• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

ixzR5rVvyLCtC.jpg

i7UrhVR9yZ5no.jpg

I feel like jim2point0's unmodded W_D shots look better than most of the modded ones I've seen.

I'm definitely liking the game more post-mod. But the DOF can be a bit... overbearing. Luckily that can be disabled.

The creator of the mod said the dof effect would be lessenend in the new update coming today + new stuff

I just don't like it while running around. The problem is that it's based on your characters eye level, but when you're running around looking at eye level, the DOF is enabled at a very short distance. SO I just go into the options and turn it off unless it will look nice in a screenshot.

What I'd really love is a way to toggle the damn HUD on and off without having to bring up the smartphone and time my damn screenshots. It always moves the camera when you press it.

Thorgal

I'm definitely liking the game more post-mod. But the DOF can be a bit... overbearing. Luckily that can be disabled.

I just don't like it while running around. The problem is that it's based on your characters eye level, but when you're running around looking at eye level, the DOF is enabled at a very short distance. SO I just go into the options and turn it off unless it will look nice in a screenshot.

What I'd really love is a way to toggle the damn HUD on and off without having to bring up the smartphone and time my damn screenshots. It always moves the camera when you press it.

While it is not togable . you can get rid of the Hud permanently .
http://www.gamepur.com/guide/14793-how-disable-hud-head-display-watch-dogs-windows-pc.html

Not tested it myself though .

BONKERS

Thanks for this, I tried it out but not sure if I like the results. It does well to remove the aliasing with 4xSGSSAA but comes with a huge FPS hit over what I was running before with the in-game AA set to "maximum". At 3200x1800 I was getting between 30 - 55 FPS with in-game AA and with driver forced 4xSGSSAA i was now getting 8 -10 FPS...and there seems to be a lot more blur than I like at default LOD...may need to tweak this a bit.

I'll do some more testing in an area with better lighting so I can see exactly what's going on to make a more informed decision though. Thanks again for the option!

Oh, and HBAO+ is definitely showing up in my 3200x1800 shots...it is subtle but very noticeable when disabled. HBAO+ is soooo much better than SSAO, I don't even notice it any more where most SSAO produced "shimmering" during motion and annoyed the crap out of me.
Yeah, SGSSAA is a bit expensive in this game. At 1600x900 with my 570, I can only get ~30-50FPS with 8xSGSSAA. http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/79416

I don't know about later parts or what not. But didn't seem to have much blurring in the initial section of the game. A very mild lumasharpen may be preferrable.

Yeah HBAO+ doesn't always play along with every game (Since it basically has to be forced in). But even then it generally blows the tar out of SSAO. Which is ANOTHER reason personally why I really want Metal Gear Solid V to come out on PC. (Besides that it was developed on PC first)

It uses a really ugly SSAO effect on consoles.

He's saying if the Witcher 2 came out right now for next-gen consoles, people would be impressed by its visuals.

The fact that The Witcher 3 looks to be better in every way is just icing on the cake.

Really hoping they get better AA into TW3 (And get rid of the sharpening that TW2 had).

The gameplay video's i've seen so far look amazing aside from some aliasing issues and what seems to be the occasional flickering blob of shadows on grass. Either from shadows or some SSAO or something.
Bought this on a steam sale, when I try to start the game it says I'm missing some physics routines and nothing happens, weird. I'll look into that some other time.

As mentioned. You need the Legacy PhysX installer. Should fix the issue

Also: Shit man, Rockstar should just remake GTAIV for PS4/XBO/PC with the GTAV engine. TBH, even after all those mods it still looks ugly as sin a lot of times.

One3rd

Yeah, SGSSAA is a bit expensive in this game. At 1600x900 with my 570, I can only get ~30-50FPS with 8xSGSSAA. http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/79416

I don't know about later parts or what not. But didn't seem to have much blurring in the initial section of the game. A very mild lumasharpen may be preferrable.
Looking at that screenshot comparison, mine had a lot more texture blur than that at both 4x and 2xSGSSAA. I think I'll go back and take another look.

BONKERS

Looking at that screenshot comparison, mine had a lot more texture blur than that at both 4x and 2xSGSSAA. I think I'll go back and take another look.

hm. Perhaps lower sampled versions are blurrier?

It's not out of the question and wouldn't be the first game it happens with. :|

One3rd

hm. Perhaps lower sampled versions are blurrier?

It's not out of the question and wouldn't be the first game it happens with. :|
I've checked this again and at 3200x1800 there is only a very subtle blur at 2x or 4xSGSSAA compared to ingame max AA setting. See below.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/79418

Strangely, even at 4xSGSSAA there is aliasing on some objects like the basin in the middle. It's a little hard to see in the downsampled image though.

If I was playing this at 1080p or 1440p I'd definitely be using 4xSGSSAA but at 3200x1800 it halves my framerate compared to ingame AA. <sigh> I really do need to get a newer video card.

LOL. Almost looks like he's about to fall flat on his back!

BONKERS

I've checked this again and at 3200x1800 there is only a very subtle blur at 2x or 4xSGSSAA compared to ingame max AA setting. See below.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/79418

Strangely, even at 4xSGSSAA there is aliasing on some objects like the basin in the middle. It's a little hard to see in the downsampled image though.

If I was playing this at 1080p or 1440p I'd definitely be using 4xSGSSAA but at 3200x1800 it halves my framerate compared to ingame AA. <sigh> I really do need to get a newer video card.

Definitely can see.

I also need a new card. Still waiting and hoping for a high end Maxwell this year with a lot of VRAM. I'm still waiting for a compelling reason to upgrade from my i7 950@4Ghz too. (Not just for gaming, but for workstation use with DAW use)

RedSwirl

He's saying if the Witcher 2 came out right now for next-gen consoles, people would be impressed by its visuals.

The fact that The Witcher 3 looks to be better in every way is just icing on the cake.

I don't know about "impressive" but probably adequate for a PS4 or Xbox One launch game, especially compared to all the cross-gen games that were designed with last-gen in mind.

What's impressive about how TW2 looks is that it doesn't use DirectX 10 or 11 at all. Visually it's probably the ultimate DirectX 9 game.

Still don't get this game. Even with the new settings unlocked it just looks off.

Almost like there's no sense of depth, nothing seems to be casting proper self shadows or something. Very flat. Especially during daylight settings. Which, as welcome as the newly found hidden settings are, prove that they aren't what we saw at E3. There was a certain downgrade, that is not reactivated with these mods. Not even close.

14442513575_21dfff0d4a_o_d.jpg

14256077107_e75bb4f15e_o_d.jpg

The only time it looks remotely like anything modern is as night and with water in view.

The water, the explosions and the night lighting are quite nice. But that's little credit to the game's artists, the textures (other than your characters clothing) are poor, the geometry (especially the low poly NPCs and cars) is poor and the setting (two different coloured trees in an open world game...) is bland.

Such a shame, especially being a fan of just big, open and free roaming games.

Bring on the PC version of GTA 5.

14462681073_15a6b71f13_o_d.jpg

14255905698_b73f4ed52f_o_d.jpg

PhilGPT

Especially during daylight settings. Which, as welcome as the newly found hidden settings are, prove that they aren't what we saw at E3.
Did we even see the day time settings in the E3 2012 video? Wasn't it sunset in the beginning, then just at night?

Also, can't unsee those blue lines Unreal :p

DS2, 7680x4800, downsampled. Didnt remove the black bars for that 'filmic' look
aka i was too lazy

darksoulsii2014-06-14msrwj.png

darksoulsii2014-06-1470pd1.png

surprised i actually got 20fps at that res lol

Top Bottom