• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Beefy

So deciding between these two:

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM, DirectX® 12, G-SYNC
Memory - Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

Or

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6700HQ (2.6GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
Memory - Hard Disk
1TB WD SLIM BLUE 2.5" WD10SPCX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

Tizoc

Hi everyone, I had a quick chat with my brother and he wants to get an affordable Laptop to play DOTA 2, so here's what he is looking for

Country where it will be purchased = Oman, Middle East
Maximum budget = Not that major a factor, but it depends on models recommended
Max size = 15"
Planned usage = Play DOTA 2 @ Highest settings+60 FPS, and for watching videos.
My brother has these games too so a laptop that can run DOTA 2 and these at highest settings would be appreciated as well:
Saint's Row 3, Rise of Nations, Metro 2033, Brink, Darksiders 1, Company of Heroes

Most importantly though is having DOTA 2 running at peak performance since his old lappy is driving him whacko when playing it :p

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nvidia makes the vast majority of its "gaming" laptop sales from midrange and lower GPUs (think 960M down to 930M, currently). They aren't dumb enough to abandon those markets, or raise the prices within them. The GTX 960M and 860M dominated because they could be had between $800 and $1k.

As far as the high end, again, they aren't going to abandon the 970M to 980M price range either, which is $1200 to $1999, and I know this because the manufacturers simply won't let them. The GTX 980 laptops were an extreme niche within an extreme niche, one which cannot sustain profitability for Nvidia or the laptop makers. It will still exist, but it'll never be their focal point. If the 1080 and 1070 are coming mobile, they'll either:

1. Be super expensive and niche like the GTX 980, and we'll still see 980M/970M-like cut down versions for the typical gaming laptop price range, the latter being sometthing which won't happen, according to PC Gamer.

2. They'll come down and have the more realistic 980M/970M-like pricing. This seems like the more plausible of the two scenarios.

I'm also unconvinced that they're completely dropping the 'M' nomenclature. Gonna need more sources on that. But I mean, it would make sense. The GTX 580M was a full GTX 560 Ti, the GTX 680M was a full GTX 670, the GTX 780M was a full GTX 770. Why not just name them as such?

I don't think it's the death of MXM, either. All of the above cards were MXM, so the new ones might as well be too, as it's much easier and cost effective for the laptop makers to have modular slots instead of GPUs soldered to motherboard. That's why Nvidia created the MXM standard in the first place. Now is it the death of our current MXM 3.0, is a good question.

So deciding between these two:

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM, DirectX® 12, G-SYNC
Memory - Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

Or

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6700HQ (2.6GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970M - 6.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
Memory - Hard Disk
1TB WD SLIM BLUE 2.5" WD10SPCX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
Deciding 15" vs 17" seems to be the relevant factor, outside of the 15" having a desktop CPU and G-Sync. I'd probably take faster CPU and G-Sync over the larger screen.

p.s. - get yourself an SSD bruv.

Hi everyone, I had a quick chat with my brother and he wants to get an affordable Laptop to play DOTA 2, so here's what he is looking for

Country where it will be purchased = Oman, Middle East
Maximum budget = Not that major a factor, but it depends on models recommended
Max size = 15"
Planned usage = Play DOTA 2 @ Highest settings+60 FPS, and for watching videos.
My brother has these games too so a laptop that can run DOTA 2 and these at highest settings would be appreciated as well:
Saint's Row 3, Rise of Nations, Metro 2033, Brink, Darksiders 1, Company of Heroes

Most importantly though is having DOTA 2 running at peak performance since his old lappy is driving him whacko when playing it :p

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

A GTX 960M will smash DOTA 2.

Conceptor

I would have jumped on that if not for US pricing :(. Converting to CAD puts it over $1200 unfortunately.

From what I see on notebookcheck, an i5-6300HQ is preferable to an i7-6500U, yeah? A dualcore compared to a quadcore.

Around the $1000 price point this looks to be the best I can find:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gl62-i5-6300hq-8gb-3d-126090.htm
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=093142

I'll look around for something with a weaker GPU that still has a beefy cpu

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Guys. Guys! GUYS!

August/September. We're almost there.
Date looking good.
About dropping the M and making the cards directly 1080/1070 desktop, that does look like a bit of wishful thinking to me though, given that the 980 is 165W and the 970 is 145W.

K.Jack

I would have jumped on that if not for US pricing :(. Converting to CAD puts it over $1200 unfortunately.

From what I see on notebookcheck, an i5-6300HQ is preferable to an i7-6500U, yeah? A dualcore compared to a quadcore.

Around the $1000 price point this looks to be the best I can find:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gl62-i5-6300hq-8gb-3d-126090.htm
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=093142

I'll look around for something with a weaker GPU that still has a beefy cpu

Well yeah, that one looks like it suits your needs pretty well. Same laptop with a GTX 950M is $1099.99 on Newegg

Date looking good.
About dropping the M and making the cards directly 1080/1070 desktop, that does look like a bit of wishful thinking to me though, given that the 980 is 165W and the 970 is 145W.

It took huge laptops to properly run the GTX 980, Nvidia isn't going to focus on that small market too heavily.

ekurisona

KJack & Co

would it be possible to buy a used laptop (linux) in the usa that would play wasteland 2, divinity: original sin, and pillars of eternity @ 30 fps (any resolution/settings) for under $300?

if not, at what price point would it become possible? specific model suggestions/recommendations welcome.

any time and help is appreciated as i'm slowly going crazy trying to piece all this together on my phone.

usa
<$300
14"
linux
gaming

Ty

update: /u/trainedtech88 on /r/suggestalaptop suggested the Acer S3-391-6046.

is that a good recommendation?

does that mean i dont need a dedicated graphics card to play these games?

Anybody checked out the ASUS ROG GL502VY-DS71? Looks like it released just recently, thinking about picking it up. I don't need a powerhouse laptop, just something I can use around the house or on business trips to still be able to play games even if it's not at max settings.

Specs:
CPU: i7 6700HQ
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Video: Nvidia GTX 980M 4GB
Storage: 128GB SSD & 1TB 7200RPM
Screen: 1080P IPS GSYNC 15.6"
Dimensions: 15", .88 in. thick, 4.9lbs
Price: $1699

I thought those seemed like pretty beefy specs for such a thin/light laptop. Seem like a good option?

Tizoc

The ASUS K501UX shuld be more than enough for Dota 2 and its kinda cheap . Just make sure you get one with at least 950m and i5 and you're good to go .

Gracias, will let him know, although the #1 with the high RAM is interesting too. Will depend on his budget :3

K.Jack

So.... this is supposedly a mobile Pascal chip. Rumor says the 1080, but I can't certify that. HUGE grain of salt, as always.

Rumored_chip.png

That's a GTX 1080 with 4 clusters disabled. Makes sense for a "GTX 1080M" chip.

KJack & Co

would it be possible to buy a used laptop (linux) in the usa that would play wasteland 2, divinity: original sin, and pillars of eternity @ 30 fps (any resolution/settings) for under $300?

if not, at what price point would it become possible? specific model suggestions/recommendations welcome.

any time and help is appreciated as i'm slowly going crazy trying to piece all this together on my phone.

usa
<$300
14"
linux
gaming

Ty

update: /u/trainedtech88 on /r/suggestalaptop suggested the Acer S3-391-6046.

is that a good recommendation?

does that mean i dont need a dedicated graphics card to play these games?
Get this.

Anybody checked out the ASUS ROG GL502VY-DS71? Looks like it released just recently, thinking about picking it up. I don't need a powerhouse laptop, just something I can use around the house or on business trips to still be able to play games even if it's not at max settings.

Specs:

I thought those seemed like pretty beefy specs for such a thin/light laptop. Seem like a good option?

