• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Barcelona vs Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
MPW said:
he wasn't rubbing it in

i bet pool fans are happy he said that

pool 5 cups, man utd 3 etc

I'm happy as hell. All the people here who flew Barca flags this week are too. Thanks Masch you crazy little so and so, had a good one after the first ten minutes.

Barca were so wonderful tonight, love watching them when they aren't diving around and conning the ref. Apart from watching Liverpool hammer United at anfield earlier this season, this is the best night of footy I've watched.

Roll on Copa America, and then NEXT SEASON!

bud

Shorty said:
Interesting. I think he might be Barca's weakest link.

well, he might not be the best goalkeeper in the world, but because of his passing skills, he's the perfect goalie for that team. he never panics and always manages to pass the ball instead of blindly kicking it away.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
bud said:
well, he might not be the best goalkeeper in the world, but because of his passing skills, he's the perfect goalie for that team. he never panics and always manages to pass the ball instead of blindly kicking it away.
This is true.

Tapiozona said:
The Glazers own companies who sponsor Man U. What's to stop that 'sponsorship' from doubling or trippling so they can spend more?

Money all goes to the same place in the end. Ever wonder why Man U is so successful and the Tampa Bay Bucaneers aren't (relatively)?
Rules. Good rules, and parity.
Our finances have been dire ever since the takeover, in fact had we not managed to continue our success we would be in a terrible situation.

bud said:
Yeah and he's a great sweeper in midfield when barca are all out attacking (which is 80% of the time :lol).

Massive congrats to Barcelona. Worthy and deserved winners.

It was painful to watch...but it was an honour too. Football like that, it's special, it was played in the right way...it makes you smile, it makes you WANT to go out and play football.

I am gutted, but I am happy for Barca, the players, the fans, the clubs...and Guardiola.

Proud of United...we had a good season, Barcelona are the benchmark and we have to improve to try and get as close to them as possible. We shouldn't forget tonight. The games you lose are the ones you can learn something from...and if the only thing we learnt tonight is that we are nowhere near good enough to challenge Barcelona right now...it's lesson enough. Must do better.

Again, congrats to Barcelona. Splendid.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Congrats to Farca! Color me shocked. I thought it woud going to go the other way. No matter, we'll see them in August for the Supercopa, where the Spanish champions will be crowned. Hala Madrid!

Omiee

Tapiozona said:
Yay, the Yankees beat the Yankees!

I can never be a fan of a sport with so LITTLE parity as Euro soccer. Spain is by far the worst with almost ALL money from the sport going to 2 teams. I read somewhere that Barcelona makes 17 times more money that the lowest grossing team in the league. That's sad.

Every game is an allstar game and its a race to see who can spend more money. There's no salary caps or profit sharing and the whole system is broken.

Long live American sports. Hard to hate the Yankees when you look at Euro soccer's broken system in comparison.

Editted the parity part.

Are you kidding me? Most of barca's players are from their own youth team.
Unlike real they rely on their own academy.

Dibbz

Amazing game. Barca are just too good. They are the best team in the world and imo the best team there has ever been in football.

It's like watching the Harlem Globetrotters.

Empty

Risk Breaker said:
That's Sergio Busquets.

really?. he was really good today i thought and is most of the time i see him. obviously he's an asshole but though does the less pretty stuff than the others in that team, he's very good at quick, tight passing and so important at setting the teams rhythm as well as astutely stepping back to allow alves to maraud forwards, something which creates a lot for barca.

barca's weak link is their squad depth and bench i think. the likes of keita, affelay and bojan aren't game changers or players that allow them to rest the likes of messi a bit and having to play mascherano at cb after injuries could have cost them if they hadn't played so well everywhere and man u had played brilliantly.

rodvik

Grats to United, set out stall to attack and not just defend and hope for a lucky break.

Looks like all of European football now has another season of trying to figure out how to beat Barcelona. I hope they hurry up.

WJD

Tapiozona said:
Yay, the Yankees beat the Yankees!

I can never be a fan of a sport with so LITTLE parity as Euro soccer. Spain is by far the worst with almost ALL money from the sport going to 2 teams. I read somewhere that Barcelona makes 17 times more money that the lowest grossing team in the league. That's sad.

Every game is an allstar game and its a race to see who can spend more money. There's no salary caps or profit sharing and the whole system is broken.

Long live American sports. Hard to hate the Yankees when you look at Euro soccer's broken system in comparison.

Editted the parity part.

What a terrible, terrible post. Even compared to the Liverlona fans, that is a bad post.

rodvik said:
Grats to United, set out stall to attack and not just defend and hope for a lucky break.

Looks like all of European football now has another season of trying to figure out how to beat Barcelona. I hope they hurry up.
Mourinho or Fergie will figure it out.

I think Real could do it next year.

Tapiozona

Banned
Dibbz said:
Amazing game. Barca are just too good. They are the best team in the world and imo the best team there has ever been in football.

A bunch of hack players who couldn't make the NBA so they become performing artists with basketballs?

Bad comparison. Globetrotters, while fun to watch, are not the best basketball team in the world. They play college basketball teams and lose.

WJD said:
What a terrible, terrible post. Even compared to the Liverlona fans, that is a bad post.

Pot calling the kettle black..am I right? I'd say your post is terrible because it does nothing to explain why mine is. At least mine took a bit of thought. Yours..

Am I wrong? Tell me that soccer has parity, especially in Spain. Tell me that teams don't earn almost 20 times more than other teams in their respective leagues. Tell me it's not an arms race with the top teams paying over the top sums for the top players while everyone else has to just suck it up.

Why is my post a "terrible terrible post"?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Dibbz said:

I don't know if they're the best team in football, they're definitely tue best team for the moment. I see them coming apart though. Madrid is creeping closer every year, they were even able to beat them for the King's cup this year. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in La Liga starting July.

I also wouldn't say that they're the best team of all time, the world is just quite weak right now with the quality of teams. There are lots of good teams, but not many great.

On a bias note, IMHO I would say the days of Zidane, Raul, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Beckham and Casillas may be the best football the world has seen. I remember those years so fondly, not just because of RM's talent, but because of the talent there was around the world. Hell, even Boca Juniors in Argentina and River Plate had very talented teams!

UltimaKilo said:
I don't know if they're the best team in football, they're definitely tue best team for the moment. I see them coming apart though. Madrid is creeping closer every year, they were even able to beat them for the King's cup this year. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in La Liga starting July.

I also wouldn't say that they're the best team of all time, the world is just quite weak right now with the quality of teams. There are lots of good teams, but not many great.

On a bias note, IMHO I would say the days of Zidane, Raul, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Beckham and Casillas may be the best football the world has seen. I remember those years so fondly, not just because of RM's talent, but because of the talent there was around the world. Hell, even Boca Juniors in Argentina and River Plate had very talented teams!
The days of Makele, Zidane, Raul and Figo were the best madrid side I have seen in recent years.

Risk Breaker said:
That's Sergio Busquets.

Busquets is high on the Valdes*-meter scale, but he's the metronome who makes it that much easier for the rest of his team, and Xavi-Iniesta especially, to play.

*Valdes being synonymous with female genitalia.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
anonnumber6 said:

That's just it, I think the loss to Madrid for the King's cup showed the weakness of Barca's defense. Mourinho already beat them with Inter and with Madrid. So it's not a matter of "will" figure it out, he already has. The problem in the Champions was the sending off of Pepe. You're at such a disadvantage against Barca with 10 men (though Mou didn't with Inter).

I don't think fergie will have the club he needs to beat Barca or Madrid. Before that happens, I believe Mourinho will be at Man U.

UltimaKilo said:
That's just it, I think the loss to Madrid for the King's cup showed the weakness of Barca's defense. Mourinho already beat them with Inter and with Madrid. So it's not a matter of "will" figure it out, he already has. The problem in the Champions was the sending off of Pepe. You're at such a disadvantage against Barca with 10 men (though Mou didn't with Inter).

I don't think fergie will have the club he needs to beat Barca or Madrid. Before that happens, I believe Mourinho will be at Man U.
I think Mourinho was holding out until 70 minutes in the first leg and them hitting them with counter attacks and to be fair to him it was working until the sneidng off. Barca didn't come close to scoring. Arsenal have shown Barca can't keep pressing for 90 minutes and Barca have always looked vulnerable to counter attacks. Madrid have the perfect players for counter attacking football in Alonso, Oezil, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Ramos, Marcelo and Higauin.

mokeyjoe

anonnumber6 said:

It's not a matter of figuring it out, it's a matter of building the best team in the world. If you're better than Barca then you'll win. Otherwise you just stick 10 men behind the ball and try to get lucky.

Both Man U and Real are going through a transitional phases in their own ways. Mourinho is trying to build the team he wants and the ethic he expects and Man U are seeing many older players retire and trying to put together the younger talent into a convincing unit. I don't think a year is enough really. The same goes for the situation for other Prem teams like Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and City. I don't really know much about Italian football but it doesn't seem in a good way at the moment. It would be nice to have two European sides at the top of their game at the same time, but right now I'm not sure who that other team is likely to be. Real seem closest to be honest, but then they have the most motivation and the money to back it up.

Dibbz

Tim the Wiz said:
Busquets is high on the Valdes*-meter scale, but he's the metronome who makes it that much easier for the rest of his team, and Xavi-Iniesta especially, to play.

*Valdes being synonymous with female genitalia.
How is Valdes synonymous with female genitalia? WTF are you on about?

Empty said:
really?. he was really good today i thought and is most of the time i see him. obviously he's an asshole but though does the less pretty stuff than the others in that team, he's very good at quick, tight passing and so important at setting the teams rhythm as well as astutely stepping back to allow alves to maraud forwards, something which creates a lot for barca.

barca's weak link is their squad depth and bench i think. the likes of keita, affelay and bojan aren't game changers or players that allow them to rest the likes of messi a bit and having to play mascherano at cb after injuries could have cost them if they hadn't played so well everywhere and man u had played brilliantly.

I don't know man, I've watched 90% of Barça's matches this season and, even though Busquets did a GREAT world cup and start of the season, after a few matches he just fucking sucked. Trust me, he just plays like he's playing with 5 year olds, always walking, faking shit everytime he loses the ball, doing some shitty and dangerous passing (a lot of goals have come from that)... I hope he goes back to his old self because right now he's sucking big balls. And Barça has suffered A LOT from this.

Mid-season, when Puyol was still playing and Masche was playing instead of Busquets, we destroyed everyone. But then Puyol was injured and Masche had to replace him.

About Affelay, he hasn't had much playtime this season (more than I though he would have and more than bojan though) but I really really liked what I've seen. He knows how to play, he plays to score (he or his partners) and to win. I hope he gets more playing time next season :) Pedro, just like Busquets, has sucked a lot in La Liga lately. Whenever Afellay replaced him, Barça played a lot better.

What I agree with is that we need a better bench.

@UltimaKilo, 5-0. I'm sure that Mou has figured it out.

Tapiozona said:
Am I wrong? Tell me that soccer has parity, especially in Spain. Tell me that teams don't earn almost 20 times more than other teams in their respective leagues. Tell me it's not an arms race with the top teams paying over the top sums for the top players while everyone else has to just suck it up.
Financial fair play rules in 2012/13 should sort that. Happy now?

MPW

Risk Breaker said:

he learned from that, actually won vs barca in a cup final unlike man utd

however, madrid need a lb that defends once in a blue moon unlike marcelo

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
anonnumber6 said:
I think Mourinho was holding out until 70 minutes in the first leg and them hitting them with counter attacks and to be fair to him it was working until the sneidng off. Barca didn't come close to scoring. Arsenal have shown Barca can't keep pressing for 90 minutes and Barca have always looked vulnerable to counter attacks. Madrid have the perfect players for counter attacking football in Alonso, Oezil, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Ramos, Marcelo and Higauin.

No you're absolutely right. Remember that he was already warming up Kaká to begin the press for the las 20 minutes. Unfortunately for him, Pepe was called for the red and sent off, forcing him to sit Kaká back down and try to manage a way to end it in a draw. But Barça capitalized and continued to attack the CB until they finally beat them out to score.

The second leg ended in 1-1, with Madrid having scored a goal that was taken away. Replays show that it was a clean goal and Ronaldo had not fouled anyone with his pass.

The season is not really over. We still don't have a Spanish Champion since Madrid won the domestic cup and Barça the league. So in August, we'll see the two Spanish giants face off for the Supercopa. I'm just not sure what Mourinho is trying to built this offseason with the acquisitions he's already made. Albeit, every analyst claims Mourinho, now with more control of club operations, has swooped in and gotten some future stars at very low prices. Still, this is not the style of Real Madrid and they may have signed their last big-name (unless Rooney makes the switch).

