• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

Next year the 10 a clock spot will belong to Larry now?

Sure seems like it would make sense to move Larry's show up now that Jon Stewart is leaving. Otherwise it would kind of be a douchey move to leave Larry stranded there at 1130....

Crud

Banned
I enjoyed the 70's Larry skit. The free range tagging your kid parenting shit is crazy. People are so fucking paranoid when it comes to kids these days it too much.

Very balanced panel on parenting. Keep it 100 was cringe free. The question was brutal though lol.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sure seems like it would make sense to move Larry's show up now that Jon Stewart is leaving. Otherwise it would kind of be a douchey move to leave Larry stranded there at 1130....

I'd hope the Daily Show doesn't die just because Stewart is leaving. It did fine with Oliver at the helm, and it'd do fine with someone else there too. Most of the most classic Daily Show segments were juxtapositioning politician's quotes against one another, and I bet it's not Stewart sitting in the editing room skimming through the thousands of hours of archived footage.

It's not like the Colbert Report where the whole thing was centered around the character of Colbert.

Crud

Banned
I'd hope the Daily Show doesn't die just because Stewart is leaving. It did fine with Oliver at the helm, and it'd do fine with someone else there too. Most of the most classic Daily Show segments were juxtapositioning politician's quotes against one another, and I bet it's not Stewart sitting in the editing room skimming through the thousands of hours of archived footage.

It's not like the Colbert Report where the whole thing was centered around the character of Colbert.

True the Daily Show will live on. I hope Larry stays for a long time as well.

DarkKyo

You know, it occurs to me that maybe the two shows could be merged after Jon leaves.

I think the Daily Show is too important a brand for Comedy Central to mess around with the structure, timeslot, or purpose like that. Especially with a project like Wilmore's which due to ratings could be in limbo for the next few years(if it lasts that long).

aliengmr

I'm going to agree that an hour long episode with a full panel. At the very least a half hour with a full panel. Similar to Maher, which I don't see a problem with.

This show seems a bit rushed and really needs to stretch out a bit.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think the Daily Show is too important a brand for Comedy Central to mess around with the structure, timeslot, or purpose like that. Especially with a project like Wilmore's which due to ratings could be in limbo for the next few years(if it lasts that long).

Is there news of the ratings for nightly show?

Crud

Banned
Both Monday and Tuesdays shows were awesome great panel on Islamophobia yesterday. This show is getting more fun and easier to watch. I'm really happy for Larry. I feel like the biggest Nightly Show fan on GAF lol.

EDIT: He went in John Travolta for that weird shit at the Oscars.

I've been enjoying the TNS a bunch honestly. I agree that the panel is the strongest part of the show. You can tell Larry is really comfortable in those situations and his comedic sense shines brightest when he can play off of others in a convo.

He's obviously got the comedic talent and I would look for the monologues to continue to improve in the coming weeks/months. They're obviously not as strong as TDS's yet but already leagues ahead of most late show's monologues.

Crud

Banned
I've been enjoying the TNS a bunch honestly. I agree that the panel is the strongest part of the show. You can tell Larry is really comfortable in those situations and his comedic sense shines brightest when he can play off of others in a convo.

He's obviously got the comedic talent and I would look for the monologues to continue to improve in the coming weeks/months. They're obviously not as strong as TDS's yet but already leagues ahead of most late show's monologues.

Agreed completely. Show is just going to get better with time.

FiggyCal

Banned
I just caught a segment by chance. Did he really let one of the guests say that America is "white supremacist" and not only was she met with applause -- but no one called her out on it. <_<

I really enjoyed the last two episodes, and I thought the all black female panel may be somewhat insightful to people who are unaware of their struggle.

I still hate the Keep It 100 segment...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This panel on the banning of words tonight really perfectly portrays the craziness of the whole debate.

You literally have 4 people to 1 arguing for the free use of words, with the platform of being on a national television show, complaining about the mean people taking away their free speech. If you're talking about it on the television or newspaper, your free speech is doing fine. In fact it's doing better than the vast majority of people out there.

Maybe there's an argument about where the line should be between people needing to be respectful in their choice of words, and people needing to stop being overly sensitive, but this panel shows that there's such a thing as being overly sensitive about being called out on twitter too. Everybody seems like a cry baby in this debate. If you got called out about something on twitter, rightfully or not, just suck it up and move on, you don't need to go on TV to complain about social media being mean to you.

davepoobond

im not understanding why they are shortening the panels. they had monday's panel for like 7 minutes only, and they had that dumb sketch last week for the ferguson police report.

Crud

Banned
Great episode. Panel was awesome tonight the gay pizza game had me rolling. Glad Nightly Show is back! :)

I haven't stuck with this show on a consistent basis. I was a daily viewer of both TDS and TCR, but with Colbert gone (still hard to swallow), I've been using the extra 30 minutes after TDS for other pursuits.

So... How is it? This thread isn't too active so it's difficult to get a consensus.

Vlad

I haven't stuck with this show on a consistent basis. I was a daily viewer of both TDS and TCR, but with Colbert gone (still hard to swallow), I've been using the extra 30 minutes after TDS for other pursuits.

So... How is it? This thread isn't too active so it's difficult to get a consensus.

Eh, I'd have a rough time recommending it. I liked Larry on TDS, but he's just not doing it for me as a host. A lot of the stuff feels forced, and it still annoys me how much he laughs at his own jokes.

FiggyCal

Banned

Not great. But I haven't been watching it consistently either. It's definitely more of a "pop" show than actual news.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Every time I see this thread bumped I think it's going to be news of cancellation.

The show is pretty awful...

So sad, I love Larry...

Korigama

Let's not kid ourselves all episodes are 'rough'. That's putting what's going on with this show kindly.
None of the others before that one have required replacing one of the panelists with a random member of the audience, though (pretty sure that was a first).

Kaiterra

Banned
Is 3 panelists going to be the norm now? I hope not. Because it looks super stilted having two guests on one side and one guest opposite them, like that one guest is being singled out.

The death panel episode was cringe and not in a funny-awkward way. It was awkwardly infuriating.

This show had a week of good episodes then it went back straight to being utterly mediocre to just bad. This isn't the Larry Wilmore I signed up for.

I really like panel shows like this for some reason, even though I can't stand normal punditry. Maybe because it is moderated by and generally includes comedians?

I wish they'd skip the top part and leave that to the Daily Show. Just make this the new Tough Crowd.

Yup. The panel is the only compelling part of the show, but it's way too reductive as is.

Ecotic

I gave this show a chance, but it's plain to see now it's pretty bad. He invites panelists on who don't have anything insightful to add to the subject at hand, and often aren't that smart in general, like the guy who said Tsarnaev should be forced to have a sex change and raped in prison. The opening segment is like the opening of The Daily Show, just half as good. Wilmot himself isn't all that sharp intellectually and not that talented.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I gave this show a chance, but it's plain to see now it's pretty bad. He invites panelists on who don't have anything insightful to add to the subject at hand, and often aren't that smart in general,
Agreed. Even the panels are insipid as hell, and not even always that funny.

I really want to like the show, but it's just not doing it for me. Stopped watching a few weeks ago.

like the guy who said Tsarnaev should be forced to have a sex change and raped in prison.
Wait what? Urrrgh... even if I'm missing the context, you know what, I don't want to know...

davepoobond

The death panel one was awful, the sex change thing was kinda weirdly framed.

The 3 person panel is also a little weird, seems like they made the table able to accompany 4 but make it not look awkward if they only had 2 if they started having a tough time getting people on the show.

The replacement of one of the panels with an audience member was super weird. Anyone think that lady just didnt like the discussion at all and wanted nothing more to do with it?

Zeliard

The show's quality has dipped immensely, and it was never notably great. I think the biggest problem is Larry Wilmore himself. Frankly, he just doesn't seem nearly as politically savvy nor as satirically potent as Stewart and Colbert were. This really shines through in some of the roundtable discussions, such as the death penalty one.

The replacement of one of the panels with an audience member was super weird. Anyone think that lady just didnt like the discussion at all and wanted nothing more to do with it?

That was my impression as well. She was the only person on the panel discussing the subject with any nuance and intelligence, and you could clearly see her annoyance at that other guy's idiotic "sex change" comments.

Diablos

The show's quality has dipped immensely, and it was never notably great. I think the biggest problem is Larry Wilmore himself. Frankly, he just doesn't seem nearly as politically savvy nor as satirically potent as Stewart and Colbert were. This really shines through in some of the roundtable discussions, such as the death penalty one.
He went from bad to worse. I agree.

