• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 year old girl beaten as security guards look on

Status
Not open for further replies.

selig

Banned
you know, this topic is quite revealing in terms of the state of the human mind, of our society in general.

When we have our usual topics about murder, rape, animal cruelty and what else, it still raises my disbelief in mankind, BUT: I tell myself "those were some sickos, uneducated assholes".
In this case, it is different.
People from neogaf, and quite a lot, REALLY defend the action of NOT helping a person that´s beaten that hard. Being hit on the head. "You could lose your job, so its okay not to do something". Did i read that correctly?

WTF?!

Where have we come as a human society, when even the nerd-crowd (which is usually better educated) "okays" something like that happening?!?

GAF, it´s the first time I am honestly disappointed in you...

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
observe_and_report.jpg

If Seth Rogen was on duty, this wouldn't have happened.

Igo

GT500 said:
That's what happens when cowards and weaklings get employed as security guards.

If you want them to act like cops, pay them like cops.

I can't be sure what I would have done. If I saw this going down in London you can be damn sure i'm not getting involved. The fact that they're 15 makes it all the more likely that i'll soon have a nice set of puncture wounds in my chest. You're better off screaming that you're calling the cops and hope for the best.

aoi tsuki

i'm not faulting the guards at all. They were trained not to act, and after becoming a security droid by following that mindset day in and out, and undoubtedly seeing things and only being allowed to report them, you have situations like this. It doesn't help that a lot of civilian security positions aren't hiring the brightest, nor are they paying as if they were.

It's just that i would've guessed they simply would've surrounded the girl, and told the attacking girl to move along as they called for someone to pick up the girl. It's nonviolent, only requires a little assertion of [assumed] power, and it's hardly breaking regulation.

Dude Abides

Banned
Pandaman said:
your mistake is convoluting 'doing the right thing' with 'ignoring it'. ignoring it would be to stick your hands in your pockets, walk away and tell your wife you had a quiet uneventful day. Doing the right thing was to ensure that the criminals were caught. they are not the same thing.

sure thing, I was hired on to a bar at age 17, worked there for about a year and a half, technically illegally as i was underage and working past 9 o'clock. after that job i was hired on with G4S which had just bought out securicors armoured car devision, i did not work on the cars but a friend of mine who had an armed guard license did, not much eventful happened but he was pissed when there was that hubub about one of the armed guards being fired. don't recall her name, but Hamilton's a small city so it'd be easy to look up. anyway i spent about a month running between niagra, Hamilton and st. catherines general hospitals before doing a short gig at... ah fuck i forget the name, but its a fiberglass mine just outside hamilton airport. GSC or CSC or something. anyway the supervisor on site recommended be over to Hamilton specialty bar which had just gone out of business. I spent the rest of my time there, supervising the abandoned steelworks mill out of the scale-house and later a small shack by the transformers. it was a sweet gig but we always had thieves or drunken kids breaking in, they were easily scared off though. nothing messy.

anyway, IIRC us steal bought out the bar and i lost my position to a more senior officer so i quit and worked a night shift at a toys r us for awhile, nothing really relevant here. nowadays i work part-time as a bouncer at the college bar after the regular college security close up shop. [save for two officers at the front desks]

banking knowledge comes primarily from the fact that both my mother and grandmother are former branch managers, one of which currently works at a central accounting unit in auditing.

is that sufficient?

Sufficient to confirm you have no experience in bank security or any other actual security position other than bouncing, yes, duly confirmed my little man-baby.

Gio_CoD

Banned
It's a shame, and I like to think that I would have jumped in and tried to stop it if I was there, but I probably wouldn't have. For one, the type of people who jump a 15 year old girl to steal her fucking iPod are the same type of people that won't have a problem shooting/stabbing you in a fight. They're unpredictable scumbags.

Medalion

Banned
ALl I wanna know is, would any of those security guards gotten for sure fired if they had intervened?

That's what I want to know. If no, then they are idiots. If yes, that might be a slight counterargument. Kids wail on each other all the time in schools without adult supervision all the time. It's not an excuse but it does happen more than you think.

.GqueB.

Banned
KevinCow said:
So, in your mind, it would be perfectly acceptable for them to kick her face in if she'd spat on them. You sure sound like an educated and civilized individual!
Ofcourse it is are you kidding me?!

Dice said:
In my neighborhood, if you're getting your face kicked in then you're in danger of losing an eye, major brain functions, or your life.
And you wouldve deserved it. Tragically. You shouldnt have spat at the person.

slit said:
If I suddenly lost my job my child would not all of a sudden have to walk around in feces. Most people should plan their life a little better than that and if you are so devoted to your family you would do anything to prevent that from happening. Your job at the local mall shouldn't be the only thing that keeps your entire world in alignment and if it does then you're simply not resourceful enough and your children would probably be better off in state custody anyway.

If I see someone in distress, I help. If everyone followed your logic nobody should help anybody because who knows why they're in the predicament they're in. If someone is being raped should I just sit there because maybe she was teasing her rapist and therefore deserves the assault?
She was probably wearing something to provoke him. SO in a sense, yes you shouldve been minding your own business.

Im fucking with you guys by the way. I wouldve thought the comment about a child walking around in his own feces and starving to death was a dead give away.

Gio_CoD said:
It's a shame, and I like to think that I would have jumped in and tried to stop it if I was there, but I probably wouldn't have. For one, the type of people who jump a 15 year old girl to steal her fucking iPod are the same type of people that won't have a problem shooting/stabbing you in a fight. They're unpredictable scumbags.

That's the thing. People all say they would likely jump in but they don't, why? Because they wait for someone else to jump in first.

You see it alot in videos of fights with people watching. Everyone standing around doing nothing but suddenly one person intervenes, and all the sudden a bunch of other bystanders jump in to assist as well. Just that often everyone is afraid to make a move first in fear of being alone and getting hurt. When others see someone else jumping in to help they suddenly feel like they are not alone and that's when they jump in. In a situation like this, no one took the initiative to help sadly.

Darklord

Banned
shuri said:
thats the same thing those guys in the group were thinking too.

If I was standing next to them like they were I'd do something, I wouldn't even wait for the security guards I'd yell at that guy to get the fuck off her I'm not a person who thinks "Oh no, better not get involved" like many do but being in a terminal about to board a plane and a fair way from the incident is another thing. I would have literally had to run after them out the security check point that's a bit different to being half an arms length away.

LosDaddie

Banned
Medalion said:
ALl I wanna know is, would any of those security guards gotten for sure fired if they had intervened?

That's what I want to know.

:lol No one here could tell you for sure or not; But it's a very real possibility they could've been fired. Those guards are paid to guard the merchandise, not the people.

ccbfan

Some people here really needs to grow up.

I know most people here probably are young and have no other responsibility other than themselves and doesn't know how the real world works but to be this naive and clueless is ridicules.

Hey these guard should help even though they'll lose their jobs. It only their jobs right. I mean in these great economic times it so easy to get a new one. They people probably has no family members that depend on them to survive. No little Tim that needs food and clothes. No mortgage pr rent to pay. No debt. These are all 21 year olds living with their parents and the only reason they have these jobs is to buy the latest video games and HD TVs.

I mean they have no training to handle these situations. Unless people here like a few hour video is enough. Hey maybe you guys should go fight terrorist since you've play COD all the time. Hey what if they get hurt. Oh they'll be fine, they have insurance. Opps, they just got fired because they violated their contracts. Opps how are they gonna pay for their medical bills. Well sucks to be them.

Consequences people. I know most of you aren't old enough to know them where yourworst case scenerios are being grounded by mom and dad but in the real world they can really doom you.

EliCash

I don't care what the fuck they're trained to do, you don't allow a 15 year old girl to get jumped and get her head kicked in :lol

It's the bystander effect, but still someone should have intervened. Fair enough if it just happens out of the blue but the girl went to the security looking for help.

If she didn't do anything to provoke her attackers and is completely innocent, some of you are saying that even if that is the case...you would stand and watch?

Barrett2

Whats most troubling to me are the wildly idiotic assumptions about tort law. Sad that we are so brainwashed as a society that people actually think you will "get in trouble" for attempting to stop a vicious beating.

Again, nobody is saying the security guards should have grabbed the attacker and slammed her face into a brick wall; or pulled her into a room and held her for three hours; but Christ, at least attempt to stand in between her and the victim.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Look, all they really had to do was block that other batshit insane girl off, they didn't have to try to arrest her or anything – just stand in the way.

