered World, Night of the Rabbit) or the Lucasarts pack (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, The Dig)? Is there something else interesting I should get instead? Here's a list of adventure/point and click games I currently own on Steam:

Ben There, Dan That!
Broken Age
Broken Sword 2 (haven't played this or any other entries in the series)
Gemini Rue
Grim Fandango Remastered
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
The Inner World
The Journey Down (both chapters)
Kentucky Route Zero
The Last Door CE
Machinarium
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Sam & Max Seasons 1-3
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
The Shivah
Syberia 1+2
Tales of Monkey Island
Time Gentlemen, Please!
The Walking Dead Seasons 1+2
The Wolf Among Us

Sorry for the big list, I just hope it makes suggestions easier. Like I said, I was leaning towards one of those two packs, but I'll check anything out! I'll probably get most of the other Telltale games eventually and Life Is Strange looks good as well.

I've never played Gomo, and lost interest in the Whispered World about 1/3rd of the way in... Fate of Atlantis(I don't remember playing Last Crusade), the Dig and Loom were all great. If you like old timey adventure games, I'd go with the Lucas bundle.

Wait wait wait, there's another Indiana Jones PnC besides Fate of Atlantis? Last Crusade was a PnC?? Fate of Atlantis is on STEAM? Damn, I'm going to have to get that! I've heard The Dig is good too so sounds like a nice bundle.

I played the Whispering World recently after getting the bundle without knowing anything beyond the trailer and enjoyed it. The main character's voice is indeed annoying and I found myself quickly reading his lines and skipping the VA as soon as I could but the characters and areas have charm and it has a premise at the start that keeps you wondering how events will unfold as you progress through the game. What really drove this game up a few notches for me was the ending. It has a nice twist, is a little emotional, but best of all, provides previously unseen context to the entire game which was pretty neat.

Okay, this may be a bit of a long post. First of all, I have a bit over $10 in Steam credit just chilling in my account. Should I get the Daedalic Fairytale Bundle (Gomo, The Whispered World, Night of the Rabbit) or the Lucasarts pack (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, The Dig)? Is there something else interesting I should get instead? Here's a list of adventure/point and click games I currently own on Steam:

Ben There, Dan That!
Broken Age
Broken Sword 2 (haven't played this or any other entries in the series)
Gemini Rue
Grim Fandango Remastered
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
The Inner World
The Journey Down (both chapters)
Kentucky Route Zero
The Last Door CE
Machinarium
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Sam & Max Seasons 1-3
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
The Shivah
Syberia 1+2
Tales of Monkey Island
Time Gentlemen, Please!
The Walking Dead Seasons 1+2
The Wolf Among Us

Sorry for the big list, I just hope it makes suggestions easier. Like I said, I was leaning towards one of those two packs, but I'll check anything out! I'll probably get most of the other Telltale games eventually and Life Is Strange looks good as well.

FATE is one of the greatest P&C games ever made(and my personal favourite), so get the lucasarts pack.

Wait wait wait, there's another Indiana Jones PnC besides Fate of Atlantis? Last Crusade was a PnC?? Fate of Atlantis is on STEAM? Damn, I'm going to have to get that! I've heard The Dig is good too so sounds like a nice bundle.

Just bear in mind Last Crusade is zak/mansion era lucasfilms - the command structure is very basic which makes puzzles harder, and the dialogue isn't as good as FATE.

FATE is one of the greatest P&C games ever made(and my personal favourite), so get the lucasarts pack.

Just bear in mind Last Crusade is zak/mansion era lucasfilms - the command structure is very basic which makes puzzles harder, and the dialogue isn't as good as FATE.

I noticed it was made before Atlantis. Worst case, I have Atlantis on a more modern platform and can try out The Dig.

How's Broken Age for those that have played it? I plan on getting those two games for PS4 so I can play on the big screen.

Bebpo

Banned
Whispered World is also quite good, and the main character is fine. He's supposed to be a mopey sad sack, and his voice conveys that pretty well I think!

Neat. So are the best Deadalic games Night of the Rabbit, Memoria and Whispered World?

Okay, this may be a bit of a long post. First of all, I have a bit over $10 in Steam credit just chilling in my account. Should I get the Daedalic Fairytale Bundle (Gomo, The Whispered World, Night of the Rabbit) or the Lucasarts pack (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Loom, The Dig)? Is there something else interesting I should get instead?

I would think the classic Lucasarts pack in the definitive choice. The Fate of Atlantis is an all-time classic, and Loom is very charming and unique. The Dig is a bit of a mixed bag; I think the writing is pretty bad (Orson Scott Card, figures), but the setting is interesting and there are some cool puzzles. I haven't played The Last Crusade, mind you.

How's Broken Age for those that have played it? I plan on getting those two games for PS4 so I can play on the big screen.

Well, that's a bit hard to judge overall before Act II comes out. ;) I definitely enjoyed Act I, but you should know beforehand that it's quite short (3-4 hours maybe) and rather easy. It's certainly a very charming experience though, with a great artstyle and fun writing from Mr. Schafer. Reports from Act II playtesting indicate a length of 9-13 hours (not sure how many of their testers were P&C veterans though) and the devs have said it would be significantly more challenging, so I'm pretty hyped for it.

I would think the classic Lucasarts pack in the definitive choice. The Fate of Atlantis is an all-time classic, and Loom is very charming and unique. The Dig is a bit of a mixed bag; I think the writing is pretty bad (Orson Scott Card, figures), but the setting is interesting and there are some cool puzzles. I haven't played The Last Crusade, mind you.

Well, that's a bit hard to judge overall before Act II comes out. ;) I definitely enjoyed Act I, but you should know beforehand that it's quite short (3-4 hours maybe) and rather easy. It's certainly a very charming experience though, with a great artstyle and fun writing from Mr. Schafer. Reports from Act II playtesting indicate a length of 9-13 hours (not sure how many of their testers were P&C veterans though) and the devs have said it would be significantly more challenging, so I'm pretty hyped for it.

Ah, I was going to say I only asked about the first game as I know the second game didn't come out yet! But I didn't realize it was just part of a game that's already out ala what they did with Broken Sword 5. I always wait until all the parts are out before I bother so it works out that they are both coming together for PS4. Thanks!

Knurek

Neat. So are the best Deadalic games Night of the Rabbit, Memoria and Whispered World?

Night of the Rabbit, Chains of Satinav and Memoria.
If you can stomach South Park-like humor, maybe Deponia.
Whispered World has, like, the most annoying main character ever.

epmode

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 just went up on Steam. $31.50

http://store.steampowered.com/app/279940/

I'd love to hear impressions from someone that isn't necessarily enamored with modern German adventure games. Most everything I've played has been hampered by some kind of poor localization but I don't think that's a common view in this thread.

Zaph

I totally get what you mean about some German adventure games, but BoUT1's localisation is one of the best around. As it's largely a spoof on fantasy fiction, the jokes need to land, and they do.

Have no reason to believe the sequel will be any different.

Night of the Rabbit, Chains of Satinav and Memoria.
If you can stomach South Park-like humor, maybe Deponia.
Whispered World has, like, the most annoying main character ever.

I agree with this; though I actually liked Chains of Satinav more than Memoria. But I was much more invested in Memoria critically because I was writing AdventureGamers review of it.

Also, just came to me but a great PnC people should check out is The Next Big Thing. Super funny take on the Hollywood Movie Monster genre.

I totally get what you mean about some German adventure games, but BoUT1's localisation is one of the best around. As it's largely a spoof on fantasy fiction, the jokes need to land, and they do.

Have no reason to believe the sequel will be any different.

Agreed, BoUT1 had a fantastic localisation.

Only weakness to the game was the ending. Felt like they ran out of money and cut it short or something

hopefully BoTU2 uses the same voice cast. Not been listening to any of the KS making of stuff as I don't want to be spoiled.

I know I'm kinda late saying this, but holy cow am I glad that Broken Age is getting a physical release. I was thinking that I'd have to buy it off a scalper on eBay.

Fortunately I'll only have to do that with Armikrog. ;p

Tizoc

Guess I'll have to buy it, then. :)

THIS LOOKS BALLING.
I'm terrible at shmups but I love genre mashups and this just seems badass. How have I not heard of this?

Goal has been reached! Shame it won't reach its PS4/Xbone goal but nothing #Buildingthelist can't fix >=3

Goal has been reached! Shame it won't reach its PS4/Xbone goal but nothing #Buildingthelist can't fix >=3

Probably going to bite the bullet and throw in $80 for that sweet box and poster.
Someone should tattoo "Poor Impulse Control" on my forehead.

So is the consensus here that The Book of Unwritten Tales is a really good PnC? The second game looks pretty cool so I'm thinking of snagging the first game and if I dig it, pick up the second after.

Zeeman

So is the consensus here that The Book of Unwritten Tales is a really good PnC? The second game looks pretty cool so I'm thinking of snagging the first game and if I dig it, pick up the second after.

Personally, I thought it was great. The ending is pretty rushed, but otherwise, it was extremely enjoyable.

inm8num2

One of the best of the past 5 years. Charming, funny, and beautiful with clever and sometimes self-aware puzzles. BOUT is an all-around pleasant game to play. It's a love letter to classic adventure games while being a great one in its own right.

Personally, I thought it was great. The ending is pretty rushed, but otherwise, it was extremely enjoyable.

One of the best of the past 5 years. Charming, funny, and beautiful with clever and sometimes self-aware puzzles. BOUT is an all-around pleasant game to play. It's a love letter to classic adventure games while being a great one in its own right.

Awesome, thanks guys! I'm not as concerned about the ending with the sequel already out unless the self contained story ends unsatisfactory but if the game as a whole is still great, that's not a deterrent. I think this is what I'll play after I go through The Order while I wait for the big March releases.

shaowebb

Anybody making an OT for Unwritten Tales 2?

This. I am super excited that its out now. Its a looooooooong game too for a point and click...or any genre for that matter! Pretty great writing and characterization is prevalent in this series. Still need to finish Critter Chronicles, but I'm glad that I have something to come back to once I finish up. :)

Card Boy

Banned
The newest IndieGala bundle got Syberia 1 & 2 and Still Life in it if anybody are missing those three.

Was just about this, if anyone doesn't want Still Life i will take it.

$1 dollar gets you Edna & Harvey: The Breakout from Be Mine Anniversary bundle at Groupees.

$3 Gets you Under a Killing Moon and the MacVenture Collection from the Retro Bundle.

Bebpo

Banned
You know I'm really digging Primordia. A big part about it is the setting, very cool Dune-ish sci-fi. I also like all the mechanical robot focus. Kind of brings me back to a few weeks ago when I posted about how there's a lack of stories about mechs/mecha in adventure games. If the game ends up being fairly good I'm gonna recommend it to some of my non PnC playing friends who are really into sci-fi because I think it scratches an itch that not a lot of games do.

inm8num2

You know I'm really digging Primordia. A big part about it is the setting, very cool Dune-ish sci-fi. I also like all the mechanical robot focus. Kind of brings me back to a few weeks ago when I posted about how there's a lack of stories about mechs/mecha in adventure games. If the game ends up being fairly good I'm gonna recommend it to some of my non PnC playing friends who are really into sci-fi because I think it scratches an itch that not a lot of games do.

Awesome game. I just love how the art direction of lower resolution games can sometimes do more for the setting and atmosphere than high resolution artwork might do.

The music in Primordia really complements and elevates the setting as well.

My only complaint about the game, which isn't really a complaint, is that it's hard to listen to Crispin and not hear Joey Mallone. ;)

Personally, I think it's very overrated, but I seem to be in the minority. *shrugs* The writing is rather hit-or-miss, and it's really not as funny as it tries to be. There's a bunch of pixel-hunting bullshit as well. Mind you, there's a button to display hotspots that certainly alleviates that problem, but they don't tell you that and I only realized it near the end of the game. -_- Also, Ivo's design, ugh. For some reason, a female character walking around in her underwear in public seems even more ridiculous in an adventure game than in an action game.

Tizoc

Can I still back the game for $15 tomorrow? I won't clear my CC til tomorrow and I wouldn't mind getting this for $15 :p

misho8723

Banned
Some of my own screens from The Book of Unwritten Tales 2:
Zuob.jpg

avob.jpg

bvob.jpg

cvob.jpg

dvob.jpg

evob.jpg

I loved Primordia -- the art, the VA, the music, the puzzles -- everything was spot on.

Played through the Tormentum demo just now. It felt a bit...sparse without any voice acting. I also am not a huge fan of how the screen scrolls just slightly left and right as you move the mouse around.

Puzzles were decent though, and the art is great. I'll get it.

inm8num2

Played through the Tormentum demo just now. It felt a bit...sparse without any voice acting. I also am not a huge fan of how the screen scrolls just slightly left and right as you move the mouse around.

Puzzles were decent though, and the art is great. I'll get it.

I enjoyed the demo. It does have a bit of a 'casual' vibe (side scrolling with mouse), but I can do without voice acting. The artwork was stunning, and while the intro puzzles were expectedly easy I could see there being more difficulty as the game proceeds.

The Steam page description estimates 4-6 hours of gameplay. With a decent story and some meatier puzzles Tormentum could be a modest success.

edit - found the IndieGoGo crowdfunding page.

Top Bottom