• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Sioen

Funny, literally as I posted an hour ago I was dead set on getting a machine with a 1070. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's worth looking into something with a 1060. Would be a potential nice $200-$300 savings, would be able to get something more portable as well. My only concern is how long will a 1060 be able to run new AAA games at 1080p with high or better settings vs the 1070? I haven't dabbled in the PC gaming world for all that long so I'm not sure what the answer is.

That's my problem aswel with the 1060. It's good now, but I do wonder how it'll be next year.

ss_lemonade

Man I'm really thinking about getting a 1060 vs 1070..
I want to play high end games at 1080p with 60 FPS..
Games like the new battlefield and world of warcraft and the witcher 3..

With those games, the 1060 should be capable of doing that. Can't say much about future games but the 1060 is already quite a beast for something found in a laptop so I think one would be fine with it.

1060 should have legs, pc requirements shouldn't go up until mid 2018 or so. If the Scorpio is anything to judge by. The 1060 will have a pretty decent shelf life.

Asus has a decently priced 1070 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1INYD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I wonder what the cooling is like on that model.

G-Sync panel is nice. and it's not too big...
Maybe I should go 1070 rather than 1060.

If the 1060 has say legs until at least the middle of 2018, what do you think the 1070 would have?

That was one of the first machines that I was looking at. I posted in here about it and posted a review of it and apparently the cooling is really bad. Like the center of the keyboard gets close to 120 degrees F.

D23

Where do you guys normally use your gaming laptop at ?

Im thinking of getting it but i mostly going to use it in my lap while in bed..

While I don't own one yet, I'd say most of the use will be at home if/when I do get one. My girlfriend is moving a few hours away for a job though so it would be nice to have something to travel with.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Thinking about it, I mainly use my laptop with external monitor and keyboard so I guess a good panel isn't a priority with me.

Sini

As desktop replacement, never play any intensive games while unplugged.

Thinking about it, I mainly use my laptop with external monitor and keyboard so I guess a good panel isn't a priority with me.

Yeah, pretty much same here, I would be happy with cheaper 60Hz 1080p quality IPS panel.

Funny, literally as I posted an hour ago I was dead set on getting a machine with a 1070. Now I'm starting to wonder if it's worth looking into something with a 1060. Would be a potential nice $200-$300 savings, would be able to get something more portable as well. My only concern is how long will a 1060 be able to run new AAA games at 1080p with high or better settings vs the 1070? I haven't dabbled in the PC gaming world for all that long so I'm not sure what the answer is.
That was my concern. But just consider a 1060 should still last a while in high. Even if not in the near future maybe egpus are a thing and you can simply connect your strongest gpu to play the latest and greatest games on a desk.

That was my concern. But just consider a 1060 should still last a while in high. Even if not in the near future maybe egpus are a thing and you can simply connect your strongest gpu to play the latest and greatest games on a desk.

Just make sure you get a thunderbolt 3 enabled laptop if you possibly want a egpu in the future

Just make sure you get a thunderbolt 3 enabled laptop if you possibly want a egpu in the future

oh yeah forgot to mention that haha. I stuck with my msi choice vs the other 1060 one because one has thunderbolt 3, the other doesn't. The latter had the MXM gpus I guess, but that just seems more complicated than i wanted.

anddo0

I use a Dave, from Ikea

If the 1060 has say legs until at least the middle of 2018, what do you think the 1070 would have?

That was one of the first machines that I was looking at. I posted in here about it and posted a review of it and apparently the cooling is really bad. Like the center of the keyboard gets close to 120 degrees F.

Both the 1060 and 1070 should remain viable well into the next console refresh. The Scoperio has the potential to be slightly better than the 1060. The 1070 is more future proff for sure.

is the 1060m stronger than a 980?

On par if not better in most test. It's faster for sure, which is crazy if you think about it.

ss_lemonade

On a desk by itself or hooked up to an external display. I don't know how well other gaming laptops do but trying to game on something like the MSI GS laptops on your lap will sear your legs in a few minutes (well maybe not, but the bottom does become way too hot to touch).

zsswimmer

On a desk by itself or hooked up to an external display. I don't know how well other gaming laptops do but trying to game on something like the MSI GS laptops on your lap will sear your legs in a few minutes (well maybe not, but the bottom does become way too hot to touch).
If I use the fan the whole time gaming on my gt msi it's not bad. But yeah I forget to use t from the get go on a gpu intensive game it gets real hot

I use a Dave, from Ikea

Both the 1060 and 1070 should remain viable well into the next console refresh. The Scoperio has the potential to be slightly better than the 1060. The 1070 is more future proff for sure.

On par if not better in most test. It's faster for sure, which is crazy if you think about it.

Thanks. That $1499 MSI 14" with TB3 and the 1060 is looking more tempting every moment.

Same here. Never bought MSI laptop before though.
I'm waiting for details on the Razer Blade with 1060 though.

As someone who went with that laptop preorder, and has owned MSI, it seems like a great option on the relatively cheap end that you can also future proof by getting egpus in the future.

edit: on a separate topic seems like Amazon still doesn't have shipping estimates for the above discussed laptop, at least if bought via amazon. They seem to have shipping estimates for some of the other ones, saying they should ship at some point next week which seems fairly fast if they're able to ship machines a week after announcing and initial preorders.

Been out of the loop these past couple days. Someone care to catch me up a bit? I currently have an asus g751j with 970m which I plan on selling. How do the new cards fair against my 970m? What's the "cool" model everyone is looking to get lol. I'm an ASUS fan but MSI is pretty cool to. Looking to spend around ~$1500. Recommendations?

Been out of the loop these past couple days. Someone care to catch me up a bit? I currently have an asus g751j with 970m which I plan on selling. How do the new cards fair against my 970m? What's the "cool" model everyone is looking to get lol. I'm an ASUS fan but MSI is pretty cool to. Looking to spend around ~$1500. Recommendations?

For 1500 you could go with a 1060 laptop from msi.

The 1060 is a replacement for the 980, I think even slightly better. Your options with MSI at least are either a 14'' laptop without MXM but with Thunderbolt 3, or a $1600 17 inch one without thunderbolt 3 but with MXM gpus.

So up to you what version of 'future proofing' you want to go with.

For 1500 you could go with a 1060 laptop from msi.

The 1060 is a replacement for the 980, I think even slightly better. Your options with MSI at least are either a 14'' laptop without MXM but with Thunderbolt 3, or a $1600 17 inch one without thunderbolt 3 but with MXM gpus.

So up to you what version of 'future proofing' you want to go with.

I was actually just looking at the 14" So they are already available it seems? So tempted right now lol. What about ASUS I see there is a 1070 model available on amazon but I don't want to pay that much. Looks like I'm after the G752VM which doesn't seem available just yet.

For Asus you might have to wait I think they haven't really revealed most of theirs as far as I know.

Personally after going from Asus to MSI I can't really go back. Their pricing isn't too different but I actually feel MSI is the better value, it's up to the consumer though.

For Asus you might have to wait I think they haven't really revealed most of theirs as far as I know.

Personally after going from Asus to MSI I can't really go back. Their pricing isn't too different but I actually feel MSI is the better value, it's up to the consumer though.

I've never owned an MSI but I was always jealous of that steelseries keyboard lol. How is the cooling compared to ASUS ROG line?

Kieli

Gaming laptops can get pretty hot. If you block airflow with your sheets, you're just reducing its lifespan. The other problems it that you're going to torch your nether regions.

Kieli

I've never owned an MSI but I was always jealous of that steelseries keyboard lol. How is the cooling compared to ASUS ROG line?

My friend owns an Asus ROG, and the screen is a really colorful IPS panel. But the keyboard is really mushy (not mechanical, but not chiclet either), and the sound really leaves something to be desired. My pair of $30 headphones sound better...

RE cooling: the machine is surprisingly quiet even when gaming on something intensive like Witcher 3 in the summer. Of course, his machine is new, so I'm not sure if that'll last.

My PS4 was originally quiet, but now it sounds like a hypersonic orbital drop ship.

Sioen

Alright decided to get the 2400€ 1070 model.
I feel kinda terrible spending so much money on a laptop so I hope it'll be worth it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ok, I'm on the verge of picking this Aorus up, so shoot me straight, is it worth 2700?

15.6" WQHD+ 3K Matte Screen w/ G-Sync

Intel® Skylake i7-6820HK

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 [8GB] VR Ready

Up to 64GB RAM

256GB M.2 NVMe + 1TB HDD

TBA Hours / 5.50lbs

3D Score: 34,535 [Vantage]

With 32gb of RAM 2800mhz, 256 ssd

Creeping close to the cost of a 1080 machine.

The 3K is nice.
1060 should have legs, pc requirements shouldn't go up until mid 2018 or so. If the Scorpio is anything to judge by. The 1060 will have a pretty decent shelf life.

Asus has a decently priced 1070 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1INYD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I wonder what the cooling is like on that model.

Check the Notebookcheck review for that model, it shows the hottest part of the keyboard get over 46C.

asus_heat.png~original

Good luck.

Any reviews for that 14" MSI with 1060. Really leaning towards that one unless someone can convince me otherwise for something around that price point lol.

Magnus

Gonna try the standard post format in the hopes I can get your feedback guys:

I need a gaming laptop:

Country where it will be purchased: Canada
Maximum budget $1300 CDN (pre-tax)
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight) 14-16"
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all). Overwatch, Diablo III: RoS, World of Warcraft: Legion (specs are way higher than the game used to be) - I'm mostly a Blizzard gamer. It'll be great to play other things too, but I figure if it can handle those games on High - Ultra, it'll handle the other games I typically like to play.
Ideally you'll point out what resolution and settings are your standard, based off of what I've laid out in the OP. High to Ultra, 1920x1080 is fine
Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc. A great screen, solid battery life compared to the competition, and ideally low-medium fan noise after 1-2 hours of play
Note: If you're from outside of North America, please provide links to a few of your countries laptop retailers.

For context, I just picked up this laptop from Best Buy:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=b27b1f5dfaf186d13ede05093e7d95f0en02

I have 14 days to play around with it and can nab a full refund if I'm not satisfied. I mainly bought it to get a feel for a modern gaming laptop, see what I like, what I don't like, etc. Other than the enter button being so small that I keep hitting the key beside it instead, I'm in love with the thing, except for two issues:
- Price (for what it is, I would have been much more satisfied paying $999 instead of $1199)
- No SSD (I can sub one in, but a lot of laptop combos out there seem to have a highly desirable 1TB HD + 128/256 SSD combo. I actually have the SSD to put in, but this laptop doesn't have the extra drive slot, afaik)

It handles WoW: Legion and Overwatch really well, so I'm happy there. It'd be great to rock them at their absolute highest settings at 60fps, but alas, I'll take High-Ultra and be happy.

I'm basically looking for a better deal than what I got. I think I can get something equivalent for $200-300 less, or get something much better for the price I paid. Love your thoughts.

Do I need more than a m.2 256gb pcie and 1TB 7200 storage?

Guess it just depends on how many games you plan on installing at once. In my gaming desktop I built last year I only put a 1TB 7200 HDD in it, I have something like 25-30 games installed most of which are AAA titles like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, and I still have like 300gb free on the drive.

Guess it just depends on how many games you plan on installing at once. In my gaming desktop I built last year I only put a 1TB 7200 HDD in it, I have something like 25-30 games installed most of which are AAA titles like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, and I still have like 300gb free on the drive.
Do you have an SSD as well? I'm wondering if it'll be enough

Is Amazon selling the MSI configuration from Best Buy's website for $1549? I can't find it on Amazon and the cheapest 15.6" model they have is the one with a 512gb SSD for $1699.

I searched earlier and Best Buy was the only place that I could find it for sale. It is definitely a machine I'm adding to the list of possible purchases for myself. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't seem to be a GSYNC monitor, unless I missed it in the specs.

Top Bottom