EliCash

lawblob said:
Whats most troubling to me are the wildly idiotic assumptions about tort law. Sad that we are so brainwashed as a society that people actually think you will "get in trouble" for attempting to stop a vicious beating.

Again, nobody is saying the security guards should have grabbed the attacker and slammed her face into a brick wall; but Christ, at least attempt to stand in between her and the victim.

Exactly :lol The security guards wouldn't have lost their jobs over pulling off a girl that could have potentially killed another girl.

Teachers in schools break up fights. It's their job to teach the students, so by stopping a fight they would get fired?

The fact that they're merchandise guards and not security guards means fuck all :lol

SmokyDave

lawblob said:

Again, nobody is saying the security guards should have grabbed the attacker and slammed her face into a brick wall; or pulled her into a room and held her for three hours; but Christ, at least attempt to stand in between her and the victim.
It's not brainwashing, it certainly happens here in the UK. Anecdotal I know but it has actually happened to me although the charges were later dropped. Not only that, I was attacked by the 'Victim' for stopping someone hitting her.

Hari Seldon

Well I was employed as a security guard and I wouldn't have done shit either.

I made like 1 dollar / hour more than minimum wage, I had zero training, and was told to not do shit except call the police. Not worth getting into a fight for barely above minimum wage.

snap0212

ccbfan said:
Consequences people. I know most of you aren't old enough to know them where yourworst case scenerios are being grounded by mom and dad but in the real world they can really doom you.
Just image this 15-year-old girl is your daughter. You'd say "um, well... they would have lost their job so it was the only right thing to do". Yeah. Totally.

Hari Seldon said:

I made like 1 dollar / hour more than minimum wage, I had zero training, and was told to not do shit except call the police. Not worth getting into a fight for barely above minimum wage.
I wouldn't have paid you a single cent an hour considering your attitude.

Barrett2

Hari Seldon said:

If there were two big dudes brawling, I definitely see where you are coming from.

I think what makes this case so appalling is that these were two petite teenage girls, and there were three large security guards standing literally right there doing nothing. Their inaction prompted inaction among bystanders, also, so it caused nothing to happen.

EzLink

Banned
Fuck these pieces of shit. It's cowardly enough if you are a random civilian watching an attack and not doing anything, but if you get a job that deals in PROTECTING PEOPLE you better damn well make sure you have a ballsack to do what your job requires. Assholes, I hope they feel miserably guilty the rest of their life

ugh

fuck this world

EDIT:

ccbfan said:
Some people here really needs to grow up.

I know most people here probably are young and have no other responsibility other than themselves and doesn't know how the real world works but to be this naive and clueless is ridicules.

Hey these guard should help even though they'll lose their jobs. It only their jobs right. I mean in these great economic times it so easy to get a new one. They people probably has no family members that depend on them to survive. No little Tim that needs food and clothes. No mortgage pr rent to pay. No debt. These are all 21 year olds living with their parents and the only reason they have these jobs is to buy the latest video games and HD TVs.

I mean they have no training to handle these situations. Unless people here like a few hour video is enough. Hey maybe you guys should go fight terrorist since you've play COD all the time. Hey what if they get hurt. Oh they'll be fine, they have insurance. Opps, they just got fired because they violated their contracts. Opps how are they gonna pay for their medical bills. Well sucks to be them.

:lol :lol :lol

"Hey cmon man! I didn't take the security job thinking that I ACTUALLY might have to protect someone! I'm just in this so I can afford my video games! Nevermind that this defenseless girl could die, fucking Bioshock 2 is out this week!!"
Jesus :lol

GT500

Neo Member
Igo said:
If you want them to act like cops, pay them like cops.

I can't be sure what I would have done. If I saw this going down in London you can be damn sure i'm not getting involved. The fact that they're 15 makes it all the more likely that i'll soon have a nice set of puncture wounds in my chest. You're better off screaming that you're calling the cops and hope for the best.
Are you are that you read my post clearly? I said cowards and weaklings!. Paid well or not, they should have sense of responsibility. Some on is getting hurt, so they should help. If I saw someone in this situation, I would help instantly even though I am not a security guard or a cop.

Even if they don't have sense of morality, don't they like to play the heroes or even show their strength for a change? Worthless fools. Paid well or not, an idiot is always an idiot.

SmokyDave

EzLink said:
Fuck these pieces of shit. It's cowardly enough if you are a random civilian watching an attack and not doing anything, but if you get a job that deals in PROTECTING PEOPLE you better damn well make sure you have a ballsack to do what your job requires. Assholes, I hope they feel miserably guilty the rest of their life

ugh

fuck this world
To whom do you refer?

If you're talking about the Security Guards, you're dead wrong. They aren't employed to protect people, that's the job of the Police.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
EzLink said:

ugh

fuck this world

EDIT:

:lol :lol :lol

"Hey cmon man! I didn't take the security job thinking that I ACTUALLY might have to protect someone! I'm just in this so I can afford my video games! Nevermind that this defenseless girl could die, fucking Bioshock 2 is out this week!!"
Jesus :lol
security guards, specifically rent a cops are not employed to protect people.
they are employed to be an insurance break.

EzLink

Banned
SmokyDave said:
To whom do you refer?

If you're talking about the Security Guards, you're dead wrong. They aren't employed to protect people, that's the job of the Police.

Yeah, I guess you are right. It was just my initial rage at the story. I still think they are pieces of shit though doing absolutely nothing. As are the other bystanders.

But yeah, I admit I said something very factually incorrect by saying it was there job

SmokyDave

EzLink said:
Yeah, I guess you are right. It was just my initial rage at the story. I still think they are pieces of shit though doing absolutely nothing. As are the other bystanders
See, I'm more pissed off at the bystanders than the guards. At least the guards have better excuses than the bystander effect.

I can't be too pissed off though, there's no way I'd have got involved, I like my kidneys without screwdrivers stuck in 'em. Twats like these in the OP have no respect or honour.

EzLink

Banned
SmokyDave said:
See, I'm more pissed off at the bystanders than the guards. At least the guards have better excuses than the bystander effect.

I can't be too pissed off though, there's no way I'd have got involved, I like my kidneys without screwdrivers stuck in 'em. Twats like these in the OP have no respect or honour.

Now that I read the story more carefully as opposed to just skimming, the cops seem like the biggest assholes. Although I still think all involved are

I just don't understand how you could live with yourself watching a savage attack on a young girl like that knowing you didn't even try to help. Seriously, that shit would fuck me up and I don't know if I'd ever forgive myself

Hari Seldon

EzLink said:
Now that I read the story more carefully as opposed to just skimming, the cops seem like the biggest assholes. Although I still think all involved are

I just don't understand how you could live with yourself watching a savage attack on a young girl like that knowing you didn't even try to help. Seriously, that shit would fuck me up and I don't know if I'd ever forgive myself

What a sheltered life you have lead if you haven't seen a good 'ol fashion ass kicking.

aoi tsuki

EzLink said:
Yeah, I guess you are right. It was just my initial rage at the story. I still think they are pieces of shit though doing absolutely nothing. As are the other bystanders
The common belief is that security guards will act in a case like this to stop a disturbance. If they're not doing anything and they're ten feet away, what's your average Joe fifty feet away going to do?

EzLink

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
What a sheltered life you have lead if you haven't seen a good 'ol fashion ass kicking.

I haven't seen one. But there is a difference between two guys duking it out in a bar fight and a fifteen year old girl getting the shit kicked out of her

aoi tsuki said:
The common belief is that security guards will act in a case like this to stop a disturbance. If they're not doing anything and they're ten feet away, what's your average Joe fifty feet away going to do?

So since the security guards did nothing it's okay for everybody else to do nothing too? I understand being afraid and not wanting to die, but like I said, I would feel miserable the rest of my life if I saw shit like that and didn't even attempt to help

.GqueB.

Banned
I know I was mucking around in this thread before but let me talk about this seriously for a moment because this is actually worth talking about (oddly).

I like how everyone in this thread is conveniently more brave than most of the bystanders we’ve seen in similar videos on the internet. People rarely jump in to assist in situations like this because of the simple fact that you NEVER know what the attacker has on them. They could have a knife, gun, who knows. Such thoughts cause people to be hesitant. Its pure human nature. Its survival. A simple “what if”. Im gonna go out on a limb and say that most of you would be changing your tune if you were actually in this situation.

Id say that yes, the security guards should’ve done a bit more to stop this. Simply standing between the victim and the attacker would’ve been fine. But to suggest that it was a random bystanders duty to jump in is ludicrous to me. Let me pose a question here. Everyone is saying that because “it was a helpless 15 yr old girl” someone should’ve jumped in. Ok. So lets say this same 15 yr old was being pummeled by a 300 pound male. Would you jump in knowing that this guy could easily destroy you? Would you be this same brave bystander who would’ve jumped in just the same if she were being attacked by a petite black woman?

Im not doubting you all feel strongly about this. Im not calling you liars and saying you would never jump in. But its extremely easy to sit at a computer and say “I would’ve done this” but being in the situation is extremely different. The thought of a bunch of messageboard heads suddenly becoming vigilantes in a moments notice is a bit unrealistic to me Im sorry.

Tokubetsu said:
I bet you most of the people in this thread wouldn't have stepped in either.

I would have laughed and giggled like a school girl not unless it got srs like a gun or a stabbing but silly girl fights? lol

no one in this thread is Batman and no one ain't gonna do shit
especially no internet desk jockeys

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
.GqueB. said:
Im not doubting you all feel strongly about this. Im not calling you liars and saying you would never jump in. But its extremely easy to sit at a computer and say “I would’ve done this” but being in the situation is extremely different. The thought of a bunch of messageboard heads suddenly becoming vigilantes in a moments notice is a bit unrealistic to me Im sorry.

I agree, but just because most people here wouldn't jump in, doesn't mean it was right for all the people watching to not do anything.

It would be interesting to hear stories from anyone here that has actually broken up a fight between people you didn't know in public.

Smash88

Banned
This makes no sense. In Canada, at least, they take you in if you steal or get into fights, and wait for the police to show up. They have a security office with rooms in the back. For them to just stand there and not intervene is stupid, and I'm 100% sure that the job of a security guard is to take in people and wait for the police.

Also what are they being paid for? To stand around if someone steals or beats the living shit out of someone? Honestly, random bystanders could do their job better, just by calling the police? They might as well get rid of the useless security guards.

If this is how this works in the USA, I think your government needs to get their priorities straight.

aoi tsuki

EzLink said:
So since the security guards did nothing it's okay for everybody else to do nothing too? I understand being afraid and not wanting to die, but like I said, I would feel miserable the rest of my life if I saw shit like that and didn't even attempt to help
The girl got beat as no one did anything to protect her, aside from a guard motioning her attacker to move away. That sucks. She's not dead, or from what we can tell disfigured or handicapped. i'd feel like a shit for a while, but certainly not the rest of my life. i've walked away from situations that didn't make me feel great in doing so, but could've saved my life.

That being said, what i was saying is that assumed law enforcement figures are doing nothing to protect the girl and they're in the best position to do so. Onlookers are looking at these events in shock, wondering why the guards don't do anything. They may even wonder if they should do anything since the guards who again, are assumed to be able to enforce the law, are doing nothing. The crowd gets stuck in a logic loop where no one does anything because they expect someone else, maybe a guard, or maybe someone physically closer to do something. Before they know it, the fight is over, as real fights (beatdowns especially, public ones moreso) aren't your typical best out of three, 90-second affairs with a guy choking a chicken in the background.

In short, the bystander effect. i haven't experienced it in this situation, but that's more or less what happens. And i'm pretty sure most people here would stand and watch too, then feel rather stupid that something like that happened and they did nothing.

Like i said in a previous post, i really don't expect the security guards to do anything since they're trained not to act. (i'm also a bit of a pessimist.) Had one of them been prior law enforcement or military, i'd expect the opposite.

Hari Seldon

Smash88 said:
This makes no sense. In Canada, at least, they take you in if you steal or get into fights, and wait for the police to show up. They have a security office with rooms in the back. For them to just stand there and not intervene is stupid, and I'm 100% sure that the job of a security guard is to take in people and wait for the police.

Also what are they being paid for? To stand around if someone steals or beats the living shit out of someone? Honestly, random bystanders could do their job, just by calling the police? They might as well get rid of the useless security guards.

If this is how this works in the USA, I think your government needs to get their priorities straight.

Not all security guard jobs are equivalent. Some security job positions hire off-duty or ex-police or military. Others just hire minimum wage people to stand around just to reduce the insurance cost, and don't bother training them (and therefore tell them to not interfere so they cannot sue for the lack of training if they get hurt).

