• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Barcelona vs Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
UltimaKilo said:
Ronaldo secured the FIFA World Player of the Year award with his record breaking goal scoring year.
Messi scored 53 goals this season, same as Ronaldo. Except he made 6X more decisive passes, won CL and championship, scored in CL against Madrid and in the final, is a role model and provides FIFA the best image they could dream of...

Messi will win everything this year. Like, you know, everything.

Socreges

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Messi scored 53 goals this season, same as Ronaldo. Except he made 6X more decisive passes, won CL and championship, scored in CL against Madrid and in the final, is a role model and provides FIFA the best image they could dream of...

I wouldn't bother arguing with UltimaKilo. Real Madrid fans are some of the most stubborn, arrogant fans out there. I should know - I lived in Madrid for a year and had two RM fans as roommates!! (Wonderful people otherwise!)

This, of course, makes for an excellent rivalry.

Real Madrid will be outclassed by Barcelona once again next season, I'm quite certain of that. And I'll once again enjoy their bitter tears throughout.

NoRéN

marc^o^ said:

where's that pic of Messi kicking the ball at the Madrid crowd?

But, I do think Messi will win. The trophies won gives him that edge over Ronaldo.

Rad-

Socreges said:
I wouldn't bother arguing with UltimaKilo. Real Madrid fans are some of the most stubborn, arrogant fans out there. I should know - I lived in Madrid for a year and had two RM fans as roommates!! (Wonderful people otherwise!)

This, of course, makes for an excellent rivalry.

Real Madrid will be outclassed by Barcelona once again next season, I'm quite certain of that. And I'll once again enjoy their bitter tears throughout.

I dunno. I think they have a decent chance with few Mourinho-like transfers in the summer. They came pretty close already this year, and it wasn't even a team that Mourinho built.

Socreges

Banned
Rad- said:
I dunno. I think they have a decent chance with few Mourinho-like transfers in the summer. They came pretty close already this year, and it wasn't even a team that Mourinho built.
I would actually agree.

Ikkarus

anonnumber6 said:
Mourinho or Fergie will figure it out.

I think Real could do it next year.
Wenger did it this year, well at least for the first game this year.

The year before we managed to come from 2-0 down to bring it back to 2-2. If and I know it's a big if, but if Arsenal faced Barca in the final I think it would be one heck of a match. We just fall apart at the Nou Camp every time.

Still, congratulations to Barca they really are the best football team in the world.

Keio

For a Finer World
Regulus Tera said:
Because the Real Madrid that lost 5-0 was not a team built for that kind of defence. They got closer during the four Clásicos, beating Barça on one and drawing on two.

What Inter did was no fluke. That was a team of drilled individuals performing an almost perfect defence.
Almost perfect e.g. Barca had the ball in the net twice, but one was inexplicably ruled a handball. But that's bygones, I just can't believe someone is naive enough to think "figured out"; parking the bus and having Pepe chop the legs off the midfield is hardly tactical genius.

Many Real Madrid fans were ashamed of their team not playing football against Barca (except the Copa final) in the 4 match stretch. Pep got 2/3 of what he came for: Liga and UCL, not bad.

In the final it was amazing to see Barca pick up the rhytm after a shaky start. Good game all around, everyone being sportsmanlike and Abidal lifting the trophy is so emotional.

Pachimari

All those Real Madrid fans I talk to aren't arrogant and most of us do admit, that FC Barcelona is the better team and the worlds best currently. And as a Real Madrid fan for a decade, I congratulate all barcelonistas for winning the Champions League, it was a deserved win against Manchester United. Next year, we'll make you cry though. =p

Thanks non-spanish GAF for stating the facts. Things like: "Almost perfect e.g. Barca had the ball in the net twice, but one was inexplicably ruled a handball. But that's bygones, I just can't believe someone is naive enough to think "figured out"; parking the bus and having Pepe chop the legs off the midfield is hardly tactical genius."

You cannot say that in Spain because, well, you have RM fans insulting you and saying you have no idea about how football works.

FuturusX said:
Total Masterclass...terrible UTD midfield never had a chance - only a fool thought they could do it.
Bit unfair to say "terrible". Just outclassed.

This Barca side is definitely the best passing side I've seen but considering the possession they have in the last 3rd, they don't score as many as they should in CL games. They can be beaten, but we were just not well enough equipped in centre midfield (defensively) to cut down their passing game.
Too much space was afforded infront of the back four... yet again.

We need a Hargreaves figure desperately.... I am so gutted he's not been able to play for us more. He would make such a difference on nights like these, if if not enough to change the result, we could at least have used a bit more posession to expose their back four who I don't rate too highly defensively.

Poor Hernandez has almost 0 service all night and then people complain about his performance.... not much he could do beside dropping deep which makes no sense because then we have no outlet what so ever.

As with 2009 I was again impressed with Barca's workrate and constant pressing to get the ball back quickly. So simple yet so effective. We needed to do it more as early on we were forcing the mistakes which everyone makes when rushed.

Ah well, roll on some good summer signings and we'll see you back in the final next year hopefully :)

bud said:
united looked archaic. they don't have defenders like pique to build up from the back. it's embarassing how mediocre their squad is, really, when comparing it to barcelona (and madrid).

What?
You pick our (record breaking in this years CL) defence as the point to pick on?
Both our central defenders are stronger and more composed on the ball than Pique is. It's just they had no outlet most of the game as our centre midfield went wondering half the time.
Think you need to watch a few more games of football.

As for squad, almost everyone admits that outside Barcas first 12 (or so?) he squad suffers hugely. Our first 11 isn't as strong no (mainly the midfield imo as I think we have better strikers, central defence and keeper) but I think our squad is deeper.

If you ask people to pick their first 11 players from the 2 teams, theres often more Utd players in there. Go look at the football thread if you don't believe me.

Barca were great and play lovely football, but the hyperbole in here is ridiculous. Not that I am surprised, it's the same in any thread where people are passionate.

Salazar

"Picking my team was easy, but my subs were very difficult," Ferguson said. "I tended to overload in the midfield because I thought that was the area that was most important in terms of the way Barcelona play – the game could be decided there – and the work you need in that central area."

Baffles me that he didn't play someone with disruptive potential like Fletcher. Park was admirable in that respect, but even he gets knackered chasing Barcelona's passing.

Salazar said:
Baffles me that he didn't play someone with disruptive potential like Fletcher. Park was admirable in that respect, but even he gets knackered chasing Barcelona's passing.

Fletcher wasn't fit enough to do any damage against Barca. We simply don't have the players to beat Barca. It's sad but true. I don't blame anyone today. Barca just played to the height of their potential which is enormously scary.

As for Chicha's play, he had no service, and when he did he was offside, which was like 4 times total. That's the risk he had to play with though in order to have a chance to score. I don't blame the midfield. They're just not in the same class as Barca. And they had little opportunity since Barca dominated possession. I thought Valdez kept him in check in the early stages of the game when he was causing their CB's problems. Excellent goal keeping by him.

MMaRsu

Banned
Watched this yesterday with a bunch of friends. Even though we were all for Barca I still found the game extremely boring.

Barca with a few nice moves but waaaaay too much standing around from both teams. Very unspectacular final :(.

liger05

MMaRsu said:
Watched this yesterday with a bunch of friends. Even though we were all for Barca I still found the game extremely boring.

Barca with a few nice moves but waaaaay too much standing around from both teams. Very unspectacular final :(.

No way. Barca were sublime. Passing and moving on a level we dont see from anyone else. I watched the game again today and there were awesome!!

FuturusX

MMaRsu said:

Real Madrid fan right?

(Just kidding)

But seriously Barcelona were on another level. It was a footballing masterpiece of the highest order. I'm sure you just wanted a less one sided affair.

But it was without a doubt spectacular.

Here is the phone-in podcast after the game. Fans and viewers called in to discuss the match.

Download/Listen

"United winning the league was a poor reflection on the quality of the Premier League after watching that final".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom