• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

inm8num2

Why the King’s Quest demo reignited my love for adventure games (PC Gamer)

King’s Quest has me excited for the future of adventure games. Until I sat down for a demo of The Odd Gentlemen’s modern take on the 30-year-old series, I didn’t know I was unexcited for the future of adventure games. But as I watched designer Matt Korba walk a gangly King Graham through a hand-painted forest, red cape billowing around him, and got a look at some simple puzzles and King’s Quest-style death scenes, I realized why I’m suddenly excited for this game and what it seems to be shooting for. It’s an 80s or 90s adventure game in spirit, with charm and puzzles and funny dialogue, but updated to tell its story with the gaming technology of 2015.

Saladinoo

I'm pretty interested in Thimbleweed Park due to the Twin Peaks / X-Files influences. Having said that I've never been a fan of the UI that gives you 9 verbs to use. Anyone know when that's out by the way?

I'm pretty interested in Thimbleweed Park due to the Twin Peaks / X-Files influences. Having said that I've never been a fan of the UI that gives you 9 verbs to use. Anyone know when that's out by the way?

The Kickstarter page says June 2016. If I'm remembering right Ron said he expects it out some time in 2016. June is probably just a placeholder.

And the verbs are one of the funnest parts! Assuming you get funny and creative replies based on what you do.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/335000/?snr=1_4_4__106
Tormentum is out!
Quick someone tell me if i should blindly throw $10 at it!

You should blindly throw $10 at it.

I'm enjoying it thus far, oozes atmosphere. Dialogue's a little obtuse in places, but nothing to really complain about. Haven't seen any of the real fucked up shit, but I'm just a half hour into it now, and have to eat with the family.

Nice, I'm getting it as well. Glad to hear it is good. I enjoyed the demo, only thought it was weirdly quiet with no voice acting and not much music.

Teggy

Hey PnCGAF - which is the best version of Myst to play if you've never played it? Original, Masterpiece, RealMyst...

inm8num2

That article is renewing my hopes after the underwhelming E3 trailer. More specifically, the mention of "King’s Quest-style death scenes" as well as the following quote:

"The game’s recent trailer, showing Graham traipsing around the 3D environments, made King’s Quest look like a platformer. That’s the skin. The bones are pure classic adventure."

Yea, it really doesn't sound all that bad. The game will be on the easy side, but if the basic pointing and clicking are there it can be an enjoyable experience.

Azar

That article is renewing my hopes after the underwhelming E3 trailer. More specifically, the mention of "King’s Quest-style death scenes" as well as the following quote:

"The game’s recent trailer, showing Graham traipsing around the 3D environments, made King’s Quest look like a platformer. That’s the skin. The bones are pure classic adventure."
I wrote the article, and I feel the same way! In fact, going into the demo, I'd only seen that trailer, and thought they were making a 3D platformer/ action-adventure game. But that's just because adventure gaming stuff doesn't really show well in a trailer, I guess. I'm optimistic now.

And happy to answer any questions I can, though I didn't see much of the game, obviously.

Hey PnCGAF - which is the best version of Myst to play if you've never played it? Original, Masterpiece, RealMyst...

I'd say the newest release which may be Masterpiece? I believe it has both versions and a lot of engine refinements for the 3D version.

TripleSun

I bought a game off there a long time ago and can't remember what the heck it was, maybe Gray Matter? Curious if it would still show up as being attached to me.

Well it's completely different from the old store and is stand-alone from the site so I doubt it will still be there. It's not third-party anymore like Indigo-Cyclops said so it probably won't have any of your past purchases.

I'm just happy to see it being back. I do remember there were some games I couldn't find anywhere else on the old store so hopefully it will surprise me. Although in a world run by Steam/GoG, they're gonna have to deal some sweet deals or some hidden gems that neither store has to bring in people.

I wrote the article, and I feel the same way! In fact, going into the demo, I'd only seen that trailer, and thought they were making a 3D platformer/ action-adventure game. But that's just because adventure gaming stuff doesn't really show well in a trailer, I guess. I'm optimistic now.

And happy to answer any questions I can, though I didn't see much of the game, obviously.

So it's really closer to old-school adventure games, than to... say, Telltale's recent stuff?

Card Boy

Banned
This is GAF's PnC of the Generation for Years 2000 to 2005.

Anyone agree?

Adventure

1. The Longest Journey (PC)
2. Syberia (PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox)
3. Ever 17: The Out of Infinity (PC, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2)
4. RealMyst (PC)
5. Indigo Prophecy (PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox)
5. Shadow of Destiny (PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox)
7. Remember 11: The End of Infinity (PC, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2)
7. Syberia II (PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox)
9. Escape from Monkey Island (PC)
10. Fate/Stay Night (PC, PlayStation 2)

Also the creator of Loom wants either Double Fine, Telltale or Wadjet Eye to make a sequel.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1005538

TripleSun

About that list above, meeeeh I'm not sure I would want to mix PnC with Japanese visual novels. I totally count them as two different genres.

Dsyndrome

100%'d Tormentum: Dark Sorrow yesterday, took me ~5 hrs for two playthroughs plus an hour for Idlemaster time. Fun game to play, a little short and easy though; no cat-hair mustaches or anything. The artwork is phenomenal, stuff you'd see from Giger or a Science Fiction magazine, definitely the best aspect of the game. It's cool to go back through to go through the path you didn't last time, although after you beat the game once, you know what to expect from the second ending even though it's different.

Probably my favorite part is the art strewn throughout that isn't necessarily part of the game, specifically in the Cathedral and through the credits. If these guys made another game, I'd totally be down for it.

Definitely a good use of $10. If that's too rich for you, I'm sure it'll be cheaper with sales later this year. 4/5

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I finally finished The Longest Journey last night. I started that game back in 2000 and got stuck on an early puzzle and never progressed. Now in 2015, I had no shame in using a guide for some of the more obtuse puzzles. And I'm really glad I revisited it. The story and characters were terrific and the art is still beautiful. April Ryan is a very well developed protagonist, the writing and voice acting really bring her to life despite the outdated character models and animations.

The game's writing feels very progressive and is better than most games I play today. Tons of variety in the characters and they all have unique and memorable personalities. Especially with the recent analysis over gender representation in games, I can't help but feel that The Longest Journey is perhaps more relevant than ever as a near perfect example of how to do it right.

epmode

I finally finished The Longest Journey last night. I started that game back in 2000 and got stuck on an early puzzle and never progressed. Now in 2015, I had no shame in using a guide for some of the more obtuse puzzles. And I'm really glad I revisited it. The story and characters were terrific and the art is still beautiful. April Ryan is a very well developed protagonist, the writing and voice acting really bring her to life despite the outdated character models and animations.

The game's writing feels very progressive and is better than most games I play today. Tons of variety in the characters and they all have unique and memorable personalities. Especially with the recent analysis over gender representation in games, I can't help but feel that The Longest Journey is perhaps more relevant than ever as a near perfect example of how to do it right.

Make sure you play Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters. They're even better when it comes to that stuff.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Make sure you play Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters. They're even better when it comes to that stuff.

I definitely plan to. The release of Dreamfall Chapters is what sparked my playthrough of The Longest Journey. Now onto Dreamfall!

TripleSun

Struggling on waiting for all the chapters to release for DFC before I sit down to play but it's getting hard.

I swore I would wait for the lore goodies before playing the games and I probably will just wait. I waited so many years already what's another like half year or something. I know they said play at least Book 1 before the lore audiobook etc but I really wanna have it all on my hands so I can bust a weekend on it.

Well it's not like I have a shortage of PnC games before it gets finished. I still have yet to buy TBoUT 2 or Grim Fandango for starters lol

minhta

Neo Member
Just thought I'd plug this point-and-click Kickstarter that just got underway:

Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders - A beautifully pixelated point-and-click thriller set in ancient China where you play as the legendary detective Di Renjie.

ks_FINAL_screenshots13.png

Yeah, I'll probably have to throw some money at this, it looks interesting, the pixel art is nice (though the top-down stuff looks a little out of place to my eye) and the setting intrigues me.

The campaign is making good progress. 37% funded with 18 days to go! Please support if you like point-and-click adventure games!

inm8num2

Nice review for Tormentum (Indie Gaming Mag)

Ultimately, Tormentum is a must-see. Literally, because taking a few quick looks at the screenshots should weigh plenty on anyone’s money scale for the game. Unless one finds this art style disturbing (not implausible), the deliciously dark fantasy setting with haunting music remains memorable for a while. Its visuals speak stronger than its words, and all-together packages an experience that’s hard to miss, even if slightly imperfect.

I was looking over that list of GAF's favorite adventures games from the years 2000 to 2005 and couldn't help but think how sorry it was and then realized that I don't think those years were very strong for adventure games. Now I might be getting some games mixed up with the year they came out, and to be honest I didn't play a whole lot of them during that period because I was burnt out on games as a whole, but am I correct in thinking that there just wasn't many noteworthy adventure games at that time?

The Longest Journey and Syberia definitely belong on there. I would add the first Runaway game but I know that not many people are a fan of those games. And Samorost really deserves a spot but it's not a well know game in the genre so it's understandable that it wouldn't appear.

Edit: I forgot that Samorost 2 also came out during that period.

inm8num2

Others that come to mind from 2000-2005:

Myst IV: Revelation
Still Life
The Black Mirror
Broken Sword 3
Myst III: Exile

Others that come to mind from 2000-2005:

Myst IV: Revelation
Still Life
The Black Mirror
Broken Sword 3
Myst III: Exile
Great additions, also Runaway A Road Adventure is a good one. Some of my other favorites from the era:

Post Mortem
NIBIRU

It was an especially difficult five years for the genre. Almost completely dead in the States, it was being supported by publishers like Microids, The Adventure Company, Deep Silver, and other smaller European companies. We got lucky and saw a reemergence of genre concepts as the PS3/360 generation picked up, and Steam started becoming more and more of a staple. And now there are more adventure games releasing per year since.

So you may not have the best of the genre in those years but there is certainly enough that do a solid job that aren't on that list.

inm8num2

Caught this interview with Al Lowe from r/Games.

http://www.nodontdie.com/al-lowe/

One of the best interviews about Sierra's demise and the state of the industry I've ever read. Seriously, take 10 minutes to read this. The details about Sierra's "hostile takeover by criminals" are in the beginning and too depressing to post here. :(

A few other snippets:

So I guess my thinking is that the big problems came when game developers lost control of their companies. The Broderbund guys were programmers and gamers and developers. Ken was. Quite a few of the other -- Activision was founded by a game player, and Accolade. A lot of other companies were founded by guys who knew games and as long as they were in charge, it seemed like things were better. But when gradually their companies hired professional management -- professional managers love spreadsheets and they loved evidence, because they didn't have gut feelings that said, "Yeah, that's a great idea! Yeah, that'll sell! People will love that! Look at that!" Instead, they would say, "Well, what are the numbers here? How do we compare this? What are your comparables?"

I think one problem was that in the early days games -- you know what an auteur is in the movie business, right? It's a director who has the vision and maybe writes the script or certainly oversees the script and the entire project from beginning to end. It's his vision. It's his statement. The film is his vision. I think there's a problem with that now because games no longer have that.

So I guess what my point there was -- I didn't mean to digress. The difference was that we had the opportunity to envision a game in our minds and take it through to fruition without any committee or market research or comparables or all that other stuff that everybody nowadays feels is critical.

Spot on. These thoughts and the discussion they spark are probably worth their own thread.

inm8num2

That's true for big budget productions, but smaller stuff is still closer to a singular vision.

That's precisely what he's talking about - big budget productions and how they changed over the years, losing the singular vision that 80s and early 90s Sierra developers like himself enjoyed. Lowe even discusses indie games and his recent LSL remake:

But it's just such a competitive environment and there's this ocean of product out there. I'm amazed that any game makes any money at all because there's just so many.

I guess the real truth is that one percent are hits and maybe five percent make a profit and the other 95 percent either break even or lose money. That's a tough way to make a living.

It's a dichotomy in how big budget (large teams, no singular vision) and small budget or independent (small teams, singular vision) productions differ. When Low mentions games lacking that creative vision, he's mainly talking about the big budget productions. From elsewhere in the interview:

So as games changed over the years, we first added graphics people because that was an obvious weakness. We then added writers. We added musicians. We added voice over talent. We added composers. Things grew over the years. But I think the big projects today are often run by hundreds of people, created by hundreds of people, and it's very difficult to get that individual vision when you're managing so much data and so many creators. So I would say that people probably don't understand just how difficult it is to bring a game to market and how expensive it is.

RETRO magazine Issue 6 (newest) has a feature on the resurgence of Adventure games/point-and-click with some good overviews, and interviews with Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick. Gotta check it out, people.

TripleSun

For Steam, along with Valiant Hearts on a super sale now, the Broken Sword games are all on a sale too.

Broken Sword: Director's Cut - $1.99
Broken Sword 2 - $2.39
Broken Sword 3 - $2.39
Broken Sword 4 - $3.99
Broken Sword 5 - $9.99

The bundle for the first three games is $3.99 if bought together so that's cheap as well.

Sakwoff

For Steam, along with Valiant Hearts on a super sale now, the Broken Sword games are all on a sale too.

Broken Sword: Director's Cut - $1.99
Broken Sword 2 - $2.39
Broken Sword 3 - $2.39
Broken Sword 4 - $3.99
Broken Sword 5 - $9.99

The bundle for the first three games is $3.99 if bought together so that's cheap as well.

Does the Director's Cut come with the original on steam? If not I recommend getting it on GOG, even if it's way cheaper on steam. I found that the DC lessens the experience quite a bit.

The rewritten text is worse, you have jarring differences in the voices (changing actors and different recording environments in the new scenes) and the impact of the beginning is not nearly as great with the added prologue. Also the death scenes have been taken out. Which in case of Broken Sword is definitely a loss.

Currently playing Blackwell Unbound and... loving it! Just the music and the simple but effective Spritework create an amazingly strong atmosphere :)

Also: At first i was bummed at the very beginning when i heard the female protagonist's voice and thought "Damnit why'd they have to replace the voice actress from the first game?" when i realized that
It was her MOTHER, and not her, and we're in the past!!
: kinda blew my mind a lil :)

inm8num2

I've been making my way through Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes. It's pretty easy and lacks the sometimes overwhelming interactivity of The Breakout, but I'm loving it. HNE is pretty damn dark...sometimes I'm not sure if I should laugh, but I can't help it. This game is morbid to the point of absurdity in some parts, in a good way.

If there were ever to be a third game in this series, I'd love for it to be somewhere in the middle of the first two entries gameplay-wise. I liked The Breakout but it was a pain in the ass to backtrack in that game. HNE is almost too streamlined and loses much of the charm that came from trying all the item and interaction combinations.

Mr_Zombie

Also: At first i was bummed at the very beginning when i heard the female protagonist's voice and thought "Damnit why'd they have to replace the voice actress from the first game?" when i realized that

Aunt. Lauren is Rosa's aunt ;)

epmode

Currently playing Blackwell Unbound and... loving it! Just the music and the simple but effective Spritework create an amazingly strong atmosphere :)

Lauren's voice actor is kind of amazing.

I really enjoyed it, great PnC game. Besides all the obvious stuff a trailer would convey (graphics, art, comedic tone, theme) I enjoyed the story quite a bit as well. There are some interesting themes and character developments. Have you played the other two? I liked the trailer for this game enough to buy all three and don't regret it. I'd recommend playing the first game beforehand (if you haven't played it already) so you get familiar with all the characters and know how they came to being in the positions they are to start this game. There are actually references to the prequel, Critter Chronicles too but they are insignificant and only really there as a cool nod or laugh. The prequel is like a mini side story and could be avoided unless you enjoy the others a lot or really enjoy Nate and Critter's Han Solo and Chewbacca dynamic and want to see how they met.

Top Bottom