• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

11761814806_55d3bc7da5_o.png

11761052415_29c7563714_o.png

Full size PNGs are just a PM away!

Durante

Hey Durante, will this thing work on Metal Gear Rising, ya think?
No, this is specifically designed for games that actually ask Windows (or DirectX) which resolutions are available (So, >95% of all 3D PC games :p).
I'm still curious what they did with Rising, but we'll see soon.

By the way, playing a modern game at 7680x4320 on a 660ti is not recommended.

Stein3x

You can try a different method with SoftTH but it requires some additional steps and it doesn't work with some games. Jim & One3rd have already posted some amazing shots here! Durante's method seems to be easier and more reliable but we have to wait to check it. Can't wait once we have support for Dx11/OpenGl ,it will be amazing.

Just for reference :p (Mirror's edge / Remember Me +my poor 560Ti)

Durante

Durante's method seems to be easier and more reliable but we have to wait to check it. Can't wait once we have support for Dx11/OpenGl ,it will be amazing.
At the moment it's neither easy nor reliable, and supporting anything other than DirectX9 is far off :p. What you can say for it is that it's flexible and offers very high quality scaling. I also think it's, well, elegant in how it tricks the applications to offer you the additional resolution in their own settings menus.

Thorgal

At the moment it's neither easy nor reliable, and supporting anything other than DirectX9 is far off :p. What you can say for it is that it's flexible and offers very high quality scaling. I also think it's, well, elegant in how it tricks the applications to offer you the additional resolution in their own settings menus.

Did BONKERS code not help ?

Durante

Did BONKERS code not help ?
It should help, but it only solves a small part of the issues I need to face whenever I get to actually implementing a version for DirectX 11. Which is still far off. Even the DirectX 9 version isn't remotely done yet!

What you can say for it is that it's flexible and offers very high quality scaling.

I look forward to that! The problem with SoftTH is that you're often required to run the game in conjunction with D3D looking glass in order to get the picture to fit on your screen. And with that, it's easy to accidentally click outside the window and lose focus (especially with 2 monitors). That, and the scaling is atrocious. It's definitely a screenshotting only solution.

For example (from DmC):

11763540185_5af745224a_o.jpg

That was captured at 6400x2700. While it looks great in screenshots, it looks worse in-game due to the poor scaling. I prefer to use nvidia downsampling, but I can only go up to 5120x2880 (or 5120x2160 for anamorphic screens). That's pretty darn adequate for most games but I can't fight the temptation to go higher when it's available.

Man you need to chill lol.

ok... =(

Seriously though. The high resolution stuff is just part of the fun for me. For actual gameplay, 3840x2160 is still way to high, let alone 5120x2880. But for screenshots, I find it fun just to see what kind of tricks I can throw at a game to achieve silly high resolutions.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
ok... =(

Seriously though. The high resolution stuff is just part of the fun for me. For actual gameplay, 3840x2160 is still way to high, let alone 5120x2880. But for screenshots, I find it fun just to see what kind of tricks I can throw at a game to achieve silly high resolutions.

I totally feel you on that. It's cool when you're hopping in a new game and after a ton of time finally figure out a way to make the game do what you wanna do. The sweet reward of slideshow framerates and alias free captures though!

Also, I get that resolution chase, I've got 8k Dark Souls screenshots I've been sitting on for ages that I was taking while playing at 1-2 FPS. It's a slog to play through but the riches are worth it.

BONKERS

Wanted to down sample this oldie but it's maxed at 1080 with 16xAA lol.

Loved fly the Anansi in multiplayer mode,nobody stood a chance all those years ago...

ibMDcaJTEddqf.png

inXSkn9NsCinS.png

Sure has aged!

You sure your settings are right? I'm fairly certain the textures on those guns shouldn't be that bad... I played QW a ton

One3rd

I also think it's, well, elegant in how it tricks the applications to offer you the additional resolution in their own settings menus.
This is what I loved about the SoftTH + Looking Glass solution. It allowed me to run games in my native resolution for playing the game and then once setting up a shot, switch to the bullshot resolution, and then back again to a playable frame rate. Really looking forward to seeing what you can do with this, interesting days ahead!

One thing that I wanted to be able to do with SoftTH, but was unable to, was to have multiple resolutions setup at the same time. Specifically for different AR's so that they could be chosen in-game without having to exit first. Is this possible with your solution?

As for performance (and IQ) in Alice, I found that disabling the in-game AA (FXAA I believe) resulted in a huge gain that I was able to put back into rendering a higher resolution. SweetFX with SMAA helped with any left over aliasing. I certainly wasn't able to get the resolutions your getting though. =)

Love the colors you got going on in these DmC shots.

