• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

shockdude

I've been in and out of the hospital and it's getting frustrating so I've been thinking of getting maybe a laptop to use there. Mainly for gaming. Then for college. But I'm not good with specs.

I have some links to ones that I found on Groupon but I was wondering which of these would be the best for what I want. I mostly want one that can play Skyrim Special Edition with mods but that can also play StarCraft Remastered and Age of Mythology.

They are refurbished which I'm not used to doing but money is tighter than usual.

Intel i5
HP Elitebook 840 G1
HP Probook
HP Intel i3
Acer i7

I know I'm not gonna get Battlefield 1 graphics but it'd be nice to get something.
Oof, sorry to hear that.
Most of the laptops you linked have old, weak integrated graphics. However, the Acer i7 is impressively modern and is easily the best buy of the bunch. This Youtube playlist can give you an idea of what graphics to expect.

To be brief about my hate for Windows 10, I dislike its awful GUI, the way updates are forced upon users, and how Microsoft essentially tricked a lot of people into upgrading from 7 to it.

On a side note, coincidentally, Linus Tech Tips has just uploaded a 'Five Years of Gaming Laptops' video that features the MSI GL62 6QC (from 2016) which supports Windows 7. Looking on eBay, it can sell within my price range if I'm lucky to catch one.
Good luck with the laptop search. The biggest Windows 7 compatibility issue to be aware of is NVMe SSDs.
And remember that your Windows 7 key will also activate Windows 10, if you ever change your mind.

Oof, sorry to hear that.
Most of the laptops you linked have old, weak integrated graphics. However, the Acer i7 is impressively modern and is easily the best buy of the bunch. This Youtube playlist can give you an idea of what graphics to expect.
Thank you for the response! They are all gone now though unfortunately minus the Acer i7 one.

I was checking through my local ads and I found two other laptops that I was looking at.

One has these specs:

It's an Asus laptop but I don't know which model exactly. Going for 500 dollars.
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
Storage: 240 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
Video: nVidia Geforce GTX 965M
Screen: 15.6' 1920 X 1080
Ports: HDMI, 2 X USB 3.0, USB Type C, 1 X USB 2.0

The other is this one:
Its a Lenovo Y50-70 4k. Going for 650 dollars.
16GB Memory
256 GB SSD - FAST Load & Boot time
Nvidia GTX 960M - 4GB VRAM
high-res UHD display - 3840 pixels × 2160 (4K)
Intel Core i7 CPU

I'm not sure if the Lenovo is still available but I don't really stress the 4K so if it's gone then I'm okay. I think both are Windows 10. But which one would be best overall. Especially for Skyrim SE with mods, StarCraft Remastered, and Age of Empires Definitive Edition?

Or should I stick with the Acer i7 which is 500 dollars and buy that one? All three are used but the Acer is refurbished.

EDIT: Here are the specs for the Acer i7:
7th Generation Intel Core i7-7500U Processor 2.7GHz
Windows 10 Home
15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display
12GB DDR4 Dual Channel Memory
Intel HD Graphics 620
1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
HD webcam (1280 x 720)
802.11ac WiFi
Acer TrueHarmony High-Performance Sound System
Two Built-in Stereo Speakers
Built-in Digital Microphone
1 - USB 3.0 Port
2 - USB 2.0 ports
1 - HDMI port with HDCP support
Precision Touchpad (supporting Windows Modern Touchpad gestures)
4-cell Li-Ion (3220 mAh) Battery, with up to 9-hour battery life
Manufacturer Refurbished
Model: SP315-51-757C
Part Number: NX.GK9AA.021

shockdude

Thank you for the response! They are all gone now though unfortunately minus the Acer i7 one.

I was checking through my local ads and I found two other laptops that I was looking at.

One has these specs:

It's an Asus laptop but I don't know which model exactly. Going for 500 dollars.
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
Storage: 240 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
Video: nVidia Geforce GTX 965M
Screen: 15.6' 1920 X 1080
Ports: HDMI, 2 X USB 3.0, USB Type C, 1 X USB 2.0
What. Those specs are absurd for $500. The GTX 960M is about on par with a base PS4 and the GTX 965M is slightly better. Buy before it's gone.

