• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 images from the US version of Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata

Kabuki Waq said:
this is how it looked at TGS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEh8JZ-axBY&mode=related&search=

notice the animation?

Animation looks fairly standard for jrpgs. Not exactly impressive, not horrible either. Oh and I find it doubtful that Namco/Tri-C haven't made improvements since TGS 06.

Not sure how that excuses the screens but eh well. Reminds me of Radiata Stories in a way(great looking cut-scenes, mediocre battle graphics)

Durante

nelsonroyale said:
They dont look like souped up ps2, they look straight ps2.
This is starting to get utterly ridiculous. I've played FF12 for nearly 100 hours and the battles don't come anywhere close to that. Are you all really too numb-skulled to see the HUGE GAPING DIFFERENCE THE SIZE OF A HALLWAY between 640*480 with no AA and shitty texture filtering and 1280*720 with AA and nice filtering? I love my PS2, but this is madness.

Durante said:
This is starting to get utterly rediculous. I've played FF12 for nearly 100 hours and the battles don't come anywhere close to that. Are you all really too numb-skulled to see the HUGE GAPING DIFFERENCE THE SIZE OF A HALLWAY between 640*480 with no AA and shitty texture filtering and 1280*720 with AA and nice filtering? I love my PS2, but this is madness.

you are blind if you think that pic looks impressive...and given the hardware I find FFXII FAR more impressive than this game...and I like how this looks

peace

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Animation looks fairly standard for jrpgs. Not exactly impressive, not horrible either. Oh and I find it doubtful that Namco/Tri-C haven't made improvements since TGS 06.

Not sure how that excuses the screens but eh well. Reminds me of Radiata Stories in a way(great looking cut-scenes, mediocre battle graphics)

great looking cut scenes i dont disagree with. I just hink from all the real Gameplay movies i have seen have looked unimpressive.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Listen,

A. I am not being partisan, don't cry like a baby when people call shit out. Not everyone has ulterior motives when giving their opinions on games.

B. I know what I saw when I was at TGS. Textures were washed out and it just looked bad.

The reason I say it looks like a ps2 game cause in the battle screens there is pretty much ZERO geometry. It has got a flat ground texture and some random enemy in it and to me that might as well be PS2. The enemy might have some bump mapping or whatever on it, but still, looks like a ps2 game.

The other shots look spectacular though (despite the guy not ****ing closing his hands to hold bread what the **** is that).

rage1973

nelsonroyale said:
of that particular shot???????? Come on, ffxii battles can look much more impressive than that initial shot. I think the game looks great in motion though, and some of the battles actually look really nice. But the screens of the battles arent impressive. They dont look like souped up ps2, they look straight ps2.

Mute point anyway though, Ive seen the game in motion and I think it will be the nicest looking 360 jrpg when released

peace
Ok I am sure PS2 can do textures like these. /rollseyes. Final Fantasy XII looks blurry and jagged when you compare the 2 pics.

1099_0002.jpg

459841_20060928_screen013.jpg

rage1973 said:
Ok I am sure PS2 can do textures like these. /rollseyes. Final Fantasy XII looks blurry and jagged when you compare the 2 pics.

not impressive in the least

Well yes FFXII jaggy and blocky, though the design makes it much more impressive in that shot...and Sonata looks very poor there. Are you actually trying to say that sonata shot looks good...?

Anyway, its a rather sill discussion since Im saying the battle shots look poo...but the game mostly looks pretty in motion...so its irrelevant.

Hopefully the next batch of screens is more impressive. Seriously the forest/jungle environment is just ugly and the rather bland enemies in the shot don't help.

Dammit, im so tempted to buy a X-360 just for this awesome looking game... Now, if Namco ports this to the PS3 then my problems will be solved...

bigmit3737 said:
Yeah, your right....game looks a lot better in screenshots...

But I love this type of battle system...I think I may pick up a 360 when they are more stable..and more games are out.

blim had a vid up at TGS and it looked really nice...better than in screens actually

peace

Durante

NOW everything becomes clear to me. If people take bullshots like the one posted above for FF12 as their basis for comparison, then - together with a bit of selective blindness - one could possibly argue that TB looks somewhat like a souped-up PS2 game.

Looking at real shots, the difference is clear as day.
To make a fair comparison, I resized the FF12 shot to be the same height as the TB shot. This is exactly like FF12 looks on my HD screen. As I said before, I played it for nearly 100 hours, so I would know.
7663ff12.jpg

1099_0002.jpg

Now, I am aware that console gamers are not into IQ as much as those on the PC side of things (mainly because until recently they had low-res CRTs as their output medium), but I don't think I need to comment further on this.

FrankT

Durante said:
NOW everything becomes clear to me. If people take bullshots like the one posted above for FF12 as their basis for comparison, then - together with a bit of selective blindness - one could possibly argue that TB looks somewhat like a souped-up PS2 game.

Looking at real shots, the difference is clear as day.
To make a fair comparison, I resized the FF12 shot to be the same height as the TB shot. This is exactly like FF12 looks on my HD screen. As I said before, I played it for nearly 100 hours, so I would know.
7663ff12.jpg

1099_0002.jpg

Now, I am aware that console gamers are not into IQ as much as those on the PC side of things (mainly because until recently they had low-res CRTs as their output medium), but I don't think I need to comment further on this.

There is no comparison, it is clear as day and anyone who says otherwise are fooling themselves. Nuff said.

antiloop

Eternal Sonata clearly looks better but my copy of FFXII doesn't look nearly as jaggy on my SDTV as that resized picture.

Kosma

Banned
sp0rsk said:
FF12 looks better there.

No it looks half the resolution. When blown up on a screen it looks way worse.

There is this guy on the IGN Wii forum, DR.TRE who post 320x240 shots of Metroid and argues they look as good as Lost Planet. This discussion reminds me of that.

Pellham

Banned
you people are idiots for bitching about the graphics. like that's all that matters in an RPG or something. ugh.

anyway this game looks like teh kiddie, so i will probably avoid.

Danj

antiloop said:
Eternal Sonata clearly looks better but my copy of FFXII doesn't look nearly as jaggy on my SDTV as that resized picture.

Are you using a composite cable? If you are, that might be why.. most people who report this issue are using component or RGB SCART.

DCX

DCX
sp0rsk said:
I see you are in the PC defense force, perhaps you should buy a PS2. You'll find a lot of games that look like that.
Dark Cloud 2 with a little polish. Still looks fantastic though.

DCX

sp0rsk said:
He wasn't the only one who thought it looked like a DC game, cause at TGS it did.

Anyway, the translation seems pretty crap

"Come and buy some of Tenuto's famous floral powder! It works very well! Please give it a try!!"

No one talks like this.
Only in JRPG's my friend. :D
Nice graphics. Best cell shading confirmed?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I wish the game was fully cel-shaded, this seems more like Dark Cloud 2, with the black outlines on characters rather than actual cel-shading. Not to mention the environments...

Actually, let's talk about the environments. Looks very clean and fit for a 360 game. But the backgrounds during battles look so drab and empty. And I think they stand out more because the non-battle parts look so bright and colorful. Character design is cute, maybe a bit too cute.

Hope it turns out good though, but it's not exactly my most anticipated RPG.

M3d10n

It's no point arguing about the graphics: some people give way too much weight into resolution and sharpness and cannot see beyond it.

It reminds me of the people who sweared on their lives that the graphics in Evolution on Dreamcast automatically looked better than FFIX on the PSOne because of the higher screen and texture res.

Hey! Let's post PS2 screenshots at 320x240 to hide all the awful texturing and compare them to HD screengrabs and argue they look better! We're so damn clever, I can't get my head around it! :lol

Durante

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Why is this game being compared to FFXII visually?
Because some people started saying that FF12 battles look just like it? But you're right, it's hopeless. I'd say that the best comparison on PS2 is probably Rogue Galaxy. The rendering styles are very similar. And TB looks closer to RG's CG cutscenes than to its gameplay.

Meier

sp0rsk said:
FF12 looks better there.

I like ya sporks, but this is asinine. I put in a LOT of time in FFXII and enjoyed the hell out of it, but it's not a pretty looking game by today's standards. Nice locales, but to compare its graphics to something like Trusty Bell is beyond ludicrous. It's like comparing a VHS tape to an HD DVD or Blu Ray grab. Yes, the jump is that significant.

I'm completely stoked for this.. hope we get it sometime in 2007, but I'm not holding my breath.

theREBELins said:
Grafix whores

wait but i thought everyone thought i was crazy when i mentioned the graphics sucked in motion? now i posted a youtube video of actual gameplay and i am a graphics whore?

wtf?

From the artistic standpoint, it's of course open to opinion. I prefer the look of Trusty Bell to FFXII, because I'm a sucker for beautiful, surrealistic dreamworlds. Others think differently. Hey, no problem.

But from a technical perspective, Trusty Bell is the clear winner over FFXII. Saying FFXII looks better is just completely beyond the grasp of reason.

Hunahan

Banned
Although I still have my doubts about the battle system (as I do with most Namco RPGs), the graphics here are certainly good enough for me. I really am beginning to feel sorry for the sorts that can't seem to do anything but complain about every single screenshot that gets floated these days. Talk about glass half empty.

Thanks for the hook-up, Blim.

Blimblim said:

doesnt look girly at all. Good looking and groomed =/= girly

Anyway, this thread has become all kinds of stupid (with my aid (through the truth I have spoken hah)). SO lets get back to talking about this game, instead of getting defensive and knee jerk (feel like being a patronising **** today)

interested in seeing some of the games other locals

peace

Hunahan said:
Although I still have my doubts about the battle system (as I do with most Namco RPGs), the graphics here are certainly good enough for me. I really am beginning to feel sorry for the sorts that can't seem to do anything but complain about every single screenshot that gets floated these days. Talk about glass half empty.

Thanks for the hook-up, Blim.

Screen do look great. Game looks like crap in MOTION. All these ppl creaming their pants because of the graphics are insane if they still feel the same way after watching it in motion....the way the chracter runs and turns is PSX level.

IJoel

Ugh... it's good game after good game this year.

Without much thinking, I want these:

Forza 2
Virtua Tennis 3
Too Human
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Eternal Sonata
Blue Dragon
Assassin's Creed
Halo 3
Heavenly Sword
Ninja Gaiden Sigma