I think the major problem is that although he's a nice guy and can be funny at times, he's really bad at interviewing and facilitating roundtable discussions/debates. He understands politics/events/subjects but can't connect the dots with the audience and often his guests. He gets too nervous and he can never get the conversation to just land in a decent place, no matter what the topic is. It's very annoying and you can tell that sometimes his guests are wondering how the hell he has a show.

I wanted to keep giving him a chance but I really think CC needs to pull the plug. It's hard to fill Colbert's shoes, but Wilmore was just a bad choice.

davepoobond

definitely, it feels more like he doesn't actually understand or care (less important, but I digress) too much about the issues he's talking about. I felt more passion from him during his march madness dare stuff than anything else, and that's kind of sad.

That was my impression as well. She was the only person on the panel discussing the subject with any nuance and intelligence, and you could clearly see her annoyance at that other guy's idiotic "sex change" comments.

Part of the problem is the show frames itself as semi-serious(?) a la Daily Show and maybe even John Oliver's show, but they keep having comedians on pairing with these people who actually know about stuff or politicians, etc. The comedians don't usually seem to be involved with or care about the issues that much either, usually, so they'll make jokes like the sex change thing or whatever the fuck to show people they are funny so they can get people to follow them etc.

they need to choose comedians, if they do, that actually care about the subject at hand and aren't like "sure, my schedule is free, i'll go on." That's what their "staff" correspondents are for IMO, and it would at least give some sort of consistency to the show to learn about opinions of people who may consistently appear on the show and are invested in the SHOW rather than trying to promote themselves. i dont want some numbskull audience member everyday on the show. maybe once a week at most for that

anyway, thats probably more thought than this show deserves right now. I'll still watch it so that when it gets canceled i can see something like this fail.

also, i dont know what's going on behind the scenes, but when you have your lead show writer featured on the show on the panel and/or as an actor (as the frat boy on wall street which wasnt very funny) it seems like they're having issues larger than what we can see from our end.

Apt101

Just watched an episode from a few days ago. I cringed just about everytime Scarface opened his mouth. What a corny dude.

The water situation in Baltimore is pretty complex. The panel didn't discuss the issue with any depth. As I understand it prices were increased for a number of reasons, one being changes needed to satisfy EPA regulations for sewage drainage, another some kind of much needed sewage system overhaul. Baltimore County had been shouldering the burden of water cost increases for many years while the city refused to. Instead of taking some kind of approach that would increase costs in the city over a long period of time and perhaps subsidize some of it with other taxes, they instead began jacking up costs rapidly. So now 25k poor people who can't pay a bill that has increased by nearly 50% are going to be living without water - which is just a preposterous scenario for a major city in the richest country in the world.

Larry Wilmore did hit on one important fact though: outstanding commercial debts are going unenforced while residential properties are being cut off. Pretty shitty.

undrtakr900

Agree with everything you said.

My biggest issue with TNS is that Larry just doesn't have the charisma/wit/charm of Stewart, Colbert or Oliver to lead a show (even though i loved him on TDS).

Larry usually speaks in the same motonous voice when talking regular or delivering punch lines. Which is why many of his jokes fall flat during the opening segments. He needs to be more dynamic, cause he seems really stiff, especially when he's dancing.

Also they need to revamp their roundtable guest selection, the only genuine good one was the "black women" panel because they were genuinely passionate about the topic. The rest have been okay to bad to horrible("sex change operation L0L!!")
They should hire 1-3 permanent roundtable guest and have only 1 interchanging panel-guest.of.the.day (someone who has an actual interest/passion about the topic, with something more to say than a cheap joke for laughs.)

eDIt:
That format was so much better. I kinda feel the best format would be a discussion panel for the Daily Show topic on before, actually.
I just really miss that whole Stewart/Colbert dynamic, where Jon would cover an issue/topic then Stephen would do the exact same segment, except with a faux conservative tone.

Apt101

Yea, I was comparing TNS to Real Time, and noticed that Real Time often has at least one guest on who is well informed about the subject they're discussing. Often two, and they'll differ politically. TNS often stacks their panel with entertainers or writers of the show. The writers and funny and charming and all, but it often leads to discussions that aren't stimulating at all.

I agree, the back woman panel was by far the best. The only one in which the guests were informed, topical, and passionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom