• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 NBA Offseason |OT|: Where We Slander One of the Greats of All Time... Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple U

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
I guess LeBron is better if you care about regular season success. That's something to be proud of, sort of. Better than Chris Bosh at least. You can hang you hat on that!

He wants to win a title the easy way. Hence, he's Wade's other lapdog.
yep because no one truly great has ever had great regular season success until they paired up with another top 5 player. no one.....

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
What I see happening:

2011 Finals. Lakers vs. Heat. Heat win, destroy the "old guard" and are now Kings
2012: Thunder step up as everything the Heat are not and a new rivalry is born.

Thunder vs. Heat is the rivalry of the decade.

I hope this means the return of the old-school goon squad NBA. The universe would melt if the PJ Browns, Kurt Thomases and such of the league laid one - or all - of these clowns out since everyone's gunning for them now.

It'd be fanfuckingtastic if you could rescind the current "everything is a hand-checking foul" that came into vogue circa 2000, too.

rac

Banned
So happy lebron is going to the heat with wade and bosh. If the celtics can't get back to the finals to beat la atleast somebody else can give them a run for their money. Plus I fucking hated the lebron cavs.

This season is going to be so entertaining. And I can only hope this move motivates the celtics this season.

Must be good to be Wade right now. Gabrielle Union on your cock and LeBron and Bosh as lackies. Maybe all of them will guest star on an episode of Burn Notice.

Gigglepoo

Triple U said:
yep because no one truly great has ever had great regular season success until they paired up with another top 5 player. no one.....

I'm not even sure what you're arguing here. Is it about the Pacers? Because I won't have you bad mouthing those saints.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-b...an-the-hawks/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

LeBron James’ new motto: If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

And here’s the funny part: He still might not be able to beat the Orlando Magic. Or the Boston Celtics. Or, believe it or not, the Atlanta Hawks.

The Miami Heat aren’t yet a team and might never be. It’s tempting to call them a collection, but it’s more a mismatched set. There’s a power forward (Chris Bosh) who’s less power than finesse, and there are the two All-Stars whose styles most mirror each other.

Put LeBron alongside Kobe Bryant and Ray Allen or even Joe Johnson (when not in Iso mode) and you’ve got a working partnership. One drives and dishes and the other shoots and finishes. Station Lebron next to Dwyane Wade and you’ve got Miami Twice.

Not better than Atlanta? :lol

bionic77 said:
A ring is a ring. Doesn't matter how you got it, no one remembers that shit afterward.

ESPN is going to pretend none of these shenanigans every happened in another month when they start hyping the next sports story.

It will be interesting to see how LeBron and Wade play together. They both play exactly the same and need the ball to dominate. Riley or that kid that currently coaches the Heat have their work cut out for them.

C'mon, all of us that have been watching for years and will continue to do so will always remember. I'll remember that Lebron, the player that was supposed to be the next MJ, that people try to argue is the best player in the league, couldn't hack it on his team. He had to go be Wade's Pippen, he had to be the sidekick. Chicago would have made a lot of sense, been a damn good team, and still been his team.

I will say that the main reason this is even an issue is because all the hype that surrounds the guy. As far as he is concerned, a ring is a ring but I can't say I'll ever look at him in the same light as Jordan or Kobe.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
RT @Bucsfan96: dan gilbert strikes again- LBJ stuff on fathead.com is 17.41.. benedict arnold was born in 1741. Gilbert owns fathead
27 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Dan Gilbert strikes again :lol :lol :lol

This guy is great.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
LiveFromKyoto said:
Via Twitter:

Thank goodness. I actually figured they were getting nothing back.

Im not versed in what that actually means, does that affect Bosch's contract in Miami at all?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
SquallASF said:
C'mon, all of us that have been watching for years and will continue to do so will always remember. I'll remember that Lebron, the player that was supposed to be the next MJ, that people try to argue is the best player in the league, couldn't hack it on his team. He had to go be Wade's Pippen, he had to be the sidekick. Chicago would have made a lot of sense, been a damn good team, and still been his team.

I will say that the main reason this is even an issue is because all the hype that surrounds the guy. As far as he is concerned, a ring is a ring but I can't say I'll ever look at him in the same light as Jordan or Kobe.

It's too early to be making massive prognostications about his entire career. He could prove us all wrong. Wade could get hurt and LBJ could lead the Heat to the title solo. Right now, I agree with you, but he's only 25 ffs.

17.41 :lol He's not going to let this go!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Raging Spaniard said:
Im not versed in what that actually means, does that affect Bosch's contract in Miami at all?
He can now be signed to a 6 year, $125 million deal, but I thought they were taking less money?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://www.cnbc.com/id/38168279

Reporter Jim Gray Paid By LeBron Entity, Not ESPN

As Jim Gray has told it, it was his idea to make LeBron James' free agent plan an hour special. He took the idea to James' marketing agent Maverick Carter of LRMR, who then worked with William Morris Endeavor to put the package together in front of ESPN executives.

ESPN didn't play down one part of the business arrangement of the deal — that Gray, the former ESPN and NBC reporter who is now working on a freelance basis, was James' preferred interviewer. But the network didn’t say, and now says they didn't know, that Gray's travel and payment for "The Decision" show was being paid by the entity set up by Team LeBron and not by ESPN, as CNBC has learned.

“We aren’t privy to Gray’s arrangement,” said ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys. “He came as part of the package. We accepted Jim knowing that we would have extensive time for our people to interview LeBron, which was bulk of the show.”

Gray’s agent Sandy Montag of IMG declined comment. Attempts to reach Maverick Carter, through James’ publicist Keith Estabrook, were unsuccessful.

Gray’s interview in the show was widely criticized. Richard Sandomir of the New York Times panned the order and the timing of Gray’s questioning, saying that it took six minutes and 18 questions before asking on what team James would next play. USA Today’s Mike McCarthy called the six minutes before Gray asked the most important question “excruciating happy talk.”

As part of the partnership, ESPN turned over some of the advertising inventory in the show to James’ team to sell commercials to the likes of the University of Phoenix, Bing and Vitaminwater. James’ team said it would donate $2.5 million from the proceeds of the ads to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.

The eight brands featured within the show garnered $2.9 million in equivalent advertising time, according to Joyce Julius & Associates, a sponsorship evaluation firm.

The exclusive broadcast received a 7.3 overnight rating, which is a huge number. The final rating will be out later today.

So what this basically means is that every question asked by Jim Gray was pretty much written by LeBron himself.

"Are you still a nail-biter?"

:lol :lol :lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Mrbob said:
Lebron did always say it was about winning a title, and he probably will in Miami. You can argue though Chicago would have been a better fit than Miami with him in place for the team to make a long title run.

I also think most of the disappointment stems from how he decided to leave. Giving his home town the dagger on a national tv event instead of being more mature about handling the situation. Also the fact that a lot of us were looking at Lebron at being the next Jordan, and he just took easy street to being the next Pippen. Any title he wins will not be his. He is going to Dwade's town and going to be the second best man on a championship team.

I can see all those points. We will see how it all turns out. If he is more comfortable in not being the leader but still winning rings, then more power to him. Better than trying to be the alpha dog and not winning anything.

Blackface

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
What I see happening:

2011 Finals. Lakers vs. Heat. Heat win, destroy the "old guard" and are now Kings
2012: Thunder step up as everything the Heat are not and a new rivalry is born.

Thunder vs. Heat is the rivalry of the decade.

Thunder are good, and young, but they need at least one more player of Durants quality to stop the Heat. Even if they do, they still have nobody who can stop Chris Bosh. It's a tough situation. I would love to see the Thunder do well though.

DCX

DCX

mikebeasleysr

the heat did wht they had to do,keep your head up(mike jr).Look at it on the bright side,you dont have 2 share da ball with a 3head monster
12 minutes ago via web

The reason Lebron James left the CAVS,He toll the owner,IF YOU LIKE IT ,YOU SHOULD HAVE PUT A RING IT
about 5 hours ago via web

nick name for miami's big three.......The three amigo's,Three the hard way,3sum,The mob,The hit men,
8:56 AM Jul 8th via web

@dwadeofficial now2 it's time to WIN SOME RINGSSSSSS
8:53 PM Jul 7th via web in reply to dwadeofficial

@JamaicanBride02 hey cuzo
8:51 PM Jul 7th via web in reply to JamaicanBride02

bozer to the bulls,,bosh to Miami,wade staying putT,NO MATTER WHERE JAMES GOES IT WILL ALWAYS BE LEBRON AND 4 OTHER GUYS
5:37 PM Jul 7th via web

BIG UPS TO KD,CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW CONTRACT ,MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
3:04 PM Jul 7th via web

Big ups to my lodge KING TYRE #292 in VA........MASONS DO IT BETTER!!!!!!
12:36 PM Jul 4th via web

everyone have a safe and happy 4th of july
10:41 AM Jul 4th via web

Heat fans remember,the heat were 15 & something b4 mike got there,they made the playoffs two years with him,trading mike would be a bad move
10:37 AM Jul 4th via web

Mark my word,the heat are going to regret trading mike
8:59 AM Jul 3rd via web

the devil is at work 24/7

DCX

Triple U

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
I can see all those points. We will see how it all turns out. If he is more comfortable in not being the leader but still winning rings, then more power to him. Better than trying to be the alpha dog and not winning anything.
I would wait to see how this team really pans out to decide who the alpha dog is. Right now its is wade's team but thing can change very quickly.........

rac

Banned
o9lgs0.jpg

So how long before he begs for a trade?

Plinko

Triple U said:
do you um know how interviews work?

I, um, know how interviews work. Not all interviews are pre-screened.

The fact that ESPN played this off like it was something else is what matters here.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
DCX said:
mikebeasleysr

The reason Lebron James left the CAVS,He toll the owner,IF YOU LIKE IT ,YOU SHOULD HAVE PUT A RING IT
about 5 hours ago via web

Heat fans remember,the heat were 15 & something b4 mike got there,they made the playoffs two years with him,trading mike would be a bad move
10:37 AM Jul 4th via web

Mark my word,the heat are going to regret trading mike
8:59 AM Jul 3rd via web

the devil is at work 24/7

Truly engaging stuff.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Triple U said:
I would wait to see how this team really pans out to decide who the alpha dog is. Right now its is wade's team but thing can change very quickly.........

