• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Donos

Not really searching a gaming laptop but a high end slim laptop in the 13 - 14" range.
Lit keyboard
At least 6 hours for normal surfing.

Asus Zenbook 3 Deluxe
HP Spectre
Dell XPS 13

One of the cons of the Asus compared to the others is the only 1080p screen. But is the higher res really better for normal surfing etc? Those higher res panels seem to drain the battery more.

Tested the Asus at a local store and that mofo is a real hotty. Have to check out the other two.

Anyone here with experience with these 3 ? Also open for other recommendations. Not interested in Tablet/laptop hybrids (Lenovo Yoga, Spectre 360 etc.)

I understand that.

What I'm asking is are external GPUs limited to those few Razer and alienware laptops or are there general purpose external caddies that can be hooked up to any laptop with a thunderbolt port?

The Razer Core is only designed to work with Razer laptops, so getting them to run on Razer laptops needs a bit of work. I believe that the Asus external graphics was designed to work with all laptops with thunderbolt 3.0, but be aware that there are two versions of thunderbolt 3.0. One is 2 lanes, and the other is 4 lanes. The latter should be what you are looking for for the least amount of bottleneck. Regardless, having an external graphics is not as practical as it sounds. Thunderbolt 3.0 still demands substantial overhead to be able to run on external graphics meaning less performance compared to using it in a desktop. You would be spending $600+ on a graphics amplifier and graphics card combo assuming you want at least a GTX 1060 or RX 580 in there.

The Razer Core is only designed to work with Razer laptops, so getting them to run on Razer laptops needs a bit of work. I believe that the Asus external graphics was designed to work with all laptops with thunderbolt 3.0, but be aware that there are two versions of thunderbolt 3.0. One is 2 lanes, and the other is 4 lanes. The latter should be what you are looking for for the least amount of bottleneck. Regardless, having an external graphics is not as practical as it sounds. Thunderbolt 3.0 still demands substantial overhead to be able to run on external graphics meaning less performance compared to using it in a desktop. You would be spending $600+ on a graphics amplifier and graphics card combo assuming you want at least a GTX 1060 or RX 580 in there.

Thanks for the response.

My budget is tight so I was thinking I could get a laptop soon and take a hit on the gfx card then at a later date grab an external card + enclosure.

This is not recommended by the sound of things.

Roubjon

So I've used my new Aspire VX for a week now and I have some more impressions:

Positive:
- SSD Drives are amazing. The thing boots up and shuts down in less than 10 seconds.
- I definitely notice the GPU upgrade: Overwatch runs really well and can get a stable 60FPS on medium settings.
- Windows 10 is cool.
- I really like the feel of the keyboard.

Negative:
- I feel like the contrast levels are off on the display. Everything is very dark and intense and when I increase the brightness it just hurts my eyes. I'm sure there's a way to manually adjust this right?
- For some reason the game I'm working on is now running more slowly? It's created a troubleshooting nightmare for me lol. Regardless, it's probably an issue I would have ran into eventually, so it'll only make the game better optimized.

Quixzlizx

So I've used my new Aspire VX for a week now and I have some more impressions:

Positive:
- SSD Drives are amazing. The thing boots up and shuts down in less than 10 seconds.
- I definitely notice the GPU upgrade: Overwatch runs really well and can get a stable 60FPS on medium settings.
- Windows 10 is cool.
- I really like the feel of the keyboard.

Negative:
- I feel like the contrast levels are off on the display. Everything is very dark and intense and when I increase the brightness it just hurts my eyes. I'm sure there's a way to manually adjust this right?
- For some reason the game I'm working on is now running more slowly? It's created a troubleshooting nightmare for me lol. Regardless, it's probably an issue I would have ran into eventually, so it'll only make the game better optimized.

Do the Aspire VX' still have the problem where NumLock defaults to off and there's no way to fix it?

bearfiesta

Neo Member
So I've got $1100 to spend in the US. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Aspire VX and the Helios 300, both Acer obviously. I've heard that the 1050ti in the Aspire will give me much better battery life while not gaming, as opposed to the 1060 in the Helios... Is it really that big of a difference to give up the extra horse power though? Keep in mind part of the reason for the laptop is to be used in places that may or may not have an outlet for charging for at least an hour or two at a time.

Also always open for other suggestions if anyone has them in my price range (willing to stretch ~$100 if I have to).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Not really searching a gaming laptop but a high end slim laptop in the 13 - 14" range.
Lit keyboard
At least 6 hours for normal surfing.

Asus Zenbook 3 Deluxe
HP Spectre
Dell XPS 13

One of the cons of the Asus compared to the others is the only 1080p screen. But is the higher res really better for normal surfing etc? Those higher res panels seem to drain the battery more.

Tested the Asus at a local store and that mofo is a real hotty. Have to check out the other two.

Anyone here with experience with these 3 ? Also open for other recommendations. Not interested in Tablet/laptop hybrids (Lenovo Yoga, Spectre 360 etc.)

High res screens are only worthwhile, when you have a specific reason to need onne.

What kind of video card and cpu combination can handle 4k 60fps video editing?

Read this.

So I've got $1100 to spend in the US. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Aspire VX and the Helios 300, both Acer obviously. I've heard that the 1050ti in the Aspire will give me much better battery life while not gaming, as opposed to the 1060 in the Helios... Is it really that big of a difference to give up the extra horse power though? Keep in mind part of the reason for the laptop is to be used in places that may or may not have an outlet for charging for at least an hour or two at a time.

Also always open for other suggestions if anyone has them in my price range (willing to stretch ~$100 if I have to).

Always take the fastest GPU available.

Orbit_shadow

Neo Member
I'm thinking of buying an XPS 15 9560 from the Dell outlet store.
It's the thinnest laptop i could find that has a gtx1050 and doesn't look like a gaming laptop.

However, browsing forums seems to bring up a lot of QA issues regarding the XPS line. Would anyone here have any input on this?
I'm not sure if QA is really that bad, or it is just opinion bias based on a tiny majority.

Fox318

Take some pics lol
I will tomorrow.

I was really fucking worried since it wasn't unibody but everything you touch is metal and it feels solid as fuck.

This is such an upgrade over my old MSI laptop.

The keyboard is great and the screen is great.

Only complaint so far is the trackpad is kinda odd how on clicks it doesn't register a right click but if I tap with two fingers it does.

I'm glad I got the black. I was in a Starbucks doing some work on it and it blended right in.

I will tomorrow.

I was really fucking worried since it wasn't unibody but everything you touch is metal and it feels solid as fuck.

This is such an upgrade over my old MSI laptop.

The keyboard is great and the screen is great.

Only complaint so far is the trackpad is kinda odd how on clicks it doesn't register a right click but if I tap with two fingers it does.

I'm glad I got the black. I was in a Starbucks doing some work on it and it blended right in.

How’s the battery life for non gaming stuff?

Fox318

How’s the battery life for non gaming stuff?

When I had it doing web browing I was shocked at how little was drained from the battery.

I mean my old machine had a Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz, Radeon HD 5870, 6GB DDR3 Ram, and a 7.2k hd.

This new thing feels like a sports car.

jayr281

Anyone ever get an Eluktronics laptop? I've been eyeing it for a while. Might wait until around Thanksgiving to pull the trigger.

Estellex

Hey all,

The Aspire VX came in the mail today and it rules. That feeling of getting a new laptop is awesome. The build quality seems really fantastic too, and everything looks sharp and nice.

It's also the first time I've had to use Windows 10, so that's something lol. Spent a lot of time uninstalling dumb applications that were already installed.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Definitely. I love the smell of a new laptop. So nostalgic.

When I had it doing web browing I was shocked at how little was drained from the battery.

I mean my old machine had a Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz, Radeon HD 5870, 6GB DDR3 Ram, and a 7.2k hd.

This new thing feels like a sports car.

I currently have a MSi laptop. While I love it for gaming (I have a model with a 1070) it’s becoming cumbersome for my current computing needs. I am deciding whether I should do aiming crazy like getting an Aero 15 as a machine I can carry around, or just do the sensible financial thing and get a cheaper, smaller laptop with great battery life.

K.Jack

I'm thinking of buying an XPS 15 9560 from the Dell outlet store.
It's the thinnest laptop i could find that has a gtx1050 and doesn't look like a gaming laptop.

However, browsing forums seems to bring up a lot of QA issues regarding the XPS line. Would anyone here have any input on this?
I'm not sure if QA is really that bad, or it is just opinion bias based on a tiny majority.

My input is that you should believe that there are QA issues.

That doesn't mean you will run into them, just like you can walk blindfolded through a minefield and not lose a leg.

I currently have a MSi laptop. While I love it for gaming (I have a model with a 1070) it’s becoming cumbersome for my current computing needs. I am deciding whether I should do aiming crazy like getting an Aero 15 as a machine I can carry around, or just do the sensible financial thing and get a cheaper, smaller laptop with great battery life.

Unless you are selling the MSI, or a Big Baller, buying another expensive gaming laptop to act as a carry around, would make no sense at all.

My input is that you should believe that there are QA issues.

That doesn't mean you will run into them, just like you can walk blindfolded through a minefield and not lose a leg.

Unless you are selling the MSI, or a Big Baller, buying another expensive gaming laptop to act as a carry around, would make no sense at all.

It would either be sell the MSI and get something more portable, with better battery, and a 1060, or buy something as a dedicated school computer that is super portable and great on battery. Honestly leaning towards just getting something portable that can run stuff like Visual Studio without issues as that would be the easiest route.

K.Jack

Anyone ever get an Eluktronics laptop? I've been eyeing it for a while. Might wait until around Thanksgiving to pull the trigger.

They are good laptops.

How come no one is recommend the Dell 7567?

It seems to be a good laptop for the price.

I can confidently say the Dell 7567 has been the most widely recommended laptop in this thread.

For last gen and before games, mainly before (shit as old as Thief even), should I spend on the Surface Book with its 940mx or just go iGPU?

You need a dedicated GPU, for last gen games.

The 940MX seriously poops on even the best Intel iGPU.

So upgraded from an AMD A6 dual-core, low-end Radeon HD 7000 series APU with 6GB RAM to an Intel i5 quad-core 7300HQ with an Nvidia GTX 1050 and 8GB RAM. Cost £700 and feel it was a steal. Honestly the difference is fucking night and day. The machine is lightning quick and I can't believe I struggled with the cheap and ancient AMD machine for so long that literally could barely run simple things like Outlook and Facebook, let alone running the new Doom at 60fps as this new machine so elegantly does.

Still a bit gutted I didn't opt for the i7 model (it's a HP Pavilion Power Gaming laptop for those curious and there's a more expensive i7 version that was and still is out of stock) but I'm super happy with it. It's an awesome, super quick machine and boots up in about 10 seconds and runs nigh-on everything I've tried on it including the latest games with ease. Think I'm all good for 6 to 12 months now at the very least. Also think I'll be sticking with the Intel/Nvidia combo moving forward. Should have upgraded much, much sooner.

If I knew there'd be such a dramatic difference in speed I would have. Also backlit keyboards are incredible.

fr0st

Banned
So upgraded from an AMD A6 dual-core, low-end Radeon HD 7000 series APU with 6GB RAM to an Intel i5 quad-core 7300HQ with an Nvidia GTX 1050 and 8GB RAM. Cost £700 and feel it was a steal. Honestly the difference is fucking night and day. The machine is lightning quick and I can't believe I struggled with the cheap and ancient AMD machine for so long that literally could barely run simple things like Outlook and Facebook, let alone running the new Doom at 60fps as this new machine so elegantly does.

Still a bit gutted I didn't opt for the i7 model (it's a HP Pavilion Power Gaming laptop for those curious and there's a more expensive i7 version that was and still is out of stock) but I'm super happy with it. It's an awesome, super quick machine and boots up in about 10 seconds and runs nigh-on everything I've tried on it including the latest games with ease. Think I'm all good for 6 to 12 months now at the very least. Also think I'll be sticking with the Intel/Nvidia combo moving forward. Should have upgraded much, much sooner.

If I knew there'd be such a dramatic difference in speed I would have. Also backlit keyboards are incredible.
Should've went for the 1050ti with the Dell or Acer but 1050 still good.

Also I don't think an i7 would be that big of a leap from the i5 as long as the games are properly optimized

sibarraz

Banned
I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but since I didnt find a windows 10 OT and Im having this problem on my gaming notebook I will put it here.

Basically, my xbox app doesnt start, locking me out of all my xbox play anywhere games from me

I checked on my apps configuration and it appears that the xbox app doesnt have a file size at all (the app appears at 0 bytes while it has a data of 16 kb)

I erased the app through powershell and reinstalled it but the issue keeps happening

I cant believe that I can't play my games because of the stupid verification system that UWP games has.

I already asked through the microsoft community forum since the chat support service is closed now and on the week while I work isnt active, but I wanted tontry the shot if someone here ever had this problem

By the way, I jave restored my notebook 3 times this month since lots of problems were appearing, and this 2 weeks habe stabilized, but now this issue is very annoying.

By the way, as a reference, I cant start skype either

Izuna

Banned
Dropped my laptop when it was in my bad.

The bezel was popping off and the world slowed down ;/

Luckily it popped right back in and clipped.

So I’ll be transferring to one of two places next year for my job: Hong Kong or Japan (not sure of city yet but either Kyoto/Tokyo).

I’m definitely not shipping my PS4Pro or PC overseas so I will be selling both off before I go. I’ll buy a PS4 Slim once I get there as well as a smaller tv, but computer wise I’m looking at getting a laptop since I’ll be in anywhere from 10-18sqm.

I don’t really want to spend a ton since I use a iPad Pro as my actual computer so below $1000 but as cheap as possible really.

The main games I play aren’t super demanding: League of Legends, Visual Novels, Playerunknowns Battlegrounds. The only game that is demanding would be PUBG but hopefully that gets optimized.

Any suggestions? I’ll be coming from a 7600k/RX580 but as evidenced by the fact I’ll be going from a Pro to a Slim I don’t care about maxing everything.

ImboSlice

Hi! I'm thinking about getting the same laptop. What's your opinion on the display and the keyboard? How is battery life? I heard the fan noise is pretty bad even in idle and the lid is wobbly? Thanks in advance!

K.Jack

The i7 would not have been worth the extra money. You need to let that go already.

I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but since I didnt find a windows 10 OT and Im having this problem on my gaming notebook I will put it here.

Basically, my xbox app doesnt start, locking me out of all my xbox play anywhere games from me

I checked on my apps configuration and it appears that the xbox app doesnt have a file size at all (the app appears at 0 bytes while it has a data of 16 kb)

I erased the app through powershell and reinstalled it but the issue keeps happening

I cant believe that I can't play my games because of the stupid verification system that UWP games has.

I already asked through the microsoft community forum since the chat support service is closed now and on the week while I work isnt active, but I wanted tontry the shot if someone here ever had this problem

By the way, I jave restored my notebook 3 times this month since lots of problems were appearing, and this 2 weeks habe stabilized, but now this issue is very annoying.

By the way, as a reference, I cant start skype either
I once deleted all of the Windows apps through Powershell, and I never could get them to reinstall, no matter what online tutorial I followed.

My only recourse was to completely reinstall Windows.

Hi! I'm thinking about getting the same laptop. What's your opinion on the display and the keyboard? How is battery life? I heard the fan noise is pretty bad even in idle and the lid is wobbly? Thanks in advance!

Notebook Check has an in depth review.

Can you roll back to windows 8.1 from Windows 10 home? I bought the 7567 and it has windows 10 installed.

For people that have the 7567 there is apparently a throttling issue going on. The main culprit appears to be the Windows 10 creator update that rolled out and some users have apparently reported throttling issues because of it.

Anyone with that laptop want to chime in? http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20014655

That could be easily disproven, if it does or don't happen on a previous version of Windows 10.

Almost everyone in the link says it's a power limitation, btw.

sibarraz

Banned
The i7 would not have been worth the extra money. You need to let that go already.

I once deleted all of the Windows apps through Powershell, and I never could get them to reinstall, no matter what online tutorial I followed.

My only recourse was to completely reinstall Windows.

Ouch, this is not like restoring your system to Factory settings right?

ty_hot

I have an old laptop (from 2013, i3 4gb ram, some shitty nvidia gfx) and I want to change the HDD for an SSD.

How am I supposed to make the change? Easiest way? I mean, do I just copy the contents of the HDD (image) and put it in and SSD? I am actually afraid of losing my Windows License in the process (it came pre installed), I dont care if I need to reinstall all my stuff.

Izuna

Banned
Got a dead pixel.

I noticed it as it happened.

Any non bs solutions to this? ;( it's red, the worse possible colour.

Top Bottom