• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
if you click on the top left option it has a $1600 1060 version. Bigger screen than my first option, but 4 GB less of RAM.

I guess one is the ultra portable 14'' gaming laptop, the other is the bigger screen one?

Yeah, size difference, and I doubt the 14" is going to have an upgradeable GPU. Might be soldered.

Thanks, glad you steered me away from that ASUS machine. Unless I find something "better" in the next few days, the 15.6" MSI GT62 Dominator is the way I'm leaning.

I think that qualifies as a good choice. I knew something would be wrong with the ASUS. It's impossible to run a 125W GPU in a machine that thin, without turning the chassis into a saute pan.

That's what I'm leaning towards as I already have an msi machine and it's been good to me but I'm a little worried about the build quality of the GS73.

What has you worried? They're top shelf in build quality, as far as I know.

Honestly it seems that by paying a 100 dollar premium I can go to a bigger screen, bigger keyboard with number pad, backlit keyboard, and can possibly avoid issues of ultra portable laptops of heating.

I might talk with Amazon to upgrade.

edit: not seeing the thunderbolt 3 port in the GT72?

edit 2: The quest for more money: Seems like the GT72 removed thunderbolt 3. And if I ever want to get an egpu, I want to have it. GS43VR has it so I guess I'll stick with that.

The GT72 has never had Thunderbolt. In fact none of the previous generation's MSI machines did.

GT72 has no thunderbolt, the GT73 does.

I honestly don't understand why they're still selling the GT72. Seems weird to update it at all, when the GT73 has everything and more.

How does this Sager compare to the MSI GT62VR? It's a bit cheaper (they say it's $150 off right now) and seems to have very similar components. How are Sager's on heat?

What Sager?

Yeah, size difference, and I doubt the 14" is going to have an upgradeable GPU. Might be soldered.

I think that qualifies as a good choice. I knew something would be wrong with the ASUS. It's impossible to run a 125W GPU in a machine that thin, without turning the chassis into a saute pan.

The GT72 has never had Thunderbolt. In fact none of the previous generation's MSI machines did.

I honestly don't understand why they're still selling the GT72. Seems weird to update it at all, when the GT73 has everything and more.

What Sager?

Yeah I'm an idiot and forgot to link to it. This is the one I'm talking about https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8153-S.html

Edit: Hell I can add the QFHD screen option to it from XOTIC and it would be cheaper than getting it direct from Sager (not sure if QFHD is worth it or not) or I could add the 6820HK and QFHD screen for not much more than the base model from Sager directly themselves.

What Sager?

What do you recommend then?

One has the MXM/Upgradeable GPU, the other has the thunderbolt 3 port.

Hyoukokun

Possibly a dumb question, but is it fairly easy to upgrade RAM / HDDs on MSI's laptops? I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but if/when I do I'd probably want to kit it out with extra RAM and the 512GB SSD that I have lying around.

sjmj1509

Neo Member
County: United States
Maximum budget: $1350 but was hoping to keep it under $1200 if possible
Max size: 15.6" screen size, weight doesn't matter much
Planned usage: Gaming, specifically I'd like to be able Dark Soul III well. I'd really like to get a computer that will be able to play games coming out in the next few years at 720p if possible.

I was thinking about buying the ASUS Q534UX from best buy, but I can't really say I know much about gaming laptops, I'd like to know if this would be a good choice for playing recent games, specifically Dark Souls III, well and if it'll be a viable option for future games, at least for the next few years. If not are there any recommendations that you have that would be able to meet at least minimum required specs for games in the next few years under $1300.
Also I don't know anything about upgrading laptops but I'd like to learn, are there any resources, preferably videos, that you'd recommend?
Thank you

Possibly a dumb question, but is it fairly easy to upgrade RAM / HDDs on MSI's laptops? I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but if/when I do I'd probably want to kit it out with extra RAM and the 512GB SSD that I have lying around.

Depends on the MSI laptop, I imagine any of their GT series are easy to change the SSD/HDD and ram on but at least some releases of their GS (thin laptops) are notably more intensive to change parts on.

See this video on I think the 2014 GS60 from MSI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ZicdFEn9o

Planned usage: Gaming, specifically I'd like to be able Dark Soul III well. I'd really like to get a computer that will be able to play games coming out in the next few years at 720p if possible.

I was thinking about buying the ASUS Q534UX from best buy, but I can't really say I know much about gaming laptops, I'd like to know if this would be a good choice for playing recent games, specifically Dark Souls III, well and if it'll be a viable option for future games, at least for the next few years. If not are there any recommendations that you have that would be able to meet at least minimum required specs for games in the next few years under $1300.

You're in for a treat! You may not realize or appreciate it but you're looking for a laptop right when a new generation of GPU hardware is releasing and price to performance is fantastic

Pass on the Q534UX, go for something with a 1060

K.Jack can make a better suggestion but here's something to start

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gamin...=price&graphicscard=162&price=1229.00,1399.63

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah I'm an idiot and forgot to link to it. This is the one I'm talking about https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8153-S.html

The Sager looks like the better value, to me.

The eGPU potential is pretty important to you, so I'd stick with the GS43.

The GE and GT series have everything accessible with just taking of the bottom panel. Extremely easy.

The GS series is not really built that way.

Also I don't know anything about upgrading laptops but I'd like to learn, are there any resources, preferably videos, that you'd recommend?
Thank you

For longevity, the Sager NP8152 SwiftDeath linked is nice, at the top of your budget.

Or you could grab one of these before they're gone. GTX 970M is on clearance pricing and is still strong.

Ok, I'm on the verge of picking this Aorus up, so shoot me straight, is it worth 2700?

15.6" WQHD+ 3K Matte Screen w/ G-Sync

Intel® Skylake i7-6820HK

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 [8GB] VR Ready

Up to 64GB RAM

256GB M.2 NVMe + 1TB HDD

TBA Hours / 5.50lbs

3D Score: 34,535 [Vantage]

With 32gb of RAM 2800mhz, 256 ssd

The Sager looks like the better value, to me.

The eGPU potential is pretty important to you, so I'd stick with the GS43.

The GE and GT series have everything accessible with just taking of the bottom panel. Extremely easy.

The GS series is not really built that way.

For longevity, the Sager NP8152 SwiftDeath linked is nice, at the top of your budget.

Or you could grab one of these before they're gone. GTX 970M is on clearance pricing and is still strong.

Cool thanks. Worth $97 to upgrade to QFHD or worth $121 for the 6820HK, or is sticking with the stock config my best bang for the buck?

jetsetrez

What is the absolute cheapest 10-series laptop currently on offer? And do we expect the big OEMs (HP, Dell, etc) to offer cheaper models soon?

If I have to wait for a 1050, do you think that will still be good enough to run most games at high 1080p?

ss_lemonade

So let's see if anyone wants this before I head to the BST thread. Would anyone be interested in my MSI GS60 for $1200 shipped? It still looks pretty good, purchased Nov last year, never even removed the plastic that surrounds the screen's behind (don't know if that's good or not) and it's always been kept inside a laptop bag when not in use. It's this one specifically

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4152941&cm_re=msi_gs60-_-34-152-941-_-Product

1080p, 970m, 6700HQ, 16GB, 128GB nvme SSD + 1TB 7200 HDD

Here are some pics of it:

http://imgur.com/a/vPGg0

Huh so the actual nvidia PR page for the 10 series of mobile GPUS is somewhat interesting

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-10-series-laptops

Now, across the vast range of GTX 10-Series laptops, you’ll be able to choose between 1920x1080, 2560x1440, and 3840x2160 G-SYNC displays, operating at up to 120Hz.

Thought there were only G-sync 1080p and 1440p panels? Maybe those are 120hz G-sync and 2160p is 60hz g-sync?

The ultra-efficient Pascal architecture delivers up to 30% more battery life compared to Maxwell laptops

Which I have to assume means one of the 3 available [1060, 1070, or 1080] is 30% more energy efficient than its predecessor in some measurable way.

What is the absolute cheapest 10-series laptop currently on offer? And do we expect the big OEMs (HP, Dell, etc) to offer cheaper models soon?

If I have to wait for a 1050, do you think that will still be good enough to run most games at high 1080p?

Absolute cheapest I've seen is this Sager on Xoticpcs for $1250 with a 1060, somehow cheaper than Sager's own site, go figure

Average Power increase from Maxwell mobile to Pascal Mobile between the 3 released cards seems to be around a 72% increase with a minimum of 52% increase on the 1060 if I'm doing the math right and the Wikipedia page is accurate

Assuming the 1050 is within the same range increase-wise from Maxwell and is the successor to the 960m, you're looking at somewhere between 2150 and 2400 gflops which loosely translates to a 970m or a Desktop GTX 960 so it would likely fare pretty well going forward on most games I imagine.

z3phon

Any Canadians here, whats the best place to buy a laptop from?
Also some advice would be appreciated. I'm interested in a 17" laptop with the 1080, Which one would be a good choice to get. I usually go for MSI but I've always heard good things about Sager. Which one's would have the better cooling?

CazTGG

How exactly *would* one upgrade these laptops? Even though they can run a 1060-80 in them, I can't find any place that specifically sells a 1060/70/80 that can be stuck into a laptop without prior modification, plus I doubt the cost of upgrading the card would be justified with incremental performance increases from here on out. Unless you have a 970m or lower, I don't see the point in doing so in an older MXM laptop outside of 4k gaming.

Any Canadians here, whats the best place to buy a laptop from?
Also some advice would be appreciated. I'm interested in a 17" laptop with the 1080, Which one would be a good choice to get. I usually go for MSI but I've always heard good things about Sager. Which one's would have the better cooling?

The only site I recall that ships to Canada (without costing a fortune from import duties) is Reflexnotebook, but the ones that have a 1080/have it as an option in them are upwards of $3,000 CAD before tax or even extra RAM (though you can get more RAM at a higher clock than 2400 on Newegg if you need it) or an SSD to boot, plus about $100 in shipping. With sites like XOTICPC and Pro-Star (which, if i recall from searching through when I was looking for a new laptop before all of this correctly, do ship to Canada or can be shipped to a forwarding service to save on shipping costs), you have to keep the conversion rate in mind since their prices are in USD whereas sites like Avadirect, to my recollection, don't ship outside of the U.S., plus they have an outrageously high shipping cost compared to competitors that offer it for free in the U.S., making what savings you may have made from their prices null. I recently got my U506 (basically a Clevo P751 but from a European reseller called Schenker Technologies) from mysn.co.uk, which have a student discount depending on if you're currently in school (which can't be applied to any additional sales like the one that was going on at the time for the 980m), though I don't believe the current conversion rate and import duties would help you save much money. Frankly, I don't see the need for that much power in a laptop unless one is planning on using it for 4K but XOTIC or Reflex are your best options for a Clevo/Sager. What do you plan on using this laptop for? You never mentioned what it's primary usage will be.

Gigabyte is also refreshing their line of laptops which is expected considering Aorus refresh was already announced

http://www.pcper.com/news/Systems/GIGABYTE-Announces-GeForce-GTX-10-Series-Gaming-Laptops

specs.PNG

http://www.gigabyte.us/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1469

No mention of any G-Sync panels but the P35 is a 15.6" laptop just barely larger than the GS60 [Old version] and has a 1070 in it. Probably runs too hot like that Asus though

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Time to upgrade my Alienware M11x R1 lol.

I want the smallest sized laptop possible with a 1060.
Seems to be the 14" Razer Blade no? Build quality ok on those?

How exactly *would* one upgrade these laptops? Even though they can run a 1060-80 in them, I can't find any place that specifically sells a 1060/70/80 that can be stuck into a laptop without prior modification, plus I doubt the cost of upgrading the card would be justified with incremental performance increases from here on out. Unless you have a 970m or lower, I don't see the point in doing so in an older MXM laptop outside of 4k gaming.

The only site I recall that ships to Canada (without costing a fortune from import duties) is Reflexnotebook, but the ones that have a 1080/have it as an option in them are upwards of $3,000 CAD before tax or even extra RAM (though you can get more RAM at a higher clock than 2400 on Newegg if you need it) or an SSD to boot, plus about $100 in shipping. With sites like XOTICPC and Pro-Star (which, if i recall from searching through when I was looking for a new laptop before all of this correctly, do ship to Canada or can be shipped to a forwarding service to save on shipping costs), you have to keep the conversion rate in mind since their prices are in USD whereas sites like Avadirect, to my recollection, don't ship outside of the U.S., plus they have an outrageously high shipping cost compared to competitors that offer it for free in the U.S., making what savings you may have made from their prices null. I recently got my U506 (basically a Clevo P751 but from a European reseller called Schenker Technologies) from mysn.co.uk, which have a student discount depending on if you're currently in school (which can't be applied to any additional sales like the one that was going on at the time for the 980m), though I don't believe the current conversion rate and import duties would help you save much money. Frankly, I don't see the need for that much power in a laptop unless one is planning on using it for 4K but XOTIC or Reflex are your best options for a Clevo/Sager. What do you plan on using this laptop for? You never mentioned what it's primary usage will be.
Apparently it's just a gpu specifically designed to be swapped out as its not soldered. But at the end of the day the prices are apparently ridiculous.

I mean sure egpu prices in the future are likely to be just as bad as now you need a casing plus its own cooling system and external power.

But I'd honestly rather that. It's exciting to consider the possibility with egpu. I mean you'd eventually have to upgrade your laptop once the cpu is holding you back.

Found something else a little disappointing or maybe exciting for people, who knows.

The 17" of the MSI Stealth Line, GS73 (Ghost successor) and ONLY the 17" version seems to have a 120hz 5ms display, maybe one of the laptops waiting g-sync certification???

MSI Spec Page | Newegg Spec Page

17.3" Full HD (1920x1080), 120 Hz Refresh Rate and 5ms response time panel (Optional)

---

14" and 15.6" version do not seem to have this option

[14" MSI Page ; Newegg Page | 15.6" MSI Page ; Newegg Page]

Looks like Aorus x5 v6 might have the best of all worlds, relatively small and light for gaming notebook .9 in 5.5lbs, 1070 gpu, and option to have 120hz gsync monitor at 15in. Temperatures will be the obvious question.

http://www.aorus.com/Product/Spec/X5 v6

Interesting specs but probably runs very hot. Also from the previous model I worry the USB C Port is not Thunderbolt 3 still :(

Definitely checks a lot of the boxes for me though

Is there a possibility that a 15 inch laptop will have the 1080m card?

Seems unlikely. Mobile variant of the 1080 is the current top of the line Laptop GPU and is the successor to the mobile 980 [different than the 980m].

The Mobile 980 was never put into a 15" laptop to my knowledge.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
These news, holy shit.
Xmas in August.

Based nVidia.

Worth mentioning since I sold my laptop and made this mistake: WATCH YOUR SAVES. Check which games you have have Steam Cloud storage, and make sure if you create a backup on another HDD that it has the game's saves.

RIP my Dark Souls 3 character.
In the future, use GameSave Manager, have been using it for *years* and works beautifully.

Damn ... prices in Europe are INSANE !

2500€ for a 1070 ... damn ...
Nah, not that insane, I'll be lucky to find one at that price here (if I find one even) :(

Why do they keep showing benchmarks on these laptops with 3DMark 11 and even Vantage? Use 3DMark Fire Strike and Time Spy, it's 2016 people!
Because laptops are expensive and most people hold onto them for several years, so having an easily searchable and comparable number helps.

Gigabyte is also refreshing their line of laptops which is expected considering Aorus refresh was already announced

http://www.pcper.com/news/Systems/GIGABYTE-Announces-GeForce-GTX-10-Series-Gaming-Laptops

specs.PNG

http://www.gigabyte.us/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1469

No mention of any G-Sync panels but the P35 is a 15.6" laptop just barely larger than the GS60 [Old version] and has a 1070 in it. Probably runs too hot like that Asus though
Probably, the latest P35X with a 980M even though it had improved thermals, it would still get quite hot (like 58°C on bottom as per the noteookcheck review)

z3phon

Thanks. I'll primarily be using the laptop for working and rendering in maya and other 3d softwares and secondry for gaming. If shipping will cost so much from those websites then I guess it I should keep looking for somewhere in canada to buy from.

Here's the laptop I currently have, I've had this laptop for few years and have been pretty happy with it. So I'd want something like this but up to date.
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/gt70-2od.html#hero-specification

Iceternal

Nah, not that insane, I'll be lucky to find one at that price here (if I find one even) :(

Because laptops are expensive and most people hold onto them for several years, so having an easily searchable and comparable number helps.

IT IS insane ! Average salary is 1400€ in France, how are people supposed to afford something like that ?

Pricing has gone full retard. And we only have MSI and ROG laptops as options here.

derFeef

The MSI homepage could not be more confusing... I will wait for some nice writeups from notebookcheck or other sites, I am confused right now with what will actually be available.

The MSI homepage could not be more confusing... I will wait for some nice writeups from notebookcheck or other sites, I am confused right now with what will actually be available.
Notebookcheck already did a review on the revamp for one of the ones I was looking up. Basically the previous iteration was among the top 10 of their gaming laptops, this current one was still very very solid but a glaring negative is they removed the thunderbolt 3 port but kept it in the more expensive models

derFeef

You are right. The GT series is a bit too bulky for my tastes but the performance.. hmm...
Also I wonder how the 4k display performs with scaling and non-native resolutions. Also 2000€+ .. phew!

But I AM looking for portable gaming and VR... so I guess it's going to be one of those guys.

Kieli

IT IS insane ! Average salary is 1400€ in France, how are people supposed to afford something like that ?

Pricing has gone full retard. And we only have MSI and ROG laptops as options here.

Erm, 1400 euros seems kinda low for one year's work in a G8 country.

derFeef

Yeah.. what to buy... and how long to wait.
This is painful ;)

edit: On a second thought - 1080p is probably fine for 15" - at least for gaming. You can crank up the details and AA then for the leftover power.
Waiting for more options to pop up for sure though.

If I get a native 3k (2880p) screen, will there be substantial image distortion if I play games at 1440p/1080p? Will it be offset by a major performance boost between playing at 3k and playing at 1440?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Well, where I live the average income is about 500 US dollars, and a machine like that would retail far above 3000 dollars. So yeah, not that insane.
Also, if you are in France, you certainly have more options than those two (which is not the case here).

anddo0

Thats pretty cheap ($1,899.00 CDN)! Definitely going to look for a 1060. No reviews yet, but thats pretty light so I am keeping an eye on it.

The 1060 is really cost effective. I wanted to get a 980m for the longest time and then heard new cards were on the way. Well, the 1060 far outpaces that card and in some cases is cheaper than the older 980m models. I'll say it again, 1060, 1070, 1080, no real losers here, something for everyone. If money is an issue, or you're like me, and still have other big purchases ahead (4K TV, Neo, VR etc...) getting a 1060 is perfect, because the models are so thin and cheap, but cut no corners in terms of top tier performance.

edit: if you're looking for reviews, the 1060 is close to 1 to 1 as it gets in terms of it's desktop counterpart. So, watch some desktop 1060 reviews/benchmarks.

The 1060 is really cost effective. I wanted to get a 980m for the longest time and then heard new cards were on the way. Well, the 1060 far outpaces that card and in some cases is cheaper than the older 980m models. I'll say it again, 1060, 1070, 1080, no real losers here, something for everyone. If money is an issue, or you're like me, and still have other big purchases ahead (4K TV, Neo, VR etc...) getting a 1060 is perfect, because the models are so thin and cheap, but cut no corners in terms of top tier performance.

edit: if you're looking for reviews, the 1060 is close to 1 to 1 as it gets in terms of it's desktop counterpart. So, watch some desktop 1060 reviews/benchmarks.

Yea I will be getting a laptop. I am looking for less than 5lbs and a 1060. Reviews are mainly for the laptop heat/size/battery life more so than performance as I expect the 1060 to be the best i can afford.

Sioen

Man I'm really thinking about getting a 1060 vs 1070..
I want to play high end games at 1080p with 60 FPS..
Games like the new battlefield and world of warcraft and the witcher 3..

Man I'm really thinking about getting a 1060 vs 1070..
I want to play high end games at 1080p with 60 FPS..
Games like the new battlefield and world of warcraft and the witcher 3..

Funny, literally as I posted an hour ago I was dead set on getting a machine with a 1070. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's worth looking into something with a 1060. Would be a potential nice $200-$300 savings, would be able to get something more portable as well. My only concern is how long will a 1060 be able to run new AAA games at 1080p with high or better settings vs the 1070? I haven't dabbled in the PC gaming world for all that long so I'm not sure what the answer is.

Top Bottom