• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

0J7qsf.png

ATrwKP.png

r8XrN2.png

Nick Pal

I googled this yesterday but for the life of me I can't find the answer. Can someone please tell me how the hellllll do I make clickable flickr thumbnails that zoom in when you click em?

Far Cry 3

16771141362_63e0707b49_o.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is it just me or does DSR not work in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2?

4K screens look crap on a 1080p monitor at full size. I bet the vast majority don't have 4K screens.

Depends. I mean.... there's little reason to blow it up to full size UNLESS you have a 4K montior. I'm happy just letting my browser resize the images.

When I look at this 6000x2628 image in its own tab but resized to fit on my screen, it looks pertty fantastic. About the same as it would if I downsampled it with FastStone. So then the only problem is bandwidth. And that's where I take issue with people posting full sized 9K shots on this thread...

Philtastic

4K screens look crap on a 1080p monitor at full size. I bet the vast majority don't have 4K screens.

You're basically making the pixels larger than they would be on an actual 4K monitor. Consider that the pixels on a 4K monitor are roughly 4 times smaller than those on an equivalent size 1080p monitor, so all those blocky-looking details you see on a blown up 4K image actually look insanely smooth on a 4K monitor. You can somewhat simulate what 4K looks like simply by resizing the image so that it completely fits your 1080p screens, ie. downsample the image: you wouldn't have the same amount of detail (ie. resolution) but you would gain some detail over a native 1080p image and have far less aliasing. Or you can just look at the shrunk versions here on this page and that would be close enough :p

Edit: I quick way to imagine this is to take the idea to the extreme - imagine viewing a 1080p image on a hypothetical 80" monitor that could only display 16x9 pixels. Those 144 pixels would be huge blocks on that screen (each pixel would be roughly 4.5" wide). Of course, we know that 1080p doesn't look like a bunch of huge blocks but, on a 16x9 pixel 80" monitor, it would.

Nice shots. I forgot I own this game; I played it right after it had released on early access. How is it now?

For some reason I bought it last month and it's not very interesting IMO. You can build house trees, storage compartments and a few bits and pieces, but I didn't "get" it. The game is extremely easy and "survival" is too. I just don't understand where the thrill is meant to be found. I bought it because I was feeling quite bad and needed a distraction, but I also love horror games and surviving in games like DayZ and a heavily modded Skyrim is great fun, so I don't know why The Forest didn't click for me.

finalflame

For some reason I bought it last month and it's not very interesting IMO. You can build house trees, storage compartments and a few bits and pieces, but I didn't "get" it. The game is extremely easy and "survival" is too. I just don't understand where the thrill is meant to be found. I bought it because I was feeling quite bad and needed a distraction, but I also love horror games and surviving in games like DayZ and a heavily modded Skyrim is great fun, so I don't know why The Forest didn't click for me.

Ah, thanks! I suppose the game is supposed to be a blend of horror and island exploration with some story thrown in, as I got the feeling you're supposed to "find out" what's going on on the island. I got the feeling it was still very incomplete when I played it a few months ago, and it seems like that's still the case now. Perhaps it will start to come around eventually.

Afro

i'm assuming we're gonna' have a separate GTA V PC Snapmatic thread, yeah? thread will be amazing. hopefully someone will quickly whip up a mod that removes the Snapmatic UI so we can screencap the shots in 4K rather than downloading 960x536 .jpgs from the R* Social Club.

i'm assuming we're gonna' have a separate GTA V PC Snapmatic thread, yeah? thread will be amazing. hopefully someone will quickly whip up a mod that removes the Snapmatic UI so we can screencap the shots in 4K rather than downloading 960x536 .jpgs from the R* Social Club.

If I take any screenshots of GTAV, I'll be posting them in this thread and no others.

Top Bottom