What. Those specs are absurd for $500. The GTX 960M is about on par with a base PS4 and the GTX 965M is slightly better. Buy before it's gone.

Depends on how much you value the ability to play games at high settings or above and 1080p60fps (because you're not going to be doing that for very much longer with that configuration--not that it's a bad thing for the price, if you're willing to go in with realistic expectations).

The 960 is somewhere between an Xbox One and PS4 in practice with the 965M maybe being ever so slightly better than a PS4 (but not really once you factor in optimization).

Of course, the bigger than average SSD is nice and so is the 16GB of RAM but those are luxuries that don't really go that far in terms of gaming performance (how often are you going to be bottlenecked by 8GB of RAM with a card that's not outdoing base consoles?)

Depends on how much you value the ability to play games at high settings or above and 1080p60fps (because you're not going to be doing that for very much longer with that configuration--not that it's a bad thing for the price, if you're willing to go in with realistic expectations).

The 960 is somewhere between an Xbox One and PS4 in practice with the 965M maybe being ever so slightly better than a PS4 (but not really once you factor in optimization).

Of course, the bigger than average SSD is nice and so is the 16GB of RAM but those are luxuries that don't really go that far in terms of gaming performance (how often are you going to be bottlenecked by 8GB of RAM with a card that's not outdoing base consoles?)
So which one do you think I should go with? The Asus or the Acer? The Lenovo one hasn't responded so I'm guessing he sold it already. I don't have much money and they both cost the exact same price but which one will be good in the longish run. I mainly want to play games in the best settings I can do with my specs (plus mods) but also one that won't break after a month or two.

Also for college.

shockdude

So which one do you think I should go with? The Asus or the Acer? The Lenovo one hasn't responded so I'm guessing he sold it already. I don't have much money and they both cost the exact same price but which one will be good in the longish run. I mainly want to play games in the best settings I can do with my specs (plus mods) but also one that won't break after a month or two.

Also for college.
The Asus with the GTX965M.
Acer i7 laptop doesn't even have a graphics card and is no contest against the Asus. Better graphics = better longetivity, and unless you find a better GPU for not much more (GTX 970M or higher, GTX 1060 or higher) you should stick with the GTX965M

The main drawbacks to the Asus are probably portability and battery life.

The Asus with the GTX965M.
Acer i7 laptop doesn't even have a graphics card and is no contest against the Asus. Better graphics = better longetivity, and unless you find a better GPU for not much more (GTX 970M or higher, GTX 1060 or higher) you should stick with the GTX965M

The main drawbacks to the Asus are probably portability and battery life.
Okay I'll give the guy a call and see if the still has it! Thanks! It's too bad you can't upgrade the GPU on laptops.

I bought the used laptop! It looks great! No damage as far as I know.

What do I do now? I assume I don't just rename the user to me. There's more right?

All I got was the laptop and charger.

shockdude

I bought the used laptop! It looks great! No damage as far as I know.

What do I do now? I assume I don't just rename the user to me. There's more right?

All I got was the laptop and charger.
Niice.
I'm not able to make a full reply now but yeah best course of action is to reset the system.
Note that resetting and reupdating will probably take hours, but it's worth doing now than later.

shockdude

Now to figure out how to do that without the disc haha!
You don't need a disc to reset Windows 10 laptops, you either do the Windows 10 reset in the settings (fresh Windows 10, no OEM software I think) or restore from the recovery partition (total factory reset, with original drivers and OEM software/bloatware).
On mobile so can't really give more details, sorry. Maybe someone else in the thread can chip in?

You don't need a disc to reset Windows 10 laptops, you either do the Windows 10 reset in the settings (fresh Windows 10, no OEM software I think) or restore from the recovery partition (total factory reset, with original drivers and OEM software/bloatware).
On mobile so can't really give more details, sorry. Maybe someone else in the thread can chip in?
Which one is best to do?

Estellex

Is it still a good time to buy this laptop?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...lid-state-drive-black/5872507.p?skuId=5872507

There is a student discount so I was thinking of taking advantage of that.

I am going away for college soon and I will be away from my desktop. I need a laptop where I can continue gaming and I was wondering if that would be a good deal. I understand that Gaming Desktops are a lot better but mobility is a huge issue for be.

That's why I am looking into a gaming laptop. I will moving away to a dorm soon and that's why I am Eyeing this laptop.

How long can a gtx 1050ti last for 1080p gaming?

I am just looking for a laptop that can play games like Overwatch, WoW, and the upcoming Destiny 2 in 1080p.

My laptop came with a green stuck pixel.....I loathe dead and stuck pixels with a passionl

Also the disc drives makes some really crazy noises and won't open unless I use the old paper clip trick. Time to replace that drive.

Sigh...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Is it still a good time to buy this laptop?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...lid-state-drive-black/5872507.p?skuId=5872507

There is a student discount so I was thinking of taking advantage of that.

I am going away for college soon and I will be away from my desktop. I need a laptop where I can continue gaming and I was wondering if that would be a good deal. I understand that Gaming Desktops are a lot better but mobility is a huge issue for be.

That's why I am looking into a gaming laptop. I will moving away to a dorm soon and that's why I am Eyeing this laptop.

How long can a gtx 1050ti last for 1080p gaming?

I am just looking for a laptop that can play games like Overwatch, WoW, and the upcoming Destiny 2 in 1080p.
What GPU do you have in your desktop?

That is the best laptop at $899, yes. The 1050 Ti has a few years in it at 1080p, especially if you're okay with sacrificing fidelity.

Another option, for another $150, you could get this MSI GP62 with GTX 1060 3GB. I think the much faster GPU is worth the expense. Check out this video to see the difference.

Estellex

What GPU do you have in your desktop?

That is the best laptop at $899, yes. The 1050 Ti has a few years in it at 1080p, especially if you're okay with sacrificing fidelity.

Another option, for another $150, you could get this MSI GP62 with GTX 1060 3GB. I think the much faster GPU is worth the expense. Check out this video to see the difference.

My GPU on my desktop is a GTX 1060. It is at $899 but there is a $100 off student discount which would make it to $800.

That or should I wait till it goes on sale on black friday.

shockdude

My laptop came with a green stuck pixel.....I loathe dead and stuck pixels with a passionl

Also the disc drives makes some really crazy noises and won't open unless I use the old paper clip trick. Time to replace that drive.

Sigh...
ohh noo.
Is the pixel in the middle or at the edge? Try some stuck pixel remedies on youtube.
Good luck with the disc drive as well. Remember that USB disc drives or even no disc drive are always an option.

ohh noo.
Is the pixel in the middle or at the edge? Try some stuck pixel remedies on youtube.
Good luck with the disc drive as well. Remember that USB disc drives or even no disc drive are always an option.
The guy that sold me the laptop offered to fix the disc drive which is really nice.

The stuck pixel is more to the middle but not exactly of the screen and it's a small green one but I'm not sure what's the best remedy to help with it cause I just want it gone. I've heard of the one where you show lots of flashing pixels on it which apparently can cause seizures but I don't mind and the guy said to try recalibrating the screen but I have no idea what that is.

K.Jack

My GPU on my desktop is a GTX 1060. It is at $899 but there is a $100 off student discount which would make it to $800.

That or should I wait till it goes on sale on black friday.

Well you're not going to beat that at $800, probably not even during Black Friday sales.

Tripon

Ah I see. THank you

You mentioned Dave Lee like he is some sort of known public figure. Who is he and why does his opinion matter? (Not asking out of disdain. Asking why his reviews hold weight?)

Dave 2D is one of the few reviewers that focus mostly on laptops. He's also a straight shooter.

Estellex

Ah thanks people.

I am just looking for a laptop that can play ps1,ps2, dolphin, Overwatch, LOL, Destiny 2, D3 and such.

You think the 7567 can last for a while? It is as powerful as a ps4 pro right?

K.Jack

You already have a GTX 1060, yeah? The math of what the 1050 Ti can do for you is pretty straightforward. The link I gave with 1050 Ti vs 1060 3GB says it all.

Estellex

I think this might be my next laptop after it gets the 8th gen chips if Asus doesn't come out with a nice machine in the same price range soonish.

Ah so you are waiting till next year to get a gaming laptop? Do you have a gaming laptop right now that you are using?

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I currently have a MSi GT62VR with a 1070. I now need something more portable (actually I should say something with much better battery life) as I am going back to school to finish a 2nd degree. I'm currently getting a B.S. in Information Technology so for now there would only light programming, paper writing, note taking, etc. But that could end up changing to Computer Science in a semester which would obviously involve a lot heavier programming. I could always go the route of buying something on the cheap side that is thin, light, and gets good battery life. However I was thinking of possibly replacing and selling off my MSi, because I like the thought of just having one laptop with everything I use on it instead of having one school laptop and one I'd use for gaming and taking on the road for gaming.. My reluctance in that though is that I basically have to downgrade for a 1070 to a 1060 if I decide to go that route. I have a few questions to help me make an informed decision.

Anyone else in similar shoes I am in, and if so did you just decide to buy something super portable and cheap to compliment your gaming laptop? If I decided to sell off my current MSi, what could I expect to get for it (6700HQ, 1070, 16gb RAM, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, 1080p 60hz G-Sync)? The two models that I would consider buying are the Gigabyte Aero 15 (or maybe the 14 to save a little money) or the newest model Razer Blade. Both seem well built, thin enough, not too heavy, and have good battery life. Anything else I should be considering?

Estellex

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I currently have a MSi GT62VR with a 1070. I now need something more portable (actually I should say something with much better battery life) as I am going back to school to finish a 2nd degree. I'm currently getting a B.S. in Information Technology so for now there would only light programming, paper writing, note taking, etc. But that could end up changing to Computer Science in a semester which would obviously involve a lot heavier programming. I could always go the route of buying something on the cheap side that is thin, light, and gets good battery life. However I was thinking of possibly replacing and selling off my MSi, because I like the thought of just having one laptop with everything I use on it instead of having one school laptop and one I'd use for gaming and taking on the road for gaming.. My reluctance in that though is that I basically have to downgrade for a 1070 to a 1060 if I decide to go that route. I have a few questions to help me make an informed decision.

Anyone else in similar shoes I am in, and if so did you just decide to buy something super portable and cheap to compliment your gaming laptop? If I decided to sell off my current MSi, what could I expect to get for it (6700HQ, 1070, 16gb RAM, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, 1080p 60hz G-Sync)? The two models that I would consider buying are the Gigabyte Aero 15 (or maybe the 14 to save a little money) or the newest model Razer Blade. Both seem well built, thin enough, not too heavy, and have good battery life. Anything else I should be considering?

There isn't a good selection of portable gaming laptops. I tried out the razor blade laptop in best buy and it was pretty portable. HOwever it is really expensive.

Unless you want to shell out.

Chris R

Ah so you are waiting till next year to get a gaming laptop? Do you have a gaming laptop right now that you are using?

I have a gaming desktop and an "ultrabook" from a few years ago. It's a great laptop for basically everything but gaming, just doesn't have the horsepower to run much of anything.

I don't really need a laptop for my schoolwork but if I do decide to start bringing one I will get a cheaper (and smaller) one instead of using my gaming one.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Dell announced the Inspiron 7577, and if it's cheap enough it'll be the laptop to beat on "bang for your buck" category.

Basically they added a Thunderbolt 3 port, a fingerprint reader, and 1060MQ to the 7567

coughlanio

Is anyone considering an 8th Generation U Quad with an eGPU? I'd love something thin and light on the go, but the ability to power a 1070 when I get home.

Fox318

What are uses for Thunderbolt ports other than an external GPU?

Also, I'm guessing the 1060MQ version is going to be total destruction price-wise.

Hard drives
Docking stations
Fast transfer speeds between
4k display port
Easy file transfer between computers

Plum

Dell announced the Inspiron 7577, and if it's cheap enough it'll be the laptop to beat on "bang for your buck" category.

Basically they added a Thunderbolt 3 port, a fingerprint reader, and 1060MQ to the 7567

They made the battery smaller too

tenor.gif

Estellex

The Dell Inspirion 7577 seems good at first but I don't think I will regret buying the 7567 over that.

-Significant downgrade of the battery compared to the 7567
- The gtx 1060 version starting weight amounts to 6.28 pounds

Yea I think I will just get the 7567.

I youtube some video of it and in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-YuirPovXc

The guy said the chassis is meant to take some punishment. Is it pretty much the same quality chassis from the 7567 or did they put in a harder one for the 7577?

Top Bottom