• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

Nick Pal

Skyrim so cinema

enb_2015_03_13_22_03_59_91_by_confidence_man-d8lnu4a.jpg

That's incredible for an in-game shot. I never get tired of seeing Skyrim shots. I put 422 hours into the game and never wanted to leave. :)

I can't find where I'm supposed to post art/concept type things. I don't even know if this counts as art, it was effectively my own screenshot just fed through a filter, though you have control over some things on sliders. I used www.fotosketcher.com for it, and you can actually save the image before it's done processing which is what I did here. I think it turned out a lot better with the brushstrokes not being as refined. It's more dynamic and kinda gives it movement.

From Hawken:
018rus1.jpg

This other one is done with a different filter (they have effects like brushstroke, watercolor, pen and ink and so on) and I think it's pretty spot-on for a "historic" looking war-torn scene.

From World of Tanks:
02s1uck.jpg

Please let me know if I should be posting in a different thread with this kind of stuff.

Cool stuff..one wouldn't even know they came from a video game.

What AA method are you using? whats your frame rate?

I was using ENB's edge AA and temporal AA, downsampled from 2880 * 1620. FPS was about 20 at the time on my GTX 670, but it ran much better whenever I disabled some of the heavier effects or lowered their quality. Once I've finished the ENB I'll be releasing a performance version too.

I was using ENB's edge AA and temporal AA, downsampled from 2880 * 1620. FPS was about 20 at the time on my GTX 670, but it ran much better whenever I disabled some of the heavier effects or lowered their quality. Once I've finished the ENB I'll be releasing a performance version too.

I use SMAA but yours look so much cleaner than mine. Doesn't Temporal AA add blur?

I use SMAA but yours look so much cleaner than mine. Doesn't Temporal AA add blur?

SMAA doesn't seem to work in Skyrim for me. Edge AA + temporal blur are pretty much as good as it gets if you're playing Skyrim with an ENB. And temporal AA does indeed add blur, but I counter it with a colour-based sharpening shader!

I know, but installing that won't make your water look like the screenshots - it just adds in more visible sun lighting to water. You still need to change your ENB's water settings, which is what I was asking about.

Anyway, some more shots from my WIP ENB.

16787947306_9a3a2b9bc0_o.jpg

16191469704_178c184627_o.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Please share, that looks awesome!
This is what my SkyrimPrefs.ini looks like, with the most important line in bold:

[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000
iStoryManagerLoggingEvent=-1
bEnableStoryManagerLogging=0
[Imagespace]
bDoDepthOfField=0
iRadialBlurLevel=0
[Display]
iBlurDeferredShadowMask=0
fInteriorShadowDistance=0.0000
fShadowDistance=0.0000
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=0
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=0
iShadowSplitCount=0
iMaxAnisotropy=0
fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=0.0000
fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=0.0000
fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=0.0000
fGamma=1.0000
fDecalLOD2=0.0000
fDecalLOD1=0.0000
fSpecularLODStartFade=0.0000
fShadowLODStartFade=0.0000
fLightLODStartFade=1000.0000
iTexMipMapMinimum=0
iTexMipMapSkip=1811939328
iWaterMultiSamples=0
iMultiSample=0
iShadowMode=0
bTreesReceiveShadows=0
bDrawLandShadows=0
bDrawShadows=0
bFull Screen=1
iSize H=1080
iSize W=1920
fMeshLODFadePercentDefault=0.0000
fMeshLODFadeBoundDefault=256.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeTreeDistance=0.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeTreeDistance=0.0000
fMeshLODLevel2FadeDist=10000000.0000
fMeshLODLevel1FadeDist=10000000.0000
iScreenShotIndex=2
bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
bMainZPrepass=0
iMaxSkinDecalsPerFrame=0
iMaxDecalsPerFrame=0
bFloatPointRenderTarget=1
sD3DDevice="ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics "
bFXAAEnabled=1
iShadowMapResolution=0
fShadowBiasScale=0.0000
iShadowMaskQuarter=4
iAdapter=0
iPresentInterval=1
iShadowFilter=3
bShadowsOnGrass=1
bTransparencyMultisampling=0
bDeferredShadows=1
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=0
fGrassStartFadeDistance=0.0000
fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=0.0000
fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0000
[MAIN]
bGamepadEnable=1
bCrosshairEnabled=0
fHUDOpacity=0.0000
bSaveOnPause=1
bSaveOnTravel=1
bSaveOnWait=1
bSaveOnRest=1
fSkyCellRefFadeDistance=150000.0000
[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=1
bShowQuestMarkers=1
iDifficulty=2
[Interface]
bDialogueSubtitles=0
bGeneralSubtitles=0
fMouseCursorSpeed=1.0000
bShowCompass=1
[Controls]
fGamepadHeadingSensitivity=1.0000
fMouseHeadingSensitivity=0.0125
bAlwaysRunByDefault=1
bInvertYValues=0
bGamePadRumble=1
bMouseAcceleration=1
bUseKinect=0
[Particles]
iMaxDesired=0
[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=15.0000
[AudioMenu]
fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000
fVal7=1.0000
uID7=0
fVal6=1.0000
uID6=0
fVal5=1.0000
uID5=0
fVal4=1.0000
uID4=0
fVal3=1.0000
uID3=94881
fVal2=0.4000
uID2=466532
fVal1=1.0000
uID1=554685
fVal0=0.8000
uID0=1007612
[Clouds]
fCloudLevel2Distance=0.0000
fCloudLevel1Distance=0.0000
fCloudLevel0Distance=0.0000
fCloudNearFadeDistance=0.0000
[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=0.0000
fBlockMaximumDistance=75.0000
fBlockLevel1Distance=25.0000
fBlockLevel0Distance=15.0000
fSplitDistanceMult=0.4000
bShowLODInEditor=0
[NavMesh]
fObstacleAlpha=0.5000
fCoverSideHighAlpha=0.8000
fCoverSideLowAlpha=0.6500
fEdgeFullAlpha=1.0000
fEdgeHighAlpha=0.7500
fEdgeLowAlpha=0.5000
fTriangleFullAlpha=0.7000
fTriangleHighAlpha=0.3500
fTriangleLowAlpha=0.2000
fLedgeBoxHalfHeight=25000.0000
fEdgeDistFromVert=10000.0000
fEdgeThickness=10000.0000
fPointSize=2000.5000
[Trees]
bRenderSkinnedTrees=1
uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=0
[Decals]
uMaxDecals=0
bDecals=0
bSkinnedDecals=0
uMaxSkinDecals=0
uMaxSkinDecalsPerActor=0
[LOD]
fLODFadeOutMultObjects=10.5000
fLODFadeOutMultItems=13.5000
fLODFadeOutMultActors=13.0000
fLODFadeOutMultSkyCell=1.0000
[Launcher]
bEnableFileSelection=1
bShowAllResolutions=1
uLastAspectRatio=3
[BlurShaderHDR]
bDoHighDynamicRange=0
[BlurShader]
bUseBlurShader=0
[Water]
iWaterReflectHeight=512
iWaterReflectWidth=512
bUseWaterDisplacements=1
bUseWaterRefractions=1
bUseWaterReflections=1
bUseWaterDepth=1
The console command teofis is also toggled here, it disables a lot of effects. Another command is setfog 0,99999 which essentially disables fog.

RK9039

Rösti;155955172 said:
No ENB, I have just set the configuration file to skip a lot of mipmaps. AA and some other things done via GeDoSaTo.

Please can you post your mod list? plis

jk

Rösti;155955769 said:
This is what my SkyrimPrefs.ini looks like, with the most important line in bold:

The console command teofis is also toggled here, it disables a lot of effects. Another command is setfog 0,99999 which essentially disables fog.

Thanks, It looks awesome!

Adding my own Skyrim to the page.

72850_2015_03_14_00001_by_pocky4th3win-d8lqfbt.png

finalflame

Can someone point me in the direction of a good Skyrim modding guide, to get started? I know there's a LOT to it (I dabbled some years ago), but I just got a second 980 and am looking for something solid to get me back to it.

Amazing shots.

Can someone point me in the direction of a good Skyrim modding guide, to get started? I know there's a LOT to it (I dabbled some years ago), but I just got a second 980 and am looking for something solid to get me back to it.

Amazing shots.

People like to recommend guides like STEP or GEMS, but I don't like either of them very much because you simply don't get very good results. GEMS isn't much of a guide, but rather a list of good mods - however, there's no real indication of how well they work together. On the other hand, STEP simply doesn't give very good results IMO. There are a lot of great mods that have simply been completely skipped by the STEP community, which means that if you follow their guide closely then you'll end up with your game not looking as good as it could. It's a good place to start if you have no idea of which mods are good, but once you're familiar with all of the popular mods, you can probably ignore STEP and start looking for new content yourself.

Now, having said that, here's a few tips from someone with over 1100 hours in the game and currently over 200 mods installed and active:

• Don't use the Steam Workshop unless absolutely necessary
  • ONLY use Mod Organizer for installing and managing mods, and make sure you know exactly how the program works by following its tutorial and checking out all of the tools
  • Don't install a mod that uses scripts unless absolutely necessary - most of the big gameplay mods have a lot of scripts so pick only a small group of them. For example, although it would be an amazing combination, don't use Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Requiem, Locational Damage, Deadly Combat, Deadly Dragons, Civil War Overhaul and SkyTEST all together; your PC may be able to keep up just fine, but the ancient engine can't and will often lead to stuttering, low framerates, input lag, script lag, bugs and even corrupt saves
  • Make sure you understand how Skyrim's data structure works: post-processing injectors and external tools have to be installed in the root Skyrim folder whereas normal mods go into Skyrim\Data (remembering to install mods in the Data folder won't be a problem if you use Mod Organizer anyway, as it forces you to put mods in the right place)
  • Do not tweak your .ini files. There is no such thing as magical improvements that will increase performance. At most, change your grass draw distance, shadows settings and water reflection resolution. Leave everything else intact unless a mod specifically states otherwise (most vegetation mods will ask you to make small changes, and that's fine)
  • If you're going to use a mod, search for compatibility patches. Mod authors often leave the work to the community to create them and so you won't necessarily be told in the mod's description that there's a patch. Search for patches for whatever you're installing.
  • Research those big mods before you install them. Requiem, PerMa, etc all make enormous changes to pretty much everything in the game, so you'll have to consider if you want to give up all the small mods you may be using.
  • If a mod author asks that you start a new game with their mod, do it!
  • Ask for help if you need it. reddit.com/r/skyrimmods is probably the best place to go, although you can try your luck and ask a mod author directly in their mod's comments section, but don't hold your breath for an answer.
  • SKSE is pretty much a requirement for playing the game, not just because it's a literal requirement for a massive portion of mods, but also because it can significantly improve your stability. Search around for the SKSE memory patch to find out more.
  • Speaking of stability, there are plenty of ways to improve it and performance too. ENB has a lot of performance-improving utilities based mostly around caching and occlusion, so make sure you use those (and you can activate the improvements without getting any post-processing effects too, they just happen to be part of the same injector). Cell Stabilizer, SKSE and ENB are basically the holy trinity of performance/stability improvements for the game.
  • Lastly, it's only a matter of time before you mod your game to death. Don't worry. If you start crashing, noticing bugs or bad performance, assuming you're using Mod Organizer you'll be absolutely fine. Deactivate whatever mods are being problematic, make a clean save, and then activate your mods again one by one until you find the culprit. Beyond that, research whatever you're adding to your game, make sure you're not overwhelming the engine (which is surprisingly and disappointingly easy to do), check for compatibility patches as mentioned before, adjust settings and don't be afraid to basically mod your mods. Managing mods for Skyrim is very easy with Mod Organizer, and once you've made a few mistakes you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out how to maintain your game.
  • Edit: Although I'd usually recommend using the Nexus and only the Nexus, there are some mods that can only be found elsewhere. Tumblr blogs with sociopathic owners, seedy Russian forums, the infamous Loverslab, the now obscure TES Alliance, and The Engineering Guild (if you want to get instantly banned, simply write a well explained, mature and thoughtful comment that just happens to disagree with whatever is said by the head of the group, Giskard). You will very rarely need anything other than the Skyrim Nexus, but sometimes there's an obscure bum texture or a fish model replacer that simply can't be found where most mods are.

Top Bottom