• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Draft |OT| The Resurrection of the Lakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyle77

Can sixers end up with another center that will be injured for the year?

Can the Hornets end up with another tall, lanky pf that can shoot well (but never does)?

I think Kaminsky gets a little too much hate. He's basically Olynyk except he knows he's 7 feet tall and knows how to use his size. He definitely shouldn't go in the top 5 and arguably the top 10, but he's well worth taking around the 11-15 range.

jehuty

Bucks fan here...... yeah. Well we need a center who isn't insane like Larry Sanders was. We could also use a guard because I don't think Middleton is the answer. I know Kaminsky isn't a true center, but if somehow he falls down to #17, the Bucks have to pick him up. Point is, Bucks desperately need scorers, our defense is already solid. With Kaminsky, due to his ability to shoot the 3 ball, defenses would be stretched, leaving Giannis, Parker, and our merry cast of scrubs to do damage. Oh yeah, MWC works out well at the #1, trouble is, he has no one to pass to that can score. If Kaminsky isn't available, then the Bucks should go with Kevon Looney or try a decent scoring guard.

I watched him closely this year. I don't think he was really trying to play defense. He was in "don't get hurt" mode on that end of the court.

And

Michael Krzyzewski said:
In the tournament, we were the best defensive team. That’s why when they say Jah can’t defend the ball screen – c’mon, man. We also don’t want him away from the bucket. We also don’t want him in foul trouble.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/q-a-wi...how-he-d-change-the-game-232724965-ncaab.html

That said, it's still an obvious area for improvement.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I watched him closely this year. I don't think he was really trying to play defense. He was in "don't get hurt" mode on that end of the court.

And his Coach was also in a "we really dont want to play Marshall Plumlee" mode. His foul rate percentage in the post was an absurdly low 7.7% while Towns was over 31%. Basically the other guys they were playing with dictated how aggressive they were on defense, Duke had zero other bigs worth shit. Kentucky didn't have that problem.

Fjordson

Okafor is gutter trash on D (and at the line) but you just hope that improves with some decent coaching + more effort. You draft him for his crazy post game. Pretty good passer on the block also.

Okafor is gutter trash on D (and at the line) but you just hope that improves with some decent coaching + more effort. You draft him for his crazy post game. Pretty good passer on the block also.

The kid is 19...I just hope that his age is simply responsible for his weaknesses and that he will simply improve over the years....fingers crossed.

Fjordson

The kid is 19...I just hope that his age is simply responsible for his weaknesses and that he will simply improve over the years....fingers crossed.
I think it will be better. And Duke was a lot better in the NCAA tourney on D.

Honestly the most annoying thing is the free throws. I don't know what his percentage was on live jumpers, but he's so bad at the line. Dwight Howard and Deandre Jordan are getting a new recruit for the hack-a-big posse.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Lakers should take Okafor and not think twice.

That post game is nuts. With that touch and array of moves, he could already be scoring on a center like Dwight day 1 in the NBA.

My patented Lakers fan delusion is kicking in and imagining a front court of Okafor and Love. That would be so beautiful on offense. Defensively....

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I don't understand how it's possible to be 7'0 tall, athletic and not a good defender. Kevin Love is not athletic. If you can jump high with hands extended and move somewhat quickly you'll be solid.

Jahlil will be at the very least a solid defensive presence down low as he adjusts to the NBA.

ahoyle77

I don't understand how it's possible to be 7'0 tall, athletic and not a good defender. Kevin Love is not athletic. If you can jump high with hands extended and move somewhat quickly you'll be solid.

Jahlil will be at the very least a solid defensive presence down low as he adjusts to the NBA.

Defense is about effort. Thing that scares me about Okafor is his desire. Looking at his body, if he lost 15 lbs and got in great shape, he'd no doubt go 1. How bad does he want it?

brownsteinlma.jpg

OK so maybe I like the Blazers after all....

I'm listening to Dig Me Out right now

Honestly the most annoying thing is the free throws. I don't know what his percentage was on live jumpers, but he's so bad at the line. Dwight Howard and Deandre Jordan are getting a new recruit for the hack-a-big posse.

Ewwww.....hack-a-big tactic is so fucking boring.

see5harp

DMC has had issues in the past, but a lot of it was a result of just playing on terrible teams and wanting to win so bad. Before he went out this year with a viral infection, and Mike Malone got fired, dude was unstoppable and was looked like a great teammate. He just wants to win.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
God. Every step they made last year after that great start was face palm after face palm

The owner so badly wants to be Golden State, but seems to be making moves for the sake of doing anything possible to look proactive.

Bowser

While Cho and MJ are at it, they should place a call to Divac and see if they can pry Cousins from Sacto lol. We'll send Big Al, Marvin's expiring contract, and the 9th pick and take back one of Landry or Thompson's contracts.

Do it Vivek!

Serious question how can they fuck it up? They don't even have a roster. It's just Melo and some dudes.

Taking Kaminsky or Lyles at 4 is how

Wool

Towns scares me.. Almost kind of want the sure thing in Okafor

I think you are confusing Flip with our former GM Kahn the idiot.

Flip's got a good record as a GM

Okafor is not a sure thing. IMO Towns is going to be wayyy better. He's so much better on defense and has a much better shooting range. Okafor is like ~50% on free throws, Towns can hit mid-range shots.

I also kind of like how much Towns favored the Wolves over the past few weeks. He did not workout for LA but he worked out for us. The fact that he seems to prefer Minneapolis to Los Angeles brings me a lot of pleasure. I think he's friends with Wiggins, so that helps, but still.

Okafor is not a sure thing. IMO Towns is going to be wayyy better. He's so much better on defense and has a much better shooting range. Okafor is like ~50% on free throws, Towns can hit mid-range shots.

I also kind of like how much Towns favored the Wolves over the past few weeks. He did not workout for LA but he worked out for us. The fact that he seems to prefer Minneapolis to Los Angeles brings me a lot of pleasure. I think he's friends with Wiggins, so that helps, but still.

He didn't workout for LA because he knows he's going first overall and there's no point in risking an injury for a pointless workout. Don't look into it too much past that.

Cheebo

Banned

He didn't work out for LA because he knows he is going first. You are reading way too much into it. It's not that he likes Minneapolis over LA, he just knows he is 100% going to Minnesota. I highly doubt there is a single player who will go in the first round who would pick Minnesota if given a choice of which team they are going to lol.

Sotha_Sil

Wonder what my Magic will be doing. It seems like the team has gotten younger every year since Dwight left. We have an absurd amount of cap space and I don't think any of our main players are over 24 years old. Lots of guys who might develop into something good, it's just frustrating waiting for it to happen. Previous coach sucked, we never should have fired Stan for Dwight's fucking ego.

Vucevic at the 5 is good (thanks Philly and LA!), Oladipo at the 2 is good, and Easy at the 1 was a god damned steal (thanks Philly!). 3 and 4 are big question marks.

Aaron Gordon was injured most of last year. He's a stud defender and can guard multiple positions very well, but he doesn't really fit on offense yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom