• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 images from the US version of Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata

Very good looking. I don't mind battles looking worse than the rest of the game if the battle system is as good (as fast, awesome, flashy too) as Tales series.

About multiplatform, well, there are some things that might make you think it could be ported (no exclusive logos, unannounced RPG for PS3) and some other that make you think it won't (its not announced, its Tri-Crescendo which is a small team and they didn't port Baten Kaitos which was in a pretty similar situation). Time will tell.

bloke

Kabuki Waq said:
I think it really has to do with the fact that i dont play JRPGs so much. I just really liked the trailer for this game and kept an Eye on it. Until the bitter dissapointment of gameplay videos i have seen.

If ff12 has the same crap animation then **** that too. No excuse for having such horrible Animation is this day and age.
No excuse for being that ignorant either, so you haven't played FF12, you hardly play JRPGs, you haven't played Trusty Bell obviously either or seen it first hand, but you go on arguing about crap animation based on gameplay videos of in-development TGS built of the game and comparing it to other games in genre you never played or cared anyway? Awesome. :lol

Anyway, watching TGS videos animation obviously needs some polishing, but overall it's not much better or worse from the majority of JRPGs last 5 years or so.

CO_Andy

If anything i'd say Trusty needs to have less detail if it's gonna be cel-shaded. Take a look at the Idol Master -->

imas18.jpg

imas17.jpg

1099_0009.jpg

Durante

They're not really going for full cell-shading, but rather the Level 5 look. Personally I believe that's a good decision for an RPG. On the one hand it allows more details in the character designs, and on the other hand the characters mesh more naturally with the mostly conventionally rendered backgrounds this way.

God this game is beautiful.
oh and the FFXII comparisons are just ridiculous, especially if we're talking about IQ and not just overall visuals. FFXII looks shit IQ wise compared to this, doesn't mean it wasn't one of the prettiest last gen games, but I'm glad I didn't have my new tv when it came out.

bloke said:
No excuse for being that ignorant either, so you haven't played FF12, you hardly play JRPGs, you haven't played Trusty Bell obviously either or seen it first hand, but you go on arguing about crap animation based on gameplay videos of in-development TGS built of the game and comparing it to other games in genre you never played or cared anyway? Awesome. :lol

Anyway, watching TGS videos animation obviously needs some polishing, but overall it's not much better or worse from the majority of JRPGs last 5 years or so.

Why do i need to play FFX12 or any other RPGS to realize the animation is CRAP? The Animation is Crap based on the Videos out there. Obviously they may not be crap upon release but from the videos i have seen animation looks like crap. If the Animation is the same in all JPRGS than the ANIMATION is all Jrpgs is Crap.

On a technical level this looks like a PS2 game running on an emulator, but thanks to the quality of the art its one of the best looking next-gen games IMO. Further proof of diminishing returns in next gen consoles?

madara

Aokage said:
"I'm not afraid of dying from the illness, mom. It's just, well, I'm just sad that, no matter what I do, I can't make any friends."

Lines like this make me think I should get back into the game translation business. I thought with the rise of people like Alexander O. Smith and whoever did Tales of the Abyss this stuff was over and done with.

Still, the game looks absolutely stunning. Non-realistic rendering FTW.

Yet games still reads better then the last 3 Tales of games combined.

Aokage said:
"I'm not afraid of dying from the illness, mom. It's just, well, I'm just sad that, no matter what I do, I can't make any friends."

Lines like this make me think I should get back into the game translation business. I thought with the rise of people like Alexander O. Smith and whoever did Tales of the Abyss this stuff was over and done with.

The localization does look a bit clunky right now, but I'd withhold judgment on that for now (especially since we only have a few screens). Devs sometimes use placeholder text for early builds.

