• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Anandtech, Notebook Check, Endgaget, really all of the major tech sites cover gaming laptops.

Thanks dude. However what I really wanted to know is, let's say HP announces a new Power gaming laptop, where would be the best place to check for the announcement and specs, prior to the machine appearing in stores? If that makes sense? One of the sites you mentioned? A link or something would be awesome.

fr0st

Banned
is it safe to oc a laptop gpu?

i downloaded the msi afterburner thing and am not sure if its safe to do so.

I have the lenovo legion y520 with the i5 7300hq and gtx 1050ti

I would never recommend overclocking a laptop unless it was advertised to be able to do so. The cooling solution on most laptops are very limited and usually run at maximum capacity to be able to cool a laptop during load. Adding an overclock just makes things worse and might even shorten the lifespan of your system. Now since it's a pascal GPU I wouldn't even bother with it since the GPU already overclocks itself when it sees fit. GPU boost 3.0 is amazing IMO and it adjusts the clock speed based on the cooling capacity of the system.

fr0st

Banned
I would never recommend overclocking a laptop unless it was advertised to be able to do so. The cooling solution on most laptops are very limited and usually run at maximum capacity to be able to cool a laptop during load. Adding an overclock just makes things worse and might even shorten the lifespan of your system. Now since it's a pascal GPU I wouldn't even bother with it since the GPU already overclocks itself when it sees fit. GPU boost 3.0 is amazing IMO and it adjusts the clock speed based on the cooling capacity of the system.

alright thanks

i tried boosting it by 150 MHz and it was fine

also lenovo has an extreme cooling option so i wonder if that can help with cooling a bit

Detox

I've been looking at gaming laptops recently and had a couple of questions. So far the cheapest 1060 I've found in the UK is:

Asus ROG Strix GL702VM Core I5-6300HQ 8GB 1TB + 128GB SSD GeForce 6GB GTX 1060 17.3 Inch G-Sync Wind

What is the build quality like on these? I'm used to a macbook lasting 5+ yrs would I get something similar out of this? Obviously specs for gaming will be outdated but just for general use.

What is it like using a gaming laptop for general office work etc is the battery life sufficient to take out for 4-5 hrs or do you always need to be near a power supply?

I've been looking at gaming laptops recently and had a couple of questions. So far the cheapest 1060 I've found in the UK is:

Asus ROG Strix GL702VM Core I5-6300HQ 8GB 1TB + 128GB SSD GeForce 6GB GTX 1060 17.3 Inch G-Sync Wind

What is the build quality like on these? I'm used to a macbook lasting 5+ yrs would I get something similar out of this? Obviously specs for gaming will be outdated but just for general use.

What is it like using a gaming laptop for general office work etc is the battery life sufficient to take out for 4-5 hrs or do you always need to be near a power supply?

There are a few on Scan at £999 with 1060, was looking at getting one myself.

Yeah I saw those, I think the 6 Vs 3 gb vram is worth £100 extra.

Yeah that true, however I think I'm going to go with the larger SD and slightly faster cpu. In all honesty I just want mine for WoW, since I maybe spending some time in hospital over the coming months and need to keep the raiding team together. My desktop 980 will do for other games when I'm at home. Pity I missed the 1070 Medion at £1300 ish on Argos, would have stretched the budget for that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Absolutely safe. You should be able to get close to any speed the 1050 Ti hits on the desktop side, as long as the temps stay below 90C.

I'm sorry but this advice is a bit misguided..

All that matters are temperatures. If the GPU has plenty of room temp wise, you're just leaving performance on the table by not overclocking.

I've been buying gaming laptops for over a decade, and I've overclocked all of them. There are shit laptops out here, but these days I find them few and far between.

Here is a good review of the chassis. Different CPU, but same generation of the laptop.

Plum

*Finally decide that I'm going to watch my budget and buy a refurbished Alienware*

*A sale starts and decimates the entire stock before I even had a chance*

Fuck

Absolutely safe. You should be able to get close to any speed the 1050 Ti hits on the desktop side, as long as the temps stay below 90C.

I'm sorry but this advice is a bit misguided..

All that matters are temperatures. If the GPU has plenty of room temp wise, you're just leaving performance on the table by not overclocking.

I've been buying gaming laptops for over a decade, and I've overclocked all of them. There are shit laptops out here, but these days I find them few and far between.

Here is a good review of the chassis. Different CPU, but same generation of the laptop.

Speaking of overclocking, what kind of overclock do you recommend for my eurocom? GTX 1080 and 7700K.

fr0st

Banned
Speaking of overclocking, what kind of overclock do you recommend for my eurocom? GTX 1080 and 7700K.

man do you really need to OC that

anyways i added 150 MHz to the core clock and everything seems fine

I also have extreme cooling on to offset the extra temps and it seems fine so far when im playing dota 2 and rainbow six siege

Pif

Banned
Guys what's the most future-proof laptop build between these two:

7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ
16GB DDR4
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Or

Ryzen 5 1600
8GB DDR4
RX580 4GB

K.Jack

You'd need to flash an unlocked VBIOS to see the full overclocking potential.

16GB DDR4
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Or

Ryzen 5 1600
8GB DDR4
RX580 4GB

6GB VRAM is more future-proof than 4GB VRAM, while 6 cores are more future-proof than 4.

How "future-proof" you need to be, depends on how long you plan to keep the laptop.

I would go with the GTX 1060. I think the 6GB VRAM will sooner matter for being able to push higher visual fidelity, faster than 6 cores will push higher framerates.

coughlanio

16GB DDR4
GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5

Or

Ryzen 5 1600
8GB DDR4
RX580 4GB

If you can wait a couple of weeks, I'd wait for word on Coffee Lake chips. 8700HQ should be a 6C12T part and would be the better choice out of all three.

MizzouRah

Was able to pick up an Asus GX501 through work, and it is my first gaming laptop.

For travel, would you recommend going with a PS4 Controller/ G900? Is there a smaller, wireless mouse that feels just as good?

Also, are there any decent earbuds with a solid quality microphone in-line? I'd like to be able to play some team games online on the road.

Roubjon

Hey all. My current laptop is starting to make weird beeping noises, the AC adapter gets burning hot when I touch it, and the thing just feels like shit. So I'm looking to get a new laptop. Here are the specs of my current Laptop just for reference.:

Brand: Sager NP8670 (Clevo P670SA)
Display: 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Anti-Glare Ultra Bright Screen (1920x1080)
Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4720HQ (2.6GHz - 3.6GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart
Graphics Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 965M (2.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX12 (Maxwell) w/ Optimus™ Technology
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz [1x8GB] Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAM02S)

Primary Hard Drive: 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDDYY1)

Maximum budget: $1000
Max size: The past two laptops I've had were 17'' screens, and I think I'm finally sick of it and they are just way too big to carry around. I think 15'' is closer to what I want this time.
Planned usage: I'm a game developer, but I'm not creating any graphically intensive games, really. So the specs of my current laptop were good enough. I don't play too many graphically intensive games either.
Additional Notes: I'm thinking I want some SSD space this time. It would help with booting up the applications I use and the OS itself. I'd also love a laptop that has some good cooling. I do have a laptop cooler fan that I bought for my current one though, so I'd be using that anyways.

So right now I'm kinda clueless, but I saw this deal for a Sager laptop that's $100 off and it seems like it would be good enough for what I want.

NP5855 Notebook

Components
- 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor ( 6MB Smart Cache, 2.80GHz)
- 15.6" Full HD Matte Display (1920 x 1080)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory / Optimus Technology
- Stock Standard Thermal Compound
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- 8GB DDR4 SDRAM at 2400MHz - 1 X 8GB
- 250GB WD Blue M.2 SSD [+$115.00]
- 1TB 5400rpm SATA3 Hard Drive
- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

The price would be just under $1000, so its in my range. But I'm not very well versed in computer specs and don't know if this is a good deal or not.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hey all. My current laptop is starting to make weird beeping noises, the AC adapter gets burning hot when I touch it, and the thing just feels like shit. So I'm looking to get a new laptop. Here are the specs of my current Laptop just for reference.:

Brand: Sager NP8670 (Clevo P670SA)
Display: 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Matte Type" Anti-Glare Ultra Bright Screen (1920x1080)
Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Haswell Core™ i7-4720HQ (2.6GHz - 3.6GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart
Graphics Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 965M (2.0GB) GDDR5 PCI-Express DX12 (Maxwell) w/ Optimus™ Technology
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz [1x8GB] Dual Channel Memory (SKU - RAM02S)

Primary Hard Drive: 1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] (SKU - HDDYY1)

Maximum budget: $1000
Max size: The past two laptops I've had were 17'' screens, and I think I'm finally sick of it and they are just way too big to carry around. I think 15'' is closer to what I want this time.
Planned usage: I'm a game developer, but I'm not creating any graphically intensive games, really. So the specs of my current laptop were good enough. I don't play too many graphically intensive games either.
Additional Notes: I'm thinking I want some SSD space this time. It would help with booting up the applications I use and the OS itself. I'd also love a laptop that has some good cooling. I do have a laptop cooler fan that I bought for my current one though, so I'd be using that anyways.

So right now I'm kinda clueless, but I saw this deal for a Sager laptop that's $100 off and it seems like it would be good enough for what I want.

NP5855 Notebook

Components
- 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor ( 6MB Smart Cache, 2.80GHz)
- 15.6" Full HD Matte Display (1920 x 1080)
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU with 2GB GDDR5 Video Memory / Optimus Technology
- Stock Standard Thermal Compound
- Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
- 8GB DDR4 SDRAM at 2400MHz - 1 X 8GB
- 250GB WD Blue M.2 SSD [+$115.00]
- 1TB 5400rpm SATA3 Hard Drive
- Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 AC Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

The price would be just under $1000, so its in my range. But I'm not very well versed in computer specs and don't know if this is a good deal or not.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The Acer Aspire VX 15 is likely the highest specs you can get for your budget. Good sized SSD but no Hard Drive so you'll likely need an external one.

Roubjon

That Acer laptop seems great and it's almost identical to the Sager one I mentioned above. The only difference I'm seeing is it doesn't have the internal 1 TB of memory. And if I also add 16GB of ram to the Sager one instead of the 8 I listed previously it adds up to exactly $999. That would be a better purchase I think... This is stressful lol.

Tripon

I have the Acer Aspire VX15, for the under $1000 laptop market, it's either that or the Insprion that gets the most recommendations.

That Acer laptop seems great and it's almost identical to the Sager one I mentioned above. The only difference I'm seeing is it doesn't have the internal 1 TB of memory. And if I also add 16GB of ram to the Sager one instead of the 8 I listed previously it adds up to exactly $999. That would be a better purchase I think... This is stressful lol.

It's the 1050 ti that (mostly) makes the price difference vs the Sager which has a normal 1050.

Roubjon

Do you guys know if Sager installs Windows to the SSD if I choose to put one in? I'd imagine they would, right?

Walmart has the Acer Aspire VX 15 for $899. I think I'm going to just buy that. I could then buy and install another 250GB SSD or an 2TB SSHD and still be under $1000.

EDIT: Fuck me I bought it. I'm sorry wallet, but I had to.

Haden

Banned
Hi all, I own a Optimus VII (Clevo N150RD) and want to install an SSD.

Ideally I would like to do this myself, could anyone recommend an SSD (would this do?) any any other equipment I need to do this.

Also how easy is it to actually install the SSD, I would have it as a second drive, any help would be gratefully received!

Clearos

Hoping for some help here but figuring this might be asking too much.

long story short, wife defied odds and got preggo so my office is now turning into a kid room so time to sell the desktop. Want to see if it is possible to get a low budget laptop to paly pubg at very low settings.

USA
Maximum budget: $650 max
Screen Size: I don't care.
Planned usage: PUBG - very low settings, indie games

K.Jack

Hi all, I own a Optimus VII (Clevo N150RD) and want to install an SSD.

Ideally I would like to do this myself, could anyone recommend an SSD (would this do?) any any other equipment I need to do this.

Also how easy is it to actually install the SSD, I would have it as a second drive, any help would be gratefully received!

Help me understand, so I can help you,

What is the drive setup in this laptop? How many M.2 and how many 2.5" bays?

Hoping for some help here but figuring this might be asking too much.

long story short, wife defied odds and got preggo so my office is now turning into a kid room so time to sell the desktop. Want to see if it is possible to get a low budget laptop to paly pubg at very low settings.

USA
Maximum budget: $650 max
Screen Size: I don't care.
Planned usage: PUBG - very low settings, indie games

First off, congrats on the baby.

On to business, this is probably the best option. The MX150 is literally a desktop GT 1030, so you're looking at performance in the ballpark of the GTX 750 Ti.

So yeah, PUBG wouldn't be a problem. It'd be nice to have a quad core, but that won't happen in this price bracket until Coffee Lake is released.

edit: Mrbob posted some decent laptops as well, but the MX150 is actually faster than the GTX 950M.

Clearos

Thank you both. I was able to find laptops in my price range but I knew I was dancing around the line of pubg not being playable anymore, appreciate the insight.

Pulled Trigger on the MX150

Haden

Banned
Help me understand, so I can help you,

What is the drive setup in this laptop? How many M.2 and how many 2.5" bays?

I found this on the website:

Hard Drive Type1 x 9.5mm, 2.5" S-ATA HDD support
mSATA Port N/A
M.2 Port 3 x M.2 Card Slots (1 x WLAN M.2 2230, 1 x M.2 2280 SSD Slot with SATA, 1 x slot for LTE card)

The laptop comes with a hardrive but no SSD.

K.Jack

I found this on the website:

Hard Drive Type1 x 9.5mm, 2.5" S-ATA HDD support
mSATA Port N/A
M.2 Port 3 x M.2 Card Slots (1 x WLAN M.2 2230, 1 x M.2 2280 SSD Slot with SATA, 1 x slot for LTE card)

The laptop comes with a hardrive but no SSD.

Okay so you have one 2.5" slot, and one M.2 slot available for an SSD.

That means the Kingston SSD you linked above, a 2.5" SSD, would require you removing the HDD. Your M.2 slot is empty, so you'd probably want to fill that instead.

You're in the UK, yeah? Tell me your budget in GBP, and I'll help you pick the right M.2 drive.

K.Jack

Tbh I didn't notice the extra $100 rebate, that does change things if it's $1199.99 instead.

I do tend to value a larger SSD over an SSD + HDD combo. That's because SSDs cost so much more to upgrade later, while HDDs are relatively dirt cheap in the aftermarket, and a lot of people have an unused drive laying around somewhere.

For example, I found that same exact laptop I linked above at $1399,
for $1249. In this case I consider it worth the +$50 over the camo MSI just because of the 500GB SSD, even with the lack of an HDD.

I should also throw in that dodging that camo pattern is worth like $150 to me, but my priorities are rarely on the side of financial responsibility.

Haden

Banned
Okay so you have one 2.5" slot, and one M.2 slot available for an SSD.

That means the Kingston SSD you linked above, a 2.5" SSD, would require you removing the HDD. Your M.2 slot is empty, so you'd probably want to fill that instead.

You're in the UK, yeah? Tell me your budget in GBP, and I'll help you pick the right M.2 drive.

Hi that is great thanks for stopping me make a mistake.

Something for around 100 with an upper limit of 150 would be great.

Any additional insight on how to put the thing in (is it just a case of unscrewing the back and finding the right place?) would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again

Quixzlizx

Tbh I didn't notice the extra $100 rebate, that does change things if it's $1199.99 instead.

I do tend to value a larger SSD over an SSD + HDD combo. That's because SSDs cost so much more to upgrade later, while HDDs are relatively dirt cheap in the aftermarket, and a lot of people have an unused drive laying around somewhere.

For example, I found that same exact laptop I linked above at $1399,
for $1249. In this case I consider it worth the +$50 over the camo MSI just because of the 500GB SSD, even with the lack of an HDD.

I should also throw in that dodging that camo pattern is worth like $150 to me, but my priorities are rarely on the side of financial responsibility.

$1250 makes that one a lot more attractive in comparison. It has space for a HDD slot, right? I could always just transfer the one from my current laptop into this one.

ImboSlice

Hi!
Looking for a laptop replacement for my 7 years old desktop PC (which has a i5-2500K and GTX 560ti, so an oldie but goodie).
I'd like it to be very portable and thin. Would use it rather casually with light gaming (stuff like Dota 2 and Civ). No video editing or anything like that.
For now, my sight is set on a Yoga 720, but I'm not sure which model. It's between:
i5-7300HQ / GeForce GTX 1050 2GB / 256GB SSD // 1199 €
and
i7-7700HQ / GeForce GTX 1050 2GB / 512GB SSD // 1499 €
Would you say the upgrade is even worth the 300 € considering my usage? As of right now I tend towards the cheaper option.
Thanks!

fr0st

Banned
Hi!
Looking for a laptop replacement for my 7 years old desktop PC (which has a i5-2500K and GTX 560ti, so an oldie but goodie).
I'd like it to be very portable and thin. Would use it rather casually with light gaming (stuff like Dota 2 and Civ). No video editing or anything like that.
For now, my sight is set on a Yoga 720, but I'm not sure which model. It's between:
and
Would you say the upgrade is even worth the 300 € considering my usage? As of right now I tend towards the cheaper option.
Thanks!
Dell XPS 15 has similar specs you can check that out as well

K.Jack

Hi that is great thanks for stopping me make a mistake.

Something for around 100 with an upper limit of 150 would be great.

Any additional insight on how to put the thing in (is it just a case of unscrewing the back and finding the right place?) would be appreciated as well.

Thanks again

The Crucial MX300 525GB is such a good deal at £144.67, I'd really start and stop right there if the price is right. If you don't feel you need such capacity, the 275GB version is £94.20 shipped.

As far as installations, Clevos are renowned for simplicity. All you need to do is remove the bottom panel, snap the SSD into the M.2 slot, then screw it down.

$1250 makes that one a lot more attractive in comparison. It has space for a HDD slot, right? I could always just transfer the one from my current laptop into this one.

Yes the 2.5" bay will be empty, as thee 500GB SSD occupies the M.2 slot.

Hi!
and
Thanks!

No, I probably wouldn't pay that much extra.

Roubjon

Hey all,

The Aspire VX came in the mail today and it rules. That feeling of getting a new laptop is awesome. The build quality seems really fantastic too, and everything looks sharp and nice.

It's also the first time I've had to use Windows 10, so that's something lol. Spent a lot of time uninstalling dumb applications that were already installed.

Thanks for the recommendation!

K.Jack

Hey all,

The Aspire VX came in the mail today and it rules. That feeling of getting a new laptop is awesome. The build quality seems really fantastic too, and everything looks sharp and nice.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Definitely give us some impressions after you've used it for a a while.

Could anyone give me any opinions on this laptop build from PCSPECIALISTS. I've hit the top end of my budget but I need expert eyes incase there anything I'm missing or could improve on.

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
FREE code to redeem 1on1 Gamer Sensei esport coaching w/ select Intel CPUs!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
1st Hard Disk
750GB WD BLACK 2.5" WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
EK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0
USB Options
3 x USB 3.1 Type A, 2 x USB 3.1 Type C AS STANDARD
Battery
Defiance Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (60WH)
Keyboard Language
DEFIANCE SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Firefox™
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Quantity

Price £1,618.00 including VAT and delivery.

Could anyone give me any opinions on this laptop build from PCSPECIALISTS. I've hit the top end of my budget but I need expert eyes incase there anything I'm missing or could improve on.

Dude, that's a fucking awesome machine. It completely obliterates mine and I can run Doom at 60fps. It's scarily close to top of the line tech, if not the best possible machine you can get right now with any amount of money. The cost is quite expensive, but looking around it is about right for those super high-end and ridiculous specs. You'll have an amazing machine with that choice.

On a semi-related note, anyone have any advice for upgrading to a machine with a better GPU? I have a GeForce GTX 1050 and the machine came to around £700. Looking around a 1060 or 1070 jacks up the price to ridiculously high levels, similar to the machine posted above. Even jumping to a 1060 you're looking at a machine in the £1300 range.

Do you guys think prices will come down on dedicated laptop GPUs next year? I was advised by K.Jack previously to just wait it out and hold out for Volta.

Basically what I'm asking is, when will there be a machine in the sub-£1000 range with a better GPU than a GTX 1050? Potentially hard question I know!

Top Bottom