• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Azuardo

Laptop arrived, been using it for a day and running excellently. Handles Lightning Returns on max with no trouble whatsoever. Huge thanks to K.Jack for the help, and others who shared input.

Just wondering, what would be the best free antivirus programs or any other key free programs to install on this new laptop? It came with a brief trial of Bullguard, but it was blocking things I didn't want it to and just thought it'd be better to get rid sooner than later instead of messing around with it.

anddo0

Good for what?

I'd expect 1070 laptops to mirror the costs of GTX 970M laptops.

That would be legit insanity. Like, no joke the power level upgrades would be freaking absurd.

I'm hoping this holds true.

Laptop arrived, been using it for a day and running excellently. Handles Lightning Returns on max with no trouble whatsoever. Huge thanks to K.Jack for the help, and others who shared input.

Just wondering, what would be the best free antivirus programs or any other key free programs to install on this new laptop? It came with a brief trial of Bullguard, but it was blocking things I didn't want it to and just thought it'd be better to get rid sooner than later instead of messing around with it.

Common sense and Windows Defender (built into Windows 10) are all you need... Malwarebytes is a decent companion, but even that isn't necessarily needed.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Alright peeps, say hello to the 100% proven and verified, GTX 1080M:

1080M.jpg

100% verified, as I know the person on another forum, who has the laptop in hand. It's an MSI GT72S review unit, still need MXM 3.0b module confirmation.

Release date is in July, according to PC-Konsulten.

So it's a GTX 1080 with I think 4 shader clusters removed, and no GDDR5X. TITAN-X PERFORMANCE IN A LAPTOP IT'S HAPPENING.

I'm waiting until the new 1070/1080ms start coming out. My biggest concern is the price point for those, easily most decent ones might end up above $2k.

But the upside is that that the 980m, and even gtx 980 laptops, might go down in price.

K.Jack

I'm waiting until the new 1070/1080ms start coming out. My biggest concern is the price point for those, easily most decent ones might end up above $2k.

But the upside is that that the 980m, and even gtx 980 laptops, might go down in price.

They'll be in the same price brackets as always.

Launch day a stock 1080M machine will run right about $1,899, 1070M will start around $1,399, 1060M I'll guess $1,099.

Jeffrey

Not really in need of a 'gaming laptop' but looking for a new something for work. 4gb of ram is my painpoint atm with my surface pro 3.

For ~$1000 whats the best I can get these days in terms of form factor and performance and 8gb of ram?

Anybody have any experience with xps13?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

100% verified, as I know the person on another forum, who has the laptop in hand. It's an MSI GT72S review unit, still need MXM 3.0b module confirmation.

So it's a GTX 1080 with I think 4 shader clusters removed, and no GDDR5X. TITAN-X PERFORMANCE IN A LAPTOP IT'S HAPPENING.
Damn, way better than I expected.
Excellent news :D

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Damn.

I'm mad Razer JUST updated their Blade.

Any chance we see a 1070M in the Blade this summer? Thoughts?

Guess I'll wait on that AW 13 OLED with 965M I was considering.

Wonder what performance boost a model like that will get, being that it's a very mid-range mobile card.

I'm hoping this holds true.

Common sense and Windows Defender (built into Windows 10) are all you need... Malwarebytes
is a decent companion, but even that isn't necessarily needed.

As an IT consultant, this ^^^

Other AV programs bloat the PC and tbh aren't gonna do much if you download a newer cryptovirus.

Dascu

What does this imply for models in the 1000-1200 euro price range? Good chance for there to be more powerful laptops around by end of July, due to something like a 960M being replaced with an 980M or something similar?

grumble

They should a bit as inventory runs down etc, but the performance advantages are substantial enough it might be worth it - not just for the raw power but for the heat and battery improvements.

They'll be in the same price brackets as always.

Launch day a stock 1080M machine will run right about $1,899, 1070M will start around $1,399, 1060M I'll guess $1,099.
I could shell out on a 1070m, that should be good enough for me considering I still do the majority of my gaming on my ps4. Where are you even getting these estimates though, I know they're cheaper out of the box than the 980 but 1400-1800 for these powerful ass machines seems like a dream more than reality. Unless the computers skimp out on everything else besides the graphics card

hunchback

Size:15 inch
Budget: 800-1,000
Usage: I'm disabled and this will be used in bed 100% of the time.

