• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 images from the US version of Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was looking forward to this one more than Blue Dragon mainly because the combat looks more interesting. I am going to be buying it on day one (Japan).

Sure the battle shots look pretty bland, but as long as they are fun like Star Ocean battles then I won't care. I'm just happy that this game is actually going to be released for the Xbox 360. With Namco as the publisher I was worried that they were going to delay this thing forever or simply cancel it like they did with Frame City Killer. The 360 really needs a lot more of this kind of game and I wouldn't be surprised if it pushes a lot of hardware.

Jonnyram

Firestorm said:
Major Nelson says there's a trailer up on the Japanese Xbox Live Marketplace. Anyone check it out? Is it new?
I'll check it out tonight, but according to the description on Major Nelson, the trailer is in English? Odd.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Firestorm said:
Major Nelson says there's a trailer up on the Japanese Xbox Live Marketplace. Anyone check it out? Is it new?
Damn, I'm at work right now so I can't check it out. Though since Namco just officially released the TGS trailer I don't expect anything more than a 720p version of that.

Duderz

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I can't believe people are arguing this passionately over a Namco rpg.

Pretty sure it's got more to do with tri-Crescendo than Namco.

Oh, and the amazing graphics, interesting premise, and the hope that it plays well.

Which goes back to tri-Crescendo.

Takuhi

Just DL'ed the new Live trailer... It doesn't seem to show anything new, so it may just be the TGS one (which I haven't seen). It starts and ends with Porka (tee-hee!) about to jump at the edge of a cliff.

It looks lovely, though! Nothing super ground-breaking, but certainly pretty. I'm psyched!

jaundicejuice said:
I can't believe people are arguing this passionately over a Namco rpg.

I don't even understand this.

I know there are some who despise the localizations they do here, but ... since when do their RPGs suck? I think they publish some of the best ones.

Danielsan

The game looks absolutely stunning, it's a pitty that the English voices are so horrible though :(
I want a Japanese voices with English subs option please..

duckroll

The fault here lies completely with the poor script and a crap voice director. Whoever edited that script needs to suffer massive damage. :(

RavenFox

Banned
_dementia said:
Bettenhausen must have one hell of on overclocked Dreamcast.
:lol :lol I was in tears man.

Seriously this looks damn awesome. To me anyway.

1099_0005.jpg

Something inside of me stirred looking at this pic..

*I need prayer*

Takuhi

There's a hands-on report on Trusty Sonata Eternal Bell in today's 1Up Yours podcast. It's from Shame, who is the source of the dissing earlier in this thread. And now he likes it, so the trolls will have to find some new avenue of attack. I suggest:

• This game will likely still be inferior to $40 million epics like FFXII in certain aspects.
• Chopin was a pedophile.
• tri-Crescendo is improperly capitalized
• "Trusty Bell?" WTF?
• How good could a game be if it's made by a bunch of sound programmers?

Good luck!

RavenFox

Banned
Takuhi said:
There's a hands-on report on Trusty Sonata Eternal Bell in today's 1Up Yours podcast. It's from Shame, who is the source of the dissing earlier in this thread. And now he likes it, so the trolls will have to find some new avenue of attack. I suggest:

• This game will likely still be inferior to $40 million epics like FFXII in certain aspects.
• Chopin was a pedophile.
• tri-Crescendo is improperly capitalized
• "Trusty Bell?" WTF?
• How good could a game be if it's made by a bunch of sound programmers?

Good luck!

Wha? *Bails Out*

goldenpp72

how is the voice acting 'bad' ? It might not be as good as it could be but.. I just don't understand what people want a young blonde girl with pink dress who carries lethal disease to sound like?

Takuhi

goldenpp72 said:
how is the voice acting 'bad' ? It might not be as good as it could be but.. I just don't understand what people want a young blonde girl with pink dress who carries lethal disease to sound like?

Courtney Love?

Durante

1099_0028.jpg

Can't say that they don't know their target audience :lol
I love it

Also, not just in this shot but in many of them, this is one of the few games where the totally overdone DoF actually enhances the visuals instead of detracting from them. It just meshes so well with the visual style of the game.

1099_0036.jpg
Awesome shot. Too bad this looks like a PS2 game
Indifferent2.gif

Blimblim

The Inside Track
OMG, that cutscene video on gamespot gives an horrible idea of the game. It's lacking some voices and (hopefully) a lot of other stuff, it's just totally terrible. If this is the final cutscene direction, urg, this is even worse than Ninety Nine Nights.
Either someone at Namco US shouldn't have shown the game like that, or this will be very bad for the final game. Any way we see it, this really was bad bad BAD!

Durante

Sounds bad - no japanese audio option = no sale to me level bad. But I sure hope that's over and done with this gen. With machines that can play back MP3s or other compressed audio using about 1% of their total processing capability there's no excuse at all not to support it.

Durante said:
Sounds bad - no japanese audio option = no sale to me level bad. But I sure hope that's over and done with this gen. With machines that can play back MP3s or other compressed audio using about 1% of their total processing capability there's no excuse at all not to support it.

Main problem is the cost to bring JP voices to the US version.

Of course things could have changed and I didn't know about it. ;o

Durante

What cost? I just don't see it. It's a miniscule programming effort, and the material is already there. The biggest cost is probably some additional testing, but even that is minimal compared to all other expenses.

If NISA can do it for all their sometimes incredibly niche releases, I'll continue to maintain that the only reason bigger publishers don't do it is either ignorance of the demand or plain lazyness. (And the demand is there among a significant part of the target audience for these games, that much should be obvious)

If an anime localization company tried to sell a DVD without the original audio track, they'd get laughed out of the house. I very much hope to achieve the same state of affairs in the JRPG sector by the end of this generation.

I dunno, maybe they aren't taking localization seriously and if they spent money on bringing the JP VA here they'd be better off paying for voice actors that are actually good instead of bums they find on the street (Bandai Namco pays in booze).

duckroll

If an anime localization company tried to sell a DVD without the original audio track, they'd get laughed out of the house. I very much hope to achieve the same state of affairs in the JRPG sector by the end of this generation.

Square Enix sells more JRPGs in the US than pretty much any anime DVD company. They pretty much set the standard for JRPGs in the US, and their stand has been pretty clear so far. :p

deadbeef

Urgh, I just saw that Gamespot interview with the localization director. That's really disappointing that the original voice acting doesn't seem to be included with only English subtitles. I'm still really looking forward to this game.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
duckroll said:
Square Enix sells more JRPGs in the US than pretty much any anime DVD company. They pretty much set the standard for JRPGs in the US, and their stand has been pretty clear so far. :p

The standard argument -- that there wasn't enough room on the DVDs for both voice tracks -- could very well have been true in the case of Squeni games last gen. With more efficient sound compression technology (not to mention a hell of a lot more space) it'll be interesting to see what they do with localizations this generation.

Top Bottom