• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Quixzlizx

You don't have to remove the battery as long as it's plugged in. The 9xxm cards are also supposedly better about not throttling on battery power, but it's still better to play while plugged in if possible.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Thanks!

Something like this would do, right? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IIOUZY6/

Also, thank you for all those cleaning tips :D

Lastly, I forgot to ask this question but when I'm gaming ,is it true that the performance will be reduced if I play on battery power? If so, would you recommend playing it on AC power only and removing the battery? I'm not sure how all this works.

Yeah or something like this, which is what I use.

You don't have to remove the battery as long as it's plugged in. The 9xxm cards are also supposedly better about not throttling on battery power, but it's still better to play while plugged in if possible.

I still have concerns about how much strain the full load 900Ms will put on the battery's health, over time. But we probably won't know for a long time.

Literally just got my Sager NP8651/Clevo P650SE. My first impression is that it's very large for a 15.6" laptop. That being said, keep in mind that while this laptop is lighter and thinner compared to other comparable 15.6" Sager notebooks it is bigger in appearance overall.

bigger as in the chassis is larger?

Yeah or something like this, which is what I use.

That looks perfect. Definitely gonna buy that.

Thanks for that advice.

I still have concerns about how much strain the full load 900Ms will put on the battery's health, over time. But we probably won't know for a long time.

Now that doesn't sound good. Hope your concerns aren't true.

Quixzlizx

Anyone know whether the new GT60 has an IPS screen? I know the GT72 doesn't. I'm getting frustrated because I'd rather just pay around $1200 for a laptop with a 960M, but who knows when Nvidia is releasing it. But I'm not paying $1500+ for a 970M laptop without an SSD, IPS screen, or backlit keyboard, and for some reason both Xotic and OEMs refuse to mention whether a screen is TN or IPS.

Edit: I asked a XoticPC rep and he said it's TN, for anyone else who wants to know.

atr0cious

So recently, I lucked out and got a decent i3 laptop for $150 off craigslist. It did the job, but could barely handle things like unity. Well good news is I got robbed last night and now I need another one. But now I definitely need some power as I'm starting to get heavy into development.

I am going to build a proper desktop, but this is an emergency as I have projects and deadlines for things on my laptop that I'm going to have to recreate from scratch, but because my schedule won't allow this I really need a good laptop by tomorrow, but realistically as soon as possible.

So pretty much something that can handle a lot of memory usage for as cheap as possible. I read the first post, but don't even know where to start. Thanks for any help.

Currently looking at this, is this alright?

Asus - 90NB04L1-M05800 - 15.6'' Core i7-4710HQ 16GB 250

$1,249.00

Budget is around $1400, lower if possible.

K.Jack

Guys what do you think of this laptop

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/?sb=:000001C9:000120E7:

I can afford the price and I'm not so much into pc gaming. Do you think this is a good entry to the master race ?

Appreciate the feedback.

This instead.

So recently, I lucked out and got a decent i3 laptop for $150 off craigslist. It did the job, but could barely handle things like unity. Well good news is I got robbed last night and now I need another one. But now I definitely need some power as I'm starting to get heavy into development.

I am going to build a proper desktop, but this is an emergency as I have projects and deadlines for things on my laptop that I'm going to have to recreate from scratch, but because my schedule won't allow this I really need a good laptop by tomorrow, but realistically as soon as possible.

So pretty much something that can handle a lot of memory usage for as cheap as possible. I read the first post, but don't even know where to start. Thanks for any help.

Currently looking at this, is this alright?

Asus - 90NB04L1-M05800 - 15.6'' Core i7-4710HQ 16GB 250

$1,249.00

Budget is around $1400, lower if possible.
This instead.

Every time I visit xoticpc's page for that 14" Gigabyte with the GTX 970M the expected eta is pushed back further :(

It's been delayed to 2015.

Thin gaming laptops like that and the MSI GS line, tend to be wider than regular sized machines. It's like rolling dough: it gets much thinner, but more spread out in the process.
oh ok, I see, so it probably wouldn't fit in a standard 15.6" laptop sleeve

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Sager NP8651, the Lenovo Y50, or a completely non gaming laptop, the Yoga 2 Pro. Both Lenovo computers have price cuts for Black Friday, but I can't decide what to pick. Anyone have any thoughts? I live in the US and I'd prefer not to go over $1300 if possible.

Also, are there any other laptops with the 900 series cards coming out in the near future to be on the lookout for?

kaze2xo

Neo Member
I'm looking to pick up a laptop for University and some gaming. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

The Lenovo Y50:http://www.ncix.com/detail/lenovo-y50-notebook-i5-4200h-8gb-d2-100321-1242.htm

or the Asus ROG GM551:http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-rog-g551jm-intel-core-de-102952-1242.htm

My main concern is whether the diffrence between the i5 4200H and i7 4710HQ as well as the screen quality is worth the diffrence in price. Note that I can find the Asus for about 50 dollars less on another site. If you have any other suggestons I would be happy to hear them. I'm located in Canada btw and would like to spend under 1200.

I've been looking for a new laptop lately, trying to decide between MSI GS60 Ghost Pro or Sager NP8651.

After some consideration, I went with the Sager NP8651 with no SSDs or OS.
Going to order 2x m.2 SSDs from Amazon to put into RAID 0.

Now the waiting game begins. Hope it doesn't take too long since I opted for IC Diamond paste.

@K.Jack - for a laptop, should I stick to the Standard Thermal Paste or should I shell out an extra £9 for Arctic MX-4 Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compund?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I didn't follow the pc for years so i'm a little(=a lot) behind, i have some questions:

-When windows 10 will be released? Do you think it's better to wait for Windows 10 and notebooks made for it or there will be no problem buying one now(or even better waiting for Christmas offers) and then upgrade?

-i want a medium-low specs pc to make 2d games, it would have to run things like Visual Studio, Gimp and other paint programs, LMMS(music) and Blender(for eventual simple 3d elements) and other similar programs, would i have problems with low cpus(A10 and i3)?

-How much is the minimum for a notebook with i5 and a decent graphic card(i guess anything ending with "60" or more)?

-Are Ati and Nvidia graphics card equivalent? I saw a notebook with a Radeon R7 260, i don't see it in the op, how is compared to others? The notebook has an A10, the Radeon R7 260, 6gb ram, 750hd etc for less than 500€, is it good for what i want to do?

After many, many months, I'm finally able to post in this thread.
(Mostly because I had no clue on what I needed...)

Maximum budget: $2000
Max size: About 15 inches or so. Thin or light, as I'll be carrying it around campus. Lots of stairs.
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all):
I plan to use this laptop for my college classes, which involve entry-level computer programming courses, and I wish to play some games.
I would like them to run well at 1080p. I play everything from Rocksmith 2014 to Borderlands 2.

Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc:
My current laptop is a Dell XPS 15 L502X with an Nvidia GeForce GT 540M, and I would like something smaller, thinner, and stronger than that.
Battery life is a definite requirement, and the more the better. I plan to connect the new laptop to my two monitors, and I would like an SSD on it.

I think that's about it. >.>

Akai__

This is for a friend, I hope it's okay:

Maximum budget: About 700€
Size: 17"
Planned usage: Light work, Internet, Streaming from external USB 3.0 capture devices (if possible)
Additional: Decent battery life.

I don't really know anything about Laptops, so I don't know if this kind of setup is even possible for this price. Would appreciate your help guys.

K.Jack

@K.Jack - for a laptop, should I stick to the Standard Thermal Paste or should I shell out an extra £9 for Arctic MX-4 Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compund?

I dunno, you could do it for peace of mind if you want.

I didn't follow the pc for years so i'm a little(=a lot) behind, i have some questions:

-When windows 10 will be released? Do you think it's better to wait for Windows 10 and notebooks made for it or there will be no problem buying one now(or even better waiting for Christmas offers) and then upgrade?

-i want a medium-low specs pc to make 2d games, it would have to run things like Visual Studio, Gimp and other paint programs, LMMS(music) and Blender(for eventual simple 3d elements) and other similar programs, would i have problems with low cpus(A10 and i3)?

-How much is the minimum for a notebook with i5 and a decent graphic card(i guess anything ending with "60" or more)?

-Are Ati and Nvidia graphics card equivalent? I saw a notebook with a Radeon R7 260, i don't see it in the op, how is compared to others? The notebook has an A10, the Radeon R7 260, 6gb ram, 750hd etc for less than 500€, is it good for what i want to do?

I honestly don't know what it takes to make games.

After many, many months, I'm finally able to post in this thread.
(Mostly because I had no clue on what I needed...)

Max size: About 15 inches or so. Thin or light, as I'll be carrying it around campus. Lots of stairs.
Planned usage (what kind of games or specific games it must run, if heavily gaming at all):
I plan to use this laptop for my college classes, which involve entry-level computer programming courses, and I wish to play some games.
I would like them to run well at 1080p. I play everything from Rocksmith 2014 to Borderlands 2.

Whatever else you find relevant, misc. things such as desired battery life, screen resolution, fan noise, etc:
My current laptop is a Dell XPS 15 L502X with an Nvidia GeForce GT 540M, and I would like something smaller, thinner, and stronger than that.
Battery life is a definite requirement, and the more the better. I plan to connect the new laptop to my two monitors, and I would like an SSD on it.

I think that's about it. >.>

GS60 or GS70.

This is for a friend, I hope it's okay:

Maximum budget: About 700€
Size: 17"
Planned usage: Light work, Internet, Streaming from external USB 3.0 capture devices (if possible)
Additional: Decent battery life.

I don't really know anything about Laptops, so I don't know if this kind of setup is even possible for this price. Would appreciate your help guys.

Links to German stores?

Has anyone bought a laptop open box on Newegg before?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233058R is also available new for $1149 but open boxed for $1035.

For that price it has everything I want - a nice screen, a beefy graphics card, SSD (and a beefy regular hard drive too) and in a really compact, light package. Not sure how Newegg generally is with open box stuff not sure if its worth the $100 less or so.

Not worth it because open box means you get a 30 day warranty. Read their Open Box policy. Doesn't sound too good.

Hey guys. Looking to get my girlfriend a new laptop, budget is about £650. The only game she'll be playing is the sims 4, so I've really jsut been looking for something that hits that bar, no need for better performance. Best thing I came up that fits in the budget is this acer aspire nitro. Just wanted to check I haven't missed something or anyone has any horror stories to do with the laptop. Pretty knowledgeable on desktops but not the best on the laptop equivalents.

Lapto has an i5-4210U, & a GTX 850M, to save people scrolling for the specs in the link.

K.Jack

Hey guys. Looking to get my girlfriend a new laptop, budget is about £650. The only game she'll be playing is the sims 4, so I've really jsut been looking for something that hits that bar, no need for better performance. Best thing I came up that fits in the budget is this acer aspire nitro. Just wanted to check I haven't missed something or anyone has any horror stories to do with the laptop. Pretty knowledgeable on desktops but not the best on the laptop equivalents.

Lapto has an i5-4210U, & a GTX 850M, to save people scrolling for the specs in the link.

That would run the Sims well enough.

I don't have a clue which websites are considered good here, but here are a coupple:

http://www.mifcom.de/
http://www.ctronics-computer.de
http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/
http://www.cyberport.de/?APID=118

I don't know what it takes to stream, but these are the best specs at 700€.

K.Jack

K. Jack, what graphics level should I put for DA:I if I want smooth performance on my 780M while not looking like crap?
I just set it to High and lowered ambient occlusion to SSAO.

Plus add this to the command line in the game's Origin properties:

-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60

whats with sager's keyboard led lighting? it seems to reset itself after i turn it offf?

I have no idea. You could check the Sager forum on Notebook Review.

phierce

Max size: I'm thinking I want 17+.
Will be 95%gaming rig and 5% basic work functions. I'm starting to travel a good bit for work and need a means to game while doing so.

As far as games go...I play MMOs (currently FFXIV) and pretty much all newer games (DA: I, for example). I'd like it to run FFXIV at max or very good overall settings.

Basically want the best gaming laptop I can buy for $2000'ish. Size, as far as bulkiness, doesn't bother me either way.

Thanks for your time. Hope that's sufficient info.

K.Jack

Max size: I'm thinking I want 17+.
Will be 95%gaming rig and 5% basic work functions. I'm starting to travel a good bit for work and need a means to game while doing so.

As far as games go...I play MMOs (currently FFXIV) and pretty much all newer games (DA: I, for example). I'd like it to run FFXIV at max or very good overall settings.

Basically want the best gaming laptop I can buy for $2000'ish. Size, as far as bulkiness, doesn't bother me either way.

Thanks for your time. Hope that's sufficient info.
At $2k, the absolute most power you can get is with this Sager, with the GTX 980M added.

Add the 980M, Windows 8, and the 2 year warranty (you really want this on a machine so expensive), and you're sitting at $1958.00 even. Then I'd decide on upping the stock 120GB SSD mSATA to at least a 250GB, which would be an extra $85.

phierce

At $2k, the absolute most power you can get is with this Sager, with the GTX 980M added.

Add the 980M, Windows 8, and the 2 year warranty (you really want this on a machine so expensive), and you're sitting at $1958.00 even. Then I'd decide on upping the stock 120GB SSD mSATA to at least a 250GB, which would be an extra $85.
Awesome! I've been reading up on Sagers...I'm glad I was in the right ballpark.

I'll more than likely end up goibg this route and definitely be upping the stock 120GB.

Thanks for the info!

Donos

Someone here using a Surface Pro 3 (i7) for playing games? Don't have to be the newest ones in high settings. More something like Diablo 3, Wasteland 2 in good settings or a FPS (BF3) and older games i missed so far .

Played around with a Surface Pro 3 and holy shit i want one. Does it get very hot?

I know, it's not really for gaming but it would be perfect as all around device.

NEO0MJ

Someone here using a Surface Pro 3 for playing games? Don't have to be the newest ones in high settings. More something like Diablo 3 in good settings or a FPS (BF3) and older games i missed so far .

Played around with a Surface Pro 3 and holy shit i want one. Does it get very hot?

I think I heard that it gets hot often. It can play Diablo 3 just fine but I don't think you can get BF3 running well on its GPU. Maybe if you lower the res to 720 and set the graphics on low you can play it.

Donos

I think I heard that it gets hot often. It can play Diablo 3 just fine but I don't think you can get BF3 running well on its GPU. Maybe if you lower the res to 720 and set the graphics on low you can play it.

Thanks. Thought so. Well there is still a huge backlog of "older" and not really demanding games in my steam backlog.

K.Jack

Hey GAF, I'm still thinking about gettin the Y50 change its screen and then change the HDD for a SSD.

The problem is I was going to get this SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE256BW)

But I saw this SSD at a very nice price:
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive (MZ-7PD512BW)

But I don't get why the price is lower, is there any issue with that SSD that I should know?

You meant to link to this, right?

You need to go with the newer MX100, if you want the best price per GB

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Uriah

So my Sager laptop is in pretty poor shape. The graphics card is dead and the battery is going to shit. So I'm looking at getting a new laptop.
Going to be purchased in the United States
My current laptop screen size is 15 inches. It can be smaller than that so long as it is 1920x1080p
I plan to use the laptop for gaming. Going by the requirements in the OP something in the high range category would be nice. Mostly I will be playing CSGO but something with a little more power would be nice.
A decent battery life would be nice, but not required.
Finally, my price range is something in the 700-850 price range. I don't know if this is realistic or not. If not, please let me know.

K.Jack

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314701
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233060

How much of an upgrade is a 870 over an 860? Looking at stuff on Newegg to buy over the next few days and these are the 2 I'm looking at right now. Latter seems really good except for that obnoxious yellow color lol. Can't find a single review for the latter one though which is keeping me from just buying it now

The difference is 20-25%, but there's no way I'd buy a yellow laptop.

So my Sager laptop is in pretty poor shape. The graphics card is dead and the battery is going to shit. So I'm looking at getting a new laptop.
Going to be purchased in the United States
My current laptop screen size is 15 inches. It can be smaller than that so long as it is 1920x1080p
I plan to use the laptop for gaming. Going by the requirements in the OP something in the high range category would be nice. Mostly I will be playing CSGO but something with a little more power would be nice.
A decent battery life would be nice, but not required.
Finally, my price range is something in the 700-850 price range. I don't know if this is realistic or not. If not, please let me know.

This Buy it fast, before it sells out or the price goes back up.

Top Bottom