Barcelona on the other hand, will be hard pressed to upgrade. Mourinho is picking at all the cheap top-talent, perhaps in part because of Barcelona's financial trouble. I can't see Barça making any large moves either, unless Arsenal lowers their price dramatically for Fabregas, which I doubt.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Risk Breaker said:

I'm guessing you don't watch a lot of football but:

Real-Madrid-manager-Jose-Mourinho-dedicates-Copa-del-Rey-win-to-everyone-involved-with-the-club-63656.jpg

inter-champions1.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
rodvik said:

Mourinho already figured it out last year.

DominoKid

UltimaKilo said:
The season is not really over. We still don't have a Spanish Champion since Madrid won the domestic cup and Barça the league. So in August, we'll see the two Spanish giants face off for the Supercopa. I'm just not sure what Mourinho is trying to built this offseason with the acquisitions he's already made. Albeit, every analyst claims Mourinho, now with more control of club operations, has swooped in and gotten some future stars at very low prices. Still, this is not the style of Real Madrid and they may have signed their last big-name (unless Rooney makes the switch).

lol wut?

I like Madrid but that's a fucking friendly (in name only considering the teams). but Barca are champions

Keio

For a Finer World
I love it how Mou-fans try to give him credit for getting outclassed by Barca in 3 games out of 4. Sure, Copa went RMA's way, but with our without Pepe getting himself sent off, Madrid were not the favourites to go through.

Sure, struggling a 0-0 home draw might be considered an achievement by some, but it's both far from Madrid's glory days and not in any way a guarantee to go to Camp Nou and fluke an away goal. LOL at thinking Mou "figure Barca out".

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Keio said:
I love it how Mou-fans try to give him credit for getting outclassed by Barca in 3 games out of 4. Sure, Copa went RMA's way, but with our without Pepe getting himself sent off, Madrid were not the favourites to go through.

Sure, struggling a 0-0 home draw might be considered an achievement by some, but it's both far from Madrid's glory days and not in any way a guarantee to go to Camp Nou and fluke an away goal. LOL at thinking Mou "figure Barca out".

Mourinho figured Barça out with Internazionale Milano. Real Madrid just was not up to the task.

olimpia84

Regulus Tera said:
Mourinho figured Barça out with Internazionale Milano. Real Madrid just was not up to the task.

No he didn't. Barca dominated those Inter games and should have won the series (that Bojan goal that was disallowed...)

Keio

For a Finer World
Regulus Tera said:
They won the first leg 3-1 and could have kept the 2nd leg 0-0 had they been 11 v 11. C'mon.
Tactically if he knew how to beat Barca, how did he lose 5-0 the next time he was at Camp Nou?

Sure, last season the counter play at San Siro was close to how Arsenal got them, but that's a long stretch from getting a result at Camp Nou. Luck.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
That was some fucking game. I wanted United to win (though i consider myself somewhat neutral; i don't support any particular team).

Those first 15 minutes looked liked United could do it, I'm guessing Fergie told them to get one in that period, after that it was Barca's game, my United supporting flatmates helped me to get into this game.

Hats off to Barca, they played fucking incredibly. Basically zero diving and/or fowl play, United almost never had a chance (sorry :( ), even my die hard United flatmate admitted; Barca really deserved that. They're just so fucking good it's ridiculous.

Congratulations, Barcelona, you deserved that win, thanks for being entertaining.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Keio said:
Tactically if he knew how to beat Barca, how did he lose 5-0 the next time he was at Camp Nou?

Sure, last season the counter play at San Siro was close to how Arsenal got them, but that's a long stretch from getting a result at Camp Nou. Luck.

Because the Real Madrid that lost 5-0 was not a team built for that kind of defence. They got closer during the four Clásicos, beating Barça on one and drawing on two.

What Inter did was no fluke. That was a team of drilled individuals performing an almost perfect defence.

kikanny

Barcaaaaa!! What a great game. It was just so splendid and a joy to watch. Everybody played really well today. It truly was a team effort. I was also really glad Busquets didn't spoil the game with his stupid antics. Both the goals from Pedro and Villa were really awesome. And Messi....there aren't any superlatives that can truly describe him. A true legend. I'm just lucky enough to witness him play day in and day out. Of course, Xavi and Iniesta beautifully controlled the midfield. I hope these guys never retire. Amazing footballers. Also great to see Puyol make an appearance at the end. What a beast.

