• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Mrbob

So does this mean the Dell Inspiron notebooks are moving from H series mobile cpu to U series? Maybe that is why the battery is smaller. 45W to 15W CPU. Still seems like a downgrade but I could be wrong.

Edit:. Nevermind seems like the 7577 is keeping the 7700hq CPU. Interesting move to make the battery smaller, one I don't like either.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
If I want something with more than 1080p, and more than 60hz, what should I be looking at? 1440p 120hz? With a GTX 1070/1080? Or should I wait for the next generation of GPUs? Any recommendation?

ImboSlice

Hi guys,

gamer looking for a laptop here to replace my old desktop PC.

My profile:
- More of a console gamer for the new stuff
- Mainly Indies and Dota 2 on PC
- Yet greedy for performance...
- Budget up to 2000€

Needs and wants:
- Thin > bulky
- Good display
- Fast and future proof
- Good build quality

For now I'm eying a Dell XPS15 (the fastest FHD configuration) or an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro BE (UHD). For now I'm leaning towards the XPS15, as I'm not sure just how useful a UHD display on a laptop would be.

1. Are there any other models I should take a serious look at?
2. Is the UHD display on the Acer worth it outside of gaming?
3. Which one would you pick?

Thanks in advance!

Lesath

If the laptop I order comes with only 8gb of DDR4 RAM, can a buy another stick with a similar configuration (+8gb) to upgrade or is it better to buy a set and replace the manufacturer setup entirely (2x 8gb sticks)?

And, K. Jack, thanks for the the previous reply!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If I want something with more than 1080p, and more than 60hz, what should I be looking at? 1440p 120hz? With a GTX 1070/1080? Or should I wait for the next generation of GPUs? Any recommendation?

1440p/120Hz is the only option that's above both 1080p and 60Hz.

You most certainly need a GTX 1080 to actually push that.

Hi guys,

gamer looking for a laptop here to replace my old desktop PC.

My profile:
- More of a console gamer for the new stuff
- Mainly Indies and Dota 2 on PC
- Yet greedy for performance...
- Budget up to 2000€

Needs and wants:
- Thin > bulky
- Good display
- Fast and future proof
- Good build quality

For now I'm eying a Dell XPS15 (the fastest FHD configuration) or an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro BE (UHD). For now I'm leaning towards the XPS15, as I'm not sure just how useful a UHD display on a laptop would be.

1. Are there any other models I should take a serious look at?
2. Is the UHD display on the Acer worth it outside of gaming?
3. Which one would you pick?

Thanks in advance!

Razer Blade?

If the laptop I order comes with only 8gb of DDR4 RAM, can a buy another stick with a similar configuration (+8gb) to upgrade or is it better to buy a set and replace the manufacturer setup entirely (2x 8gb sticks)?

And, K. Jack, thanks for the the previous reply!

Buy the cheapest 8GB stick that runs at the same speed as what you have.

Never jump down the RAM rabbit hole.

k1t4j

Hey guys, I know this thread is for gaming laptops but can you guys open an exception and help me out here with a more casual recommendation?

I use apple products and my dad wants a laptop to work, I'm so out of the pc world that I don't know what to recommend

Let me tell you what he's looking for:

- For his work (Heavy excel and Word processing, that kind of stuff)
- Light & not too big (so he can carry it around)
- Fast
- Nothing too fancy
- Windows Os (I don't want to recommend a mac that he has to get used to)
- 1000euros max

Any ideas?

Tizoc

I've been trying to find laptops that have NVidia MX150 in them but most laptops I find in my search show a GTX 940M or a 1050.

hOW CAn I identify if a latop is using MX150?

LordPhantX

Neo Member
I've been trying to find laptops that have NVidia MX150 in them but most laptops I find in my search show a GTX 940M or a 1050.

There is a list in Notebookcheck site for MX150 laptops I can't put links on ps4.

Search MX150 then click on MX150 benchmark go to the bottom of the page you'll find it.

K.Jack

Hey guys, I know this thread is for gaming laptops but can you guys open an exception and help me out here with a more casual recommendation?

I use apple products and my dad wants a laptop to work, I'm so out of the pc world that I don't know what to recommend

Let me tell you what he's looking for:

- For his work (Heavy excel and Word processing, that kind of stuff)
- Light & not too big (so he can carry it around)
- Fast
- Nothing too fancy
- Windows Os (I don't want to recommend a mac that he has to get used to)
- 1000euros max

Any ideas?

How is the XPS 15 priced?

Problem is, there aren't many that have been released yet, but there are a lot coming.

Acer Switch 7 Black Edition
Acer Swift 3 SF314-52
Acer Swift 3 SF315-51
Acer Aspire 5 A515
Asus VivoBook Slim S410UN
Asus Vivobook S15 S510UN
Asus Vivobook N705UN
Asus Vivobook X510UN
Asus Zenbook Flip UX561UN
Asus Vivobook Pro N580VN
Asus Zenbook UX331UN
Asus Zenbook UX430UN
HP Envy 13
HP Envy x360 15t
HP Spectre x360 15
MSI GV62 7RC
MSI GL62 7RC
MSI PL62 7RC
Xiaomi Mi Air

I know I missed a few, like some Clevo variants.

Maximum budget: Around 3000$ CAD
Max size: 17 inch and up
Planned usage: Gaming, hopefully 4k 120fps, possibly VR for Project Cars 2.

I was thinking of getting another Sager since my last one just died on me, lasted for over 4 years. Hopefully this new one can last me as long. So I hope to be able to play modern games for the next 4 years with it.

Games I like: Forza Horizon 3, GTA5, Overwatch, Redout.

Sager seems to only be available on Xoticpc, which I believe is in the US, will there be an import fee if I buy there?

Edit: Looking at the customisation, it seems like the 3k display is 120fps, but the 4k has no mention of it.

K.Jack

Maximum budget: Around 3000$ CAD
Max size: 17 inch and up
Planned usage: Gaming, hopefully 4k 120fps, possibly VR for Project Cars 2.

I was thinking of getting another Sager since my last one just died on me, lasted for over 4 years. Hopefully this new one can last me as long. So I hope to be able to play modern games for the next 4 years with it.

Games I like: Forza Horizon 3, GTA5, Overwatch, Redout.

Sager seems to only be available on Xoticpc, which I believe is in the US, will there be an import fee if I buy there?

Edit: Looking at the customisation, it seems like the 3k display is 120fps, but the 4k has no mention of it.

You would definitely pay HST + brokerage fees on an imported laptop.

You may want to consider just buying from Eurocom.

There are no 4K displays above 60Hz. 1440p/120Hz is the highest there is right now.

You would definitely pay HST + brokerage fees on an imported laptop.

You may want to consider just buying from Eurocom.

There are no 4K displays above 60Hz. 1440p/120Hz is the highest there is right now.

Is there any other laptop available in canada that fits what I want?

Basically, if you were me, what would you buy?

hitlerat

Hey guys...
I am looking for a laptop to my 10 years child...
Or should I call Minecraft machine?
The cheapest option that runs Minecraft well. On amazon.com If possible.

Thanks

K.Jack

Is there any other laptop available in canada that fits what I want?

Basically, if you were me, what would you buy?

Did you look at Eurocom's site? They are the Sager of Canada, meaning that both are selling the same Clevo laptops, with the same configurations, just under different names.

It sounds like one of the 1440p/120Hz displays will be the closest to what you want.

Mess around configuring this one. The options are only limited by how much you want to spend.

I dicked around in there just for fun to give you an idea. In did 1440p, G-Sync, i7-7700K, GTX 1070, 16GB DDR4, 250GB 850 EVO, and a 1TB 7200rpm HDD. Came out to $3131 CAD.

Hey guys...
I am looking for a laptop to my 10 years child...
Or should I call Minecraft machine?
The cheapest option that runs Minecraft well. On amazon.com If possible.

Thanks
The cheapest option and your budget are two different things.

mcw

edit: I didn't think this post was a problem, but apparently it was, so... I dunno, enjoy your thread, I guess.

K.Jack

I'm looking for a laptop that will run Final Fantasy 14 beautifully while also producing minimal heat and noise. I've got a MacBook Pro running it now, so I don't imagine I need cutting-edge PC hardware, but it would be nice to crank up the settings without burning the shit out of myself anytime I want to play this game while using my laptop on top of my lap.
I'm trying to figure out if you could've provided any less information.

Please see the OP.

Did you look at Eurocom's site? They are the Sager of Canada, meaning that both are selling the same Clevo laptops, with the same configurations, just under different names.

It sounds like one of the 1440p/120Hz displays will be the closest to what you want.

Mess around configuring this one. The options are only limited by how much you want to spend.

I dicked around in there just for fun to give you an idea. In did 1440p, G-Sync, i7-7700K, GTX 1070, 16GB DDR4, 250GB 850 EVO, and a 1TB 7200rpm HDD. Came out to $3131 CAD.

Alright I played around a bit and I have a few questions.

1. G-Sync, is it worth the 115$ asked?
2. The "Unlocked Bios + delidded K-series CPU" for 150$, does that mean I cannot overclock the 7700K unless I buy this?
3. Switching the SATA3 256GB SSD for a NVMe one for 130$, worth?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
edit: I didn't think this post was a problem, but apparently it was, so... I dunno, enjoy your thread, I guess.

Look into MSI, they seem to have good cooling in terms of noise and heat. Also a GTX 1060 would probably suit you well.

Frys had one on sale for $995 a day or two ago, albeit it was their thinness model, but it might have still suited you.

K.Jack

Seriously? Why are you acting like that?

There is a request in the OP, for how to make requests. This is it:

There will now be mandatory format requirements for "I need a laptop" posts.

This is information we need included in your request for help finding the right laptop, so posts don't have to be wasted with asking and waiting for the simplest of information. Failure to comply may cause your post to be ignored. Simple inclusions:

Country where it will be purchased.
Maximum budget
Max size (can be in screen inches, dimensions, weight).
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all). Ideally you'll point out what resolution and settings are your standard, based off of what I've laid out in the OP.
Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc.
Note: If you're from outside of North America, please provide links to a few of your countries laptop retailers.

You didn't provide your country, your budget, your size needs, anything. What is a person supposed to recommend, in that case? That's all I was pointing out.

2. The "Unlocked Bios + delidded K-series CPU" for 150$, does that mean I cannot overclock the 7700K unless I buy this?

1. Yes.
2. No, you absolutely can OC the 7700K without whatever their special BIOS does for you, through the Intel XTU Windows software. I would not pay $150, regardless of whatever they say it does.

K.Jack

I can partially take the blame for this though.

Minsc would you mind adding (Please See OP) to the end of the thread title?

Tizoc

How is the XPS 15 priced?

Problem is, there aren't many that have been released yet, but there are a lot coming.

Acer Switch 7 Black Edition
Acer Swift 3 SF314-52
Acer Swift 3 SF315-51
Acer Aspire 5 A515
Asus VivoBook Slim S410UN
Asus Vivobook S15 S510UN
Asus Vivobook N705UN
Asus Vivobook X510UN
Asus Zenbook Flip UX561UN
Asus Vivobook Pro N580VN
Asus Zenbook UX331UN
Asus Zenbook UX430UN
HP Envy 13
HP Envy x360 15t
HP Spectre x360 15
MSI GV62 7RC
MSI GL62 7RC
MSI PL62 7RC
Xiaomi Mi Air

I know I missed a few, like some Clevo variants.

There is a list in Notebookcheck site for MX150 laptops I can't put links on ps4.

Search MX150 then click on MX150 benchmark go to the bottom of the page you'll find it.

Will do, thanks for the info gang.

K.Jack

Sorry, I missed question 3.

I think a larger SATA3 SSD is worth more than a smaller that's NVMe. A 500-512GB SATA 3 is better than a 256GB NVMe. I'm mostly against smallish SSDs in general.

NVMe is a luxury for people with extra money.

Switched my 2014 Macbook the other month for a 4 month old Alienware 15 R3 i7 with a 1060 card and 256SSD/1TB HDD and on site warranty till 2020. Got £650 for the Macbook and paid £820 for the Alienware. Seemed a pretty good price for the spec.

K.Jack

New ASUS ROG G703 was announced.

It has a screen we've never seen before, a 1080p IPS, 144Hz G-Sync, and ASUS is claiming 7ms response times.

If it lives up to their hype, it's a huge leap forward for laptop screen technology. Low response time IPS has been a tong time coming.
Switched my 2014 Macbook the other month for a 4 month old Alienware 15 R3 i7 with a 1060 card and 256SSD/1TB HDD and on site warranty till 2020. Got £650 for the Macbook and paid £820 for the Alienware. Seemed a pretty good price for the spec.

You won.

I'm been playing around a bit and found this.

A computer specced to my dream specs on eurocom (GTX 1080, 7700K), come to 4134$, plus tax, according to http://www.calculconversion.com/, comes to 4753.07 for quebec.

On xoticpc, the same spec machine comes to 3039.98$ USD, which, when importing has no duty, and according to https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/, would cost me 4256.18 CAD, which is 500$ CAD cheaper.

This is literally a free upgrade from a 1070 to a 1080.

Is this a good deal or am I dumb because I forgot something important?

K.Jack

How exactly are you getting around the import fees?

I've had Canadians explain what has to be paid, and none of them mentioned a foolproof way to bypass these charges.

I know you 100% of the time have to pay the HST/GST.

How exactly are you getting around the import fees?

I've had Canadians explain what has to be paid, and none of them mentioned a foolproof way to bypass these charges.

I know you 100% of the time have to pay the HST/GST.

Right here: https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator

HST and GST have to be paid, which amount to 500$CAD-ish for a 3000$USD laptop, but Duty is of 0$, still comes back 500$ CAD cheaper than the eurocom equivalent.

Rocking a HP Pavilion Power Gaming laptop at the moment, quad core Intel i5-7300HQ with a GeForce GTX 1050. Kicking myself for not holding out to get the Intel i7 model, but I think at £699 and having used the machine for a few days I'm super happy with it. Doom absolutely flies on this thing, it has handled any game I've tried on it like a dream, and the speed is unreal compared to what I was using before (a rather pathetic dual-core AMD A6 with a low-end Radeon 7XXX series graphics unit). To give you an idea at how terrible that machine was, it struggled on Outlook and Facebook. Seriously. It was barely able to run those. It was about £300 in 2013 or so, so pretty low-end even for the time and quite ancient. My new machine destroys it by comparison.

Anyway, checking in to this thread because I wanted to ask, is there a good place to keep track of new gaming laptop announcements? Like, tracking new machines and their tech as they're announced outside of checking stores?

Basically, since this machine is so good for the moment, I'm thinking of upgrading in a 6 to 12 month timeframe, now I have the funds to do so, so want to hold out for a better HP Pavilion Power machine down the road. Best place to keep track of new products?

Any help would be appreciated!

PS: Back-lit keyboards are a game changer. Seriously. If you're getting a new machine, get a back-lit keyboard.

Mrbob

New ASUS ROG G703 was announced.

It has a screen we've never seen before, a 1080p IPS, 144Hz G-Sync, and ASUS is claiming 7ms response times.

If it lives up to their hype, it's a huge leap forward for laptop screen technology. Low response time IPS has been a tong time coming.

You won.

IPS screen 144 hz, nice. Is there a reason why we don't see laptop screens go to 1440P often? I see 1080P or 4k many times with nothing in between. Even here it's another 1080P panel.

Think I found a video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Ihde_KeUw

K.Jack

Right here: https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator

HST and GST have to be paid, which amount to 500$CAD-ish for a 3000$USD laptop, but Duty is of 0$, still comes back 500$ CAD cheaper than the eurocom equivalent.

Oh you were including HST and such. Yeah then you definitely should go the US route.

Also, earlier you mentioned that you thought Xotic was the only place to buy them. That isn't true. You can even buy direct from Sager, which is what I usually recommend.

Whatever you do, make sure you pay extra for the two way shipping from Canada.

Anyway, checking in to this thread because I wanted to ask, is there a good place to keep track of new gaming laptop announcements? Like, tracking new machines and their tech as they're announced outside of checking stores?

Basically, since this machine is so good for the moment, I'm thinking of upgrading in a 6 to 12 month timeframe, now I have the funds to do so, so want to hold out for a better HP Pavilion Power machine down the road. Best place to keep track of new products?

Anandtech, Notebook Check, Endgaget, really all of the major tech sites cover gaming laptops.

IPS screen 144 hz, nice. Is there a reason why we don't see laptop screens go to 1440P often? I see 1080P or 4k many times with nothing in between. Even here it's another 1080P panel.

Think I found a video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Ihde_KeUw

It's really just an availability issue, as they can only offer what the panel makers are willing to produce. There is only one 17.3" 1440p 120Hz display available right now, and its technical specs are pretty shite. That's why few manufacturers are using it.

I'm sure all of the laptop makers will immediately jump to 1440p, when a good screen comes available. For right now they are going to focus on the best 1080p panels they can get.

K.Jack

Man that screen looks beautiful. Fuuuuu I want it, even though I'm not buying an ASUS to get it.

I can only pray that the next generation of MSIs pick up something similar. My GT73 has the best TN ever put in a laptop, but damn I'd love to have a high refresh, low response time IPS.

I wonder what the color gamut reaches, it looks super vivid in the YT vid.

Every once in a while during the time I'm gaming, the whole game would freeze for a second or two and then go back to bornal. This has been happening in almost every game I've played.

Is there a fix or an explanation?

Oh you were including HST and such. Yeah then you definitely should go the US route.

Also, earlier you mentioned that you thought Xotic was the only place to buy them. That isn't true. You can even buy direct from Sager, which is what I usually recommend.

Whatever you do, make sure you pay extra for the two way shipping from Canada.

Will do.

It's really just an availability issue, as they can only offer what the panel makers are willing to produce. There is only one 17.3" 1440p 120Hz display available right now, and its technical specs are pretty shite. That's why few manufacturers are using it.

I'm sure all of the laptop makers will immediately jump to 1440p, when a good screen comes available. For right now they are going to focus on the best 1080p panels they can get.

Wait that's the 3k 120hz screen that's on the Sager I'm looking at? What's shite about it? I might be able to live with it depending on what it is.

Every once in a while during the time I'm gaming, the whole game would freeze for a second or two and then go back to bornal. This has been happening in almost every game I've played.

Might be a loading? Maybe your hard drive is having trouble keeping up. What game and what hard drive are you using?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey guys, I just picked up a Lenovo Legion Y520 from Costco for $999, but I see that Amazon has the Acer Helios 300 for under $200 more after taxes. The main difference is that the Helios has a 1060 and the Lenovo has a 1050ti, but despite this it seems to get better reviews. Is it worth returning the Lenovo for the Acer?

shockdude

Multiple games and it's a 1 TB hard drive inside the laptop.

But to name a few, Unreal 2004, KotOR 2, Age of Mythology, StarCraft Remastered and 2, etc.
Is it a literal second or just a sub-second hitch?
Could be the HDD. Could also be VSync weirdness, which you can check by temporarily disabling VSync.
Could even be really quick throttling, which you can verify by checking the CPU and GPU temperatures and/or the clocks.

Check your temperatures, I had a similar problem with my first Alienware 15. It got too hot and throttled down. Everytime it did that my games froze for 1-2 seconds.

Is it a literal second or just a sub-second hitch?
Could be the HDD. Could also be VSync weirdness, which you can check by temporarily disabling VSync.
Could even be really quick throttling, which you can verify by checking the CPU and GPU temperatures and/or the clocks.

Check your temperatures, I had a similar problem with my first Alienware 15. It got too hot and throttled down. Everytime it did that my games froze for 1-2 seconds.
It's probably the temperature and yeah sorry it's more like a half-second to full second hitch.

I don't know how to lower it though. I keep the laptop charging almost all the time.

The laptop does sometimes get hot enough where if I have a bit of my arm on the laptop it starts to burn.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey guys, I just picked up a Lenovo Legion Y520 from Costco for $999, but I see that Amazon has the Acer Helios 300 for under $200 more after taxes. The main difference is that the Helios has a 1060 and the Lenovo has a 1050ti, but despite this it seems to get better reviews. Is it worth returning the Lenovo for the Acer?

Answering myself- I went ahead and ordered the Helios. Just seemed silly to keep the Legion when for a bit more I can get a 1060. Less storage space, sure, but that can be easily upgraded.

Rocking a HP Pavilion Power Gaming laptop at the moment, quad core Intel i5-7300HQ with a GeForce GTX 1050. Kicking myself for not holding out to get the Intel i7 model, but I think at £699 and having used the machine for a few days I'm super happy with it. Doom absolutely flies on this thing, it has handled any game I've tried on it like a dream, and the speed is unreal compared to what I was using before (a rather pathetic dual-core AMD A6 with a low-end Radeon 7XXX series graphics unit). To give you an idea at how terrible that machine was, it struggled on Outlook and Facebook. Seriously. It was barely able to run those. It was about £300 in 2013 or so, so pretty low-end even for the time and quite ancient. My new machine destroys it by comparison.

PS: Back-lit keyboards are a game changer. Seriously. If you're getting a new machine, get a back-lit keyboard.

Sounds similar spec to the Dell I got the other half recently. i5 with the 4GB GTX 1050 and a 256SSD that came to £630 after £100 rebate from Very. She just uses it for Sims 4 and that's running everything on highest settings and she loves it.

K.Jack

Wait that's the 3k 120hz screen that's on the Sager I'm looking at? What's shite about it? I might be able to live with it depending on what it is.

When they first came out in the Alienware, people were reporting color banding. Someone sent me a shot of it:
1440Issue.jpg

Turns out that it's just a characteristic of the screen, according to what someone who works at Alienware posted on Twitter. They regretted using the screen and were going to try to source better panels.

More relevant to you, here is a thread on the screen, from the Sager forum on Notebook Review. Someone also posted a picture in there.

Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

This was many months ago, and they (speaking of Alienware) were supposed to be getting those flawed panels out of the channel.

I just felt it'd be right to bring this up, as something for which to look out when you get it.

Notebook Check reviewed it in the Aorus X7, and the Alienware 17.

Specs:
Brightness is good, contrast is okay, color gamut is mediocre.

Technically it's just okay, which is totally a screen snob thing of me to say.

It's probably the temperature and yeah sorry it's more like a half-second to full second hitch.

I don't know how to lower it though. I keep the laptop charging almost all the time.

The laptop does sometimes get hot enough where if I have a bit of my arm on the laptop it starts to burn.

Have you tried running a game on the SSD? Does it happen there?

I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's temps, just download something like HWMonitor and run it while gaming.

Answering myself- I went ahead and ordered the Helios. Just seemed silly to keep the Legion when for a bit more I can get a 1060. Less storage space, sure, but that can be easily upgraded.

Good choice.

When they first came out in the Alienware, people were reporting color banding. Someone sent me a shot of it:

What am I looking for? I have no idea what color banding is.

Also hybrid 2tb shdd, good bad average?
Better to go with two 1tb 7200rpm?

Eurocom is same build quality as Sager? Turns out is miscalculated and they end up almost exactly the same price.

I'm probably ordering tonight!

K.Jack

What am I looking for? I have no idea what color banding is.

Also hybrid 2tb shdd, good bad average?
Better to go with two 1tb 7200rpm?

Eurocom is same build quality as Sager? Turns out is miscalculated and they end up almost exactly the same price.

I'm probably ordering tonight!

Eurocom and Sager are selling the exact same Clevo laptops. Clevo makes them in Taiwan, then sells them to those companies, who in turn supply all of North America.

My decision between one SSHD and 2 HDDs would come down to the cost, and I'd also be checking whether a 1TB SSD is anywhere near those costs.

Where was the error in miscalculating the cost?

Eurocom and Sager are selling the exact same Clevo laptops. Clevo makes them in Taiwan, then sells them to those companies, who in turn supply all of North America.

My decision between one SSHD and 2 HDDs would come down to the cost, and I'd also be checking whether a 1TB SSD is anywhere near those costs.

Where was the error in miscalculating the cost?

An upgrade to the 2tb sshd is far cheaper than both other options, 95$ compared to 200$ for a second 1tb hdd and a whooping 500$ for an upgrade to a 1tb ssd.

I believe I might have forgotten to exchange from CAD to USD along the way. They all come up to the same price within 30$ CAD, but I will order from eurocom due to cheaper shipping, and no cross-border shenanigans.

Edit: Ok seriously last question (maybe), is a professional display calibration for 85$ CAD worth it?

K.Jack

Edit: Ok seriously last question (maybe), is a professional display calibration for 85$ CAD worth it?

Nope. If you look on either review I linked above, Notebook Check has calibrated the screens with professional tools, and included the ICC profile in the display section.

Top Bottom