Uh, that's as "powerhouse" as gaming laptops get. I'd take it if it's in your budget range.

Uh, that's as "powerhouse" as gaming laptops get. I'd take it if it's in your budget range.

Haha sorry, I don't think I explained very well. I just meant that I didn't need a full GTX 980 like some laptops have started getting, and even if the GTX 1080 released tomorrow I'd still take the 980M if I couldn't get the 1080 in a thin portable laptop. So portability is more important to me than power, that's all I meant!

K.Jack

Nuts. I'm here to slap the life out of anyone who considers one of those.

Haha sorry, I don't think I explained very well. I just meant that I didn't need a full GTX 980 like some laptops have started getting, and even if the GTX 1080 released tomorrow I'd still take the 980M if I couldn't get the 1080 in a thin portable laptop. So portability is more important to me than power, that's all I meant!

Gotcha.

It really surprises me that Asus priced that so low.

t'll be interesting to see if such a thin laptop can actually cool a GTX 980M. Can't lie, I have my doubts.

Specs:

Gotcha.

It really surprises me that Asus priced that so low.

t'll be interesting to see if such a thin laptop can actually cool a GTX 980M. Can't lie, I have my doubts.

Gigabyte P35Xv5 also has a 980M but with double the vRam and is about 6% thinner

21.08mm thick vs 22.35mm (.88 inches) thick

No idea on the ability to cool the laptop though

Edit: Actually Asus's webstore has the thickness of the ASUS ROG GL502VY-DS71 at .92 inches [23.368mm]

Dimensions
15.35 x 10.47 x 0.92 inch (WxDxH) (w/ 4cell battery)

That makes the Gigabyte almost 10% thinner. Again though will likely affect cooling.

Gigabyte P35Xv5 also has a 980M but with double the vRam and is about 6% thinner

21.08mm thick vs 22.35mm (.88 inches) thick

No idea on the ability to cool the laptop though

Edit: Actually Asus's webstore has the thickness of the ASUS ROG GL502VY-DS71 at .92 inches [23.368mm]

That makes the Gigabyte almost 10% thinner. Again though will likely affect cooling.

I looked at the Gigabyte and almost pulled the trigger, however the ASUS has three big advantages for me:

-GSYNC (By far the biggest plus for this laptop)
-Better audio (the Gigabyte apparently has poor audio through both speakers and headphones)
-Better cooling (the Gigabyte apparently has some issues with cooling, the laptop gets very hot. I haven't seen any official reviews of the Asus yet, but user feedback has said that cooling is decent for a thin laptop and at least keeps the heat away from the keyboard/touchpad)

Edit: Also, forgot to mention... The Gigabyte looks so plain, I think the ASUS has a better look to it. It may be superficial, but it matters to me!

K.Jack

I looked at the Gigabyte and almost pulled the trigger, however the ASUS has three big advantages for me:

-Better audio (the Gigabyte apparently has poor audio through both speakers and headphones)
-Better cooling (the Gigabyte apparently has some issues with cooling, the laptop gets very hot. I haven't seen any official reviews of the Asus yet, but user feedback has said that cooling is decent for a thin laptop and at least keeps the heat away from the keyboard/touchpad)

Edit: Also, forgot to mention... The Gigabyte looks so plain, I think the ASUS has a better look to it. It may be superficial, but it matters to me!

Asus uses the worst speakers out of any of them. The one review I found on it even commented that the speakers are weak.

K.Jack what do you think the next Surface Book might be like?

I think those ol' Pascal M benches were fakes in light of the recent news, what's your take?

K.Jack

Following up on the GTX 1080M leak I reported earlier (1080M specs in post #5068 if anyone missed it), more evidence that the 1080M and 1070M are out in the wild:

1080M hardware IDs:

1070M hardware IDs:

Soon.

K.Jack what do you think the next Surface Book might be like?

I think those ol' Pascal M benches were fakes in light of the recent news, what's your take?

I think the benches were 100% legit, and PC Gamer was off on the demise of the M cards. We'll who's right see very soon.

I'm curious what's better for future-proofing, g-sync or an extra 4 GB of vram. I suppose it might depend on what you play as that much vram is really only useful for large open world games I believe.

I would suspect both laptops are less than stellar at cooling due to their thinness but I would assume the Gigabyte is indeed worse. Believe the gigabyte does come with a 2 year warranty though.

lol I actually much much prefer the plain approach to laptop styling but that's certainly personal preference.

So I ended up getting the MSI Ghost, and its amazing. KI runs and looks great. Only downside is the brushed aluminum aka fingerprint magnet casing. I saw someone on reddit put iPad screen protectors on the wrist rest spots and I tried it too. Works like a charm.

This computer is soooo fast compared to my old laptop lol.

anddo0

Getting itchy fingers, Sager is offing $400 off the NP9870-S ($2500 shipped in my area). I'm so tempted right now. i-7 6700K, 980 (dk model).. So close....

So i bought my first "gaming" laptop after i realized i was working with basically nothing.

Grabbed one of these with the intention of getting a second as soon as my NewEgg card comes in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=dell_7559-_-34-298-771-_-Product#close

I'm noticing much better performance all around, and the 1080 compared to what i had before is a dream come true.

But! for 50 bucks more, apparently, i can get a i5 with a 4k screen.

What do you guys think about that trade off? I estimated it was about a 12% difference in cpu power, is it worth it to get 4k? Or should i try to shell out the difference for i7 4k?

Edit: For giggles, this is what i've been gaming on for the last 5 years.

AMD A10-5750 APU 2.5GHZ
8gb RAM
Radeon HD 8650, video ram shared with pc ram.

K.Jack

What makes the benches seem trustworthy?

The benches show cards in all of the brackets the laptop makers have expected from Nvidia for the last 10 years. Those being:

x40M at up to $900
x50M at up to $1000
x60M at up to $1200
x70M at up to $1500
x80M at over $1500

So now we're hearing two different stories. All of the leaks saying things remain as they've always been, and PC Gamer saying things are up for a radical change which the laptop manufacturers probably wouldn't approve of, at all.

With the present information, I'm just currently more inclined to believe the leaks. I mean, Computex is over today, yet no other site reported what PCG said, something I find quite strange. That seems like the sort of information which should've been widely disseminated.

In the end, I believe the truth will be somewhere in the middle, i.e. 1080 and 1070 for ultra high-end niche machines, and the usual cut down 'M' cards for everyone else. That screenshot up above which is supposed to be the GTX 1080M actually strengthens that idea, for now.

Corroborating sources are needed for sure.

I'm curious what's better for future-proofing, g-sync or an extra 4 GB of vram. I suppose it might depend on what you play as that much vram is really only useful for large open world games I believe.

I would suspect both laptops are less than stellar at cooling due to their thinness but I would assume the Gigabyte is indeed worse. Believe the gigabyte does come with a 2 year warranty though.

lol I actually much much prefer the plain approach to laptop styling but that's certainly personal preference.

Future proofing can mean different things. I see both G-Sync and VRAM as different types. If I had to choose between an 8GB GTX 980M and G-Sync, I'd most likely take the G-Sync + 4GB card combo. I have a GTX 980M w/ 8GB VRAM, and I expect that any game which will actually has settings that can push into my extra VRAM, will also tank my framerates at those settings; in that case, I'd rather have G-Sync.

As far as chassis design, MSI strikes a nice balance, to me. I can carry my laptop to any business meeting an others don't notice it as standing out.

Getting itchy fingers, Sager is offing $400 off the NP9870-S ($2500 shipped in my area). I'm so tempted right now. i-7 6700K, 980 (dk model).. So close....

A laptop with a 1080M will be faster and cheaper, or faster and the same price.

Hold out bruv, you can make it. I believe in you.

So i bought my first "gaming" laptop after i realized i was working with basically nothing.