I'm really wanting a 2 in 1 laptop. I'm not sure if the 2 in 1 laptops make decent gaming laptops.

I plan to use this for movies, tv and drawing. I would also like to game. The type of games I like are the strategy games like Hearts of Iron, any Paradox games basically. I also enjoy turn based Rpg game's.

Weight is a issue. I would like to stay at 5 pounds or under if possible. I have a hospital table in my room so I can set up a external drive if that will cut down on weight. Thank you for any suggestions.

CazTGG

Okay so i've narrowed down the laptops i'm considering to these two:
Acer V Nitro
ASUS ROG

Are there any others that I should consider? I'm leaning towards the Acer between the two.

Acer's 4GB VRam vs the Asus's 2GB is a reasonable upgrade although from your previous post it sounds like you're not going to be gaming much, just editing video?

I would think a strong CPU and plenty of ram would be more important for editing video and both laptops have the same CPU and amount of DDR4 ram, can't tell the speeds on the Acer.

Not sure if the extra $300 CAD is worth the 128GB SSD and 2GB Vram

Both come with 1TB HDD's but you could probably add your own SSD in later.

So it's either buy the Asus and add an SSD yourself, or add an HDD to the Acer.

I'd just buy an MSI GE62 myself, it's the best of the bunch and comes stock with the SSD + HDD you need. It

Thanks! One minor thing since the listing is a bit weird: The Acer laptop I linked does come with a 256 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD as listed on the Acer website and Amazon...however the Amazon post makes it more confusing than it should be due to where that information is listed.

Acer V Nitro
ASUS ROG

Are there any others that I should consider? I'm leaning towards the Acer between the two.

Acer's 4GB VRam vs the Asus's 2GB is a reasonable upgrade although from your previous post it sounds like you're not going to be gaming much, just editing video?

I would think a strong CPU and plenty of ram would be more important for editing video and both laptops have the same CPU and amount of DDR4 ram, can't tell the speeds on the Acer.

Not sure if the extra $300 CAD is worth the 128GB SSD and 2GB Vram

Both come with 1TB HDD's but you could probably add your own SSD in later.

K.Jack

Not really in need of a 'gaming laptop' but looking for a new something for work. 4gb of ram is my painpoint atm with my surface pro 3.

For ~$1000 whats the best I can get these days in terms of form factor and performance and 8gb of ram?

Anybody have any experience with xps13?

This Dell is super popular right now, if you want a dedicated GPU.

Damn.

I'm mad Razer JUST updated their Blade.

Any chance we see a 1070M in the Blade this summer? Thoughts?

Guess I'll wait on that AW 13 OLED with 965M I was considering.

Wonder what performance boost a model like that will get, being that it's a very mid-range mobile card.

I doubt most of the laptops at Computex actually launch with the Maxwell chips, they just had to show something while Nvidia NDA'd the new stuff.

Chinese leak pegged the 1065M at about +50% over the 965M, which would definitely be worth the wait.

What does this imply for models in the 1000-1200 euro price range? Good chance for there to be more powerful laptops around by end of July, due to something like a 960M being replaced with an 980M or something similar?

That price range will be filled by a GTX 1060M. 900M disappears.
Thanks for the advice, which Gigabyte are you referring to?
Uh.. whoops didn't actually link it.

This Lenovo seems to be the best value, as it comes with an SSD.

I could shell out on a 1070m, that should be good enough for me considering I still do the majority of my gaming on my ps4. Where are you even getting these estimates though, I know they're cheaper out of the box than the 980 but 1400-1800 for these powerful ass machines seems like a dream more than reality. Unless the computers skimp out on everything else besides the graphics card

The estimates come from the fact that the last 6+ generations of mobile GPU releases have followed the same exact pricing structure. There's no reason to expect that format to change now.

Size:15 inch
Budget: 800-1,000
Usage: I'm disabled and this will be used in bed 100% of the time.

I'm really wanting a 2 in 1 laptop. I'm not sure if the 2 in 1 laptops make decent gaming laptops.

I plan to use this for movies, tv and drawing. I would also like to game. The type of games I like are the strategy games like Hearts of Iron, any Paradox games basically. I also enjoy turn based Rpg game's.

Weight is a issue. I would like to stay at 5 pounds or under if possible. I have a hospital table in my room so I can set up a external drive if that will cut down on weight. Thank you for any suggestions.

2-in-1s make terrible gaming laptops, they aren't capable at all. This is a good laptop.

I'm in the same situation as you, disabled so 95% of my gaming and laptop use is done from bed. I use the hospital table and everything.

Acer V Nitro
ASUS ROG

So it's either buy the Asus and add an SSD yourself, or add an HDD to the Acer.

I'd just buy an MSI GE62 myself, it's the best of the bunch and comes stock with the SSD + HDD you need. It

SSJLuffy

Good for what?

Building a PC should always be #1 option imo.

I'd expect 1070 laptops to mirror the costs of GTX 970M laptops.

Something thats good and dependable with running modern games. I'm thinking I may just save the extra few hundred and build myself a PC.

What will the 1040m wind up being? Those leaks gad me salivating at >960m perf but can we still trust those? The reemergence of the m monkier is making pascal mobile a real rollercoaster lol.

royale

Acer V Nitro
ASUS ROG

Thanks! One minor thing since the listing is a bit weird: The Acer laptop I linked does come with a 256 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD as listed on the Acer website and Amazon...however the Amazon post makes it more confusing than it should be due to where that information is listed.

Dude, you can get the Acer at The Source of all places with SSD+HDD combo. $999!
It's a steal plus you can get another $75 off with subscribing to their newsletter.

http://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computers-and-tablets/laptops/all-laptops/acer-v-nitro-series-vn7-592g-77lbl-15-6%22-laptop-with-intel%c2%ae-i7-6700%2c-1tb-hdd%2c-256gb-ssd%2c-16gb-ram%2c-nvidia-gtx960m-and-windows-10/p/108042208

Not being a tecky person would I need a beefy laptop to run Straegy games like hearts of iron etc?

Surface Book (ultrabook cpu, 940m graphics) runs it smooth when the graphics are down (sprites and complex shaders off). So that dell inspiron that has 8gb ram and a 960m would demolish it. The problem with hoi4 is late game slowdown, which happens even on supercomputers from space and thus is probably worse on laptops.

rezn0r

I (sort of) need a laptop for a 2 week trip I'm taking in July, mainly to keep in contact with work and be able to remote in when needed... I was looking at the SP4 & Surface Books, which do look very nice, but damn that Dell is like half price of what I'd be spending and sounds like it would tear apart some games much better. May go for it...

Mr E.

Surface Book (ultrabook cpu, 940m graphics) runs it smooth when the graphics are down (sprites and complex shaders off). So that dell inspiron that has 8gb ram and a 960m would demolish it. The problem with hoi4 is late game slowdown, which happens even on supercomputers from space and thus is probably worse on laptops.
Ah ok. Thank you for the info.

Help please. I'm looking into buying a laptop with a budget of only $500 to $550. Doesn't really have to be able to play games, just play full HD videos and web browsing. Just as long as I'm getting the best I can within that limited budget. I'm sorry if there is another thread for this. Thanks.

Any update on this? I'm not exactly optimistic but you never know lol.

CazTGG

Dude, you can get the Acer at The Source of all places with SSD+HDD combo. $999!
It's a steal plus you can get another $75 off with subscribing to their newsletter.

http://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/computers-and-tablets/laptops/all-laptops/acer-v-nitro-series-vn7-592g-77lbl-15-6%22-laptop-with-intel%c2%ae-i7-6700%2c-1tb-hdd%2c-256gb-ssd%2c-16gb-ram%2c-nvidia-gtx960m-and-windows-10/p/108042208

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! This is going to save me enough to get a 4-6TB portable hard drive for when I have to edit videos with more than a terabyte of raw footage (which happens more often than you'd think).

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
What will the 1040m wind up being? Those leaks gad me salivating at >960m perf but can we still trust those? The reemergence of the m monkier is making pascal mobile a real rollercoaster lol.
My performance expectations are:
1080M ~ 1070
1070M > 980
1065M > 970
1060M ~ 970
1050M ~ 960
1040M ~ 965M

I'm basing this on the fact that the previous leaks had the 1080M at a bit better than a desktop 980 and it looks like it will end up thoroughly crushing it.

grumble

Do we have clarity on the amd cards as well? I'd be interested in what they have to offer. I'm also interested in the power draw and thermal performance, as I want a good all-rounder with some gaming oomph that isn't a brick.

Also k-jack thanks a lot for being so helpful here - don't think I'm alone being grateful!