I'll naturally agree with you on Alex O. Smith, but you thought Tales of the Abyss' localization was good? The voice acting was pretty solid, sure, and the text was grammatically correct and typo-free, but I thought there were way too many stilted "direct translation" moments -- I shouldn't be able to tell what the original Japanese was without even seeing it. I never get that feeling when I'm playing through a Treehouse localization, for example.

icecream

Public Health Threat
This game, expeicially in the dark, solo, battle shots, look bland and sparce, but that doesn't mean it's instantly on the level of FFXII or something. It looks nice. It looks nicer than what we currently see on the PS2/Xbox. Can't we just agree and leave it at that?

v1cious said:
when did i say every RPG sells 500,000? this particular title has three of the biggest names in Japan attached to it (Toriyama, Uematsu, Sakaguchi) and had massive hype. are you honestly gonna tell me this game wouldn't have sold way better on something like the Ps3 , Ps2 or DS? i don't even know why this is debatable.
The point is it's a new RPG IP. Even with 'known' people, how many brand new games out the gate sell 500K only in Japan? Did Chrono Trigger? Did Vakyrie Profile? The point is no matter the console, gamers aren't going to buy into a new RPG in masses.

And the possibility of it hitting close to 1 million worldwide is very likely.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
LoathsomeCorpse said:
The localization does look a bit clunky right now, but I'd withhold judgment on that for now (especially since we only have a few screens). Devs sometimes use placeholder text for early builds.

Having worked on several JRPG translations, there was never a situation where text would actually be compiled and put into a build before the translation was final. But who knows...

LoathsomeCorpse said:
I'll naturally agree with you on Alex O. Smith, but you thought Tales of the Abyss' localization was good? The voice acting was pretty solid, sure, and the text was grammatically correct and typo-free, but I thought there were way too many stilted "direct translation" moments -- I shouldn't be able to tell what the original Japanese was without even seeing it. I never get that feeling when I'm playing through a Treehouse localization, for example.

I haven't played Abyss in English, but everyone I know seemed to rave about its translation. Perhaps they were referring to the voice acting.

Yeah, Nintendo localizations are always top class. I was a little disappointed with the English media I saw for Twilight Princess, though. The character dialogue was surprisingly dry compared to the Japanese.

clashfan

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Absolutely pathetic.
Thankfully I've stopped looking forward to games so you clowns aren't ruining my day! Haha!

I think it's mostly fanboys that are derailing this thread. Any exclusive game thread we attract the trolls...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Durante said:
This is starting to get utterly ridiculous. I've played FF12 for nearly 100 hours and the battles don't come anywhere close to that. Are you all really too numb-skulled to see the HUGE GAPING DIFFERENCE THE SIZE OF A HALLWAY between 640*480 with no AA and shitty texture filtering and 1280*720 with AA and nice filtering? I love my PS2, but this is madness.
No, this is SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

bluemax

Banned
LegatoB said:
I don't actually expect this game to be any good, but man, sometimes it looks really pretty. And the battle system gives me occasional Dragon Quarter vibes. I'll probably get suckered into renting or buying it when it comes out, then bitching about how bad it is all over the Internet, like whenever I pick up a Tales game.

The battle system looks more like a Tales game than a Dragon Quarter game to me. I don't see any evidence of the strategy of a DQ fight in that. Sorry.

Tokubetsu

I'm def. checking this out when we get a us release. Here's to hoping for jp dub with english subtitles like blue dragon!

IoCaster

Nice screens. I like the artistic style. Doesn't look like my type of game, but cool nonetheless.

Wow, I mean WTF? These screens got trolled pretty damn quick here. The unfair criticism swept through here like some kind of pestilence. Just damn!

Aokage said:
I haven't played Abyss in English, but everyone I know seemed to rave about its translation. Perhaps they were referring to the voice acting.

No, the writing was fantastic as well. Very distinct and believable "voices" for each character, sentences that parse seamlessly in English, humor and meaning carrying through effectively. Near the top of the list, jRPG translation-wise, though below Baten Kaitos Origins.

Takuhi

I totally agree with charlequin about the quality of the Abyss translation. The script for the voiced parts was fantastic—it's really rare that you hear humor that works in a translated game. You certainly don't ever find that in Nintendo Treehouse games.

Bildi

Looks pretty.

And it's easy to relate to character who has a terminal interest but is more worried about a lack of friends.

Sale +1.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Yeah, at TGS, this game's environments looked nice, but the battle scenes (now, after thinking about it) were the real "stinkers." Visually, they looked like a PS2 game. I say this with the utmost certainty.

Of course, the cutscenes and the town sections looked nice, but for some reason, the battles cenes stuck with me and I just regarded the entire game as being graphically equivalent to a Dreamcast title.

This is not true. Like I said, this thread refreshed my memory and I will say that it's the battles that look so horrible.

It's odd. Why are the battle environments so empty? I'm sure with a few fancy camera angles, they could totally turn that around, but likely, that won't happen. The environments are so...empty and bland during the battle sequences.

GreekWolf

Obviously, everyone has a right to their opinion... but the problem I have with Sp0rsk is that every time he jumps into a 360 thread to badmouth the game/hardware, it allows trolls like Arcader to hitch a ride behind him and take their own shots, which in turn f*cks up the entire thread for everyone.

Yeah, we get it Sp0rsk. 360 games are unimaginative, technologically-inferior and generally look like PS2 games. So why not simply avoid these threads in the future, instead of serving as a catalyst for free-for-all trolling, and just leave us lowly gajin to wallow in our Microsoft misery. :lol

mugwhump

'However, if he comes to think that the world he's in on the other side is the true reality then...'
Ack, if the ending involves some kind of collectice consciousness gimmick I will eat myself.

mugwhump said:
'However, if he comes to think that the world he's in on the other side is the true reality then...'
Ack, if the ending involves some kind of collectice consciousness gimmick I will eat myself.

Oh, he's probably going to cross over to 'the other side' and live a long and happy life in that surrealistic dreamworld.

I wouldn't mind a vacation to that place, myself.

mugwhump

aaaargh colleEECTIVE COUNSCIOUSNESSASKJFASSSSSSASAKAFJSFMA'C]09-=WEFROI

CO_Andy said:
If anything i'd say Trusty needs to have less detail if it's gonna be cel-shaded. Take a look at the Idol Master -->

imas18.jpg

imas17.jpg
Holy poop! :O
I thought trust bell was pretty good looking, but those just blew me away.

icecream

Public Health Threat
What? A lot of the audition stages have a lot of effects running in the background... smoke, lighting, particle effects.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GreekWolf said:
Obviously, everyone has a right to their opinion... but the problem I have with Sp0rsk is that every time he jumps into a 360 thread to badmouth the game/hardware, it allows trolls like Arcader to hitch a ride behind him and take their own shots, which in turn f*cks up the entire thread for everyone.

Yeah, we get it Sp0rsk. 360 games are unimaginative, technologically-inferior and generally look like PS2 games. So why not simply avoid these threads in the future, instead of serving as a catalyst for free-for-all trolling,

I simply defended someones TGS opinions. I even went in and said the game looks awesome in other screen shots. If I was here or not people would have said the combat screens look bad, fact.

and just leave us lowly gajin to wallow in our Microsoft misery. :lol

This kind of shit is uncalled for.

DCharlie

Banned
There are shots that look totally next gen, and then there are shots like the one quoted above which seriously just look like a ps2 game, and this isn't hyperbole.

yes, but in motion at TGS it looked VERY good indeed - and the original contention from Shane was it looked like a Dreamcast game... which i agree in some shots does look to be the case, but in motion on the floor it looked very nice indeed.

to be quite frank, IMO, anyone suggesting that the rolling TGS footage was DCast quality was huffing glue/drunk on Sony juice at the time

Anyways, back to the game - it's good that the X360 is getting at least some Japanese style RPGs - the complexion of X360 support is getting better (although they have a looong way to go)

Top Bottom