Grabbed one of these with the intention of getting a second as soon as my NewEgg card comes in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=dell_7559-_-34-298-771-_-Product#close

I'm noticing much better performance all around, and the 1080 compared to what i had before is a dream come true.

But! for 50 bucks more, apparently, i can get a i5 with a 4k screen.

What do you guys think about that trade off? I estimated it was about a 12% difference in cpu power, is it worth it to get 4k? Or should i try to shell out the difference for i7 4k?

Edit: For giggles, this is what i've been gaming on for the last 5 years.

AMD A10-5750 APU 2.5GHZ
8gb RAM
Radeon HD 8650, video ram shared with pc ram.

What good would the 4K actually do for you? You'll have to game at 1080p anyway, and below native res gaming looks like monkey butt.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to K. Jack and andytjm for recommending the Acer Aspire V15 when I asked for recommendations about a month ago.

I ended up pulling the trigger instead of waiting for Pascal, and I don't regret it. The screen is fucking gorgeous and the performance suits my needs perfectly (Dragon's Dogma and the handful of other games I was interested in playing run great).

Cool beans, yeah it have one of the very best screens in the 15" bracket.

Azuardo

So I've waited till Computex is over. Are there any recommendations for my earlier laptop desires?

Hi all, hoping to get some help in here, or at least suggestions for me to consider as someone who has never owned a gaming laptop or desktop before, but would now ideally like a laptop powerful enough to handle games competently.

Budget: I want to say max would be £1000, but would prefer spending less if possible. Might consider higher if necessary.
Screen size: Current laptop is 17.3 inch, so would like to stick with 17+.
Usage: Would like to run games like Tomb Raider, Lightning Returns, FFX HD on max at 1080p. Would settle for high settings instead of max/ultra, perhaps, depending on prices.
Misc: Battery life isn't a concern (I always use laptops plugged in), prefer 1920x1080 resolution, quiet fan.

If there's anything out there that can be suggested, please let me know. I'm not 100% sure whether I will buy anything, but want to see what options are out there, and don't know where to start. Thanks all.
My current non-gaming laptop is now really starting to die, struggling to hold Firefox together after a few mins of watching a video, so whilst I need a new one anyway, I may as well bite the bullet on going for a good gaming one too, since I don't do desktops.

If it's defnitely worth holding out on the stuff revealed at Computex, then I might be able to suffice, but since this is now on its last legs, not sure how long it will hold out.

Also, I'm on my second Acer now, and I've told myself I won't ever go back to that company again. So I'd prefer a different make if possible. Thanks for any help.

K.Jack

So I've waited till Computex is over. Are there any recommendations for my earlier laptop desires?

My current non-gaming laptop is now really starting to die, struggling to hold Firefox together after a few mins of watching a video, so whilst I need a new one anyway, I may as well bite the bullet on going for a good gaming one too, since I don't do desktops.

If it's defnitely worth holding out on the stuff revealed at Computex, then I might be able to suffice, but since this is now on its last legs, not sure how long it will hold out.

Also, I'm on my second Acer now, and I've told myself I won't ever go back to that company again. So I'd prefer a different make if possible. Thanks for any help.

If you don't or can't wait for Pascal (August/September estimate), looks like one of these is your best bet.

GTX 970M will run the games you listed really well.

Azuardo

If you don't or can't wait for Pascal (August/September estimate), looks like one of these is your best bet.

GTX 970M will run the games you listed really well.

There aren't any prices for Pascal yet, right?

Any recommendations for the core components on that above laptop, or were you suggesting it based on the ones already selected?

Wondering whether to opt for SSD, which I think most seem to be saying is the way to go these days..?

And is a cooling stand worth it? I use my lappy on the bed pretty much constantly, which burns it up a lot, so I know I need to have it raised on something, but not sure if there is a product recommended above other cooling stands.

Cheers for the help so far! Will definitely be considering this.

K.Jack

There aren't any prices for Pascal yet, right?

Any recommendations for the core components on that above laptop, or were you suggesting it based on the ones already selected?

Wondering whether to opt for SSD, which I think most seem to be saying is the way to go these days..?

And is a cooling stand worth it? I use my lappy on the bed pretty much constantly, which burns it up a lot, so I know I need to have it raised on something, but not sure if there is a product recommended above other cooling stands.

Cheers for the help so far! Will definitely be considering this.
Definitely need 8GB RAM. SSD is a must, IMO. If we can stretch your budget a little bit, I recommend adding a 1TB HDD under Memory - Hard Disk, and a 128GB SSD under M.2 SSD Drive. That brings us to £1,142.00 shipped.

As far as something to sit on, you can go cooling stand, or a type of one of these lap tables. I use the latter.

Azuardo

Definitely need 8GB RAM. SSD is a must, IMO. If we can stretch your budget a little bit, I recommend adding a 1TB HDD under Memory - Hard Disk, and a 128GB SSD under M.2 SSD Drive. That brings us to £1,142.00 shipped.

As far as something to sit on, you can go cooling stand, or a type of one of these lap tables. I use the latter.

Thank you. Will have a closer look at this in due course and get back if I've got any other questions. Thanks a lot.

Kieli

Ya know what? For just £21 more, you can do the same setup on one of these, which has the much more powerful GTX 980M. All you'd lose is the DDR4 RAM.

Definitely go for the GTX 980M. At $21 more, it's a complete steal.

I think it's roughly 30% more powerful than the 970M, which was 40% more powerful than the 960M.

K.Jack

Definitely go for the GTX 980M. At $21 more, it's a complete steal.

I think it's roughly 30% more powerful than the 970M, which was 40% more powerful than the 960M.

Slight correction: GTX 965M is what's 40% faster than the 960M, 970M is more like 80%.

Not a gaming laptop request, but rather a portable tablet for travel -- sorry, but this seemed like the best thread. If inappropriate I apologize.

Country where it will be purchased.
USA
Maximum budget.
$500
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight).
Light enough to read comfortably in bed, big enough to not make me wonder why I just didn't stick with iPhone surfing.
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all). Ideally you'll point out what resolution and settings are your standard, based off of what I've laid out in the OP.
I'm looking for a cheap tablet for travel blogging, offloading photographs while traveling and uploading them to OneDrive, and surfing. Sturdy but cheap enough that if a misfortune happens (used mainly for traveling after all) it isn't the end of the world.
Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc.
Fanless, lightweight, Windows OS, USB ports, detachable keyboard, touch.

I for a while have been looking to combine this device with one for art, but am realizing that wanting a cheap, (relatively) disposable travel tablet is largely incompatible with a decent tablet for drawing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Asus uses the worst speakers out of any of them. The one review I found on it even commented that the speakers are weak.

Any laptop that's as thin as this one and packing high-end hardware is going to have little to no room for decent speakers, I accepted that before I bought it. Having had a chance to listen to both laptops now (friend of mine has the Gigabyte), the ASUS speakers sound better to me. I may be biased though. :p The speakers get plenty loud though and when I actually want good sound I'd be using my headphones anyway.

On that note, I received my laptop yesterday! Swapped out the 128GB M.2 SSD for a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, and the 1TB 7200RPM for another 500GB 850 EVO.

The cooling system works great! Stressing the CPU and GPU heavily at the same time only got the CPU temps up to 78C and the GPU temps up to 74C. The only area of the laptop that gets hot is the area between the keyboard and screen, so it's very comfortable to play on even during heavy gaming. The GSync screen is a game changer for laptops! I've never been happy with gaming on a laptop due to dips below 60fps, however with GSync it feels so fluid!

I'm loving the laptop so far; the lighting effects are neat, the screen is amazing, it's fast, it's thin, it's light, the battery life seems pretty decent (haven't had a chance to run it down yet), the speakers are good enough and the cooling is really well done. Completely happy with this purchase!

TheMink

Country where it will be purchased.
Amer I can!
Maximum Budget
Below $900 would be Ideal I think.
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight).
Not too muh of a factor, I suppose smaller is better.
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all).
Dark Souls III, Overwatch,
Runescape
Ideally you'll point out what resolution and settings are your standard, based off of what I've laid out in the OP
I would be stoked to get High, but I'm not familiar with how these things are priced

Blues1990

I'm going to be visiting my friend in Kelowna later this month, and we have plans to play Diablo III and Overwatch back-to-back. However, I want a solid gaming laptop (for a reasonable price) that can run both these games with out a hitch, as well as any recommendations to make sure it stays a-okay.

Any laptop that's as thin as this one and packing high-end hardware is going to have little to no room for decent speakers, I accepted that before I bought it. Having had a chance to listen to both laptops now (friend of mine has the Gigabyte), the ASUS speakers sound better to me. I may be biased though. :p The speakers get plenty loud though and when I actually want good sound I'd be using my headphones anyway.

Congrats on the the happy lappy purchase!

I assume the bolded is the Gigabyte I mentioned. If so, what are your friends impressions of it?

TheMink

After doing my own research (cause this thread seems kinda dead) I was thinking about getting this guy:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015ZG997I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thoughts if anyone is out there? Basically would it just be worth it to shell a few more bucks for the one in the OP or is this great?

And if I were to go all out would this be good?:

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

Then again this one is larger and more powerful for not very much more:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gt7...D=1&siteID=Cty0dj6o3sg-v9D0NNh9mzUZsHHWA4ntOQ

And are price drops possible because of new cards?

Idontknowwhatimdoing.gif

Azuardo

Ya know what? For just £21 more, you can do the same setup on one of these, which has the much more powerful GTX 980M. All you'd lose is the DDR4 RAM.

Great laptop that, have one myself. Defo get the 980M if you can.

Balls. Looks like the link isn't directing straight to the exact model now. Can you please let me know which one it was again? Or is the link dead now because it's sold out? Any other place I could buy from?

Edit: In fact, I'm guessing it was the 17.3" Octane II?

There's an Octane II Pro listed on the site, with 980 Desktop on it; is it worth going for that one?

K.Jack

Balls. Looks like the link isn't directing straight to the exact model now. Can you please let me know which one it was again? Or is the link dead now because it's sold out? Any other place I could buy from?

Edit: In fact, I'm guessing it was the 17.3" Octane II?

There's an Octane II Pro listed on the site, with 980 Desktop on it; is it worth going for that one?

It was a laptop which mysteriously just disappeared. I dunno what happened there.

Octane II Pro is a whole different price bracket, if you want something that expensive I'd wait for Pascal.

Eh, I think a decent pair of headphones will have better sound than any laptop speaker.

The fact that headphones are good (trust me I hang out in the headphone thread) doesn't excuse Asus for using such shitty speakers. A company like Clevo, who have improved their speaker quality significantly by the way, used to get passes because they targeted a lower budget range. Asus prices their laptops at the premium boutique prices, up there right alongside MSI and Dell's Alienware, but they are the lowest overall quality of the 3. That's my only beef with Asus. Thin laptops won't have "good" speakers, that's a given. But then going on to use the same quality of speakers in your thick, heavy 17" flagship models is not something to be written off as unimportant. Not for what they're asking.

If Asus lowered their prices by a couple hundred I'd shut up about it. As it stands I'm always going to recommend Alienware or MSI whenever they have a comparable laptop.

That said, neither company has a 15" that matches that ASUS GL502VY-DS71, especially at $1699. Asus shocked me with the price.

caesar

Banned
Singapore.
No concrete budget but lets say 2000 sgd.
Would rather have a more powerful 15" than skimp for a 17".
I would like it to run TW: Warhammer at an acceptable framerate.

Top Bottom