• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So k jack, if I return that Alienware, how's this one? I know it's probably a few bucks more than. Amazon, but I want to use the 12 month no interest on this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-...03.p?id=bb5515003&skuId=5515003#bundle-offers

The GS is well reviewed. Having the 1060's power, in something so slim, is really game changing.

The SC17 is going to cost a fortune, isn't it? Maaan.
http://www.evga.com/articles/01044/evga-sc17-1070-laptop/

If only they didn't go with a clickpad.

j-wood

The GS is well reviewed. Having the 1060's power, in something so slim, is really game changing.

If only they didn't go with a clickpad.

So it's well worth it over the Alienware? I will miss the OLED and the small form factor, but I can't deny that power is enticing.

This is just a compliment to my gaming desktop for when I travel or just on the couch, so that's the only reason I'm so conflicted honestly.

Kieli

Not 100% sure but I feel Alienware tends to be more overpriced. Not sure about Razer though.

Having owned MSI before I went with the 14'' 1060 laptop.

Alienware prices at the top-end have been surprisingly reasonable as of late. The markup would be a simple $100 or $200 over equally specced competitors, at least at my local electronic shops. Kudos to them.

K.Jack

So it's well worth it over the Alienware? I will miss the OLED and the small form factor, but I can't deny that power is enticing.

This is just a compliment to my gaming desktop for when I travel or just on the couch, so that's the only reason I'm so conflicted honestly.

How much of a rush are you to get a new machine? Best Buy is sure to have the GS43 imminently, which will be 14" and the same $1,499.99 price as the Alienware 13.

I'd ask BB when they'll have the GS43. then you get your smallish laptop, a real CPU, a Pascal GPU, and the ability to run an external GPUs when you come to that road.

Canceling my Sager order, the g-sync vs 120hz has me questioning this entire thing.

Lol you especially have been waiting for so long, but definitely take your time with this purchase.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So the new 10-series GeForce notebooks are coming sooner than I expected. OriginPC is taking orders now.

This is good for me. I'll wait a month or two and see what's going on.

K.Jack

So the new 10-series GeForce notebooks are coming sooner than I expected. OriginPC is taking orders now.

This is good for me. I'll wait a month or two and see what's going on.

Don't buy from Origin. They rebrand Clevos and bump the prices by insane amounts.

Get a Sager instead.

ss_lemonade

Can it run 1080p 60FPS on Witcher 3 max?

As long as I didn't have an FPS meter on screen, Witcher 3 always felt close to 60 fps to me on my desktop 780 at near max settings (no hairworks though because that setting sucked for kepler apparently). The 970m wasn't too bad using nearly the same settings, hitting 60 too at times. The 780 still commands quite a lead over the 970m and the 1060 blows past my 780 so my non scientific guess would be yes for that (unless hairworks still demolishes framerates on newer GPUs?)

So k jack, if I return that Alienware, how's this one? I know it's probably a few bucks more than. Amazon, but I want to use the 12 month no interest on this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-15-...03.p?id=bb5515003&skuId=5515003#bundle-offers

The GS60 series are great. Really thin and light and this new one apparently improves on those factors. The only bad thing with is the abysmal battery life but this new one is interesting because it also comes with a larger battery now.

Kieli

Damn, all of this is melting my brain. If my budget is 15-1600 for the new laptops, what's my best bet?

Is this the route I should take? Jack, anyone? Thinking of getting the 17inch

1060 with some nice extras or a really barebones 1070.

Edit: Nvm, dammit u guys always get the gud stuff cheap as fuark

K.Jack

RIP, my Canadian, European, and Australian friends. As always you guys get fucked when it comes to tech prices.

How fast is 1060m anyway? Can it run 1080p 60FPS on Witcher 3 max?

It's literally a desktop 1060, so there are lots of reviews out there for its performance.

Damn, all of this is melting my brain. If my budget is 15-1600 for the new laptops, what's my best bet?

Is this the route I should take? Jack, anyone? Thinking of getting the 17inch
No, this GTX 1070 equipped Sager NP8173 is $1649. I'd have to take that if my max budget was $1600.

Only downside is no SSD, but you can easily add one later. Like I say in the OP, always dump your budget into the fastest GPU possible.

It also has $50 off, so the 128GB M.2 SSD upgrade is really only $25.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
1060 with some nice extras or a really barebones 1070.

Edit: Nvm, dammit u guys always get the gud stuff cheap as fuark

So basically that Amazon link I posted then. I have it sitting in my cart ready to go with the 17inch. Looking for confirmation that's a good one though. It's looking like it, but I'ma plebe

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
RIP, my Canadian, European, and Australian friends. As always you guys get fucked when it comes to tech prices.

It's literally a desktop 1060, so there are lots of reviews out there for its performance.

No, this GTX 1070 equipped Sager NP8173 is $1649. I'd have to take that if my max budget was $1600.

Only downside is no SSD, but you can easily add one later. Like I say in the OP, always dump your budget into the fastest GPU possible.

It also has $50 off, so the 128GB M.2 SSD upgrade is really only $25.

I'm not seeing a link!

This it?

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8173.html

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That's the one I ordered and then canceled.
If you don't care about 120 hz gaming, it's a great buy.

I don't even know what that means can you explain? From what Jacks saying at basically 100 dollars more this thing is way more powerful than the one I was looking at. I'm also getting the 25 dollar backup use for Windows 10 and something else I forget now. It's 1699 flat.

Also, can someone tell me what a SSD is good for? I apologize for lack of knowledge.

Clipse

MSI GT72VR Dominator-033 (GTX1060) or MSi GS73VR Stealth Pro-025 (GTX1060)? Both cost the same and I'm not sure if the differences between them make one better than the other.

GT72VR Dominator-033:
Screen - 17.3" FHD, Anti-Glare IPS-Level Wide View Angle
Speaker - Dynaudio Tech Speakers 3W x2 + Subwoofer x1
Optical Drive - DVD Super Multi
HDD - 1TB (7200RPM)

GS73VR Stealth Pro-025:
Screen - 17.3" FHD, Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 120Hz 5ms 94%NTSC
Speaker - Speakers x4 + Subwoofer x1
Optical Drive - None
HDD - 1TB (5400RPM)

Going through the overview pages for each, does this just boil down to G-SYNC vs. a 120Hz screen?

ss_lemonade

But at 128GB is that really doing anything for you let than the main 1-2 games you're playing? I guessing yes since you're talking about it. Just trying to learn.

You normally install your OS plus most used programs on the SSD (I normally install everything non game related on the SSD). It's usually a big difference compared to if you had them installed on a traditional mechanical HDD. Makes everything really zippy when booting up your computer, running applications, just going through your files, etc.

Going through the overview pages for each, does this just boil down to G-SYNC vs. a 120Hz screen?
That and I think the GS lineup have that thin, lightweight form factor bonus (5 lbs vs 8 lbs is quite a difference). I've only had experience with 120hz monitors and I have never been bothered by the things that gsync fixes (tearing and uneven framerates) so I personally would go with that smooth 120hz display.

MSI GT72VR Dominator-033 (GTX1060) or MSi GS73VR Stealth Pro-025 (GTX1060)? Both cost the same and I'm not sure if the differences between them make one better than the other.

GT72VR Dominator-033:
HDD - 1TB (7200RPM)

GS73VR Stealth Pro-025:
Optical Drive - None
HDD - 1TB (5400RPM)

Main difference will be the dominator has the disc drive. If you can pass on that (you can), grab the stealth pro. Get a cheap external USB disc drive if you need to (they're like $20). Should save a fair bit of weight/bulk, but since you're looking at 17 inchers, maybe not that much. More important for the 15" models.

Fjordson

That and I think the GS lineup have that thin, lightweight form factor bonus (5 lbs vs 8 lbs is quite a difference). I've only had experience with 120hz monitors and I have never been bothered by the things that gsync fixes (tearing and uneven framerates) so I personally would go with that smooth 120hz display.
I could be wrong here, but I think the 120Hz screens have G-Sync also, no? The GT73 I'm looking at lists both in the specs.

17.3" FHD (16:9) Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 120Hz 5ms 94% NTSC Screen (1920x1080)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 (8.0GB) GDDR5 (Pascal) w/ Optimus Technology
NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology
PCI-Express™ 16X
Microsoft® DirectX® 11

I'm really dumb when it comes to gaming PC's so I could be way off base.

K.Jack

But at 128GB is that really doing anything for you let than the main 1-2 games you're playing? I guessing yes since you're talking about it. Just trying to learn.

Well yeah, put a few games on the SSD, shuffle them back between the HDD as needed.

I have a 1TB SSD so as to not have to worry about it.

GT72VR Dominator-033:
HDD - 1TB (7200RPM)

GS73VR Stealth Pro-025:
Optical Drive - None
HDD - 1TB (5400RPM)

Typically, the point in taking the heavy ass laptop, is to get the big boy GPU. Going 1060 in the GT72 seems weird to me. It does have an upgradeable GPU slot though, so you're more future proof if future GPUs will fit.

You go GS73 if the fact that it's literally 3 pounds lighter and incredibly thinner matter to you. Do you need a more portable machine? And of course you're stuck with the 1060, for the life of the product.

I could be wrong here, but I think the 120Hz screens have G-Sync also, no? The GT73 I'm looking at lists both in the specs.

Can I get a link to the GT73 you're looking at?

Fjordson

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt73vr-titan-017.html

Could be a listing mistake or something. Though I read in some articles about how the new panels would be G-sync enabled.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3107...d-1060-for-laptops-break-the-mobile-mold.html

Nvidia said the mobile 10-series will power new 120Hz G-sync panels, which are also launching, and enable higher overclocking potential and even better battery life.

ss_lemonade

I don't see 120hz in the official MSI product page for the GT73 (and I don't see gsync for the GS73). Also, I don't think gsync works with optimus so whatever you're looking at must be mixing up spec sheets.

EDIT:
Sorry got confused, I meant the GT72. The GT73 is a different product

Fjordson

Another article mentioning it

Nvidia stuffs desktop GTX 1080, 1070, 1060 into laptops, drops the “M”
In everything from 4K thin-and-lights to huge machines with 120Hz G-Sync screens.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/08/nvidia-pascal-laptop-specs-gtx-1080/

I'll have to double check that Xotic listing though.

Sorry got confused, I meant the GT72. The GT73 is a different product
Ah, that was my bad. I didn't notice the GT72 in your original post lol. So many new machines and specs, I'm getting them a bit jumbled.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well yeah, put a few games on the SSD, shuffle them back between the HDD as needed.

I have a 1TB SSD so as to not have to worry about it.

Typically, the point in taking the heavy ass laptop, is to get the big boy GPU. Going 1060 in the GT72 seems weird to me. It does have an upgradeable GPU slot though, so you're more future proof if future GPUs will fit.

You go GS73 if the fact that it's literally 3 pounds lighter and incredibly thinner matter to you. Do you need a more portable machine? And of course you're stuck with the 1060, for the life of the product.

Of course you do. Lol.

You normally install your OS plus most used programs on the SSD (I normally install everything non game related on the SSD). It's usually a big difference compared to if you had them installed on a traditional mechanical HDD. Makes everything really zippy when booting up your computer, running applications, just going through your files, etc.

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

ss_lemonade

Ah, that was my bad. I didn't notice the GT72 in your original post lol. So many new machines and specs, I'm getting them a bit jumbled.

It is confusing. The MSI product pages for the various GT73 machines also only state 120hz. I don't see gsync listed anywhere unlike the the GT72.

There could be 1 or 2 in there though with gsync. There's like 5 GT73s listed on the MSI site lol

So I just dumped my 4 year old MacBook Pro which means I'll be close to buying some sort of gaming laptop. Looking for something in the 15" range, not super heavy, and want to go 1070 if I can. I found this ASUS ROG for $1700: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1INYD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It seems to tick all of the boxes that I'd be looking for, but I feel like I'm missing something. It almost seems too good to be true. What is fault in that laptop if any, because it really doesn't seem to have an compromises. If that isn't a good option, what would be the recommendation for a 15" with a 1070 that doesn't weigh a ton sort of in that price range?

with this recent laptop buy I realize now I likely don't have to get the PS4 neo, and I can play the xbone games on it too unless they're horribly optimized.

So yeah, might be able to hold on until the next gen with these new console iterations.

anddo0

It is confusing. The MSI product pages for the various GT73 machines also only state 120hz. I don't see gsync listed anywhere unlike the the GT72.

There could be 1 or 2 in there though with gsync. There's like 5 GT73s listed on the MSI site lol

Others have said that all 120hz panels are also G-sync.. No way to find out for sure other than calling.

I've all bout eliminated Sager (sadley). I really want a 120hz panel, and they don't offer anything that's priced reasonably, and similar configurations even cost more than MSI.

I've narrowed it down to the GT73VR TITAN-017. I added a few things that drive the cost to $2243

-256GB Sandisk Z400 M.2 SSD, 128 won't cut it, have one in my Sager and nope.. $79 seems decent for an upgrade.

-IC Diamond Thermal Compound - GPU & CPU.. Could go either way, but I'd rather they do it now.

Second option- kinda leaning this way, price and all.

MSI VR Ready GS73VR Stealth Pro-025 - $1,799.00 (Amazon)
Lower specs yes, but I save almost $450, get deferred payment etc..

I'm coming from a Sager notebook (7970m, -7 3610qb, 16gb).. So, either option would be a decent upgrade.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Now I'm all worried about the bottle necking of the 1070 with the i7 6700HQ. I don't wanna spend 125 more dollars on this laptop to upgrade right now though. How concerned should I be?

K.Jack

Okay so I reached out to some people in the know. I heard 2 things:

1. The MSI GT73 does have 120Hz and G-Sync.
2. The 120Hz panels are still awaiting G-Sync certification, which is why G-Sync isn't officially listed on any websites.

So Xotic PC isn't really supposed to have G-Sync listed under tech specifications, I guess?

Also, NONE of these GT-series MSI laptops have Optimus. 100% true.They have manual switching, just like my the previous generations of the GT72.

So I just dumped my 4 year old MacBook Pro which means I'll be close to buying some sort of gaming laptop. Looking for something in the 15" range, not super heavy, and want to go 1070 if I can. I found this ASUS ROG for $1700: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1INYD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It seems to tick all of the boxes that I'd be looking for, but I feel like I'm missing something. It almost seems too good to be true. What is fault in that laptop if any, because it really doesn't seem to have an compromises. If that isn't a good option, what would be the recommendation for a 15" with a 1070 that doesn't weigh a ton sort of in that price range?

It ran super hot with a GTX 970M, I'm really concerned how they'll cool a 1070 in a chassis which got no thicker. I'm kinda wondering if the 1070 listing is supposed to say 1060.

How would you cool a 125W 1070 in a chassis that never held a GTX 980M?

with this recent laptop buy I realize now I likely don't have to get the PS4 neo, and I can play the xbone games on it too unless they're horribly optimized.

So yeah, might be able to hold on until the next gen with these new console iterations.

Tbh I wouldn't buy a Neo, unless there's a 60fps mandate.

Others have said that all 120hz panels are also G-sync.. No way to find out for sure other than calling.

I've all bout eliminated Sager (sadley). I really want a 120hz panel, and they don't offer anything that's priced reasonably, and similar configurations even cost more than MSI.

I've narrowed it down to the GT73VR TITAN-017. I added a few things that drive the cost to $2243

-256GB Sandisk Z400 M.2 SSD, 128 won't cut it, have one in my Sager and nope.. $79 seems decent for an upgrade.

-IC Diamond Thermal Compound - GPU & CPU.. Could go either way, but I'd rather they do it now.

Second option- kinda leaning this way, price and all.

MSI VR Ready GS73VR Stealth Pro-025 - $1,799.00 (Amazon)
Lower specs yes, but I save almost $450, get deferred payment etc..

I'm coming from a Sager notebook (7970m, -7 3610qb, 16gb).. So, either option would be a decent upgrade.

GS73 makes since if you need more portability, makes little since if the laptop will sit at home

Now I'm all worried about the bottle necking of the 1070 with the i7 6700HQ. I don't wanna spend 125 more dollars on this laptop to upgrade right now though. How concerned should I be?
You shouldn't be concerned, really.

It's not going to bottleneck unless you're trying to push a high Hz screen.You'll be fine with a 60Hz laptop. Just pushing 60fps, you'll be able to jam the settings high enough to keep the GPU well fed.

Plus we have Vulkan and DX12.

Would I go for the HK? Yes. but you aren't fucking up by not doing so.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

2. The 120Hz panels are still awaiting G-Sync certification, which is why G-Sync isn't officially listed on any websites.

So Xotic PC isn't really supposed to have G-Sync listed under tech specifications, I guess?

Also, NONE of these GT-series MSI laptops have Optimus. 100% true.They have manual switching, just like my the previous generations of the GT72.

It ran super hot with a GTX 970M, I'm really concerned how they'll cool a 1070 in a chassis which got no thicker. I'm kinda wondering if the 1070 listing is supposed to say 1060.

GS73 makes since if you need more portability, makes little since if the laptop will sit at home

It's not going to bottleneck unless you're trying to push a high Hz screen.You'll be fine with a 60Hz laptop. Just pushing 60fps, you'll be able to jam the settings high enough to keep the GPU well fed.

Thanks again bud.

According to the link I'll post below, it does indeed have a 1070 and the average temp under load was 39.1 Celsius and the max temp under load was 48 Celsius. It seems about in line temp wise as the MSI GT62VR.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-GL502VS-Notebook-Preview.171567.0.html

Edit: In fairness I haven't ever owned a capable gaming laptop, just built gaming laptops so I don't really know how uncomfortable those temps would be resting on a lap.

Edit 2: Unless someone has better options, it's between that ASUS and this MSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4PA5CE/?tag=neogaf0e-20 With the ASUS I'd be losing the Steelseries keyboard, but gaining a larger SSD, saving $100, and also saving over a pound of weight.

Fox318

Any news of MSI has driver comparability with the razer core or if they have an external card solution?

Why the hell at Aorus isn't including a thunderbolt 3 input on their machines?

I can't wait to see how Witcher 3 performs on some of these systems.

K.Jack

According to the link I'll post below, it does indeed have a 1070 and the average temp under load was 39.1 Celsius and the max temp under load was 48 Celsius. It seems about in line temp wise as the MSI GT62VR.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-GL502VS-Notebook-Preview.171567.0.html

Edit: In fairness I haven't ever owned a capable gaming laptop, just built gaming laptops so I don't really know how uncomfortable those temps would be resting on a lap.

Edit 2: Unless someone has better options, it's between that ASUS and this MSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4PA5CE/?tag=neogaf0e-20 With the ASUS I'd be losing the Steelseries keyboard, but gaining a larger SSD, saving $100, and also saving over a pound of weight.
I'm glad you showed me this. Now I know to not recommend it to people.

Dude 46C on the center of the keyboard is FUCKING HOT!!! You can't keep your fingers on it while gaming.

Go with the MSI, or just something else.

Any news of MSI has driver comparability with the razer core or if they have an external card solution?

Why the hell at Aorus isn't including a thunderbolt 3 input on their machines?

I can't wait to see how Witcher 3 performs on some of these systems.

It takes a special driver to connect an enclosure?

Fox318

Dude 46C on the center of the keyboard is FUCKING HOT!!! You can't keep your fingers on it while gaming.

From the reports I've seen not every thrunderbolt 3 laptop has played nice with the Razer Core.

I'm really tempted on picking up a gs73 or Aorus machine.

K.Jack

Yo what the fuck

I didn't see this MSI before I got mine lmao

14'' MSI for 1500 sporting 1060
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IO9Y30G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

17'' MSI for 1600 sporting 1060
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J4PA5CE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Only difference seems to be the screen size is bigger in the latter, but more memory in the former.

What do I choose shit. Both have thunderbolt 3 too

Your second link is the $1799 15.6" GT62. Is that the correct one we're decided between or no?

From the reports I've seen not every thrunderbolt 3 laptop has played nice with the Razer Core.

I'm really tempted on picking up a gs73 or Aorus machine.

Aorus machines run hot. I'd go GS73 tbh.

Your second link is the $1799 15.6" GT62. Is that the correct one we're decided between or no?

if you click on the top left option it has a $1600 1060 version. Bigger screen than my first option, but 4 GB less of RAM.

I guess one is the ultra portable 14'' gaming laptop, the other is the bigger screen one?

Thanks, glad you steered me away from that ASUS machine. Unless I find something "better" in the next few days, the 15.6" MSI GT62 Dominator is the way I'm leaning.

Fox318

That's what I'm leaning towards as I already have an msi machine and it's been good to me but I'm a little worried about the build quality of the GS73.

Honestly it seems that by paying a 100 dollar premium I can go to a bigger screen, bigger keyboard with number pad, backlit keyboard, and can possibly avoid issues of ultra portable laptops of heating.

I might talk with Amazon to upgrade.

edit: not seeing the thunderbolt 3 port in the GT72?

edit 2: The quest for more money: Seems like the GT72 removed thunderbolt 3. And if I ever want to get an egpu, I want to have it. GS43VR has it so I guess I'll stick with that.

Top Bottom