It was also really great to see Abidal lifting the trophy. Absolute class from the team. Also, I really hope Pep doesn't leave this year. The guy is a genius.

ManU played pretty well too. But they just didn't have that extra oomph. And Valencia...WTF? No idea how he stayed on the pitch without a red card for so long.

Anyways....it truly was a showpiece to the beautiful game of football. Party timeeeeeee!!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
kikanny said:
Barcaaaaa!! What a great game. It was just so splendid and a joy to watch. Everybody played really well today. It truly was a team effort. I was also really glad Busquets didn't spoil the game with his stupid antics. Both the goals from Pedro and Villa were really awesome. And Messi....there aren't any superlatives that can truly describe him. A true legend. I'm just lucky enough to witness him play day in and day out. Of course, Xavi and Iniesta beautifully controlled the midfield. I hope these guys never retire. Amazing footballers. Also great to see Puyol make an appearance at the end. What a beast.

It was also really great to see Abidal lifting the trophy. Absolute class from the team. Also, I really hope Pep doesn't leave this year. The guy is a genius.

ManU played pretty well too. But they just didn't have that extra oomph. And Valencia...WTF? No idea how he stayed on the pitch without a red card for so long.

Anyways....it truly was a showpiece to the beautiful game of football. Party timeeeeeee!!

Even my United supporting flatmate was blagged as to how Valencia didn't get carded. But ah well, for the most part it was actually a clean game!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Regulus Tera said:
Because the Real Madrid that lost 5-0 was not a team built for that kind of defence. They got closer during the four Clásicos, beating Barça on one and drawing on two.

What Inter did was no fluke. That was a team of drilled individuals performing an almost perfect defence.

This. Indeed Madrid got much better as the season went on. Their last matches were downright impressive. Kaka came into form, the team began to Mesh and Ronaldo secured the FIFA World Player of the Year award with his record breaking goal scoring year.

Of course what Inter did was no fluke, they went on to win the Champions. Not only that, when they beat Barça, they did so with 10 men.

Empty

Risk Breaker said:
I don't know man, I've watched 90% of Barça's matches this season and, even though Busquets did a GREAT world cup and start of the season, after a few matches he just fucking sucked. Trust me, he just plays like he's playing with 5 year olds, always walking, faking shit everytime he loses the ball, doing some shitty and dangerous passing (a lot of goals have come from that)... I hope he goes back to his old self because right now he's sucking big balls. And Barça has suffered A LOT from this.

Mid-season, when Puyol was still playing and Masche was playing instead of Busquets, we destroyed everyone. But then Puyol was injured and Masche had to replace him.

About Affelay, he hasn't had much playtime this season (more than I though he would have and more than bojan though) but I really really liked what I've seen. He knows how to play, he plays to score (he or his partners) and to win. I hope he gets more playing time next season :) Pedro, just like Busquets, has sucked a lot in La Liga lately. Whenever Afellay replaced him, Barça played a lot better.

interesting, thanks for the insight. i guess i just caught barca when he was playing well and adding a lot to the team.

Damn was that more than I hoped, great match by Barça, made me remember the November-December 2010 steamroller. So nervous until the 3rd goal (and what a goal that was). Messi, Xavi, Iniesta...damn. So good.

Thanks to football fans here showing fair play, if we could only make Busquets learn that we don't need to waste time with fake injuries it'd be awesome improvement already for next year. So great seeing Abidal take the trophy vastly offsets it though, that was very awesome.

Sooo...visca Barça!

kikanny

UltimaKilo said:
This. Indeed Madrid got much better as the season went on. Their last matches were downright impressive. Kaka came into form, the team began to Mesh and Ronaldo secured the FIFA World Player of the Year award with his record breaking goal scoring year.

Of course what Inter did was no fluke, they went on to win the Champions. Not only that, when they beat Barça, they did so with 10 men.
Ronaldo "secured" the FIFA World Player of the Year award? Really? I mean....really?!?!

guidop

Regulus Tera said:

That 13 hour bus ride had a part to play though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom