• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

TheContact

Anybody checked out the ASUS ROG GL502VY-DS71? Looks like it released just recently, thinking about picking it up. I don't need a powerhouse laptop, just something I can use around the house or on business trips to still be able to play games even if it's not at max settings.

Specs:
CPU: i7 6700HQ
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Video: Nvidia GTX 980M 4GB
Storage: 128GB SSD & 1TB 7200RPM
Screen: 1080P IPS GSYNC 15.6"
Dimensions: 15", .88 in. thick, 4.9lbs
Price: $1699

I thought those seemed like pretty beefy specs for such a thin/light laptop. Seem like a good option?

I orderd the Asus gl502 vy (the $1699) version. I thought about getting the new razer blade 2016 but it had a weaker gpu and was more expensive, by like $300. I ordered a 500gb ssd to replace the 1tb hdd it comes with (I hate hdd in laptops) and got an external caddy for the hdd to turn it into an external hdd. There aren't a lot of reviews for the laptop, but according to one the laptop runs super hot so that's a concern to me. The laptop comes today so I'm really excited to try it out.

Azuardo

It was a laptop which mysteriously just disappeared. I dunno what happened there.

Octane II Pro is a whole different price bracket, if you want something that expensive I'd wait for Pascal.

Np, so the Octane II then?

Edit: Okay, the link is directing to the plain old Octane now. But I see the default settings places the Octane II at a lower price than the Octane...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Singapore.
No concrete budget but lets say 2000 sgd.
Would rather have a more powerful 15" than skimp for a 17".
I would like it to run TW: Warhammer at an acceptable framerate.

Links to some sites?

Np, so the Octane II then?

Edit: Okay, the link is directing to the plain old Octane now. But I see the default settings places the Octane II at a lower price than the Octane...
I honestly don't know what it was, outside of its 17" screen and £1,080 starting price. Wasn't the Octane or Octane II, as it didn't have their desktop CPUs. Maybe it was a system error on their end. I did wonder how such a machine was at that price.

Getting back to your original post, the Defiance we initially discussed fits both the budget and gameplay requirements you provided.

I don't know how you release a gaming laptop now without thunderbolt 3
Because fuck you buy my new laptop in 2 years.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Usa
Any $500 recommendations ?
1080 resolution if possible
Looking to do music production and light video editing.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Kjack can probably recommend something better but at that price point you'd probably have to settle for a 940m

Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315302

Cheapest laptop with a 950m seems to start around $625

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315165

I didn't want to go Acer agian cause the laptop I'm looking to replace was an Acer and it gave me nothing but problems. Those specs for the price got me reconsidering though. Thanks.

Azuardo

Getting back to your original post, the Defiance we initially discussed fits both the budget and gameplay requirements you provided.

I'm modifying the components for it now, based on what you mentioned. I've simply gone with the first available option when I've got a choice - e.g. the first 1TB HDD in the list, the first 128GB M.2 SSD in the list, etc.

I can give a list of everything I've chosen if that helps, but it's essentially the first option where necessary. Is that okay?

I've picked the 980M, which does drive the price up a bit more.

Also, what's the recommendation on Windows 10 now? Go with that or 8.1? And Home or Professional for either?

I was also asked where to install the OS - on HDD or SSD, to which it recommended the SSD.

Cheers again for the help. Just want to be fully sure I'm picking the right things or if it makes any major difference to go with one component over another before buying.

K.Jack

I'm modifying the components for it now, based on what you mentioned. I've simply gone with the first available option when I've got a choice - e.g. the first 1TB HDD in the list, the first 128GB M.2 SSD in the list, etc.

I can give a list of everything I've chosen if that helps, but it's essentially the first option where necessary. Is that okay?

I've picked the 980M, which does drive the price up a bit more.

Also, what's the recommendation on Windows 10 now? Go with that or 8.1? And Home or Professional for either?

I was also asked where to install the OS - on HDD or SSD, to which it recommended the SSD.

Cheers again for the help. Just want to be fully sure I'm picking the right things or if it makes any major difference to go with one component over another before buying.
I was selecting the first option too, no problem with that. I did just notice that the 256GB SSD is only £19 more than the 128GB, that's good value for twice the storage space.

I'm still running 8.1, so I don't have much of an opinion on 10 yet.

Yeah always put the OS on the SSD.

I orderd the Asus gl502 vy (the $1699) version. I thought about getting the new razer blade 2016 but it had a weaker gpu and was more expensive, by like $300. I ordered a 500gb ssd to replace the 1tb hdd it comes with (I hate hdd in laptops) and got an external caddy for the hdd to turn it into an external hdd. There aren't a lot of reviews for the laptop, but according to one the laptop runs super hot so that's a concern to me. The laptop comes today so I'm really excited to try it out.

Had a chance to test out your new laptop?

I'm really liking mine, I can run any game I want, even TW3, at max or near max settings at 1080p and still get smooth gameplay due to the combination of the 980m and the GSync panel. I'm actually pretty shocked, I thought I'd have to turn down more settings in my games.

The laptop does get hot in the area between the keyboard and screen, but it's not hot at all where the keyboard and trackpad are. As long as you don't have the laptop sitting directly on your lap while playing a game (get a cooling pad or even just have a lap desk or book under it) and the heat isn't a concern at all.

For the price and form factor, I really think ASUS knocked it out of the park and I don't regret getting this laptop at all.

Azuardo

I was selecting the first option too, no problem with that. I did just notice that the 256GB SSD is only £19 more than the 128GB, that's good value for twice the storage space.

I'm still running 8.1, so I don't have much of an opinion on 10 yet.

Yeah always put the OS on the SSD.

Thank you for all your help. I've just put down my order... £1430. After my car, I think that's the most I've ever spent on one thing haha, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

I'll get back with how everything is once I get my hands on it. Thanks again :) (and thanks to others who also threw their weight behind a 980M to influence my decision).

Fusebox

Banned

Win 10 and on the SSD for sure. Good specs btw man, I'd have that laptop. Trying to stay strong and hold out for a 10x0 model though.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member

Maximum budget: €4000

Max size: I'd like a 17,3 inch screen.

Planned usage: System admin, so a lot of virtualization, networking, some heavy applications. But since I simply don't have the place to build a gaming pc, I need something that can play the newest games on high settings too. Battlefield 1 for example on high/ultra settings.

Relevant: Important is that it has a numeric keypad. i7, at least 16gb RAM and a good display (Full HD or more).

Note: some retailers.

http://www.laptopshop.nl/
http://www.mediamarkt.nl/mcs/productlist/_Laptops,10259,512030.html?langId=-11

What is this GTX 1080 talk about? Should I wait on that?

K.Jack

Planned usage: System admin, so a lot of virtualization, networking, some heavy applications. But since I simply don't have the place to build a gaming pc, I need something that can play the newest games on high settings too. Battlefield 1 for example on high/ultra settings.

Relevant: Important is that it has a numeric keypad. i7, at least 16gb RAM and a good display (Full HD or more).

Mother_of_God.gif

Are you in a rush? With a budget like that, I'd try to wait for the Pascal chips.

Ulysses 31

Asus ROG GX700VO should suit you. Loving mine.

K.Jack

GX700 is a joke.

There are Clevos which run a GTX 980 and an unlocked desktop CPU, without needing that huge monstrosity hanging off the back.

Kieli

If you're spending that much, definitely definitely deifnitely wait for Pascal. A full 1080 in a laptop would be super beastly.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
New generation of GPUS

If you can wait until like October it's definitely worth it

Mother_of_God.gif

Are you in a rush? With a budget like that, I'd try to wait for the Pascal chips.

Well, I have been holding off for like 4/5 years now. So I guess I could wait a little bit longer. If my current laptop doesn't die on me just yet. Slowly starting to show it's age and it's annoying the fuck out of me.. But yeah.

Asus ROG GX700VO should suit you. Loving mine.

Yeah been eyeing that one, really love the design. That cooler is horrific though, visually I mean. Just does not look good.

If you're spending that much, definitely definitely deifnitely wait for Pascal. A full 1080 in a laptop would be super beastly.

Cool, good to know. Will watch movies on that thing too (besides gaming/application/virtual stuff etc.). Should I try something with a 4K screen (if available) or is that just a waste?

My wife wants a Dell XPS 15 for gaming. Aiming to get it before WoW Legion comes out on August 30.

What retailer should we get it from? Is it usually best to order direct through Dell or will we find dramatically lower pricing from other retailers?

K.Jack

Oh damn thats pretty soon. If the GTX's 1080 price point and power is anything to go buy these laptops should be a bit cheaper than usual?

Laptops will fill the same price brackets as usual: 1060M around ~$1k, 1070M around ~$1.3K, 1080M above $1.5k, +/- a hundred.

Well, I have been holding off for like 4/5 years now. So I guess I could wait a little bit longer. If my current laptop doesn't die on me just yet. Slowly starting to show it's age and it's annoying the fuck out of me.. But yeah.

Cool, good to know. Will watch movies on that thing too (besides gaming/application/virtual stuff etc.). Should I try something with a 4K screen (if available) or is that just a waste?

4K still feels like a waste to me. Laptops aren't even shipping with 4K Blu-ray players yet.

My wife wants a Dell XPS 15 for gaming. Aiming to get it before WoW Legion comes out on August 30.

What retailer should we get it from? Is it usually best to order direct through Dell or will we find dramatically lower pricing from other retailers?

I buy all of my expensive toys through Amazon. Their return policy is unmatched.

Hey guys, I am in need of a new laptop. I spilled a full coffee on my (already old and slow alienware mx17) and I need a replacement. I built a gaming Desktop last year so I play all new releases on that.

Price: lets say $1500 CAD max (i figure I may as well get a Macbook if I am going over $2000)
Use: Netflix, browsing, some light gaming (path of exile/indie games)
Main features: SSD / Light. the alienware was like 10 pounds and really annoying. I am thinking 15 inch but 13 is possible.

What is my best bet?

Magnus

Guys, thoughts on the Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 (laptop + tablet/touchscreen) 7000 line? The 15-inch one with an i7 2.5ghz, 8gb ram, and a 1TB HD is on sale at Best Buy (Canada), down from $1150 to $950 CDN (probably $700-750 US?)

I'm upgrading from a 2010 MacBook Pro. Lol. Want something that can handle pretty much all the Blizzard games on High to Ultra and be a competent awesome Win 10 laptop for at least 3 years.

Fusebox

Banned
Hasn't that only got onboard gfx? Better of getting something with a GPU in it like the XPS 15.

Keep an eye on the Dell site for a sale, they're always having sales.

K.Jack

Hey guys, I am in need of a new laptop. I spilled a full coffee on my (already old and slow alienware mx17) and I need a replacement. I built a gaming Desktop last year so I play all new releases on that.

Price: lets say $1500 CAD max (i figure I may as well get a Macbook if I am going over $2000)
Use: Netflix, browsing, some light gaming (path of exile/indie games)
Main features: SSD / Light. the alienware was like 10 pounds and really annoying. I am thinking 15 inch but 13 is possible.

What is my best bet?

This Gigabyte fits the bill, and well below budget.

Guys, thoughts on the Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 (laptop + tablet/touchscreen) 7000 line? The 15-inch one with an i7 2.5ghz, 8gb ram, and a 1TB HD is on sale at Best Buy (Canada), down from $1150 to $950 CDN (probably $700-750 US?)

I'm upgrading from a 2010 MacBook Pro. Lol. Want something that can handle pretty much all the Blizzard games on High to Ultra and be a competent awesome Win 10 laptop for at least 3 years.

You won't be playing any games on that. How about this instead?

RTSD

Neo Member
pardon my complete and utter ignorance, but are there any "big" laptops that can fit a desktop 1070 in them? I didnt see any 1000 series cards in any of the notebooks on newegg.ca what's up with that? I heard the 1070 was a great deal for the price atm.

Budget: $1800 tax included
size: can be as big and loud and heavy as it needs to be, as long as i can drag it around to different parts of my art studio.
features: I do not care about anything except cpu/gpu power, enough ram to run browsers, photoshop, hd video all at the same time and at least 1TB HDD storage, also needs usb ports and hdmi out. would be nice to out perform my ps4 for games. I really dont care about SSD's.

Help as I have no idea what im doing. and my current 2011, best buy show floor POS is dying fast!

K.Jack

pardon my complete and utter ignorance, but are there any "big" laptops that can fit a desktop 1070 in them? I didnt see any 1000 series cards in any of the notebooks on newegg.ca what's up with that? I heard the 1070 was a great deal for the price atm.

size: can be as big and loud and heavy as it needs to be, as long as i can drag it around to different parts of my art studio.
features: I do not care about anything except cpu/gpu power, enough ram to run browsers, photoshop, hd video all at the same time and at least 1TB HDD storage, also needs usb ports and hdmi out. would be nice to out perform my ps4 for games. I really dont care about SSD's.

Help as I have no idea what im doing. and my current 2011, best buy show floor POS is dying fast!
The Pascal series hasn't hit mobile yet, we're 2-3 months out.

There will be 1070 and 1080 laptops. You may want to wait, if you can.

grumble

May I ask why you don't care about ssds? I mean they dramatically improve the experience of using a computer, I'm surprised to hear it. I'd consider it a must have in a new laptop, personally.

RTSD

Neo Member
May I ask why you don't care about ssds? I mean they dramatically improve the experience of using a computer, I'm surprised to hear it. I'd consider it a must have in a new laptop, personally.

Again my ignorance in these issues knows no bounds.

mainly i dont care much about crazy fast load times for games. How would say an SSD boot drive help with o/s, app performance? Remember I am dumb at computers.

Also if there are no laptop 1070's is it practical to put a desktop 1070 in a very big laptop? The OP says that laptop GPU's are much worse than there desktop counterparts so this is where my poor logic stems from.

Kieli

The Pascal series hasn't hit mobile yet, we're 2-3 months out.

There will be 1070 and 1080 laptops. You may want to wait, if you can.

I think 1070 and 1080 laptops will occupy the highest tier price ranges.

We're talking 3000 - 4000 CAD because that's where the SLI-980M and full-fat 980s sit.

At that point, you may as well purchase a $2000 laptop with 1080M and then another $2000 laptop with a GTX 1080Ti.

K.Jack

I think 1070 and 1080 laptops will occupy the highest tier price ranges.

We're talking 3000 - 4000 CAD because that's where the SLI-980M and full-fat 980s sit.

At that point, you may as well purchase a $2000 laptop with 1080M and then another $2000 laptop with a GTX 1080Ti.

Well if PCGamer ends up right about Nvidia completely dropping the 'M' GPUs, that means the 1080 and 1070 laptops would occupy the same price bracket in which the single 980M and 970M machines launched.

mainly i dont care much about crazy fast load times for games. How would say an SSD boot drive help with o/s, app performance? Remember I am dumb at computers.

Also if there are no laptop 1070's is it practical to put a desktop 1070 in a very big laptop? The OP says that laptop GPU's are much worse than there desktop counterparts so this is where my poor logic stems from.

SSDs are mandattory, but I agree with pushing the whole budget towards the best CPU and GPU you can afford. SSD upgrades can come later, and are much cheaper than aftermarket CPU/GPU upgrades.

CazTGG

A bit of a cross-post but I was look into getting a new laptop and came across this one. Not looking to play games on it since I already have a gaming PC but I am planning on editing videos on it when on the go, will this be fine for that or is there a better choice for roughly the same price?

EDIT: Also this one and this one which are a little more expensive but seems to have better specs overall.

Magnus

This Gigabyte fits the bill, and well below budget.

You won't be playing any games on that. How about this instead?

Educate me as to why this is better - honestly asking, because I don't know. I see $200 more for a much smaller HD (albeit SSD) and Lenovo (which people have warned me away from as a cheaper manufacturer), though this rig has a decent graphics card (right?) which the Dell one doesn't, apparently?

K.Jack

Educate me as to why this is better - honestly asking, because I don't know. I see $200 more for a much smaller HD (albeit SSD) and Lenovo (which people have warned me away from as a cheaper manufacturer), though this rig has a decent graphics card (right?) which the Dell one doesn't, apparently?

Well you said you want "something that can handle pretty much all the Blizzard games on High to Ultra and be a competent awesome Win 10 laptop for at least 3 years", but the thing you posted won't even almost do that. The thing I posted will do that with ease. The thing you posted has a 1TB HDD. The thing I posted has a 1TB HDD and a 128GB SSD. Then we get to the CPU and GPU being massively more powerful. So for the extra $200 it's a steal.

Lenovo's new gaming laptops are of good build quality.

You mention you use Photoshop. SSDs help a lot with typical computer use. For example, opening a folder of photos. It can be excessively slow to load their thumbnails. It's not something you'd feel on a fresh install if you have an HDD, but eventually it makes general computer use very frustrating. On my older PC, it felt just as if it was a fresh install. I can never say that with any HDD system I've had.

Magnus

Well you said you want "something that can handle pretty much all the Blizzard games on High to Ultra and be a competent awesome Win 10 laptop for at least 3 years", but the thing you posted won't even almost do that. The thing I posted will do that with ease. The thing you posted has a 1TB HDD. The thing I posted has a 1TB HDD and a 128GB SSD. Then we get to the CPU and GPU being massively more powerful. So for the extra $200 it's a steal.

Lenovo's new gaming laptops are of good build quality.

Gotcha. Thank you!

Are Lenovo's/Newegg's return policies and warranties decent?

RTSD

Neo Member
so just to get a clear answer, putting a desktop off the shelf non mobile 1070 in a very big laptop; is this or isn't it a thing that could practically be accomplished?
Edit: so i just came across this thread which proves im an imbecile http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1226895 .

So if the answer really is to wait a few months, how much will these mobile 1070's most likely cost in canadian $? If you can only give an american $ estimate I can do the conversion myself based of similar tech product markups.

K.Jack

Any good Laptops that are in the 600-800 dollar range or should I just build my own PC?

Good for what?

Building a PC should always be #1 option imo.

so just to get a clear answer, putting a desktop off the shelf non mobile 1070 in a very big laptop; is this or isn't it a thing that could practically be accomplished?
Edit: so i just came across this thread which proves im an imbecile http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1226895 .

So if the answer really is to wait a few months, how much will these mobile 1070's most likely cost in canadian $? If you can only give an american $ estimate I can do the conversion myself based of similar tech product markups.

I'd expect 1070 laptops to mirror the costs of GTX 970M laptops.

Top Bottom