• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Sony is Under Major Pressure to Cut the Price of the Vita or Risk a Major Failure”

patsu

I don't think what we saw today is the launch lineup. They are just games that have not been shown before. Not sure if western titles will sell well in Japan. They are probably more important for US + Europe launch next year. Sony can show them there I guess, when they are more ready.

The launch line up should be shown in TGS.

It is also important to demonstrate visible differences between Vita games and other portable games.

Sony still hasn't really redefine handheld gaming. I suspect the press is looking for killer features. The available RAM should enable interesting development though.

Jin34

Truth101 said:
Hand-helds are driven by support from Japanese developers
Having a healthy and large user-base in Japan are key to gaining that support. That support will help drive sales in the other regions. Not that I am saying western support is worthless, it just isnt key.

Well it almost is worthless due to the fact that they just don't really support handhelds so they make themselves worthless.

DangerousDave said:
The funny stuff is that you didn't even know that PSP launched at 20k yens in Japan (or at least, it wasn't your argument). You were defending a few posts before that the fact that PSV will be more expensive in Japan is because of the difference of the dollar-yen change between 2004 and 2011 (185$ vs 315$), like if the people in Japan got their salaries in dollars. When I said about the PSP core version, you forgot your previous argument and you stuck with the PSP Core was cheaper argument like a burning nail.

It's funny to you because it's not even close to being true and you seem to not be understanding the posts. I apologize for the misunderstanding if English isn't your first language. I've been wondering why you are arguing facts all day long. One guy asked what the PSP launched at and I told him then put it into $USD to make more sense since many people want to know what it is in their currency rather than the exact price in that region. That $185 amount for the Japanese PSP came from an IGN and Gamespot article written at the time. I didn't just make the number up. I would have posted the yen first, I don't care. You seem to be blowing this up way more than it should be since you can't admit the fact that the Vita is launching at a higher cost than the PSP. I have no clue what you are arguing as I'm stating facts while you are spinning what I don't know.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6111570/psp-hitting-japan-on-december-12-for-185

The PSP launched at a cheaper price than the Vita will in Japan using yen, dollars, pounds, euros... it doesn't matter. Fact remains the PSP was a cheaper price at launch. No difference of what kind of money stated is going to change that so please just stop posting about it.

Curufinwe said:
I don't know why you can't accept that Japan is just one territory, not the whole world.

Of course, but Japan is first. If you wanted a PSP the very first day it was on sale, that was the price you paid regardless of where you lived. I'm counting the first day the system is on sale. It sucks that your region (and mine) got hosed with the forced "value" pack but that doesn't mean everyone did. You could have bought a core PSP in December 04 if you wanted it.

The blanket statement that the PSP launched at $250 should end since it was only that price in certain regions and some would argue that it *shouldn't* have been that much since we were not given the option like Japan to buy just the unit which, I'm sure many consumers would have.

Curufinwe

OldJadedGamer said:
The PSP launched at a cheaper price than the Vita will in Japan using yen, dollars, pounds, euros... it doesn't matter. Fact remains the PSP was a cheaper price at launch. No difference of what kind of money stated is going to change that so please just stop posting about it.

Of course, but Japan is first. If you wanted a PSP the very first day it was on sale, that was the price you paid regardless of where you lived. I'm counting the first day the system is on sale. It sucks that your region (and mine) got hosed with the forced "value" pack but that doesn't mean everyone did. You could have bought a core PSP in December 04 if you wanted it.

The blanket statement that the PSP launched at $250 should end since it was only that price in certain regions and some would argue that it *shouldn't* have been that much since we were not given the option like Japan to buy just the unit which, I'm sure many consumers would have.

If you lived outside of Japan, you had to pay extra to import it. The launch price in Japan was only relevant to people living in Japan and a small number of hardcore gamers who didn't mind paying over the odds.

iceatcs

Thanks god for wifi support on lower standard model, it mean I can use 4G network on my Vita.

Just use 4g dongle with wifi & battery whenever it ready (so far there is 3G)

theBishop said:
Is GTA niche? Is Call of Duty niche?

I'm not sure what your point is here. Call of Duty and GTA are mass market games oriented towards casual (in the traditional sense) purchasers. That is what gets you a large install base. A "focused and dedicated userbase" = a userbase that doesn't buy these big titles or support huge blockbusters = Saturn/Dreamcast/PSP-post-2007 = death.

iamshadowlark said:
Sony has no reason to lie. These are western games and its not due out west for a good while. I'd be surprised if those titles didn't make their way to the platform in some way. To say they are nothing but bullet points implies that sony would have some rhyme or reason to deceive us.
I'm not saying I'm certain that those three titles will never see the light of day on Vita. And if they didn't, Sony wouldn't be lying, any more than they lied about RE Portable in 2009, or Nintendo lied about Saint's Row: Drive-By and AC: Lost Legacy in 2010.

What I am saying is that such substance-free announcements of handheld spinoffs of big-name console IP have a very checkered history, and until there's substantive news, it's best to take them with a grain of salt. And there's reason for skepticism about more than whether these games will ever ship; considering the recent track record of their publishers on dedicated handhelds, such titles are as likely to turn out like AC:Bloodlines as they are like GTA: LCS. Probably more likely, I'd say.

neptunes

charlequin said:
I'm not sure what your point is here. Call of Duty and GTA are mass market games oriented towards casual (in the traditional sense) purchasers. That is what gets you a large install base. A "focused and dedicated userbase" = a userbase that doesn't buy these big titles or support huge blockbusters = Saturn/Dreamcast/PSP-post-2007 = death.
I was thinking more along the lines of mass-market games like wii-fit, just dance, brain age, carnival games etc....

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
pharmboy044 said:
I guess we have to wait until TGS for some RPG announcements.

When is TGS again? September 15?
Yes.
Sony really need to pull out all the stops and wow people at TGS. GC was such a disappointment.

OldJadedGamer said:

Not arguing the facts. Arguing your conclusion that Vita will fail worldwide because Japanese won't have the 20k Core version of PSP.

charlequin said:
This is basically the line of thought people ran with about the 3DS price, too, and that very much did not play out in their favor.

Well, the 3DS price was increased because of the hype, and not looking for benefits in a middle term, compensating the loss of the hardware with the gains of the average software sold. 3DS price was wanted to have as much benefits as possible by unit sold in day1. There is a middle term between being too greed and selling a hardware at a price that, even with the licenses of software, it will be a complete loss.

mclem

iamshadowlark said:
Sony has no reason to lie. These are western games and its not due out west for a good while. I'd be surprised if those titles didn't make their way to the platform in some way. To say they are nothing but bullet points implies that sony would have some rhyme or reason to deceive us.

"GT Mobile will be out for the PSP AT LAUNCH!"

DangerousDave said:
Not arguing the facts. Arguing your conclusion that Vita will fail worldwide because Japanese won't have the 20k Core version of PSP.

If that is what you think my conclusion is by reading my posts then you are hugely misunderstanding the conversation and I can't reply to you if you don't understand what I'm typing. Have a good day.

Jokeropia

theBishop said:
I don't think anyone would argue selling poorly > selling well, but we saw with the Wii that remarkable hardware sales don't always translate to remarkable software sales.

The target audience does seem to make a difference in buying habits. Not too shocking.
Not this ignorant crap again. The Wii tie-ratio is only slightly behind the PS3 tie-ratio and it obviously leads the generation in total software sales by leaps and bounds.

Top Bottom