JoeBoy101

EliCash said:
Bystander effect

But yeah, thats fucking ridiculous. Not really surprising though.

The first thing your mind does unconsciously when an abrupt strange situation happens is it tries to handicap what it is about. It looks for cues to how to react to such a situation. If there were fewer people watching, the likelihood of someone jumping in to help would actually go up. Its not that these people are apathetic or immoral, but that your mind is looking to these other people to get cues on how to react and contextualize the situation. Problem is, all these other people are doing the same thing, and you get one big mental gridlock. If there's less people, your mind relies less on social cues and more on environmental and personal ones.

As soon as the event becomes personal (i.e., someone swings at you, you are spoken to or pulled into the event), the handicapping ends and your mind begins to act accordingly.

And please, bear in mind, this does vary from person to person.

That's why, if in a car accident, fight, etc., need help and everyone is watching, focus on somebody. Get one person's attention and pull them into it. Breaks the mental logjam not just for that person, but others as well.

I thought group psychology was fascinating in college. Imagine it more like a herd mentality still leftover from more primal days.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Torn on this issue myself.

First of all, get your head out of your asses. Security guards are not there to protect people. AT ALL. They're there to protect merchandise/property and call cops to handle serious incidents because they're not a) trained for it b) most of the times not armed for it c) company policy TELLS them not to d) they are not paid to put their life on the line.

You assholes sure are brave and smug being able to judge people behind the internet and keyboard. The situation is so rarely cut and dried. The fact of the matter is, it was EVERYONE'S fault there for not doing something and not JUST the security guards there. You guys can honestly tell me you'd jump in and pull that girl off? How many times have you guys broken up fights between strangers? In this day and age, who knows if that bitch wouldn't have pulled a knife and rammed it through your guts or pulled a gun out. Paul Blart and Observe and Report are only movies you know...

This situation, however, was pretty fucked up. I only know 1 security guard, and I know that if some girl ran up to him telling him that someone was about to lay the beat down on her, he would've at least called the cops and reported it ahead of time and took her somewhere safe. So certainly, the security guards are not without fault here. Still, you guys seem to be confusing a personal ethics issue with an 'it's your job' issue. I'm not sure it's any more right to judge the security guards (NOT bodyguards or bouncers) and not the other onlookers.

Now, if you turn it into a question of 'why the fuck did someone not do something' as others have mentioned, it is the bystander effect. Even if the guards were not there, I don't think it would've made a huge difference regardless.

Ducarmel

When i got discharge from the navy I worked security for a bit.

I am not surprised the Security guards did nothing to help besides call the proper authorities.

My last job we were not allowed to physically touch anybody unless told to do so by the proper authorities or unless we can honestly say we can use our rights to a citizens arrest. Which basically means we only intervene in crimes that are felonies in progress that may cause death or serious bodily harm, or rape.

In this case from what i can see in the video as a security guard all I would is contact the authority and verbally command the girls to stop. Since I dont have the proprer training or authority to physically touch them.

Its crazy I know but working security job you got to cover your ass to you never know what will happen if you intervene. I could get seriously hurt or I can hurt the victim or attacker in which they both can actually sue me and my employer for damages. Which is probably the reason the Security guards did little to help.

I remember a story my instructor told me a guy robbed a jewelery story the security guard chased him down and got the jewelery back. the owner fired the security guard on the spot. The security guard to the employer to court. The employer said I don't need a guy like that, insurance covered the loss. I could of gotten $1500 for a stolen $500 item, I could claimed the loss on my taxes. One thing I cant do is pay millions of dollars of damages to his family if he was killed in stopping the criminal. The jeweler store owner won the case.

JoeBoy101

Kuro Madoushi said:
Now, if you turn it into a question of 'why the fuck did someone not do something' as others have mentioned, it is the bystander effect. Even if the guards were not there, I don't think it would've made a huge difference regardless.

Actually, the security guards not doing anything would have made it even worse. The uniforms and position, whether true or not, provide an illusion of authority. So not only do you have bystander effect, but the effect of perceived authority acting in a particular manner, which would even further suppress anyone reacting to protect the girl. Not blaming the guards persay (I'm trying to be neutral about that), but their not reacting would have made people rationalize what was happening very easy.

"Well security guards are there, so they'll take care of it. It's their job."

One big storm of fuckitude, to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom