• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Draft |OT| The Resurrection of the Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

They'd have to give up more than that (as a Kings fan).

Not worth it. As we saw last year (Wiggins for Love), it's incredibly risky to hand out top-tier talent for guys who have never accomplished anything in the league. I'd rather have Randle and Russell/Okafor than DMC.

Not worth it. As we saw last year (Wiggins for Love), it's incredibly risky to hand out top-tier talent for guys who have never accomplished anything in the league. I'd rather have Randle and Russell/Okafor than DMC.

I feel like this is an argument in favor of trading the pick and Randle for DMC. Either way if the Lakers were given the opportunity to trade #2 + Randle for DMC they should take it as soon as possible.

Bowser

Would you really though? Do we even know if Randle can play in this league? He's short for the position, can't stretch the floor, and already has a ton of lower body/leg/foot injury issues.

I think Russell is the only guy that could potentially make you regret that trade, and I don't think the Lakers even plan on taking him.

I think a Randle/Okafor front court is a disaster waiting to happen. Don't think you can win with that front court.

Bowser

That's what I saw one writer mention. I dunno if Barnes is quite good enough for teams to accept that, but we'll see.

He's probably not if you're packaging him with Lee.

Yeah I don't think it's that Barnes isn't good enough, it's that packaging him with Lee means a team has to take on something like $15m in salary. And then you have to factor in giving an extension to Barnes as well.

Gigglepoo

I think a Randle/Okafor front court is a disaster waiting to happen. Don't think you can win with that front court.

Maybe. I don't watch much college basketball. I like what I saw of both players but have no idea (other than what I've heard) how they'll translate.

I just think DMC is too big of a risk. He's like a young Derek Coleman. I might take the risk if Boogie was my second or third best player and I had a coach who could control him, but with Byron Scott and a crumbling Kobe? No way.

Bowser

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8m8 minutes ago
Y! Sources: Charlotte's shopping Cody Zeller hard for wing players. If Zeller gets moved, Frank Kaminsky will be serious candidate at No. 9.

...ok.

edit: couple of options off the top of my head:

1. CHA trades Zeller and Marvin Williams to Portland for Nic Batum
2. CHA trades Zeller and Marvin Williams to Toronto for Demar DeRozan
3. CHA trades Zeller, Marvin Williams, Gerald Henderson, and Matt Barnes for Joe Johnson
4. CHA trades Zeller and Marvin Williams to Phoenix for Eric Bledsoe (lol)

That's what I saw one writer mention. I dunno if Barnes is quite good enough for teams to accept that, but we'll see.

You're probably not getting anything for Lee from a team who expects to be good next year (OKC, Phoenix, etc). Their best bet is Brooklyn which will require their 2016 first as well.

Maybe. I don't watch much college basketball. I like what I saw of both players but have no idea (other than what I've heard) how they'll translate.

I just think DMC is too big of a risk. He's like a young Derek Coleman. I might take the risk if Boogie was my second or third best player and I had a coach who could control him, but with Byron Scott and a crumbling Kobe? No way.

We've had this argument in the offseason thread a ton but essentially what you're hoping Okafor turns in to is Boogie. If everything goes perfectly for Okafor and Randle then yeah you wouldn't do that trade but I think most teams would take their chances on a 24 year old Cousins who is already a star and is locked up for three more years.

Gigglepoo

We've had this argument in the offseason thread a ton but essentially what you're hoping Okafor turns in to is Boogie. If everything goes perfectly for Okafor and Randle then yeah you wouldn't do that trade but I think most teams would take their chances on a 24 year old Cousins who is already a star and is locked up for three more years.

I'd trust Cousins much more in Boston. Byron Scott doesn't instill much confidence.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Hopefully SOMETHING happens tonight. The celts dangling Smart worries me, given they were so commited to him prior to that offer. Don't get me wrong I'd do it in a heartbeat, but still, it's concerning none-the-less.

see5harp

While I agree with you on the coach thing (Boogie needs someone that can control but also respect him like Mike Malone did), Randle who basically sat out the season and an unproven pick is not worth the best big man in the league behind Anthony Davis.

spyder_ur

Shamelessly copying and posting my post from yesterday in the NBA thread:

Who are some of your favorite guys in the draft? Least favorite (for where they'll be picked)?

As guards in the late teens - early second I really like all of Terry Rozier, Delon Wright and Jerian Grant. I feel like all of those guys have good shots to be solid 3rd/combo guards.

I also really like Hollis-Jefferson. Aside from the guys in the top 5 or so, I feel most confident that he'll have a relatively productive, long career. He does a ton of things well.

I'm 100% sold on Russell as a pro and feel like he probably has the highest floor. He was seeing things at an NBA level last year.

I'm down on Kaminsky a bit. Wisconsin ran everything through him, and NBA teams won't do that to play to his strengths, he's not talented enough. I hardly hate him, but I expect to see a bunch of his little spins move layups get thrown back in his face next year. I have no idea what I expect Lyles to be because he was playing out of place on Kentucky.

Myles Turner scares the crap out of me as a Celtics fan because I think there's a decent chance the Celts end up with him - I'm envisioning panic attacks watching him try to defend ball screens.

I love Cauley-Stein though for almost the exact same reasons I dislike Turner, at least for the Cs.

I fucking love the NBA draft. The lack of Simmons podcasts is crushing me right now; I'm following Jonathan Givogny and Chad Ford's radio spots but it's not the same. He would be going insane with Celtics/Lakers/Clips stuff.

goku1693

They'd have to give up more than that (as a Kings fan).

Exactly, Lakers DO NOT need to make that trade. Way to expensive and not worth it. Cousins finally had a really good year and everybody is jumping at him. Much rather just stay put and build a solid team for the next 8-10 years.

Exactly, Lakers DO NOT need to make that trade. Way to expensive and not worth it. Cousins finally had a really good year and everybody is jumping at him. Much rather just stay put and build a solid team for the next 8-10 years.

He finally had a really good year? Again, Randle and Okafor could be great, they could be busts or they could be something in between the two but Cousins is already a star.

I feel like a lot of people are seriously undervaluing someone as young as Cousins that's as good as he already is.

goku1693

He finally had a really good year? Again, Randle and Okafor could be great, they could be busts or they could be something in between the two but Cousins is already a star.

I feel like a lot of people are seriously undervaluing someone as young as Cousins that's as good as he already is.

Let me clarify, I meant Good as in no ref scuffles or general unruliness. He played like a true All Star. But I am worried about his maturity level and if he can maintain his level of play for the next 5-6 years.

Id just take Jahlil, I don't like Cousins attitude, and I don't think it with the Lakers, he would fit in with the Clippers, since he complains on every whistle that has ever been blown. He even complains when he gets the call, Ive never seen anything like it before.

Lol you guys are crazy. As a Lakers fan I would send Okafor+Randle for Cousins in a heartbeat. Dude is only 24 and already probably the best center (along with Gasol). Obviously it would take more than that though, probably Clarkson. Which I would also do.

I will be more than happy with just taking Okafor/Russell though.

Lol you guys are crazy. As a Lakers fan I would send Okafor+Randle for Cousins in a heartbeat. Dude is only 24 and already probably the best center (along with Gasol). Obviously it would take more than that though, probably Clarkson. Which I would also do.

I will be more than happy with just taking Okafor/Russell though.

You would trade the #2 pick, Randall, and Clarkson all for Cousins?

I am glad you are not running the Lakers. We are not talking about Steph Curry here, or Lebron James, we are talking about cousins man

You would trade the #2 pick, Randall, and Clarkson all for Cousins?

I am glad you are not running the Lakers.

Well Clarkson and Randle aren't exactly 5 star prospects so to speak. Okafor could be amazing but who knows. I would take my chances with a top 10 player and then build through free agency.

Well Clarkson and Randle aren't exactly 5 star prospects so to speak. Okafor could be amazing but who knows. I would take my chances with a top 10 player and then build through free agency.

I don't think we know what Randall is going to be yet. I was not impressed but hopeful with what i saw last Preseason. I hope this year will have helped him. I didn't mean to sound like a dick face. I'm just frustrated with the front office of the Lakers. 9/10 decisions they make are the wrong ones.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I actually find this draft really intriguing, but seriously people say this every year in the lead up (including myself) so I found that kinda funny.

This one is for sure exciting. Last year we had Wiggins and that's about it. Last couple of years before that it's been Sixers PFs, Centers and some Euros two three years away from playing.

We got the Boogie sweepstakes this year plus a ton of talented players out of college who can play right away plus intriguing Euro/Foreign players who will play Day 1 as opposed to to waiting a few years e.g. Nikola Mirotic, Ricky Rubi etc.

I think this is the most exciting draft since the Kevin Durant/Greg Oden draft.

I don't think we know what Randall is going to be yet. I was not impressed but hopeful with what i saw last Preseason. I hope this year will have helped him. I didn't mean to sound like a dick face. I'm just frustrated with the front office of the Lakers.

I mainly don't like how an Okafor+Randle frontcourt would function, and I think Clarkson will end up being an average starting PG considering how deep the position currently is. We're not going to be good soon so might as well try and get one big time player to build around via free agency. edit: Okafor could very well end up being that guy though so I'm not too worried either way.

Bowser

Again, Lakers fans, it's RANDLE.

Randle and Clarkson are scrubs compared to DMC. Dude is a legitimate All-NBA player. You could even argue he is a top 10 player (although more likely somewhere between 10-15) RIGHT NOW. And he's just 24 and locked up for another 3 years to boot.

You do that trade in a heartbeat.

I mainly don't like how an Okafor+Randle frontcourt would function, and I think Clarkson will end up being an average starting PG considering how deep the position currently is. We're not going to be good soon so might as well try and get one big time player to build around via free agency. edit: Okafor could very well end up being that guy though so I'm not too worried either way.

But hes like Rasheed Wallace squared. Dude complains and racks up T's way too much no?

Omega

Banned
Again, Lakers fans, it's RANDLE.

Randle and Clarkson are scrubs compared to DMC. Dude is a legitimate All-NBA player. You could even argue he is a top 10 player (although more likely somewhere between 10-15) RIGHT NOW. And he's just 24 and locked up for another 3 years to boot.

You do that trade in a heartbeat.

People prefer quantity > quality for some reason.

I like Cousins but I'd be hesitant on that trade too. Cousins is very, very good, he's on a team friendly contract, he's young, but he's not a Tim Duncan or Anthony Davis-tier prospect here. I'm not necessarily Okafor's biggest fan, but Okafor projects in a similar way to Cousins. Both are huge. Both are traditional back to the basket scorers. Neither are explosive athletically. Both are suspect defensively. Obviously, the biggest difference is that DMC is a known quantity while Okafor could bust for a variety of reasons, but I could see why it wouldn't be a slam dunk deal to gut your entire roster for one player who isn't exactly at that LeBron/AD/Durant level. Remember everyone thought Kevin Love was a sure thing too when he was putting up 25/15 on shitty Minny teams now many have soured on him.

It'd be a tough decision to have to make, but I can see both sides of it. I would not have a problem with just keeping the pick, taking Okafor (or Russell), and just rolling with a young core of Okafor/Randle/Cousins and whoever we can get with the later draft picks. Even if those guys are superstars, even if they are good you have them + a shitload of cap space in 2016 and 2017 when there could be a lot of talent available via free agency, to build around. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

It doesn't sound like the Cousins is going to be traded, but as a Lakers fan, I'd ship out Randle/Okafor/Clarkson for Cousins + 6th pick. We don't even know if Randle and Okafor are going to pan out, and not sure if Clarkson would be getting better going forward.

It doesn't sound like the Cousins is going to be traded, but as a Lakers fan, I'd ship out Randle/Okafor/Clarkson for Cousins + 6th pick. We don't even know if Randle and Okafor are going to pan out, and not sure if Clarkson would be getting better going forward.

Sac is not throwing in the 6th pick too. That's a pipe dream.

As a Knicks fan, I'm hoping for Porzingas, as scary as that is to say. This is assuming Towns and Russell are off the board. 7'1 without shoes on, 7'6 wingspan, good shooter with a quick release, and only 20 years old? I'm all in on the Latvian Lion! Also, Ryan Russillo said he'd take him at #2 so there's that. DO IT KNICKS!!!

I don't think the Lakers will win 30 games this year anyways, so I guess who cares at the end of the day.

I don't think the Lakers will win 30 games this year anyways, so I guess who cares at the end of the day.

Next year's pick is only top 3 protected so we need to be extra bad. 30 games isn't gonna cut it, but I believe that Byron Scott and a team of young rooks can work wonders. The Con for Thon continues!

Shamelessly copying and posting my post from yesterday in the NBA thread:

Who are some of your favorite guys in the draft? Least favorite (for where they'll be picked)?

As guards in the late teens - early second I really like all of Terry Rozier, Delon Wright and Jerian Grant. I feel like all of those guys have good shots to be solid 3rd/combo guards.

I also really like Hollis-Jefferson. Aside from the guys in the top 5 or so, I feel most confident that he'll have a relatively productive, long career. He does a ton of things well.

I'm 100% sold on Russell as a pro and feel like he probably has the highest floor. He was seeing things at an NBA level last year.

I'm down on Kaminsky a bit. Wisconsin ran everything through him, and NBA teams won't do that to play to his strengths, he's not talented enough. I hardly hate him, but I expect to see a bunch of his little spins move layups get thrown back in his face next year. I have no idea what I expect Lyles to be because he was playing out of place on Kentucky.

Myles Turner scares the crap out of me as a Celtics fan because I think there's a decent chance the Celts end up with him - I'm envisioning panic attacks watching him try to defend ball screens.

I love Cauley-Stein though for almost the exact same reasons I dislike Turner, at least for the Cs.

I fucking love the NBA draft. The lack of Simmons podcasts is crushing me right now; I'm following Jonathan Givogny and Chad Ford's radio spots but it's not the same. He would be going insane with Celtics/Lakers/Clips stuff.

I like Jerian Grant, good defender with size. Takes care of the ball. He can shoot the ball. I would be happy with at 20 for the Raptors. I don't know about Wright, he seems to be a good backup that is for sure. Don't know why the Celtics need him. What I like about both players how they don't force a bad play and do all the little things. Wright has great size as well, which gives him some promise, he does all the other stuff as well when it defending and getting rebounds.

Interested in Richaun Holmes. He is the ideal compliment for JV, and good rim protector and he can bring some versatility for the small line up. Good shooter as well of course. Problem is we have Patrick Patterson, who brings similar skillset withour the defense of course.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson, RAPTORS NEED A WING DEFENDER. Ross isn't that guy no matter what we try to make him as. Ross is Ross. I think Rondae can guard PGs if need be. If he can improve his jump shot then damn.. He is already a decent slasher.

Cauley Stein reminds me of Amir Johnson early days. Because I see him as a Faried and Noah like defense. Clearly, he would be lethal on pick and rolls. Amir Johnson had similar promise before his ankles gave out.

About Russell, I think he will be a good, dude has great handles and has the size to play some 2, plus can guard both positions. He has good passing as well. I see why the 76ers would want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom