• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

Shaneus

Is that the latest build? Holy shit if so.

BTW I don't think your name has popped up in the pCARS thread, darkdeus. You should get over there!

NBtoaster

No one does white concrete quite like Dice.

mirrors4jze8a.png

mirrors1d5enq.png

scitek

These are just straight downsampled. No AA. I'm going to try 2xAA next and see what kind of performance hit I get, but I can honestly live with this as even Very High FXAA doesn't get the aliasing I see since it's usually stuff that's shimmering like brick walls and lit-up edges.

iMkaZfQXFcZRD.png

ibxuucCYlTPDla.png

Darkdeus

Is that the latest build? Holy shit if so.

BTW I don't think your name has popped up in the pCARS thread, darkdeus. You should get over there!

Yep these are all unedited shots from the latest build. I've posted some in the pCARs thread but haven't been participating in any of time trial contests yet. I definitely will at some point though.

image005 by darkdeus, on Flickr

image007 by darkdeus, on Flickr

scitek

I can't really express how happy it makes me to see Max Payne and Alan Wake shots on the same page, and have both franchises doing well on the PC. I appreciate the effort both parties put into their products,

Dewoh

Neo Member
I can't really express how happy it makes me to see Max Payne and Alan Wake shots on the same page, and have both franchises doing well on the PC. I appreciate the effort both parties put into their products,

Agreed. Hopefully next time (if there is a next time) the PC's release date will coincide with the console versions.

Solo

I'm completely surprised and incredibly impressed by how great of a port Max is. Amazingly well optimized.

Dewoh

Neo Member
I'm completely surprised and incredibly impressed by how great of a port Max is. Amazingly well optimized.

I just wish it wouldn't cap you. If I want to run it at 16x+ MSAA, at 10 fps, then I should be able to.

Otherwise no complaints.

Personally, just because a game runs great doesnt make it a great port, the controls and UI are important factors, both of which could do with some serious tweaking. Its in the same realm as GTA IV for me (which i also thought was good port after a couple of patches, but control wernt perfect and the UI sure as hell wasnt the most intuitive for a mouse).

Dr. Light

Finally got Witcher 2, haven't had much time to play it because I'm still trying to get the settings right. Here's a comparison:

All settings maxed, ubersampling OFF (regular AA on):
idJ1KNpo0RAQn.jpg

Then I set it to these settings. Turning off bloom/blur/DOF/all that garbage doesn't improve the framerate much (from 56fps to 59 in the shot below), but it looks better.
izily8lVoKEec.JPG

So, ubersampling ON:
i2Gd7VzNJBa4C.jpg

While it maintains 50-60fps, playing with ubersampling crashes my PC every time. Sometimes it lasts 10-15 minutes, other times it freezes immediately upon starting, but I can't get through the tutorial. It's only stable if I play with ubersampling off, but then it's not pushing my rig and it just doesn't look as good.

Is this a bug, or is my air cooling just not good enough for the GPUs to get strained like this? This is the first game that really uses every drop of GPU power I have, and it seems the cooling just doesn't hold up. Not a good sign...

scitek

Finally got Witcher 2

There's a Witcher 2 PC performance thread for just this. I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

Personally, just because a game runs great doesnt make it a great port, the controls and UI are important factors, both of which could do with some serious tweaking. Its in the same realm as GTA IV for me (which i also thought was good port after a couple of patches, but control wernt perfect and the UI sure as hell wasnt the most intuitive for a mouse).

I wouldn't expect this to happen any time soon. They took the time to add platform-specific features for DX11, and it's optimized as Hell. Not saying I wouldn't like the interface to have been changed up a bit, as well as the loading cut down during the cutscenes and things like that, but I'll take a port like MP3 over LA Noire any day of the week.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finally got Witcher 2, haven't had much time to play it because I'm still trying to get the settings right. Here's a comparison:

All settings maxed, ubersampling OFF (regular AA on):
http://i.minus.com/idJ1KNpo0RAQn.jpg

Then I set it to these settings. Turning off bloom/blur/DOF/all that garbage doesn't improve the framerate much (from 56fps to 59 in the shot below), but it looks better.
http://i.minus.com/izily8lVoKEec.JPG

So, ubersampling ON:
http://i.minus.com/i2Gd7VzNJBa4C.jpg

While it maintains 50-60fps, playing with ubersampling crashes my PC every time. Sometimes it lasts 10-15 minutes, other times it freezes immediately upon starting, but I can't get through the tutorial. It's only stable if I play with ubersampling off, but then it's not pushing my rig and it just doesn't look as good.

Is this a bug, or is my air cooling just not good enough for the GPUs to get strained like this? This is the first game that really uses every drop of GPU power I have, and it seems the cooling just doesn't hold up. Not a good sign...
Just be glad your normal AA works. I haven't even played it despite owning it since launch because AA does nothing on my computer and the game is so detailed that it's just a huge mess of shimmering pixels. Though, if I want to play at 15fps and slomo, I can use ubersampling.

Top Bottom