Thanks, I really enjoyed settings some of those up.

I love what you did here.

Totally agree. Glad I was able to sway someone to check out this great game!

11750635163_6ac0f42247_o.jpg

Wow. I played the original EfBB when it first released on the XBOX. I also bought the remakes that came out for the 360 a few years ago. Just bought it again for the PC and can't wait to go through it again with 60fps goodness. Great shots, keep them coming!

What's the easiest way to upload lossless screens to my Steam account?

There's only 1 way that I know of

Step 1: Take lossless screenshot (fraps, afterburner, sweetfx, etc etc)
Step 2: Convert screenshot to JPG (this is required, but you can convert to 100% quality JPG which will still be the same as a PNG)
Step 3: Locate the screenshots folder for your steam game.
Easy method: Right click on the game in your library and then click "view screenshots." Then click "show on disk." You need to have at least 1 steam screenshot for the game for that to work (just snap a quick one with the steam screenshot function).
Step 4: Drag your JPGs into the screenshots folder.
Step 5: Shut down steam and then open it back up. This will force it to reload the screenshots from your folder.
Step 6: Right click game in library -> view screenshots -> select and upload

Steam doesn't compress the shots you upload, which is nice. See example below

Flickr Copy
Steam Copy

One3rd

What's the easiest way to upload lossless screens to my Steam account?
This is a real PITA, Steam needs to make this easier to upload photos.

I did this recently and used the instructions here as a basis for what needed to be done.

The steps required are (thanks to UberNoodle):

1) Open Steam's 'screenshot' applet (right click on the system tray icon for the option)
2) At the bottom of the applet, click 'show on disc'. An Explorer window will open. There may be prior screenshots already there. Keep the folder ready.
3) Close Steam entirely. For this to work, it must NOT be running.
4) In a graphics editor (I recommend Pixlr) edit your screenshots to whatever spec you want.
5) Save and copy them into that waiting folder. Use file names consistant with Steam conventions, ie '2013-01-27_00001.jpg'. Make sure the date is 'now', else these new shots will get buried amongst the older ones. I recommend keeping files sizes smallish, as Steam's uploader is very tempermental.
6) Go back to your editor and resize the screenshots to Steam's thumbnail size (200x112). In the 'thumbnails' folder (you'll have already seen it by now), save them under IDENTICAL file names to their corresponding fullsize shots.
7) Check that your screens and thumbs are consistantly named and in the right places. Make sure you didn't get them around the wrong way.
8) Load Steam again, open the screenshot applet and select your game. Your new screenshots will be there.
9) Press upload and pray that Steam's uploader is in a good mood.

I also found that images with different AR's would require the thumbnail to be resized to 200 pixels wide by whatever long.

[Edit: ninja'd]

Wow. I played the original EfBB when it first released on the XBOX. I also bought the remakes that came out for the 360 a few years ago. Just bought it again for the PC and can't wait to go through it again with 60fps goodness. Great shots, keep them coming!
Thanks! Be sure to check out the compendium for console commands and tricks. BB is so much better with the addition effects from the later release.

This is a real PITA, Steam needs to make this easier to upload photos.

I did this recently and used the instructions here as a basis for what needed to be done.

Some of those steps are completely unnecessary. You don't need special naming. You don't need thumbnails. You only need to drag JPGs into the screenshot folder for the game and restart steam for them to eligible for upload.

Also, screenshot.

11766929295_501bb19029_o.jpg

scitek

Thanks guys. Is it easier to take screenshots with the Steam function, since it'll take lossless screens, and just convert those to lossless jpgs and upload them? Since it names the lossless version the same thing as the lossy jpg, I wouldn't have to worry about naming it something Steam-like.

EDIT: Oh, so the name doesn't matter. Cool. So it's really just a matter of converting the shots to a lossless jpg and then finding the screenshot folder.

Thanks guys. Is it easier to take screenshots with the Steam function, since it'll take lossless screens, and just convert those to lossless jpgs and upload them? Since it names the lossless version the same thing as the lossy jpg, I wouldn't have to worry about naming it something Steam-like.

EDIT: Oh, so the name doesn't matter. Cool. So it's really just a matter of converting the shots to a lossless jpg and then finding the screenshot folder.

I capture my screens with SweetFX because... it captures my SweetFX tweaks :) But yeah, Steam's lossless function should work too if you're playing the game vanilla.

Top Bottom