• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolver

I was such a big KISS fan growing up. I had the comic book with their blood in it and all the albums. Even those silly solo albums. I was even excited for that crappy TV movie they did, KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park. Sheesh that was awful. My folks hated them so much.

They'll be accepting Nu Metal any year now. Woo!

Deftones need to be in there! Also your username reminds me that Killing Joke should get in too. I doubt it'll ever happen though. Maybe I should start an online petition.

ukas

None of this even makes sense. What even classifies someone as being qualified to be in this HOF or not?

KISS is literally a 40 year old band, and their name was on the ballot for the first time this year?

Rap and Hip-Hop artists get in.

If you don't get in now, it is pretty much guaranteed you get in shortly down the road.

RRHOF is a joke. KISS has been snubbed ever since they've been eligible (eligibility starts 25 years after their first record is released) to be entered. Hell, Alice Cooper was snubbed until he was finally entered a couple of years ago. Another good example is Rush. They had been eligible since 1999, they were voted in in 2013. 14 years of bullshit.

I know it's considered a joke but it always puts a smile on my face when I think about Tom Waits being in. Not a mainstream, popular guy but one of the most important artists in contemporary music IMO. My point, I think there can be some legitimacy to it all. But Yea, eventually most everyone will get in... Maybe?

Kak.efes

Nirvana deserves it, but KISS? Nirvana killed glam, and cock rock, the latter of which KISS personified with their shitty music.

It's funny to see them inducted together.

ukas

Nirvana deserves it, but KISS? Nirvana killed glam, and cock rock, the latter of which KISS personified with their shitty music.

I don't think you realize how big KISS really was back in the day.

Revolver

I wonder who will induct Nirvana? It should make for an entertaining evening when Courtney shows up blitzed and pisses everyone off.

Shame that Yes and the Replacements didn't make the cut. Happy to see Gabriel get in though.

MechDX

I don't think you realize how big KISS really was back in the day.

All the younger kids posting in here don't realize how big they were. They just despise them for all the merchandising they do and consider them sell outs. To which Gene Simmons laughs at them.

bjork

I'm not a KISS guy myself, but I also can't deny that their fanbase is bigger than most people would probably care to admit. I used to know a diehard KISS guy and it was serious business.

Once they have you, it's over. You start saying shit like Merry KISSmas and whatnot.

Too bad the 'Mats didn't get in. Then again. Who fucking cares. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a fucking joke.

Yes, The Zombies, The Replacements. You got to be fucking kidding me. The Zombies ought to be a shoo in.

Todd Rundgren too.

Dishwalla

Banned

This post is kind of ironic, because KISS was a huge influence on Kurt Cobain. Like really huge. Remember Kurt was growing up in the mid to late 70s when KISS was ruling the world.

P.S., check the album artwork for Nevermind, and tell me if you see a certain glam rock band's photo somewhere in there.

Dishwalla

Banned
^KISS changed rock music as much as Nirvana would fifteen years later. A whole decade of Motley Crues and Poisons are the direct product of KISS. Hell, Van Halen would never have happened if it weren't for KISS(Gene Simmons "discovered" Van Halen, and delivered an early demo tape to his record label, garnering the band attention). How is hair metal any worse than all the Nickelbacks and Puddle of Mudds that Nirvana's influence is directly responsible for?

You guys are letting your biases get in the way of history. For the record I dislike both KISS and Nirvana about equally, but I also do agree with their induction.

Zizbuka

Banned
Nirvana? smh.. most overrated rock band imo

It's an unpopular sentiment, but I completely agree. But the hall of FAME is a joke. It's only purpose is to make somebody money, so they lean towards names that will draw people. Although I've never spoken to anyone who had any interest in visiting.

Kiss without the makeup wouldn't have lasted long, their music is pretty bad.

^KISS changed rock music as much as Nirvana would fifteen years later. A whole decade of Motley Crues and Poisons are the direct product of KISS. Hell, Van Halen would never have happened if it weren't for KISS(Gene Simmons "discovered" Van Halen, and delivered an early demo tape to his record label, garnering the band attention). How is hair metal any worse than all the Nickelbacks and Puddle of Mudds that Nirvana's influence is directly responsible for?

You guys are letting your biases get in the way of history. For the record I dislike both KISS and Nirvana about equally, but I also do agree with their induction.

they're just a rip off of new york dolls and alice cooper with even shittier music

cobain's love of them might be based on nostalgia

Dishwalla

Banned
But the hall of FAME is a joke. It's only purpose is to make somebody money, so they lean towards names that will draw people.

In the end that's all the whole music industry is all about, that's all that Nirvana and KISS were ever all about, and it's the only reason things like Rolling Stone magazine and MTV exist. It's all there to get you, the consumer, to spend your hard earned money on the product. KISS had an avalanche of merchandise in the late 70s, everything from comic books to action figures. Once Nevermind hit it big all the labels got the Alternative Rock train, signing anyone they could. It's all about money. But it still doesn't diminish the band names or the legacies. To this day you still see people walking around in KISS T-shirts, you still hear people talk about "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

For these reasons alone they are worthy of being in the Rock n Roll Hall of FAME, as you so put it. Because, in all honesty, exactly how famous are bands like Yes and The Replacements? Not very famous at all, not many people could name a single Yes song, where just about anyone can name more than one KISS or Nirvana song.

they're just a rip off of new york dolls and alice cooper with even shittier music

cobain's love of them might be based on nostalgia

This does nothing to change their influence. All this shows is your bias against them.

They defined music on the early 90s and basically killed hair metal and 80s fashion.

For that, they deserve to be in.

sorry but I completely disagree with that statement. there were lot of bands doing the same as Nirvana did: Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins Sonic Youth,.. but they were a commercial hit. that's their real achievement in my opinion, but they didn't reinvent rock or invented alt. rock

DiscoJer

KISS was basically super popular for about 4 years - 1976 to 1979, but they really didn't do any thing original.

The glam stuff had been done for years before them. By the time 1979 rolled around, they were doing disco songs and shortly after that, KISS was washed up, until they made a comeback in the 90s (and now, thanks to Family Guy and reality TV)

'80s heavy metal owe more to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Montrose and the New York Dolls more than they owe anything to KISS

KISS was basically super popular for about 4 years - 1976 to 1979, but they really didn't do any thing original.

The glam stuff had been done for years before them. By the time 1979 rolled around, they were doing disco songs and shortly after that, KISS was washed up, until they made a comeback in the 90s (and now, thanks to Family Guy and reality TV)

'80s heavy metal owe more to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Montrose and the New York Dolls more than they owe anything to KISS

woa, I couldn't have explained it any better, well done man

Dishwalla

Banned

Right, and if you talked to anyone in any band from Bon Jovi and Winger to Metallica and Megadeth about their influences, KISS is going to be brought up sooner than later(I guarantee within the first four or five bands they'd name). Of course all those bands were highly influential on 80s rock, but KISS was right alongside them.

Also, half of those bands are already in the HOF, and so is Sammy Hagar(Montrose is unlikely to be in for quite a while, if ever; Sammy was way more famous solo or in VH than in Montrose). The other half aren't exactly what I'd call famous, unless you count "More Cowbell" as famous(though I agree Deep Purple belongs in the Hall).

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Acts that made the final ballot but did not make the cut for induction are Yes, N.W.A, Chic, the Meters, Deep Purple, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, LL Cool J, the Replacements, Link Wray and the Zombies.
Boooo!

Deep purple and iron maiden are not in the hall. I will not ever be able to take it seriously because of the lengthy duration of time they've taken to get picked.

Dishwalla

Banned
And I'm not saying that the Hall isn't bullshit(and I do have an issue with some bands not being included yet), I'm saying I understand why the bands that are in there are in there. Guess what bands are likely to make it in in the future, names like Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, The Offspring, Sublime, and Foo Fighters. Now guess which ones aren't likely to get in, despite how influential they may be. Names like Jawbreaker, Fugazi, and Flipper, or even Black Flag or Dead Kennedy's(because lord knows they aren't past their eligibility point). The big names are shoe ins, the lesser names aren't, and as much as it might hurt you guys, stuff like Yes and New York Dolls and T-Rex are classified in the "lesser name" section when it comes to the Hall of Fame.

Nirvana and KISS both deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, that's all there is to it. The fact that either band still causes a stir even though it's been decades since their height of popularity is a testament to this.

HunkyDory

Neo Member
KISS are an awesome band, and I have to believe that the people who rubbish them don't have any clue about how talented these guys are or how much of an influence they've had on music. Lots of bands got up on stage wearing make-up and high heels before and after KISS, and any band can set of fireworks and and breath fire, but there's a reason why KISS are the only ones still touring the world 40 years later: they have a tonne of bloody good songs and they know how to put on a show.

I think it's fantastic that Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons are still playing. I've seen KISS play a few times now and there is nothing like it. It's pure, unadulterated fun.

Critics have always shat on KISS, but they still have a massive fanbase and always get major props from their peers. Alice Cooper called them America's greatest rock band last week. KISS took bands like Judas Priest, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Rush out to open for them. Most bands from that period cite KISS as a major influence - even Nile Rodgers took a lot from them when Chic were formed.

Seeing Alice Cooper reunite for their hall of fame induction was awesome, and I hope that the original line up can put their differences aside and get up and play together on the night. I'd love to see Gene, Paul, Peter and Ace play together one last time.

And someone else killed Nirvana-style gloomy teen geek angst and so on.

Fashion, how does that work.

JABEE

The Zombies were underrated.

Edit: Wait, T Rex (Marc Bolan) isn't in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame? The man who Bowie stole his act from?

andymcc

Banned
I'd guess KISS and Bowie played into that genre existing at all, quite heavily.

??

While Glam sorta existed I'd say Bowie was the one that popularized it more than anyone else.

edit: fuck Kiss, Replacements kick the shit out of them.

KISS.

But not Yes? Nope. Can't accept.

I remember the douche headguy of this thing disliked Rush, and so he wouldn't let Rush get inducted for a long time. Iirc.

Silly hall of fames. But still, Hall and Oates fuck yiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom