• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

I enjoyed the demo. It does have a bit of a 'casual' vibe (side scrolling with mouse), but I can do without voice acting. The artwork was stunning, and while the intro puzzles were expectedly easy I could see there being more difficulty as the game proceeds.

The Steam page description estimates 4-6 hours of gameplay. With a decent story and some meatier puzzles Tormentum could be a modest success.

edit - found the IndieGoGo crowdfunding page.

Yeah, I think I'll definitely enjoy the full product.

On another note, I always miss the chance to help fund games like this and Shadowgate that are right up my alley.

Whelp, just beat Grim Fandango for the first time! Think I'll play some Telltale Games for a bit since my brain is pretty sore from some of those ridiculous puzzles.

Well, I went all in on the Book of Unwritten Tales series (picked up all three games) so here's hoping they are as good as they look. It has the classic traditional style I like and the theme and tropes from other genres and fantasy series is appealing so pretty damn sure I'll enjoy this plus most of you guys enjoyed the game so I'm not worried. I guess one of them is a prequel that only has two of the characters and shows how they first met. I'm thinking I'll probably play them in the order they came out so starting with the first game, then the prequel, and lastly the sequel that I'll probably be impatient at getting to ;P I'll fire up the first one later this evening I expect.

inm8num2

Currently playing Edna & Harvey: The Breakout. The game world has its own quirky logic given you're in an asylum, but even so I'm finding it to be a good challenge. Nearly every action you take has a unique response (talking to inventory items, using inventory items on anything you see, etc.). It actually feels a bit daunting, wanting to try all the different possible combinations of things to do. Overall I'm loving the story and characters and will probably play the sequel Harvey's New Eyes next.

Bebpo

Banned
Currently playing Edna & Harvey: The Breakout. The game world has its own quirky logic given you're in an asylum, but even so I'm finding it to be a good challenge. Nearly every action you take has a unique response (talking to inventory items, using inventory items on anything you see, etc.). It actually feels a bit daunting, wanting to try all the different possible combinations of things to do. Overall I'm loving the story and characters and will probably play the sequel Harvey's New Eyes next.

Did not like it. Super, super tedious to play. The writing/characters/setting was interesting, but it was really long and tiring to go through. :(

neilka

Anyone playing Book of Unwritten Tales 2 should beware that there are game breaking bugs at the moment, so if you're relying on autosave you can get into situations where you can't progress and would need to restart the game. Make sure you save manually!

The specific bug I got stuck on was in Chapter 3 - if you want to avoid it and don't mind spoiling a puzzle solution then:
don't put the balloon in the waterwheel until after you put the waterwheel under the tap.

I spent most of the weekend playing through TBoUT 1. Overall, I really enjoyed it though I found that Chapter 4 really seemed to drag on. The humour is definitely a mixed bag, though there were a few moments that made me laugh. I'm installing Critter Chronicles as we speak, but I have a feeling it's going to annoy me as I didn't care for the parts with Critter in the 1st game.

Sakwoff

I have just finished Blackwell Epiphany.

I... just... well.

The game was absolutely incredible. The whole series was great, but... wow. This is how you wrap up a game series, folks. The Blackwell games are definitely up there with my favourite adventure games ever now. I cannot wait to see what Gilbert does next.

I also might have cried at the end.

TripleSun

Super looking forward to the Charnel House Trilogy. Sepulchre's atmosphere was awesome and I was hoping they'd do more with the world. So this is like Christmas~

minhta

Neo Member
Just thought I'd plug this point-and-click Kickstarter that just got underway:

Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders - A beautifully pixelated point-and-click thriller set in ancient China where you play as the legendary detective Di Renjie.

poster1.jpg

ks_FINAL_screenshots13.png

Terra_Ex

TripleSun

Yeah Detective Di sounds really nice. Deduction board, the music, the pixel art, and basing a PnC game on a Chinese detective scenario is pretty original. Wish you all the luck.

minhta

Neo Member
Yeah, I'll probably have to throw some money at this, it looks interesting, the pixel art is nice (though the top-down stuff looks a little out of place to my eye) and the setting intrigues me.

