• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 images from the US version of Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata

v1cious

Banned
reminder said:
C'mon Namco, i know you want it too. :D

trustyps3.jpg

1099_0002.jpg

Well, i don't think that they port it to PS3. I think i have to buy a 360 when this game comes to europe...

this could actually happen, especially if it flops like Blue Dragon did.

ethelred

Kabuki Waq said:
Screen do look great. Game looks like crap in MOTION. All these ppl creaming their pants because of the graphics are insane if they still feel the same way after watching it in motion....the way the chracter runs and turns is PSX level.

I watched the video of the game in motion. It looks fine. It does not look like crap, and it certainly doesn't look PSX level.

soco

Blimblim said:

:lol

~~

i could maybe understand some of the opinions here if i played both FFXII and this on an SDTV. there are definetly scenes that'd look better in FFXII, like some of the ones they pulled up, but there are plenty of battle area shots that aren't nearly as nice looking.

ethelred said:
I watched the video of the game in motion. It looks fine. It does not look like crap, and it certainly doesn't look PSX level.

watcht he you tube clip and watch the character try to TURN while running. that was PSX level animation right there.

duckroll

Kabuki Waq said:
watcht he you tube clip and watch the character try to TURN while running. that was PSX level animation right there.

So, you're making a comment on the quality of the animation of a HD game based on youtube clips of off-camera videos and a low-res trailer? Is that really what you're doing? :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
looks really great to me.

oh and i've got over 100 hours into FFXII right now and no, just no... this looks waaay better.

duckroll said:
So, you're making a comment on the quality of the animation of a HD game based on youtube clips of off-camera videos and a low-res trailer? Is that really what you're doing? :lol

there are hi res clips of the game too and the in game animation is not any different at all.

Animation is absurdly bad. You didnt comment but didnt the animation look bad to you?

edit: i am at work and cant look at videos now....but if you have a better video of the actual character running and turning......not a close up or cut scene feel free to post it to prove me wrong.

actual Gameplay footage please.

Hunahan

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
Screen do look great. Game looks like crap in MOTION. All these ppl creaming their pants because of the graphics are insane if they still feel the same way after watching it in motion....the way the chracter runs and turns is PSX level.

Or maybe they just have different taste. Or maybe they just aren't as picky. Or maybe they don't place as much emphasis on that particular aspect of the game's implementation. Or maybe that was just an early build and people are hopefull it will improve. Or maybe, or maybe, or maybe...

I don't know, it just all seems so negative to me for something that's forced on no one. When I choose to complain about things, it's usually things that I have no choice about like improper use of microtransactions, or console manufacturer choices that universally effect everyone, not a piece of software that I can just as easily ignore if I don't happen to think it looks interesting.

The thing that kind of bugs me about GAF sometimes is how everyone seems to project their subjective opinion as fact. There are certainly high profile games that do nothing for me, but instead of wandering through their threads telling everyone who thinks otherwise that they are wrong, I just avoid those threads. I don't really understand the fascination with hanging out in threads about games one isn't interested in just to rain on peoples' parades and tell them that their eyes are broken when they think something looks nice. Especially when the game is obviously sort of niche.

Of course Gears Of War gets a fantastic budget and every little allowance it can possibly have, it's a sure-fire hit in a genre that the userbase soaks up like a sponge. Trusty Bell on Xbox360? I don't know, it just seems to me like everyone should cut it a little bit more slack.

But then again, I don't really like arguing, so maybe I'm just too passive to understand the constant screenshot sparring properly.

Either way, I'm sorry that the animation of this game offends you so much, and hopefully you'll be able to find a game that you enjoy. Cheers.

LegatoB

I don't actually expect this game to be any good, but man, sometimes it looks really pretty. And the battle system gives me occasional Dragon Quarter vibes. I'll probably get suckered into renting or buying it when it comes out, then bitching about how bad it is all over the Internet, like whenever I pick up a Tales game.

duckroll

Kabuki Waq said:
there are hi res clips of the game too and the in game animation is not any different at all.

Animation is absurdly bad. You didnt comment but didnt the animation look bad to you?

I don't think the animation is remotely "absurdly bad". I don't think it looks awesome or amazing, but for what it does it's very servicable. Making an exaggerated comment like comparing the animation with PSX games, and then citing a -youtube- video is just a very, very foolish thing to do. :p

ethelred

v1cious said:
names sell more than you think.

Really? Because I can give you a list right now of every single RPG that sold 500k on the PS2, and it's a lot smaller than you might think. New IPs? Where?

v1cious said:
that's your evidence? a hype piece? i'll tell you for a fact it was around around 100,000. on any other console, it would sold around 500,000 if not more.

The fact is it didnt flop for it to be an xbox 360 japan game. Your starting to sound a little trollish so Im going to end this convo.

v1cious

Banned
IcebergSlim3000 said:
The fact is it didnt flop for it to be an xbox 360 japan game. Your starting to sound a little trollish so Im going to end this convo.

exactly my point. it sold well "for what it was"

FrankT

duckroll said:
Blue Dragon flopped? News to me.

Negative, probably one of the best selling 360 games in Japan, thus far I would imagine. Just wait for the US release in August. I'm sure the big numbers will start rolling in after that as well.

Hunahan said:
Or maybe they just have different taste. Or maybe they just aren't as picky. Or maybe they don't place as much emphasis on that particular aspect of the game's implementation. Or maybe that was just an early build and people are hopefull it will improve. Or maybe, or maybe, or maybe...

I don't know, it just all seems so negative to me for something that's forced on no one. When I choose to complain about things, it's usually things that I have no choice about like improper use of microtransactions, or console manufacturer choices that universally effect everyone, not a piece of software that I can just as easily ignore if I don't happen to think it looks interesting.

The thing that kind of bugs me about GAF sometimes is how everyone seems to project their subjective opinion as fact. There are certainly high profile games that do nothing for me, but instead of wandering through their threads telling everyone who thinks otherwise that they are wrong, I just avoid those threads. I don't really understand the fascination with hanging out in threads about games one isn't interested in just to rain on peoples' parades and tell them that their eyes are broken when they think something looks nice. Especially when the game is obviously sort of niche.

Of course Gears Of War gets a fantastic budget and every little allowance it can possibly have, it's a sure-fire hit in a genre that the userbase soaks up like a sponge. Trusty Bell on Xbox360? I don't know, it just seems to me like everyone should cut it a little bit more slack.

But then again, I don't really like arguing, so maybe I'm just too passive to understand the constant screenshot sparring properly.

Either way, I'm sorry that the animation of this game offends you so much, and hopefully you'll be able to find a game that you enjoy. Cheers.

what was even the point of this post? dont worry be happy?

I am just voicing my opinion and am try to prove it. I feel the in game animation sucks and so far no one has proven otherwise. Gaf is all about opinion.

Meier

v1cious said:
this could actually happen, especially if it flops like Blue Dragon did.

:lol :lol Causing a resurgence in X360 hardware sales that hasnt stopped (yes, they're low, but it's been doing 3-4k per week now instead of just eking out 1k) and selling to somewhere in the vicinity of 1/3rd the user base is a flop. I fully expect the game to sell 500k+ (minimum) in America when it comes out as well (which it needs to hurry up and do, dammit!).

ethelred

v1cious said:
exactly my point. it sold well "for it what it was"

Exactly your point, huh?

Your point was twofold: A) that Blue Dragon flopped; B) that Blue Dragon would've sold 500k on another console.

And your point, simply enough, is wrong. And I like how you avoided responding to me. Where are all these new IP RPGs that sold 500k on non-Xbox systems in Japan? Take the GBA or PS2 -- your pick. Let's hear 'em.

Kabuki Waq said:
it just reminds me of PSX animation. I mean the running animation does not seem to change whether you hit something or turn. It look like you are just running in place while turning not friction whatsoever with the ground. Just seem really primitive to me.

It's an RPG, not a running simulator.

duckroll said:
I don't think the animation is remotely "absurdly bad". I don't think it looks awesome or amazing, but for what it does it's very servicable. Making an exaggerated comment like comparing the animation with PSX games, and then citing a -youtube- video is just a very, very foolish thing to do. :p

it just reminds me of PSX animation. I mean the running animation does not seem to change whether you hit something or turn. It look like you are just running in place while turning no friction whatsoever with the ground. Just seem really primitive to me.

v1cious

Banned
IcebergSlim3000 said:
and whats your point. The game did well for an xbox 360 game. Please make your point or keep on truckin.

that is my point. it suffered cause it's a 360 exclusive. i doubt it made anywhere what they were hoping for, especially after all the hype surrounding it. you keep "that's good for a 360 game in Japan", but that's not saying a whole lot. the ps3 is selling fair for a 600 dollar system, does that make it a good thing?

ethelred

Bubububububu v1cious, names sell more than I think! Which names? How much did they sell? Come on, you're the expert, share.

v1cious said:
that is my point. it suffered cause it's a 360 exclusive. i doubt it made anywhere what they were hoping for, especially after all the hype surrounding it.

Sakaguchi went on record to say he expected 100K.

He got it.

v1cious

Banned
IcebergSlim3000 said:
Because in your bizarro world the game will never be released outside of Japan.

umm no. however, Japan was it's key demographic. i will eat my words if it sells anywhere close to a million worldwide.

v1cious said:
umm no. however, Japan was it's key demographic. i will eat my words if it sells a million worldwide.

The vast majority of games (what's more, new IPs) don't come anywhere close to selling a million, worldwide or not.

Why is Blue Dragon on a pedestal?

ethelred

Still waiting for v1cious to name all those 500k-selling new IP RPGs in Japan... why, it's almost like he doesn't know any!

Almost like he was talking out of his ass when he called Blue Dragon a flop and said it would sell 500k on any other system!

But that would make him a troll, wouldn't it? C'mon, man, you told me "names sell more than I think" -- please clarify for us.

v1cious

Banned
Pureauthor said:
The vast majority of games (what's more, new IPs) don't come anywhere close to selling a million, worldwide or not.

Why is Blue Dragon on a pedestal?

fine, let's be more realistic and say about 300,000

Meier

v1cious said:
that is my point. it suffered cause it's a 360 exclusive.

What you're failing to recognize is that a game like Blue Dragon that's funded by MS isn't just about the sales of the software alone. They're more concerned with having it help hardware which it did VERY well.

Hunahan

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
what was even the point of this post? dont worry be happy?

I am just voicing my opinion and am try to prove it. I feel the in game animation sucks and so far no one has proven otherwise. Gaf is all about opinion.

Right, that's the problem. You can't prove an opinion. If you don't get that, then I don't know what to say.

v1cious said:
umm no. however, Japan was it's key demographic. .

huh what does that have to do with the game not being available at retail to the rest of the world. Your basically saying only Japan plays these types of games. Do you even play RPG's?

Kosma

Banned
v1cious said:
umm no. however, Japan was it's key demographic. i will eat my words if it sells anywhere close to a million worldwide.

Lol easy.

v1cious said:

It's already sold 150k in Japan.

Even a crappy JRPG like Enchanted Arms sold 125k in the US. Blue Dragon will def have over 500k sells in the US.

v1cious

Banned
ethelred said:
Still waiting for v1cious to name all those 500k-selling new IP RPGs in Japan... why, it's almost like he doesn't know any!

Almost like he was talking out of his ass when he called Blue Dragon a flop and said it would sell 500k on any other system!

But that would make him a troll, wouldn't it? C'mon, man, you told me "names sell more than I think" -- please clarify for us.

when did i say every RPG sells 500,000? this particular title has three of the biggest names in Japan attached to it (Toriyama, Uematsu, Sakaguchi) and had massive hype. are you honestly gonna tell me this game wouldn't have sold way better on something like the Ps3 , Ps2 or DS? i don't even know why this is debatable.

IcebergSlim3000 said:
huh what does that have to do with the game not being available at retail to the rest of the world. Your basically saying only Japan plays these types of games. Do you even play RPG's?
mostly, not mainly.

duckroll

v1cious said:

It's over 160k in Japan now. :p

v1cious said:
this particular title has three of three of the biggest names in Japan attached to it (Toriyama, Uematsu, Sakaguchi) and had massive hype. are you honestly gonna tell me this game wouldn't have sold way better on something like the Ps3 , Ps2 or DS? i don't even know why this is debatable.

Are you saying this game would have been made on the PS3, PS2 or DS? That's very speculative because I don't know many publishers in Japan with that kind of budget for a next-gen game that isn't an internal project. Mistwalker sure has hell doesn't have the budget to make it themselves. :p

Rorschach

Meier said:
I like ya sporks, but this is asinine. I put in a LOT of time in FFXII and enjoyed the hell out of it, but it's not a pretty looking game by today's standards. Nice locales, but to compare its graphics to something like Trusty Bell is beyond ludicrous. It's like comparing a VHS tape to an HD DVD or Blu Ray grab. Yes, the jump is that significant.
You're exaggerating as much as he is. The jump from VHS to HD DVD!? Come on! FFXII is one of the few games that I didn't mind going back to last gen for a bit for (GoW2 too). It holds up considering it's like a year old and on the ps2.

Blimblim said:
Yeah...really "girly" game there, blim.
rolleyes.gif

This game does look kinda "girly" in some shots, but that didn't stop me from playing through things like Rhapsody. ;b

soco

Meier said:
:lol :lol Causing a resurgence in X360 hardware sales that hasnt stopped (yes, they're low, but it's been doing 3-4k per week now instead of just eking out 1k) and selling to somewhere in the vicinity of 1/3rd the user base is a flop. I fully expect the game to sell 500k+ (minimum) in America when it comes out as well (which it needs to hurry up and do, dammit!).

in all fairness, i don't think blue dragon is entirely responsible for the lift of sales from 1k to 3-4k a week. i think that kinda started when the core 360 was introduced.

watership

sp0rsk said:
He wasn't the only one who thought it looked like a DC game, cause at TGS it did.

Anyway, the translation seems pretty crap

"Come and buy some of Tenuto's famous floral powder! It works very well! Please give it a try!!"

No one talks like this.

Have you never played a videogame?

Hunahan said:
Right, that's the problem. You can't prove an opinion. If you don't get that, then I don't know what to say.

Prove was the wrong word. I gave reasons as to why i have the opinion that i do.

Kabuki Waq said:
Prove was the wrong word. I gave reasons as to why i have the opinion that i do.

You keep saying that the gameplay animation is awful but the animation quality in Trusty Bell isn't any different than the stuff you see in other JRPGs like FF12. I really don't know where you're coming from here.

Kabuki Waq said:
I gave reasons as to why i have the opinion that i do.

You can't prove that you did.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
You keep saying that the gameplay animation is awful but the animation quality in Trusty Bell isn't any different than the stuff you see in other JRPGs like FF12. I really don't know where you're coming from here.

HSMP with the stealth troll, that was excellent.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:

I think it really has to do with the fact that i dont play JRPGs so much. I just really liked the trailer for this game and kept an Eye on it. Until the bitter dissapointment of gameplay videos i have seen.

If ff12 has the same crap animation then **** that too. No excuse for having such horrible Animation is this day and age.

Top Bottom