My performance expectations are:
1080M ~ 1070
1070M > 980
1065M > 970
1060M ~ 970
1050M ~ 960
1040M ~ 965M

I'm basing this on the fact that the previous leaks had the 1080M at a bit better than a desktop 980 and it looks like it will end up thoroughly crushing it.
If a 1070m ende up being a 980 then that's all I need for 1080p gaming. Unless the pricing of a computer I like having 1080m and 1070m is worth shelling out a few hundred for the upgrade.

mitchlol

Anyone considered getting the Razer Stealth + Core?

I'm wondering if the core will cause any sort of micro-stuttering due to it's connection.

JamesBenson

Neo Member
I'm going to get a laptop for work later this year, waiting for the new GPU's.

It's going to be my main development machine for the next game I work on, and I would like to use it as a testbed for really high end stuff on the PC side of things.

Is it realistic to think I could get all of the following things in a laptop by the end of this year? (I'm thinking no, since my googling has not brought up much)

21:9 display
Hi-res, something like 3,440 x 1,440
G-sync
high refresh rate, as high as 144hz ideally

1080 gpu, i7 cpu, etc, etc, etc

Failing that, I'd be fine with buying a separate 21:9 monitor I could plug in externally, but I know things can get complicated with exactly what ports can transmit higher refresh rates etc

Any help would be appreciated, want to make sure I future proof as best as possible

What's a good prebuilt gaming Laptop brand?

I only know of Alienware. I don't have the money for any of this I'm just trying to learn about it. I'm becoming a fan of esports especially Starcraft 2.

Edit: Live in the United States. I may not be able to purchase now but I would like the prefer brands from Gaffer's so I could research and learn.

Articalys

With the Steam sale going on, it's finally time for me to actually upgrade my computer. I've thought about getting a desktop, but the GAF thread for that is all about building your own and I don't trust myself with that, plus I wanted to feel out how much the kind of laptop I would need would cost. And I would appreciate portability, since I don't travel a ton, but like the flexibility of not being tied to a desk.

Matching the format from the OP:

Budget: ideally <=$1000, but can stretch to ~$1200 if need be
Max size: 15.6". Don't need an ultraportable, and anything bigger is unnecessary (and probably wouldn't fit in my current backpack)
Usage: all-around gaming; basically just popular stuff from Steam, though nothing too graphics-intensive (i.e not Doom, Arkham Knight, etc; more like Rocket League or DMC4SE), and Minecraft, and of course simpler stuff like Shovel Knight. Presumably anything that can do the above can also handle basic web browsing and watching movies too.
Res/Settings: 1080p/60fps on medium-ish settings for pre-2015 games, 720/60 on low/medium for more recent stuff. Can give up settings quality to fit in budget but would really like to keep 1080/60 if possible. Don't really know what kinds of specs are needed to run the newest stuff "smoothly, if looking a bit rough around the edges" so to speak.
Misc: At least 2 USB ports and HDMI.
Preferably has decent heat dissipation.
Win10 Pro would be preferable as well, because fuck not being able to control updates (don't care about any add'l cost for this one re: budget).
DVD drive would be nice if it doesn't take away much else since I don't need the thinnest laptop around, but apparently they make decent externals these days, so ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

And just for a fun comparison so you can understand what I'm upgrading from, my current ancient 2010 Dell XPS:
Intel i5-560M
6GB RAM
GT 420M
So.... yeah. Appreciate any guidance.
Hopefully this won't get buried at the bottom of the page.

Anyone considered getting the Razer Stealth + Core?

I'm wondering if the core will cause any sort of micro-stuttering due to it's connection.

I was wondering about this too. I was considering it strongly but I came across a video where a guy said it performed worse than the 980 in the Core?

ZZMitch

Hey guys,

I have had an MSI Ghost Pro laptop for a while. Its been great but the little rubber feet on the bottom are starting to come off. Is there a a certain way I should go about getting them to stay stuck?

Thanks

ACSwift

Hey guys,

I have had an MSI Ghost Pro laptop for a while. Its been great but the little rubber feet on the bottom are starting to come off. Is there a a certain way I should go about getting them to stay stuck?

Thanks
Newer models now come with replacement rubber feet. If yours did not come with any, then Id recommend you contact MSI customer support and ask for some replacement ones.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I doubt most of the laptops at Computex actually launch with the Maxwell chips, they just had to show something while Nvidia NDA'd the new stuff.

Chinese leak pegged the 1065M at about +50% over the 965M, which would definitely be worth the wait.

If Alienware has a 13" OLED model available this summer with a 1065M, and that 1065M is truly about 50% more powerful than the current 965M... well, then, yeah... it's a definite buy from me. Period. I'm salivating at the thought.

K.Jack

Help please. I'm looking into buying a laptop with a budget of only $500 to $550. Doesn't really have to be able to play games, just play full HD videos and web browsing. Just as long as I'm getting the best I can within that limited budget. I'm sorry if there is another thread for this. Thanks.

This would do.

Could stretch for one of these if you want light gaming possibilities.

Got any suggestions for me whenever I decide to go for it?

Ask desktop questions over here.

Any update on this? I'm not exactly optimistic but you never know lol.

Nvidia NDA ninjas killed the source, we have to wait a bit for those details now.

I'm going to get a laptop for work later this year, waiting for the new GPU's.

It's going to be my main development machine for the next game I work on, and I would like to use it as a testbed for really high end stuff on the PC side of things.

Is it realistic to think I could get all of the following things in a laptop by the end of this year? (I'm thinking no, since my googling has not brought up much)

21:9 display
Hi-res, something like 3,440 x 1,440
G-sync
high refresh rate, as high as 144hz ideally

1080 gpu, i7 cpu, etc, etc, etc

Failing that, I'd be fine with buying a separate 21:9 monitor I could plug in externally, but I know things can get complicated with exactly what ports can transmit higher refresh rates etc

Any help would be appreciated, want to make sure I future proof as best as possible

The one thing you won't get in a laptop is the 21.9" display.

What's a good prebuilt gaming Laptop brand?

I only know of Alienware. I don't have the money for any of this I'm just trying to learn about it. I'm becoming a fan of esports especially Starcraft 2.

Edit: Live in the United States. I may not be able to purchase now but I would like the prefer brands from Gaffer's so I could research and learn.

MSI is at the top, quality wise. Then I'd go Sager/Clevo, Gigabyte, Alienware, Asus.

With the Steam sale going on, it's finally time for me to actually upgrade my computer. I've thought about getting a desktop, but the GAF thread for that is all about building your own and I don't trust myself with that, plus I wanted to feel out how much the kind of laptop I would need would cost. And I would appreciate portability, since I don't travel a ton, but like the flexibility of not being tied to a desk.

Matching the format from the OP:

Budget: ideally <=$1000, but can stretch to ~$1200 if need be
Max size: 15.6". Don't need an ultraportable, and anything bigger is unnecessary (and probably wouldn't fit in my current backpack)
Usage: all-around gaming; basically just popular stuff from Steam, though nothing too graphics-intensive (i.e not Doom, Arkham Knight, etc; more like Rocket League or DMC4SE), and Minecraft, and of course simpler stuff like Shovel Knight. Presumably anything that can do the above can also handle basic web browsing and watching movies too.
Res/Settings: 1080p/60fps on medium-ish settings for pre-2015 games, 720/60 on low/medium for more recent stuff. Can give up settings quality to fit in budget but would really like to keep 1080/60 if possible. Don't really know what kinds of specs are needed to run the newest stuff "smoothly, if looking a bit rough around the edges" so to speak.
Misc: At least 2 USB ports and HDMI.
Preferably has decent heat dissipation.
Win10 Pro would be preferable as well, because fuck not being able to control updates (don't care about any add'l cost for this one re: budget).
DVD drive would be nice if it doesn't take away much else since I don't need the thinnest laptop around, but apparently they make decent externals these days, so ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

And just for a fun comparison so you can understand what I'm upgrading from, my current ancient 2010 Dell XPS:

So.... yeah. Appreciate any guidance.
Hopefully this won't get buried at the bottom of the page.

[URL="http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7255-clevo-n155rd-p-8671.html"]I'd spec out one of these.

If you wanna stretch for a better GPU, there's this Sager w/ GTX 970M

If Alienware has a 13" OLED model available this summer with a 1065M, and that 1065M is truly about 50% more powerful than the current 965M... well, then, yeah... it's a definite buy from me. Period. I'm salivating at the thought.

Man if they do a 17" OLED I'm tempted as heck.

My current laptop is now losing audio every fucking 5 seconds it's getting annoying, hopefully the announcement of July for the new laptops wasn't fake. I need to change this motherfucker.

Top Bottom