Thanks Terra_Ex! It's nice to hear people are liking the setting. There was a time when we were worried it might be too unique, but so far the reception has been really good.

epmode

GAF, I'm trying to give The Book of Unwritten Tales another go. It's... competent. I mean, the background art looks great, the adventurin mechanics are good, the voice acting is generally well done. ..but oh god is it dull. The dialogue and plot aren't even a tenth as clever as the game seems to think they are.

Just got to the human town and I'm thinking of giving up for good.

GAF, I'm trying to give The Book of Unwritten Tales another go. It's... competent. I mean, the background art looks great, the adventurin mechanics are good, the voice acting is generally well done. ..but oh god is it dull. The dialogue and plot aren't even a tenth as clever as the game seems to think they are.

I couldn't handle more than a few hours of it. As you said, I found it to be very dull also.

That is how I felt about the game to a T.

Teggy

Greetings, P&C-GAF. I've recently been tackling a bunch of adventure games because they are great for playing in bed on my laptop and working down my backlog. I've never really completed adventure games before, so I have a whole lot of big names in the lineup. I just completed Jolly Rover, Deponia, and Syberia, and am working on Chaos on Deponia and Syberia II. Afterwards I'll be moving on to Goodbye Deponia, The Longest Journey and Monkey Island.

Here's my question for you - do you think that revealing hotspots makes games too easy? Personally I am all for it. Deponia lets you view all hotspots and I think the puzzles are what makes the game challenging, especially since it includes inventory combinations. Syberia actually marked everything on the map by default and it didn't feel to easy at all. Syberia II however, does not. I don't know if this was done to make the game more difficult or because certain puzzle screens have so many clickables it would be too cluttered. But I just had to look up a hint
(the stupid little dark button on the bottom of the radar box)
because I didn't notice a very hard to spot graphic.

To me pixel hunts seem like busy work requiring patience but no skill. What do you think? Bad, or just another reason modern games are too easy?

Teggy

Wow, I really crashed and burned on Syberia II. That second to last segment just wore at my patience with all the walking and some more obscure puzzles. Looked up a ton of hints :(

I started The Book of Unwritten Tales on Sunday, finishing last night and really enjoyed it. The art and graphics are great, the VA well done, and it had solid, traditional PnC game play. It's easier than many other PnC games I've played but also didn't have any really non-nonsensical obscure puzzles. I personally enjoyed all the movie quotes and RPG trope references but there's no doubt it can come off as hammy and I'm sure cheesy to some. Maybe that's why some of you didn't like it? Did the dialogue just not resonate with you and so the characters were too hum drum? I'm not sure why someone would find this game dull as the characters have plenty of personality and the game attempts to be funny. I can see not enjoying the game much if you don't appreciate the game's sense of humor, I just found "dull" to be an interesting description for it. Regardless, it's certainly a competent PnC and I look forward to play more of this series.

Spoiler for the end:
I enjoyed the the role that the time jumping presented, helping 'myself' out, completely emulating Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban. I had thought the hooded figure was the Arch Mage at first, sneaking into enemy lands and being apprised of what I was doing, helping me without revealing his identity. I was tipped off to the truth just before the reveal by the Wilbur mirror scene. I was hoping to see what the evil witch looked like at the end though, I wonder if she'll be in part 2? I thought I'd at least see her in the ending cut scene but nope! Actually, I wonder what her and Munkus' fate was in general, if the imps actually killed them or if they simply overran them and took over the fort, kicking them out.

Anyway, I'm now even more excited to play the sequel but need to play the prequel first. I admit, I'm not as excited for this one as it's only two of the characters and the previews I saw gave me an impression that it's more of a 'lite' version in the series but I could be wrong! I'll power through Critter Chronicles so I can get to the game I wanted to play all along, BoUT 2 :)

I've been really slacking on my PnC games lately, haven't completed one since the BlackWell Legacy more than a year ago :( just no time to fit one in...

Speaking of... I DO have the next Blackwell game (Unbound i think) installed, does anyone know how short it is? I really enjoyed the fact that i was done quickly with the first one what with limited time and all...

Speaking of... I DO have the next Blackwell game (Unbound i think) installed, does anyone know how short it is? I really enjoyed the fact that i was done quickly with the first one what with limited time and all...

It's not much longer than Legacy, if I recall correctly. The Blackwell games get progressively longer (and better!) as the series advances, but the second one is still quite short.

inm8num2

The first two games are about the same length (2.5-3 hours), then each after that is longer (I haven't played Epiphany, though).

Finished Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles last night. It was pretty much as expected, a lite version of the main game in the sense that it was shorter and only featured two of the four characters from the first game. It was still enjoyable having a number of the strengths of the first game such as the art, graphics, quality VA and humor. I enjoyed having Munkus back, he's an entertaining villain. It was a little interesting seeing more or less what Critter is and how he came to be in this world/met with Nate. My main complaints would be that it's a bit lame having a character that you don't understand so there's virtually zero value in examining objects with him. He makes some amusing noises at times and I enjoyed when he used body language to convey things, but it almost feels like you're missing much of the game when you're controlling Critter. Maybe that's too strong a statement, it's still fun slinking around as him and as I said, the body language works well but still, it feels pointless examining objects with him just to see his gibberish. I think perhaps they should have had translated subtitles for the player when he examines things but then kept it as is for when he communicates with Nate to keep that dynamic going. The other complaint is that outside of the intro, there are only two locations in the game and nearly all of it is only played in one of them. I did enjoy the Northern location but variety is the spice of life and it felt like (and I suppose is) there was more back tracking since you don't move on to another region.

So again, as expected, a lite version that's not as good as the first game but still an enjoyable romp and doesn't take up too much of your time anyway. I can now finally start Book of Unwritten Tales 2! The preview for part 2 is what made me decide to get this series in the first place (besides your guys' impressions, thanks!) so I'm pretty excited to play it. I should be able to fully enjoy it now that I've played the other two games and hopefully I should be able to start tonight. How many of you have played part 2? What did you think of it? The impressions I've read are that it's really good but the ending is a cliffhanger with a number of unresolved plots so a bit unsatisfying but they are clearly going to make a sequel which I'll be glad to have.

Dsyndrome

The new AdventureGamers store is online it looks like. Man when I was younger I remember I used to buy quite a few games from it. Good to see them back to having a store. It's just nice in general to have a store focusing on PnC games.

https://store.adventuregamers.com/

I bought a game off there a long time ago and can't remember what the heck it was, maybe Gray Matter? Curious if it would still show up as being attached to me.

The new AdventureGamers store is online it looks like. Man when I was younger I remember I used to buy quite a few games from it. Good to see them back to having a store. It's just nice in general to have a store focusing on PnC games.

https://store.adventuregamers.com/
Yea, been a while since a store was up. This one will be directly run by the staff/site admin rather than a third party. I've still have to check if my old purchases are attached. Most likely not. The old store had a few hard to find games which would be a shame if they disappear forever

Just saw a Myst-alike sci-fi point and click adventure called ASA: A Space Adventure mentioned on another forum. Looks like it just came out on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/329980/

Anyone here played it? It seems to have come out of nowhere (I don't see it in the OP either.)

Its actually been out since 2012 maybe. This is a remaster of sorts. It really fixes a lot of lingering issues with the original and is a pretty good game in its own right. I beta tested both versions, the creator is a great guy. I recommend it for all adventure fans, especially Myst fans.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
Its actually been out since 2012 maybe. This is a remaster of sorts. It really fixes a lot of lingering issues with the original and is a pretty good game in its own right. I beta tested both versions, the creator is a great guy. I recommend it for all adventure fans, especially Myst fans.

Thanks! I read the Steam reviews and they were all positive (even though there weren't that many of them), so I went ahead and bought the game. I like Riven a lot and I like sci-fi, so I hope I'll enjoy this one too.

Top Bottom