• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs |OT2| 'Yoff Harder

So be it then. Kings in 2. No that's not realistic. Kings in 1.

So one of my best law school friends is a kings fan and he's here doing the London program as well. This is gonna get awkward.

We are rooting for America in the World Cup right?

Straya, c*nt.

Arp the mighty Socceroos!

2013Dec06075900_450525709.jpg

Aw shit, half of our roster is midgets.

two weeks ago it was "LA has really become a Clippers town"

Before Kobe got hurt, "LA is and always will be a Laker town"

Before that it was "LA is a Dodger town thank to Yasiel Puig!"

5 years ago it was "LA is a Dodger town now that Mannywood is here!"

LA is the worst sports town in America that isn't Atlanta or Florida related.

Maybe in a city of ten million people it can be all those things?

Not L.A.'s fault they can support and get behind several different sports teams. Get over it.

So be it then. Kings in 2. No that's not realistic. Kings in 1.

So one of my best law school friends is a kings fan and he's here doing the London program as well. This is gonna get awkward.

Just show you're a Kings fan too and demonstrate the Dustin Brown/Jarrett Stoll combo special of the knee on knee and elbow to the back of his head.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For all those thinking Bettman got the series he wanted:

Game 7 overnight TV ratings:

Chicago--22.7
LA--4.8

Chicago/NY would have been much better for the league.

kingslunk

Yeah I think you're right. We need more series like the Ducks/Kings series, and more Finals appearances in California. Otherwise nothing will change with those ratings.

The ducks being so close have to hit the kings television ratings also yeah? It would probably reach close to Chicago numbers if they were playing each other in the playoffs?

Calamari41

41 > 38
The ducks being so close have to hit the kings television ratings also yeah? It would probably reach close to Chicago numbers if they were playing each other in the playoffs?

I'm actually not sure what kind of ratings the Ducks tend to get, or what that series got. I do know that regional series tend to not be too hot ratings-wise compared to inter-regional matchups, but I was thinking more for future growth of the market and getting people interested in hockey. I'm not sure if Ducks/Kings added up to be anywhere near the Chicago market, but some more seasons of this and I think it could happen.

Edit: Actually, since the two teams are so close (only about 30 miles apart), I wonder if they even separate out the ratings into Ducks v Kings demos. I would imagine that it is all just "LA Metro Area" ratings.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Depending on how many key players they manage to injure, New-York might manage to win one and push the series to 5.

What happens when Kreider and Brown slide at each other's knees and hit at the same time? I'm imagining some kind of DBZ style energy explosion, where only one of them is standing when the dust settles.

Cake Boss

Banned
I seriously think that NY could win in 6 just for the sole fact that Quick hasnt been that great and has let in some questionable goals in.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Quick has definitely regressed since his dominating performances in the latter half of the Sharks series and the entire Ducks series. He was just stopping everything back then, but against Chicago he just looked normal. Some great saves to be sure, but some sloppy goals against as well.

zroid

Banned
That's the problem with Quick. He's freakishly athletic, but frequently an idiot.

When he finds his groove and his reflexes take over, he'll stop almost anything.

kingslunk

I'm actually not sure what kind of ratings the Ducks tend to get, or what that series got. I do know that regional series tend to not be too hot ratings-wise compared to inter-regional matchups, but I was thinking more for future growth of the market and getting people interested in hockey. I'm not sure if Ducks/Kings added up to be anywhere near the Chicago market, but some more seasons of this and I think it could happen.

Edit: Actually, since the two teams are so close (only about 30 miles apart), I wonder if they even separate out the ratings into Ducks v Kings demos. I would imagine that it is all just "LA Metro Area" ratings.

I'm sure it's an LA Metro area however how many ducks fans were watching the kings series last night? Seems saying LA only received x viewers isn't entirely accurate on the LA market when they have two teams extremely close to each other. If Chicago had two teams would their ratings be a lot lower?

Also you guys are right Dempsey won't carry us :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously think that NY could win in 6 just for the sole fact that Quick hasnt been that great and has let in some questionable goals in.

There are basically three big factors at play here with this particular matchup.

1) Quick. Can he outduel Lundqvist in the series? He hasn't been up to his usual best in these playoffs, but Hank has.

2) Gaborik. He historically eats the Rangers alive and is one of the few snipers in the league who could consistently beat Lundqvist. But he also hasn't played against Hank in several years. Even though he was traded away to a team that joined our division this season at last year's trade deadline, we never saw him as a Blue Jacket, and our games against the Kings were several months before he joined at this year's deadline.

3) How worn down are the Kings? I would argue that their path has been much much more physically taxing than the Rangers' has, even though they've only played 1 game more.

If the Rangers can get to Quick, shut down Gaborik, and use their speed to tire out the Kings, they can absolutely take the series, and they're capable of all of those things. It's another thing to actually pull it off, though. I think Game 1 is close to a must win for the Rangers. It's the only time where they at least theoretically should have a tangible advantage, what with the Kings having to fly back cross-country after a grueling Game 7 overtime. Things will even up after that, especially with 2 days between games 1 and 2.

kingslunk

I think this match up is going to be more entertaining than people might think. Even though I would like the kings to win I'm going to say Rangers in 7.

Quick has definitely regressed since his dominating performances in the latter half of the Sharks series and the entire Ducks series. He was just stopping everything back then, but against Chicago he just looked normal. Some great saves to be sure, but some sloppy goals against as well.

Blackhawks just break him down.

Quick over challenges a lot. Sometimes he'll give up goals that way and then he'll play conservatively which isn't in his personality. I think Quick will be back to bring the greatest goalie of all time next round.

Kings in 4

Top Bottom