If they want to win it had better stay Wade's team. Bosh seems like a laid-back bro, and LeBron is way into himself. Plus, you have to wonder how the stigma of LeBron quitting in the playoffs will play in the locker room.

Triple U said:

You just don't get it, do you? Shaq? He left Orlando for L.A. who had Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Del Harris as coach, and a high school rookie named Kobe Bryant. Kareem left Milwaukee after leading them to a title and went to L.A. who didn't have anybody but him for a number of years (and he was traded). Malone left Utah after 18 years in the league for one last shot with the Lakers. He earned his opportunity. Shaq going to Miami to join D.Wade? Shaq had already led the Lakers with Kobe to 3 championships. This is the first time a player of LeBron's caliber has got up and left his team at the prime of his career to join a team with 2 other all stars waiting for him. Yes, it is different but your rose color goggles for Bron Bron makes you unable to see this.

3rdman

captmcblack said:
Lebron dominating everyone is status quo. That's why it's such bullshit that he'd decide it's too hard to do it as the lead dog on a team, and instead allowed himself to join someone else's team. He can win and be praised, or lose and never be criticized because hey, it's Wade's team (not to mention Florida doesn't give a shit about the Heat compared to football).

The rest of your post is true though.

[EDIT: @Gigglepoo, okay...at least you admit it's arbitrary. :lol]
Jesus I'm already sick of this argument...While all of you are busily deciding who "owns" the Heat (PS, it belongs to Mickey Arison and Pat Riley...the owners), the trio will be sipping thier mimosas and getting blow jobs from supermodels on their multi-million dollar yachts all while polishing their multiple championships rings.

If they don't care whose team it is, why should we? Really, it is such a lazy argument and only done to somehow discredit whatever future success he may or may not have...

Triple U

Banned
LovingSteam said:
You just don't get it, do you? Shaq? He left Orlando for L.A. who had Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Del Harris as coach, and a high school rookie named Kobe Bryant. Kareem left Milwaukee after leading them to a title and went to L.A. who didn't have anybody but him for a number of years (and he was traded). Malone left Utah after 18 years in the league for one last shot with the Lakers. He earned his opportunity. Shaq going to Miami to join D.Wade? Shaq had already led the Lakers with Kobe to 3 championships. This is the first time a player of LeBron's caliber has got up and left his team at the prime of his career to join a team with 2 other all stars waiting for him. Yes, it is different but your rose color goggles for Bron Bron makes you unable to see this.
yea IDGAF how it came to be or what happened before. The fact is that allstars getting together(in whatever way) to win chips is nothing new. Every major player on the GOAT list had hof quality help and its not different here regardless of how it came tobe.......

The M.O.B

peterb0y said:
man, getting raja bell too would be nice
Either raja or Matt barnes would put the final topping on the cake. Outside of a C, Mia would have their starting five plus good defenders/ shooters ready on the bench.

Gigglepoo

Triple U said:
yea IDGAF how it came to be or what happened before. The fact is that allstars getting together(in whatever way) to win chips is nothing new. Every major player on the GOAT list had hof quality help and its not different here regardless of how it came tobe.......

So you embrace ignorance and we revel in knowledge.

Brinbe

LiveFromKyoto said:
Via Twitter:

Thank goodness. I actually figured they were getting nothing back.
Naw, that has been rumored to be the deal for a while, the sticking point was always taking back salary like Supercool. I'm guessing TPE+our pick back is it, and perhaps a future 2nd.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Triple U said:
Can you name some teams in the modern era that have comprised 2/3 of the best players in the league at that time, plus another player who is top 5 at his position, whilst all 3 players being in their primes? Because I would very much like to know who those teams are.

This is unprecedented dude. You can try and lie to yourself and say it's no different than what's happened before.. but it is different. Very, very different...

Forceatowulf said:
Can you name some teams in the modern era that have comprised 2/3 of the best players in the league at that time, plus another player who is top 5 at his position, whilst all 3 players being in their primes? Because I would very much like to know who those teams are.

This is unprecedented dude. You can try and lie to yourself and say it's no different than what's happened before.. but it is different. Very, very different...

u scared?

Triple U

Banned
Forceatowulf said:

The only thing that is different is how it came to be. Also it makes no difference if its modern era or not. The 5 top players of all time didn't play in the "modern era" and they were on the same kinda stacked teams.....

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
ph33nix said:
u scared?
Concerned.

I'll be scared when your bench becomes formidable and you haven't been knocked out of the playoffs by the Celtics/magic and the Lakers aren't healthy.
Triple U said:
The only thing that is different is how it came to be. Also it makes no difference if its modern era or not. The 5 top players of all time didn't play in the "modern era" and they were on the same kinda stacked teams.....
Again... name me a team that has had 2 of the top 3 players on it in the league at that time and another player top 5 at his position whilst all in their primes.

Seriously, I would like to know the name of that team. Please show me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom